• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

I thought the Bob Marley tie in was "cute" as well :)

CHIMO!

(giggle) and now you'll only be able to remember that Marley read Moltke :)

(scarry thought - huh )

It is a bit weird, but not that scary.  I'm just a little surprised that a) Bob Marley appears to have enjoyed some of the same reading material as me, and that b) Marley could read in German.    ;D

Here are two easy questions:  Who commanded the German battlecruisers at Jutland, and who is credited as being the architect of the Imperial German Navy before WW I?

Some educated guesses; worthy of the answer.

The Commander of the German Battlecruisers at Jutland was Admiral Franz von Hipper (Admiral Reinhard Scheer was C-in-C), and the architect of the German Navy before WW I was, as correctly answered by mcchartman, Admiral Alfred von Tirpitz.

Geo's nod to Bismarck is quite reasonable.

Instead of another question, I offer my thanks to those soldiers of '44 who landed in Europe on June 6 from the air and the sea to take back Europe. 

redleafjumper said:
Damn! That was a fast response Anti-Royal and correct it is - Rommel's death mask (and one of his Afrika Corps Waffen frocks) is in the Dutches Panzer Museum of Munster.

What other German notable has a trade specific (clue) jacket on display in that museum?

The correct terminology is 'Waffenrock", or "dress tunic', which was the equivalent of our DEU's.

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H37755.html

if there is an Afrika Korps tunic (I am not familiar with the museum, and am not disputing that there is a tunic there.) it would be a "field tunic" or blouse.

http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H37555.html

Ja, Larry waffenrock is rechts.  Mein deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. And, it is one of Rommel's field tunics, not a dress one.
Thanks for the correction!  My German wife gave me a bit of "flak" over the mistake.  :)

waffrock.gif

Here's a look at a Waffenrock, incidentally.

New question, then.  During the US Civil War, US President Abraham Lincoln was asked by a member of his family to grant a Presidential pardon after a service offence had been committed.  Lincoln granted the pardon despite the fact that the offending party never went to trial and was never formally convicted. Which family member asked Lincoln to grant the presidental pardon, and what was the offence?

Aaron Pareira. A soldier in the Union Army during the American Civil War. He was an only son whose mother requested him at his dying father's bedside so that he could say first kaddish. His request for furlough denied by his captain, he slipped away to be with his parents. And although he returned to his base after his absence without leave and reported directly to his captain, he was court-martialed for desertion and faced the firing squad. The courts would not grant his appeal. He was perceived by the courts and the public as a deserter. His harsh punishment would serve as an example to discourage the increasing number of Union army desertions. Only his mother's direct petition to Abraham Lincoln himself could save her son's life through a Presidential Pardon. The President granted Mrs. Pareira a hearing. After reviewing all details of the case, Mr. Lincoln discerned an element of the heroic in Aaron Pareira's behavior: He had risked the certainty of severe consequences to do what his conscience dictated was the right thing to do.

In spite of tremendous public, military, and judicial pressures, Lincoln granted Pareira this exceptional pardon. Abe Lincoln's judgment was not faulty. Pareira served with devotion, advanced to become an officer and was decorated for unusual bravery in action. His name stands in history with the other great Jewish American heroes.

Each year the President of the United States pardons a turkey before Thanksgiving at a White House ceremony. The tradition's origin is uncertain. One story claims that Harry Truman pardoned a turkey in 1947, but the Truman Library has been unable to find any evidence for this. Another claims that the tradition dates back to Abraham Lincoln pardoning his son Tad's pet turkey. Both of these stories have been quoted in recent presidential speeches

Good answer, but wrong - the family member in the question who requested the pardon was from Lincoln's family, not the offender's.

Fascinating story, though, geo.

It is also not Tad's pet turkey. ;)

Still not answered then...

Michael, no seems to have gotten the answer to this one, so could you please post it and then we can move on with another question?

Thanks.

He did pardon Tad's Zouave doll after Tad had ordered his execution for sleeping on duty.

O.K In the Philippines what does K.K.K. mean
Yes it's Miiltary History.

"Kataastaasan Kagalanggalangan Na Katipunan ng Mga Anak Ng Bayan". Loosely translated to mean the "Highest and Most Respectable Society of the Sons of the People."

A nationalist movement who fought against the Spainish occupation of the Phillipines in the 1890s.

D

Edit: Source http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/ph-histo.html

Back