• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Super Thread

Shamrock said:
Interesting. While we had no members who had fallen from grace per the deselection instruction, we did have several posted in or out. Just a simple case of sending the medal to the gaining unit. I'd question the veracity of your source.
The medal was sent to my new unit.  It followed me here.  The use of the term "blading" was meant to infer they did me a disservice by nominating me and that I wasn't able to escape being awarded it by being posted.

Hence why i said that there are a fair number of people who regard this medal with a certain amount of contempt.

Oh, ok.  Now I see what you meant.

I don't necessarily agree that it's a dishonour, but I at least understand what you meant.

Two more recipients:

The Parliamentary Budget Officer, presented by Senator Colin Kenny: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Budget+watchdog+turns+federal+court+gambit+data+spending/7591099/story.html

The MND's wife, presented by Senator Rod Zimmer: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/Nazanin+Afshin+honoured+with+Diamond+Jubilee+Award/7591419/story.html

Shamrock said:
Oh, ok.  Now I see what you meant.

I don't necessarily agree that it's a dishonour, but I at least understand what you meant.
I should've adde there was a certain degree of jest with the comment.

Not a dishonour but some see it as just well, lame, I guess?

You served with distinction and were recognized for it.  Sure, some recipients received it for being a General's coffee boy, but that doesn't cheapen your being awarded it.

Same as the CD.  Some see it as an attendance award, but really, it's 12 years of service in a nation where few are willing to serve.

Shamrock said:
Same as the CD.  Some see it as an attendance award, but really, it's 12 years of service in a nation where few are willing to serve.

Well said and a good point.

Like DD, I too just found out I'll be receiving one in a week or two, and honestly don't know what I think of it. Is it a crackerjack box medal? To some yes, particularly when you see the distribution among senior leadership. But knowing who nominated me, and why, at least helps me feel a faint twinge of pride about it.

At least mine, once mounted, will be 'bookended' by 2 war medals, so I can't complain.

Towards_the_gap said:
Like DD, I too just found out I'll be receiving one in a week or two, and honestly don't know what I think of it. Is it a crackerjack box medal? To some yes, particularly when you see the distribution among senior leadership. But knowing who nominated me, and why, at least helps me feel a faint twinge of pride about it.

At least mine, once mounted, will be 'bookended' by 2 war medals, so I can't complain.

I bet that there are a bunch of "senior leadership" who are saying exactly the same thing.....

Towards_the_gap said:
.................... and honestly don't know what I think of it. Is it a crackerjack box medal? To some yes, particularly when you see the distribution among senior leadership. But knowing who nominated me, and why, at least helps me feel a faint twinge of pride about it.

It only joins a slew of others that many have expressed the same sentiments.  The 125 medal, The Queen's Golden Jubilee medal, etc.  It isn't the first, nor will it be the last, that will be presented according to what some will call "questionable criteria" or "on the cheap". 

It is unfortunate that the manner in which selection was effected in some cases (vice as directed), as well as the overall issue of restricted distribution amongst the Nation's armed forces personnel, has detracted from the acknowledgement of merit is indeed unfortunate.  I most certainly wish there was a larger allocation, but those at my unit who will be awarded the medal represent well the spirit under which the commemoration is intended.

I have no doubt that in five years time, we will see many of the same frustrations with the Canada 150 medal.

Regards
G2G

Hi Good2Golf, you should say "in five "minutes" time, ain't that a man, we will see the same frustrations." The honourable words of Muddy Waters.

Same old same old in the never ending debate on who deserves what, I can only say that for every "1" acknowledged there goes "100" in the wind.

Why debate just enjoy and remember to lean a little to the right!

On the side lines
:pop:

Strike said:
WTF is he wearing?

Prime Minister Harper? A sort of standard grey business suit ...

The other guy?

I looked at that picture once, only once, to make sure it was what I thought it was ... I refuse to look again, ever.  My eyes ...

tyy6.jpg

Perfect!!! :facepalm: One more reason not to wear it or get it mounted. Why did I bother to get my DEUs dry cleaned and polish my boots when this little Douche shows up dressed like that!! Oh right I'm a professional while he is an ''Artist''

Strike said:
WTF is he wearing?

Someone needs to slap the kid upside his head until the face and hat brim are aligned.

And he wonders why the haters be hatin'

HappyWithYourHacky said:

We just had a few Sar Techs awarded the Jubilee for their actions on some pretty intense missions. It blows my mind to see them on the same page as Justin Bieber. :facepalm:

Back