• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Quebec rejects removing crucifix - BBC

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Quebec rejects removing crucifix

The government of the Canadian province of Quebec has rejected a proposal to remove a crucifix from above the speaker's chair in the parliament.
Quebec Premier Jean Charest said the crucifix was related to 350 years of history that could not be erased. The proposal was made in a report into how
Quebec's French-Canadian - and traditionally Roman Catholic - population can accommodate minorities. The report was commissioned to address a perceived
identity crisis in Quebec.

'Reasonable accommodation'

Quebec has struggled in recent years as the birth rate of its white, French-Canadian population has fallen and immigration - much of it from Asia and the
Middle East - has increased. Philosopher Charles Taylor and sociologist Gerard Bouchard held months of public hearings across the province last year to
hear the views of Quebecers on what they called the "reasonable accommodation" of minorities. Premier Charest launched the commission after a number
of controversies involving immigrants and minority groups.

A YMCA in central Montreal - Quebec's largest city - was criticised for frosting windows so that Jewish students at a seminary across the street would not
be able to see scantily-clad exercisers. Most notably, the small town of Herouxville banned the stoning of women and the wearing of facial coverings despite
having few minorities among its 1,300 residents.

The Bouchard-Taylor report recommends that the government take steps to ensure that immigrants embrace Western values and learn French and that
francophones - about 80% of Quebec's population - help immigrants integrate. But Premier Charest drew the line at removing the crucifix from the provincial
parliament in order to emphasise the government's secular nature.

"We cannot erase our history," said Mr Charest. "The crucifix is about 350 years of history in Quebec that none of are ever going to erase, and of a very strong
presence, in particular of the Catholic Church."

The church was very influential in Quebec society until the 1960s, but its dominance has waned since then.

I didn't thought that news would go this far (it's in the top 5 read at no 2, in the BBC web site)...

Link to the page of the Commission

A YMCA in central Montreal - Quebec's largest city - was criticised for frosting windows so that Jewish students at a seminary across the street would not
be able to see scantily-clad exercisers. Most notably, the small town of Herouxville banned the stoning of women and the wearing of facial coverings despite
having few minorities among its 1,300 residents.

And the problem with this is ???

And hasn't the bold part been illegal anyway ???

::)

NL_engineer said:
And the problem with this is ???

And hasn't the bold part been illegal anyway ???

::)

I'm not quite sure how to read this,

1st, do you mean, "And the problem with this is" That the YMCA frosted their windows over, or they had to.

2nd, and what do you mean by the bold part. And what is/was illegal.

Cheers.

Yrys said:
Hérouxville made a splash in the news with it's declaration.
They were seen as racists, and it made the world news.

Sorry, I connected the statement to the YMCA reference.

And whats new ?, if you think Turbans on the RCMP look ridicules your a Racists today.

Cheers.

FastEddy said:

I'm not quite sure how to read this,

1st, do you mean, "And the problem with this is" That the YMCA frosted their windows over, or they had to.

2nd, and what do you mean by the bold part. And what is/was illegal.

Cheers.

More of a sarcastic comment towards the media.  IMO there was nothing raciest about frosting windows.

The second part, well were to start; well: I think  stoning would fit this, this, or this

I am by no means religious, BUT I think that we as a country have gotten to far away from out christian believes.  Seems to me that the French have it right this time.

NL_engineer said:
More of a sarcastic comment towards the media.  IMO there was nothing raciest about frosting windows.

The second part, well were to start; well: I think  stoning would fit this, this, or this.   

Well my points almost, except that IMO I feel the YMCA having to frost their windows was unreasonable Accommodation.

As to labelling the Town Folk as Racist, is just another fine example of Canadian PC.

Cheers.

Must be the same nut cases that forced this ridiculous cave to the PC lobby in BC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/04/25/bc-murals.html

And what are they doing about all those nude people in that risque artwork in those Eurpopean museums? Shocking....

daftandbarmy said:
Must be the same nut cases that forced this ridiculous cave to the PC lobby in BC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2007/04/25/bc-murals.html

And what are they doing about all those nude people in that risque artwork in those Eurpopean museums? Shocking....

Thanks for that tidbit.

They can worry about that, but don't mind about a Junkie on every corner and promote  free needle supply and shoot up stations. Yeah ! that's really gonna cut down on AIDS

Taking an item like this down would upset more people than it would appease.  You can't whitewash over all those years of history just to try to look accepting of other religions.  Its a cross, if you don't want to look a it, no one is making you.

Good choice on their part.

As a non christian id be offended if they did take the cross down. I'm sorry the cross there is part of the building  after how manyyears.BOO HOO to all . I remove my headdress during the padres word as it show respect  . I'm more offended that we dint get rid of the protesters that proclaim Kill all who insult Islam , etc . well if i hold up my sign that says kill all the islamists i'd be held in jail to rot as I'm offending the sensibilities of Muslims well what about the same stick being applied to the rest of the population.? sorry about the lack of punctuation and spelling ...

I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing "Oh we have to appease them", sorry but if we went to another country we would have to respect that countries customs and culture, not the other way around. Why in the hell must we bend over and kiss their asses when they come over here. Enough is enough already, we've already gave up enough and it's high time we stop giving our country away.

I was born and raised here, Christain to boot, Catholic and "I'LL BE DAMNED" if I'm going to take down my cross just so I won't offend someone just of the boat. Don't like my customs, go back to were you came from and stay there!!

Yes I'm a bit heated and have been for some time, over this whole appeasement attitude that our government is shoving down our throats! This is Canada, Not Saudi Arabia, Iran or Syria and over here we have the cross, live with it!!

"Rant Off"

I think the government of Quebec made the right decision: it's up to immigrants to adopt to their chosen country, not the other way around. Even as an atheist, I say keep the crucifix up. The Catholic Church played an integral part in the history of Quebec.

On a second note, I don't see how the people of Herouxville can be considered "racist" because they offended religious minorities.

Perhaps a red crecent is required, this for the first french/middle eastern free republic of Quebec?  ;).

Tongue in cheek response

Bet it would suck if they separated, and then five years later found themselves under Sharia law.

retiredgrunt45 said:
I'm getting really sick and tired of hearing "Oh we have to appease them", sorry but if we went to another country we would have to respect that countries customs and culture, not the other way around. Why in the hell must we bend over and kiss their asses when they come over here. Enough is enough already, we've already gave up enough and it's high time we stop giving our country away.

I was born and raised here, Christain to boot, Catholic and "I'LL BE DAMNED" if I'm going to take down my cross just so I won't offend someone just of the boat. Don't like my customs, go back to were you came from and stay there!!

Yes I'm a bit heated and have been for some time, over this whole appeasement attitude that our government is shoving down our throats! This is Canada, Not Saudi Arabia, Iran or Syria and over here we have the cross, live with it!!

"Rant Off"

Umm, you seem to forget it was the commission that recommended it, not an immigrant asking for it. Can you elaborate what exactly you've given up enough of and how is it giving away "your" country.

i may be throwing gasoline onto the fore . we have given up our UNIFORM uniforms . the monarchy  has changed the statement of the facts "Defender of the faith " to FAITHS  but they will not be taking down any of the crosses that they have on their 200 + yr old buildings . to be PC we have changed many things to allow the greater good but where do the persons who designed the building get thier say? they designed it and put up a cross how many years ago ? the Christians are not allowed to say behead all those who  denounce christianity . so why is it we must allow others the freedoms we dont enjoy?  its a freedom not a requirement that we jump off a cliff in the name of correctness. the laws that goven this country of OURS allow the cross to be there it doesnt require that it be removed .  SHARIA law is not the law of the land . The CCC and the provincial laws are stated  clearly . If one doenst beleive in the laws the can try to get a vote to have it changed, accept the law or leave the province or country as we haveno laws that say you cannot leave. if your so offended by our laws choose A,B ,or C.As stated earlier I'm  Not a christian  but i accept the fact . I have not thrown my hands in the air and stated as a believer in my faith i can get tattoos on my face hands and grow my hair out to shoulder length in a braid on one side as a mark that ive made my mark as a man . in my religion and family roots only slaves have the hair as short as the military demands of the men not women . Im not a Native canadian but ive given more then 20 years service so farso i think i have the freedom here to state what I believe in . Im not thrilled as im white that i cant do as i should be allowed my religious freedom . my faith is allowed and listed on the ID card lists so why am i not allowed full religious right? Ill tell you why because somewhere a group of persons has said and i accept it.  why cant they accept  that the french goverment will not take down the cross and just be done with it ?  MY 2 cents  is that when the commision says we change it we will .sorry abbout the spelling and puntuation

Back