• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question of the Hour

Yup, that's been kinda the running rule. Ask, get an answer, maybe some discussion, then ask another.

Larry Strong said:
Who was the last Non Commissioned soldier (NCO/NCM) to receive the Knight's Cross in Berlin in WW2. What day was he awarded it? What was different about him? And what did he accomplish to receive it?

edited to clarify the question.

So, we're still working on this one?

They don't normally take this long. If we're stumped, the poser of the question should tell us the answer so we can move on.

Mr Strong?

Well, how about this guy:

Heinz Prassdorf
Obermaschinist (Navy since 1937)

Born 7 December, 1918 Rostock

Heinz Prassdorf Decorations
                   : Iron Cross 2nd class (EK II)
                   : Ubootskriegsabzeichen
                   : Iron Cross 1st class (EK I)
21/04/1945 : Knights Cross (-142-)

from: http://uboat.net/men/decorations/ritter_winners.htm

modified to add: do you get the sense I'm hoping it's a sailor?  ;)

also to add yet another guess: Christian Lohrey, awarded the RK on March 11th, 1945, he was the youngest I can find, but no details on any of these people. I'm going to have to hit the real library on this one!

Ok I was going to post a couple of hints today, but in the intrest of keeping it going here you are.

The man in question is a Frenchman by the name of Unterscharfuhrer Eugene Vanlot/Vaulot a 20 yr plumbers mate,  I have seen both versions of the spelling. It was awarded on the 29.04.45 in recognition for single handed with a "Panzerfaust" of ...Destroying 2 T-34's in Neukolln and then destroyed another 6 in less than 24 hrs....., it was awarded to him by his CO Brigadefuhrer Krukenberg, incedently at almost the same time the last RK to an Officer in Berlin was being awarded by Bdefhr Monke to a Major Herzig the Commander of 503rd SS Heavy Panzer Bn.

Eugene Vanlot was part of the escape attempt at the end. ".....And they managed to cross the Spree shortly before dawn. But they came under heavy fire just a few hundred metres short of the Gesundbrunnen U-Bahn station. Ziegler was hit by a ricochet and mortally wounded. Several others in their group also fell, among them Eugene Vanlot, the young French recipient of the Knight's Cross. He died in a nearby cellar three days later...."

Sources

The Fall of Berlin By Anthony Beevor Pg352
The Fall of Berlin Anthony bRead and David Fisher Pg447
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Orden/Ritterkreuz/RKV-R.htm

Good question, it sure had me stumped.  Now shall we look at those Romans that Rifleman Phil was asking about?

Its a pretty large topic but I can start off an answer -  pre-marian reform legions were composed of velites (skirmishers with javelins), equites (cavalry), and a three-lined infantry system of Hastati (front line, youngest soldiers), Principes (second-line, regular troops) and Triarii, the third-line veterans.  The Triarii carried spears while the hastati and principes used the classic legionary pilums and gladius swords.

A quick guess would be the Vatican assuming we are not talking about "soldiers of god"

Congrats you win.
Yup the Swiss Guard is the smallest Army in the World.

In 1944, this 39 year old US army lieutenant was a hero for his actions on Saipan, but about a decade earlier he was a hero to a great many more. Who was he, and why was he a hero in the mid 1930's?

Cheers

Whiskey,
I believe you are looking for the American Negro heavy weight  boxer from the 1936 Berlin Olympics, he won and inspired millions. Imagine the masterful Aryan race being defeated. I think this was Joe Lewis and If I am correct he also arranged for another American great to receive a commission baseball great Jackie R Robinson.

Jesse Owen............?
Same reason, kicked Aryan butt at Berlin

Jim Braddock, Heavyweight champ, lost it to Joe Lewis, joined the army as a 2 Lt

Easy one.... What is/are/were  a/the/some  "ogive"?

The pointed or curved (conical) surface used to give the shape to the nose of bullets, arty rounds, rockets, missles, etc?

good answer..... the point where the cylindrical body of a projectile begins to taper to the nose.

Back