• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Québec Election: 7 Apr 14

George Wallace said:
Having more than one Oui/independentiste movement would only divide the vote and hurt both parties.  He likely sees a united front with a common goal as the most beneficial at the moment.  Your suggestion would be more of an "after secession" formation of a party system for the new 'nation'.

Well considering that the other parties except the Liberals are all sovereigntist/speratist parties, that might be a valid reason.  Too many players in a limited field.

But it does not explain his alignment with a leftist party.  Peladeau is anything but.  In fact he could be described as anti-left.  The CAQ would have been a more suitable fit for him which is about as right as you'll get in Quebecn and he would likely be a serious contender for the leadership of that party post-election.

But it could be an opportunistic chance at being in power.  A guy like that des not want to join a party he thinks will lose.  He'll want a prominent spot and may even take a shot at being leader one day.  Ms. Marois may have miscaluclated at thinking his "star" power would bring some economic clout to her team but may end up scaring a chunk of her base away. 

Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from ThreeHundredEight.com is the latest polling data:

http://www.threehundredeight.com/p/quebec.html?spref=tw
Main%2BProjection.png

There is considerable additional data on the ThreeHundredEight.com web site.

There are 125 seats in the National Assembly so a bare majority requires 63 seats.

There is an interesting "point of view" article in today's Globe and Mail in which Quebec Liberal Leader Philippe Couillard says that, "Those who think they can separate Quebec from Canada without destroying anything, are in a world of illusion." He suggests that Canada will be 'destroyed' because Quebec is "a vital founding pillar of Canada." Separation, he says, will also "severely, severely hurt Quebec for many, many, many years. Severely hurt Quebec,” for far more than the five years Mme Marois envisions.

I agree with him.

Canada, as we know it, would cease to exist after separation. We can see some anti-French sentiments here, in Army.ca. My guess is that the country, at large, has a bigger, deeper anti-French sentiment. I doubt we would even pretend to care about the linguistic rights of the small minority of Francophones in Canada (what, maybe 3% of the population). They, the remaining Francophones will probably be outnumbered by Hindi speakers, they will be, probably again, about the same as Mandarin speakers: just another small linguistic minority.

A newly independent Quebec will, I expect, look a lot like Argentina: lots of potential but an economic basket case due to bad policies and politics.

But, I reiterate: my guess that the PQ will want the elusive "winning condition" before risking another referendum and I doubt they will be there because, as I have said before, Quebecers have already separated, emotionally, from Canada and they are, by and large, happy to be Canadians who can live and work in French. They understand that M. Couillard  is right and they don't want to be poor. A left wing, statist PQ government? Yes! A sovereign nation-state of Quebec? No!

And here is an article from John Ibbitson that demonstrates what the West really thinks of the threat of seperation. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/in-booming-alberta-quebec-sovereignty-just-isnt-that-important/article17424385/

With reference to 'The Eastern Townships':  they don't exist any more.  The approximate region is now 'L'estrie': within which when English is heard in a commercial setting, it is more likely from an American. To be hired in L'estrie, you must speak French in order to function.  This includes former English institutions e.g. retirement homes, universities, hospitals. Notwithstanding the NDP sweep in the last federal election, the strong trend is to the separatist cause.  Even Jean Charest (last Liberal premier) lost his seat to the PQ.
As a life long QuebecER (until now at least), I don't believe logic has anything to do with the issue.

OK.  Many of you said it wouldn't be so.  Guess what?

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

LINK

The Gazette
montealgazette.com

BY MONIQUE MUISE
THE GAZETTE
March 11th, 2014

No border stops in separate Quebec: Marois

ST-ANGÈLE-DE-LAVAL — Citizens of a sovereign Quebec would have their own passports and national identity, Parti Québécois leader Pauline Marois said Tuesday, but there would be no border patrols, checkpoints or tolls separating them from the rest of Canada.  While Marois had hoped to focus on economic issues in the province's regions during the seventh day of the election campaign, she inadvertently got sucked into a discussion of border logistics when, during a morning news conference, a reporter asked her if separating from Canada would benefit Quebec's tourism industry.

"(Separation) won't change our landscapes, that's for sure," Marois replied. "We could continue to go visit the Rockies in the western part of the country and to visit Prince Edward Island . . . and they could come and visit us here. There would be no borders and no tolls."

The statement raised a few eyebrows among the journalists covering the campaign, and a few hours later during a scheduled stop near Trois-Rivières, Marois was asked to clarify. She confirmed that her party envisions the Canada-Quebec relationship after a separation being similar to that of nations across much of the European Union, which share a currency but do not require border stops when passing from one country to another.

"We could circulate freely," Marois said. "But that doesn't necessarily mean there is no citizenship or that there is no passport."

Earlier in the day, the PQ caravan rolled briefly into the Lac-Mégantic region, using the still-recovering municipality as a backdrop for an announcement linked to tourism. Marois presented the party's candidate in the region, Isabelle Hallé, and made several promises that she said will help attract visitors — and their tourism dollars — to the riding.

Following her address, the focus quickly shifted to the future of Lac-Mégantic itself. Marois confirmed for the first time that a PQ government would not pitch in financially to build a new rail line that would pass around — rather than through — the town. Her party would be happy to help Lac-Mégantic evaluate all the options for such a project, she added, but "we would turn to Ottawa" for the funds to make it happen. The rerouted line of track could cost between $150 and $175 million.

The federal government "is responsible for rail transport," Marois said.

It has now been eight months since a train carrying hundreds of thousands of litres of crude oil derailed and exploded at the centre of the town of 6,000 residents, killing 47. Since the tragedy, Ottawa and the province have split a $150-million bill that covers the emergency response, cleanup and reconstruction efforts. There is still decontamination work to be done, however, and the federal and provincial governments are now in negotiations to determine who will pay for it.

Asked if the Conservative government had fulfilled its responsibilities to date, Marois said: "I don't want to reopen that Pandora's Box. It's already been complicated enough getting to where we are. We fought the battles we could fight. The important thing is that the people of Lac-Mégantic got help."

Marois also continued to field questions on Tuesday about star PQ candidate and media mogul Pierre Karl Péladeau. The 52-year-old still owns controlling shares in media giant Québecor. Both the Coalition Avenir Québec and the Quebec Liberal Party are demanding that Péladeau sell the holdings rather than simply placing them in a blind trust if he is elected on April 7.

Asked how Péladeau's case differed from that of previous ministers and MNAs who were found to be in conflict of interest for owning shares in private companies, Marois replied that a strict code of ethics is now in place governing members of the National Assembly and she and her candidate intend to follow it to the letter.

The code was adopted in 2010, and requires that a member of the National Assembly either sell his or her shares or place them in a blind trust. Ethics Commissioner Jacques Saint-Laurent has acknowledged, however, that Péladeau's case is unique, due to both the size and influence of Québecor. Saint-Laurent has promised to examine all of the potential ethical issues if and when Péladeau is elected.

mmuise@montrealgazette.com

Twitter: monique_muise

© Copyright (c) the Gazette

More on LINK

From the Gazette article, referring to Lac-Megantic: 

"Marois confirmed for the first time that a PQ government would not pitch in financially to build a new rail line that would pass around — rather than through — the town. Her party would be happy to help Lac-Mégantic evaluate all the options for such a project, she added, but "we would turn to Ottawa" for the funds to make it happen. The rerouted line of track could cost between $150 and $175 million. The federal government "is responsible for rail transport," Marois said." 

Um....she seriously thinks that Ottawa is responsible for something that will happen in her "separate nation" of Quebec, and that Canada won't laugh her off the stage when she demands $ for it?  I want some of what she's smoking. 

The only thing that rings true in that article is "'(Separation) won't change our landscapes, that's for sure,' Marois replied. "

...but I'm willing to be corrected by any geologists.

George Wallace said:
OK.  Many of you said it wouldn't be so.  Guess what?

LINK

More on LINK

It isn't inconceivable to think that there would be an open border. The economy, tourism etc all benefit from open borders.  Something many want to see in North America actually.  In Europe people are free to move and work to and from. 

But, what Pauline Marois fails to take into consideration is Canada's willingness to accept anything she thinks  will happen in a post secession Quebec.  Nothing to stop her from having or wanting an open border to Canadians.  Canadians may feel differently.  A while ago I mentioned our US neighours.  That will be the key.  Canada will not want to jeopardize its current border arrangement with the US.  If the US has concerns about how Quebec decides to manage its own international borders and ports of entry, then Canada may be forced to restrict the Quebec/Canada borders in order to avoid a gateway type problem.  On the other hand if they are confident in their system then an open border my not only be preferable it may actually be necessary.

Again, these are things that would be negociated.  Also keep in mind that Ms. Marois is trying to ease concerns.  What we need is more of Couillard's realistic assessments without holding any punches back.   

Dimsum said:
From the Gazette article, referring to Lac-Megantic: 

"Marois confirmed for the first time that a PQ government would not pitch in financially to build a new rail line that would pass around — rather than through — the town. Her party would be happy to help Lac-Mégantic evaluate all the options for such a project, she added, but "we would turn to Ottawa" for the funds to make it happen. The rerouted line of track could cost between $150 and $175 million. The federal government "is responsible for rail transport," Marois said." 

Um....she seriously thinks that Ottawa is responsible for something that will happen in her "separate nation" of Quebec, and that Canada won't laugh her off the stage when she demands $ for it?  I want some of what she's smoking.

Ok, I'm pretty sure she is referring to the here and now, not in the possible future Quebec. 

I'm not overly familiar with the federal responsibilities in regards to rail but they are responsible for regulations, safety and enforcement I believe.  If rerouting the rail system is a safety issue then yes, it is possible the feds would have to cough up the dough.  I'm not sure of all the nuances though and how much responsibilty the province has in this case.

Until seperation happens (and I'm sure it will not), the federal government has its responsibilities, regardless of who is in power in whatever province.

Crantor said:
It isn't inconceivable to think that there would be an open border. The economy, tourism etc all benefit from open borders.  Something many want to see in North America actually.  In Europe people are free to move and work to and from. 

But, what Pauline Marois fails to take into consideration is Canada's willingness to accept anything she thinks  will happen in a post secession Quebec.  Nothing to stop her from having or wanting an open border to Canadians.  Canadians may feel differently.  A while ago I mentioned our US neighours.  That will be the key.  Canada will not want to jeopardize its current border arrangement with the US.  If the US has concerns about how Quebec decides to manage its own international borders and ports of entry, then Canada may be forced to restrict the Quebec/Canada borders in order to avoid a gateway type problem.  On the other hand if they are confident in their system then an open border my not only be preferable it may actually be necessary.

Again, these are things that would be negociated.  Also keep in mind that Ms. Marois is trying to ease concerns.  What we need is more of Couillard's realistic assessments without holding any punches back. 

I agree with you.  The EU has open borders and a 'common currency', at the same time maintaining individual national passports.  Many of these points are acceptable.   

What I am seeing now, is the emerging thoughts slowly being drawn out of Marois as to her vision, and perhaps the whole vision of the PQ, of a separate Quebec.  Does she, and the PQ, believe that we can break Canada into EU style 'nations' and be able to ensure economic, political and social conditions remain on an equal and level playing field?  We can look at the financial and political states of some of the EU nations and see that those models are not necessarily perfect.  How many failed EU states are being propped up by Germany, and the other strong EU nations?  Greece, Spain and Italy are facing extreme fiscal debts.  Does Marios still expect the ROC to prop up Quebec in a similar manner after separation?  I believe so.  Is this then, really separation?

Border crossings already exist between Canada and the US, including Quebec and the US.  Those would still exist.  Like the EU, entry points would still exist between the US and Canada/Quebec.  I don't see that being a major concern.  The Americans may just increase their regulations upon travellers to ensure their National Security, making travel for all Canadians and Quebecers to and from the US more difficult. 

This article from the Torstar News Service is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act. My reaction upon seeing it is 'good luck' with that.

Quebec Liberal leader says Canada must make concessions to stem separatism
http://metronews.ca/news/canada/969257/quebec-liberal-leader-says-canada-must-make-concessions-to-stem-separatism/

By Staff
Torstar News Service

MONTREAL—The leader of federalist forces in the Quebec election says Canadians from coast to coast should be prepared to make concessions to the province if there is any hope dealing once and for all with the recurring threats to national unity.

With an ascendant Parti Québécois seeking re-election and speaking bullishly about a new push for independence, angst outside of the province’s borders is noticeably higher in this election than in previous campaigns since the failed 1995 referendum on sovereignty.

The surprise candidacy for the PQ of multi-millionaire media titan Pierre Karl Péladeau, majority shareholder of Quebecor and the Sun newspaper chain, has only ratcheted up that tension, a rare across-the-board endorsement in an open letter signed by leading sovereigntists, including former PQ leaders Jacques Parizeau and Bernard Landry as well as ex-Bloc Québécois leader Gilles Duceppe.

But Quebec Liberal leader Philippe Couillard suggested an antidote to the cycle of separatist-induced angst that has already resulted in two failed referendums and talk of a third one if PQ leader Pauline Marois wins a majority government in the coming April 7 vote.

Couillard raised the spectre of a new push for a constitutional amendment that would recognized Quebec as a “distinct” society in Canada. This after two failed attempts at Meech Lake in 1987 and Charlottetown in 1992 and the refusal of former PQ premier René Levesque to sign the repatriated Canadian Constitution in 1982.

The federal government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper has refused the idea of re-opening the Constitution to introduce an elected Senate or to set term limits for Senators. The federal Conservative leader has said repeatedly there is no willingness in the country for another heart-wrenching round of talks that, if they fail, could breathe new life into the grievances of those who want an independent Quebec.

Harper contented himself with passing a 2006 motion in the House of Commons that recognized “the Quebecois as a nation within a united Canada,” but it carries no specific obligations or responsibilities of Ottawa and affords no new powers to the province.

Couillard said on Tuesday at a campaign stop in Trois-Rivières, Que., that he has met with Canadians, including politicians in other provinces, who have confided their belief that the failure to accommodate Quebec’s specific demands at the Meech Lake or Charlottetown talks was a “missed opportunity” to blunt the argument for independence.

“But (the failure) is not the reason we should break up a country,” Couillard said.

Instead, the Liberal leader says that if constitutional talks are proposed in the future on an issue such as Senate reform or Ottawa’s relationship with First Nations, he would refuse to take part without agreement to also negotiate “the distinct character of Quebec in Canada.”

“I will not participate if the agenda doesn’t include the traditional demands of Quebec. That will be my historic duty as premier,” Couillard said.

He did not suggest rushing into such negotiations at the moment.

“We’re going to do it to win it.”

The PQ leader has long accused Couillard of having a secret plan to sign Quebec up to the Constitution without allowing Quebecers to debate the move.

“I hope that Mr. Couillard wouldn’t sign, whatever it is, without consulting the population of Quebec,” said Marois.

“So I invite him to tell us what his strategy is to have the distinct status of Quebec recognized, because that seems to be what he wants.”

The PQ leader herself began musing about the contours and detailed workings of an independent Quebec, something she has tried to steer clear of so far on the campaign. But Marois showed she has a clear vision of Quebec ― the country ― operating in European Union-like harmony with its Canadian neighbours.

“Quebecers will be able to go see the people of the Maritimes, or go see the people of British Columbia,” she said.

“It doesn’t mean that we won’t necessarily have citizenship, or that there is no (separate) passport.”

Earlier Tuesday, Couillard made strong defence of Canadian unity, warning that stripping Quebecers of their Canadian citizenship “won’t help Quebecers, it will damage Quebec. It’s a retreat, it’s a loss. It’s not a gain.”

He said it will also diminish the rest of Canada: “We are an essential party ― not the only part, but an essential part ― of what makes Canada such a great place to live in the world.”

Mod edit to add link

Old Sweat said:
This article from the Torstar News Service is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provision of the Copyright Act. My reaction upon seeing it is 'good luck' with that.

Quebec Liberal leader says Canada must make concessions to stem separatism
http://metronews.ca/news/canada/969257/quebec-liberal-leader-says-canada-must-make-concessions-to-stem-separatism/

Why is it always the ROC who have to make concessions to Quebec?  It may be time that Quebec reciprocated with some concessions of their own.  Wouldn't it benefit the Quebec economy more if they honoured the intent of Canada's bilingualism policies as opposed to the ethnic cleansing of all Anglo and Allophones from the province? 

Quebec's Language Policies are already discriminatory and not applied in an honest and fair manner.  Take the "Language Police" harassing the Pontiac woman for her business site on FaceBook, but never an attack or mention of "Language use" at the Montreal Comedy Festival?  Interesting how they can harass the small businesses owned by Anglo and Allophone Quebecers, but not a large International event that brings in millions of foreign visitors and dollars. 

George Wallace said:
Why is it always the ROC who have to make concessions to Quebec?  It may be time that Quebec reciprocated with some concessions of their own ...

It's good politics for a Quebec election campaign ... but Canada, as John Ibbitson pointed out in an article reproduced above, is yawning.

Focussing on the election itself, it would seem that a majority of Quebecers have priorities that AREN'T about a referendum or a separation.  Healthcare, the economy and jobs and in third place is the debt.  Identity politics seem to come somewhere at the end but ahead of things like corruption.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/sujet/elections-quebec-2014/2014/03/10/007-sondage-crop-election-enjeux.shtml

The PQ hasn't really done much to help in any of those other than the identity politics, which isn't much of a priority for most Quebecers.  In fact, it is likely that they are worse off in those things.  Likely why the Liberals are focussing on the whole economy and jobs strategy while discrediting the whole referendum thing.

If they frame it as the PQ wanting to focus on pet projects and not on the real substantial things that really matter to Quebecers, they could steal this one from Marois.  And that would be her political death at that point.   

Edited to add link to Radio Canada polling article to support what I am saying.

I think a referendum is unlikely, for reasons that I, and others, have given, but one issue that a successful referendum (and the subsequent negotiations) would expose would be the currency non-union. A currency union which many sovereigntists, including Mme Marois, believe would be necessary or, at least, desirable is a non starter for the reasons explained by prof Stephen Gordon (and economics professor at l'Université Laval in Quebec City) explain in this article which is reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from MacLean's:

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/could-an-independent-quebec-use-the-canadian-dollar-would-it-want-to-2/
xmacleans_logo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.lHw8LP_oX9.jpg

Could an independent Quebec use the Canadian dollar?
The Euro crisis exposed why a monetary union between the ROC and Quebec wouldn’t work

by Stephen Gordon

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Quebec election and the perceived likelihood of a majority Parti Québécois government has provoked much talk of the prospect of another referendum on independence. So far, the only firm promise that Pauline Marois has made is to produce a white paper on the topic of an independent Quebec. This initiative will almost certainly follow the paths laid out by previous exercises, but there’s one topic where the project needs a fundamental rethink: what currency would an independent Quebec use?

In retrospect, the discussion of monetary policy during the 1995 referendum campaign was alarmingly superficial. Debate revolved almost exclusively around whether or not the Rest of Canada could or would prevent an independent Quebec from carrying out the Yes campaign’s promise to continue to use the Canadian dollar.

These questions are beside the point. Firstly, there is almost nothing that Canada can do to prevent another country from using its currency. Secondly, there’s little reason to try. If anything, the rest of Canada would stand to gain: it could extract a (small) seigniorage tax from Quebec.

The real question is why Quebec would want to use the Canadian dollar in the first place. The government of an independent Quebec could be expected to assume a share of the federal debt roughly equal to its share of the population. When the existing provincial debt is added, it would produce a total of roughly 90% of Quebec’s GDP—all denominated in a currency it did not control. By not adopting its own currency, an independent Quebec would be depriving itself of a lender of last resort. If the federal government were to find itself unable to borrow, the Bank of Canada can and would step in to buy its debt. The Bank of Canada would be under no such obligation to do the same for the government of another country. Not only would Quebec have high debt levels, it would face higher borrowing costs as investors demand higher returns to compensate for the risk of default.

From Quebec’s point of view, the best scenario has traditionally  been a monetary union. In 1995, it was easy enough to point to Europe: the Maastricht Treaty and its commitment to create the euro had demonstrated that it was possible for different countries to agree to a monetary union. But thanks to the euro experiment, we know a lot more about how monetary unions work—and we also know what happens when countries barge ahead with poorly-thought-out monetary unions.

One of the problems with the euro project was that unlike the Bank of Canada and other national central banks, the European Central Bank was not given the authority to act as a lender of last resort. This was a deliberate omission: Germany did not want to use a currency whose value could be inflated away by a bailout of a more profligate country. Instead of setting up a lender of last resort, the Maastricht Treaty’s conditions on government debt and deficits were designed to make one unnecessary.

As we all know, this structure did not survive its first test. Even before the recession, the Maastricht limits were discarded when they became inconvenient to France and Germany. More recently, the hardest-hit countries of Southern Europe lurched from debt crisis to debt crisis until the ECB finally decided to act as a de facto lender of last resort.

With a debt-GDP ratio comparable to that of pre-crisis Italy, an independent Quebec could scarcely afford the luxury of doing without a lender of last resort. But it is extremely unlikely that the rest of Canada would agree to enter a monetary union in which the Bank of Canada played that role for both countries. The relatively large size of the Quebec economy compared to the rest of Canada’s would mean that a Quebec debt crisis could have significant inflationary consequences for the RoC.

More generally, a RoC-Quebec monetary union is unlikely to satisfy the conditions for an optimal currency area. (It’s arguable that the current Canadian monetary union doesn’t satisfy them, either.) For example, one criterion is the existence of system that transfers income from areas that are doing relatively well to other regions. In Canada, this involves more than government-to-government payments: it includes unemployment benefits and salaries paid to federal workers. In 2012, these amounted to a net transfer of $16 billion from the ROC to Quebec – 4.3 per cent of its GDP (pdf - Table 4.2 on page 46). Transfers of this size are still unthinkable in Europe, just as they would be for a RoC-Quebec monetary union.

Of course, just because a monetary union is poorly-designed doesn’t mean that it will collapse. The euro continues to survive, even though the recent recession would have very likely been far less harsh if it had never been adopted in the first place. The members of the eurozone see the common currency as a step towards a deeper political union, and they are evidently willing to accept a high economic cost in order to advance that goal.

There would be no such political support to sustain an eventual RoC-Quebec monetary union. There is a world of difference between viewing a monetary union as a step towards a stronger political union and seeing it as a transition to political disintegration.

Note: the hyperlinks are in the original article.

For the very good reasons Prof Gordon gives Canada would not agree to a currency union with Quebec. An independent Quebec can, of course, use whatever currency it wants ~ but it will be ill served by tying itself to Canada.

A much clearer evaluation and description than my simplistic "Quebec being Canada's Greece of the EU".

Here is an interesting read from the Suburban:

https://www.thesuburban.com/article.php?id=2793&title=An-Open-Letter-To-Queen-Pauline

An Open Letter to Queen Pauline

By Robbie Manis, March 5th, 2014

Pauline:

Congratulations on your recent release of the 2014 budget and your strong showing in the ongoing voter intention polls. It is truly refreshing to see some new ideas and vitality being brought to bear on the Quebecois nation. Having invested sufficient due diligence, I have gained some understanding of the Parti Quebecois platform and recognize that the party is a strong proponent of separation from Canada. As a fifth generation Quebecer, I too look forward to being liberated from the longstanding oppression wrought upon our nation by those meddlesome Canadians. However, while I understand the separatist dogma in concept, I must admit that my knowledge regarding the specifics of the plan are somewhat deficient. As such, I am curious to understand specifically how Quebecois society will operate following the unilateral declaration of independence (“UDI”).

Accordingly, I have set forth below some questions regarding issues that may have a measure of importance to the surviving population of Quebec. So I humbly ask that you shed some light on some or all of the following trifling details.

Given that Quebec’s population represents 23% of the population of Canada, I naively assume that Quebec will assume 23% of the federal debt upon its exit from Canada. When such assumed debt is added to Quebec’s existing  debt load (which I understand to be substantial), can you please tell me what the combined debt per capita will be and how this figure compares to those of Greece, Sudan and Sierra Leone?

Like any child leaving the nurturing environment of the family nest, the obvious question is how will they survive on their own without the regular financial transfusions provided by their parents. Along these lines, how will liberated Quebec fill the financial void when the transfer payments formerly provided by Alberta, British Columbia and Ontario are truncated immediately upon the UDI?

Following the UDI, I imagine that those elements intended to feel marginalized by the separation will, unsurprisingly, feel marginalized. A reasonable portion will presumably take the logical step and return to Canada proper. We all recognize that these emigrants will be the wealthier, better educated and upwardly mobile members of Quebec society. And, to be clear, to such value creators I say good riddance and take your economic clout with you. But in quiet moments I do wonder how liberated Quebec will replace the substantial tax base moving west? Will you simply create a new 90% tax bracket for the very, very few remaining high income earners and do you think such a tax rate will be viewed as excessive?

Without providing an exact number, it is a fact that there are a large number of federal government employees employed within Quebec. Once Quebec sheds the noose of confederation, I have to assume that the positions occupied by such federal government employees will become superfluous. So I ask, what is Quebec’s plan to provide financial assistance to the boatload of additional unemployed? Has this additional cost to society been accounted for and provided for in your economic projections?

The PQ’s existing tax policy is to create a punishing tax regime for the entrepreneurs, doctors, dentists, lawyers, engineers, architects and other undesirables who take advantage of society and in so doing earn disproportionate annual incomes. Have you considered how Quebecois society will cope if many such professionals bolt for greener pastures? Do we care if our existing doctor shortage becomes far more pronounced or are we better off evicting the bourgeoisie?

I was born in Canada and have only ever lived in Canada. Having said that, is my Canadian citizenship misappropriated following UDI? 

Following UDI, I have to imagine that Quebec will have to adopt its own currency. I cannot imagine that it would be able to unilaterally decide to use the currency of a foreign country (such as Canada) as its own. In any event, how can Quebec use Canadian currency as its base when it has no ability to influence the fiscal policies underlying such currency? I do not doubt that you have a well thought out plan dealing with basic fiscal policy. For my own education, can you kindly share some elements of this plan in layman’s terms?

What exactly happens to my Canadian passport following UDI? Can I no longer travel outside the Quebec boundaries given that I am now a resident of a country with no passport regime?

What do the many companies operating in Quebec do with the processing of weekly payroll? To whom are taxes paid? Do we simply pay the Quebec portion and reap a massive windfall by no longer remitting any deductions at source whatsoever to Canada? That would be a surprising but welcome result as we can really use the additional disposable income.

A sophisticated investor such as yourself surely understands that the financial markets have little tolerance or appetite for uncertainty. As such, Quebec bonds and debts will immediately see a significant risk premium included in the borrowing rates following UDI. The rising cost of borrowing will make interest on accumulated debts an even greater burden to be borne within the annual Quebec budget. What steps are planned to deal with this sizable increase in budgetary requirements? Surely this question has come up in previous caucus meetings.

Are the bank and brokerage accounts held by Quebecers in Canada simply lost as some form of collateral damage following UDI ? How do the TD Banks and Royal Banks of the world repatriate these now non-resident accounts?

With enhanced anti-immigrant policies, continued diminishing birth rates and the encouraged emigration of upwardly mobile anglophones and francophones, what is the revised actuarial estimate of the bankruptcy date for the Quebec pension plan? Will you simply increase the allowable retirement age to 93 and hope that everyone dies before receiving any annuity from the government plan?

Obviously many of the current programs that survive on the basis of large-scale redistribution of wealth will have to be curtailed. How will Quebec wind-down the existing $7-$8 per day daycare, the exaggerated parental leave initiatives and other corporate welfare programs?

With the termination of all federal contributions to infrastructure, how will liberated Quebec fund the emergency restoration of its crumbling roads, bridges and networks? Will you simply add another 50 cents per litre of gas tax? Surely such a tax increase can be sold to the public when cloaked within purported environmental concerns.

What is the cost of establishing border protection systems and regimes for liberated Quebec? Moreover, what about the cost of a Quebec military presence? I understand that defense can represent a meaningful chunk of the annual budget of a sovereign state. How many Quebecois pesos have been budgeted for these initiative?

Needless to say, I have other questions but the foregoing represents a reasonable initial list of concerns that we should at least gloss over in anticipation of the third referendum within the best of 7 series. I am sorry to burden you with these minor issues when instead you would clearly prefer to focus on the parade that will follow UDI. But at some level there are likely a few Quebecers other than myself that have wondered how the liberation of Quebec might affect the daily workings of our fragile society.

I would appreciate some answers to these questions and I imagine that after 35 years of separatist threats and promises, you have likely given each question at least a few minutes of concentrated thought.

I thank you for your attention to this matter and am confident that we can work together to better understand the future of our Quebecois nation.

>We can see some anti-French sentiments here, in Army.ca.

I don't think there is much anti-French sentiment.  There is plenty of anti-whinger sentiment.  Couillard's can go f*<k himself if he thinks there is any reason at all his province merits special privileges.

One person, one class of citizenship in the nation.

One province, one class of membership in the nation.

There is, apparently, according to the Globe and Mail's Capital Markets reporter and Streetwise columnist Boyd Erman, a case for monetary union, at least from Ontario's perspective. But that case is that Ontario is flailing about (and failing?), due, in some part, to changing global markets and, in more cases, to inept Ontario Government policies, and it 'needs' Quebec, which flails about even more and fails (without the need for a question mark), to counter the increased productivity of the evil West.

ARTICLE LINK

Mr Erman's argument is, in my opinion, complete rubbish on both economic and political grounds.

Ontario doesn't 'need' Quebec to help it balance the West; it (and Quebec) needs new, better economic policies. The solutions to most of Ontario's problems lie in Queens Park, not with the Bank of Canada or with the federal cabinet.

Quebec is a badly mismanaged entity. The so called "Quebec model," an imitation of the failed "French model," has failed. It is a statist, soft-socialist model that cannot work because they, statism and socialism, require consistently competent political leaders, which cannot exist in a democracy, and perfect humans (especially smart and industrious people who are, consistently, willing to work at full capacity for nothing more than the pleasure one derives from giving away the fruits of one's labours to feed, house and entertain the stupid and lazy) and they don't exist, either. It would be policy madness to allow mismanaged Quebec, with an economy equal to about 20% of Canada's, into a currency union ~ it is the equivalent of France, Italy or Spain in the Eurozone: none of those three are qialified, by the rules, to be there but because they all lie about their economies, as a matter of national policy, they are able to live off the fruits of the labours of the Dutch, Finns and Germans, while adding no value to the mix.

Any prime minister of the new Canada minus who proposed allowing the newly independent Quebec a seat on the BoC's board would be tarred and feathered and run out of the capital on a rail.

It's all nonsense. 

Back