• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about joining as a Medic

D

desjardins

i am interested in becoming a medic. how are they assigned to their positions within a regiment or battalion? do they have their own regiment and then are assigned to a battalion when they are deployed or are they assigned from the beginning and train with their battalion?

To open, good question.

First in medical services there is no regiments of battalion. The largest medical units in the CF are the Fd Ambs, 1 Can Field Hosp, and the base and area supporting units called HSOTUs (Health Support Operational Training Unit).

Once you are posted to one of these larger medical units you will be tasked to support (NOT posted) the Army, Navy or Air Force.

In Petawawa, we have 3 large med units. 2 Fd Amb provides supports to 2 CMBG, 1 CFH who support at the brigade or higher level, and CMED (central medical equipment depot) who support missions with equipment but provide no personnel.

If you want to support the Cbt arms of CSS units, you need to be posted to a Fd Amb. Once you have worked there and proven yourself (or been real lucky) you may as soon as 2yrs afterward be tasked to a unit for first line support.

Once you are at a UMS, then you are considered attached to the unit and do what they do, and provide medical support whenever they need it.

Saying all that, the system of UMS is changing and most (including me) are not sure how exactly we are going to be employed. Saying that, there will always be a spot for a fit, well educated well motivated medic to be employed with the infantry company in the field.

I have a couple of questions regarding the medic trade: Hope somone out there can answer them.

1.  If you are a medic in the airforce and you do well in your trade training, what are the chances of you being posted to a base hospital or are you going straight to a field unit?  What exactly do you do in a field unit?

2.  What is considered QL3 for a medic:  The first component of trade training which is four months in Borden plus the three months in Chiliwack, BC or is it just the Borden portion?

3.  Do you medics enjoy your trade?  Was it a good carreer choice?

First there is no such thing as a "air force" medic, only medics who support the air force. Medics do not belong to any of the three elements of teh CF, They are thier own gruoping (CFMG) under the Human Resources Military (HR Mil) director.

I will begin by telling you to read for a while all the info on the site, search out answers, and learn on your own...that is one quality of a good Med Tech, to research. Secondly, if you have been accepted as a Reg F med tech, your recruiter will also answer these questions if you ask.

to answer directly:
1. Because the majority of positions are in the army, and they have been filling all the other bases, chances are your going to the field. If you do not want that, stay home. What your role is depends on what unit you are with and what job your are doing on that particular day. You will be expected to do army stuff, like working with weapons, maintaining vehicles and medical equipment as well as doing medical job like patient care and taskings. It is the army supporting medical units who have the majority of the tasks overseas. Most of my daily task is supervising the running of a unit medical station which is like a walk-in clinic for the infantry and artillery units I support. I have another Sgt who works beside me, 2 MCpls, 8 QL 5's and 4 QL 3s who see 15-50 pts a day. Plus we support them on exercise etc. The medic see and treat patients within thier training qualifications, dispense medications, and track and keep patient records.

2. QL 3 is that. Whether your PCP training is in BC or Borden depends on what course you are on and when.

3. Some do, some don't. I love it, but there are days that fustrate me, because I really like doing my job, and doing it well. Others can't wait to get out.

Medics wear any of the 3 element uniforms, but having said that it doesn't mean you'll serve exclusivley with that element.  I have a navy medic who has never in 17 years been on ship.  I wear an army uniform and have been in an airforce unit.  Reality is you can expect to go to the army regardless of the uniform but I have many Pte here in Gagetown who have never gone to the Fd Ambs.  With so many deployments on the go, they are trying to increase the manning in the army units.  But there is a reluctance to let QL 3's on deployment.  Having said that many have gotten to go but usually as drivers and not as medics.  I know for the deployment with 2 RCR in 2007, right now no QL3's will be going.
Kirsten

I want to be a medic 

looking to join a reseve medic unit.  I have bmq/sq.  I really want to go to afghanistan, really really bad!  and soon as possible.  My quesiton is about the medic training.  How many summers will it take until iD be qualified to go to afghanistan?  How is it for medics going over?  are they in demand?  If i am a reserve medic will the army pay for a 6 month army medic course?  any kinda of info from ANYONE would be just fantastic!!! thanks guys!

P.s. i am NEW

Ladies and Gentlemen...

Gimmie an S

Gimmie an E

Gimmie an A

Gimmie an R

Gimmie an C

Gimmie an H

What do you get?

SEARCH!

I realize youre new, but seriously... give the search function a shot first. or maybe look around the forums first. we do have a dedicated CSS Sub Board just for the Medics. Try there.

in the meantime, maybe the Mods could Move or Lock this one.

Regards
  Josh

OK, tookieman, so you're new here, and you want to be a medic and you want to go to Afghanistan. So, let's start with some questions:

How old are you?

What grade are you in, or what education have you completed?

Where do you live?

Have you investigated whether there are any Reserve medical units in your city?

Are you prepared to move to a different city to join a Reserve medical unit if there are none in your own city?

Have you visited a CFRC (Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre)?

Have you investigated the requirements for enrolment on the Canadian Forces recruiting site?

Have you searched for that information here?

Have you searched for information here on training of medical personnel?

Have you found the Medical Group sub-board in the Combat Service Support and Branches Forum here?

Regarding the use of "MSN speak" versus the employment of prose which is correct in grammar, spelling and punctuation, please see: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/34015/post-260446.html#msg260446

Army.ca Conduct Guidelines: MUST READ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103977.html#msg103977

Fitness requirements at enrolment, see page 12 of this brochure:
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/media/pdf/physical_fitness_en.pdf

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

If you want to be a medic and go to Afghanistan;
Hurry up, join the Reg F, complete your BMQ and Med Tech QL 3 tng, and get to either 1 or 2 Fd Amb.  Then, possilbly, if you not junk, and work hard enough to earn the respect of Sr NCOs like me, you may possibly earn the priviledge to go over and support the troops.

Judging by you intial posts though.... ain't happening.

Prove me wrong.

As our last poster pointed out I too highly recommend you go the regular route. The only res. medic I saw on tour wasnt even working as a medic. The unfortunate thing between Reg and Res is that there are huge gaps between our readiness levels. Side by side the Reg. and Res medic who hold the same qualifications are like night and day. You absolutley want to be in the rgular force.

Guy I know will have 2 tours of Afghanistan in his first 6 year contract as a medic.

Wait a sec. 6 Year Contract? I thought it was only a 3 year contract or is it longer for medics for some reason?

New Basic Engagement for Med Techs is 6 years now because of the time and money it takes to get the person to an operational level - the government wants a bit of work and time out of you.  Oh yeah, we`re a little short of junior techs at the moment as well, so they`d like to hold on to you for a bit.

MM

Would that be 6 years for both Regular and Reserve force medics? And if its another 3 years on your contract, just how long does it actually take to become a qualified medic, and would it be the same for both the reserves and regular force?

Randy15 said:
Would that be 6 years for both Regular and Reserve force medics? And if its another 3 years on your contract, just how long does it actually take to become a qualified medic, and would it be the same for both the reserves and regular force?

Do a SEARCH!!! These have all been answered before.

How hard would it have been to answer those questions, really. And yes I will do a search so theres no need answer this.

Randy15 said:

rather simple for short answers. Quite a bit more difficult if you need explinations.

Reg F med tech, once your are complete basic tng, 18 weeks of QL 3 training before you are posted to your unit. OTJ for 24 months thru MCSP. You should also do a dvr course and possibly a comms course if you are in a fd unit. Once served 3 yrs past your QL 3 then you are placed on your 10 week QL 5. As a QL5, you are now a fully trained med tech.

The difference between Reg and Res F med techs is that they are no where near comparable.

Randy15 said:
How hard would it have been to answer those questions, really. And yes I will do a search so theres no need answer this.

Thats good, cause one of the things you need to do as a med tech is learn to research your own answers.

Thanks for your help, I still have a couple questions and I'm a little unclear about some things but I'll just PM you about them.

I have decided to join the CF. I want to be a medic. I was reading the sub board and got kind of confused. Is the medic trade in need of people or not?

DanielleAnne said:
I have decided to join the CF. I want to be a medic. I was reading the sub board and got kind of confused. Is the medic trade in need of people or not?

We are currently recruiting all trades for the next FY and as long as you meet the minimum educational requirements (High School Diploma with Gr 12 Biology and Gr 12 Chemistry or Physics) you can apply for Med Tech and if you are deemed suitable you may be merited for a position and if selected in competition with all the other Med Tech wannabes you may be offered a position.

Back