• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Québec Election: 7 Apr 14

E.R. Campbell said:
And the above is supported by this analysis, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from Angus Reid Global, supports the above polls:

http://www.angusreidglobal.com/polls/48942/quebec-liberals-lead-on-eve-of-final-campaign-weekend-movement-of-caq-vote-hurts-pq/

Going back a month, to the post that opened this thread, it appeared then, to me, that a PQ majority was possible.

It now looks, to me again, anyway, as if Mme Marois has totally bungled a campaign that was her's to win ~ based on the popularity of the Quebec Charter of Values amongst older voters in key, largely French speaking ridings ~ and a PLQ majority is not more likely.

You might be right, but my gut feel is that this thing is slowly but surely dying a natural death. And thank God for that. I am not one of those who says "F8ck 'em: let 'em go".

I think (very unscientifically) that I have seen three indicators in the last few years that suggest that Quebecers' view of Canada is changing:

-lots more Quebec license plates on the 401. Maybe it's the Anglos fleeing, or Quebecers deciding to cross border shop in Detroit, but I doubt it. I think they are feeling way more comfortable about simply visiting the rest of Canada. I hope so;

-here in Kingston, LOTS of Quebecois tourists. Lots.  Again, maybe there are reasons I don't understand, but I see it as positive; and

-the many young Franco officers that I have come into contact with in the last few years seem to lack that sullen, "chip-on-the shoulder" attitude that was, IMHO, prevalent years ago.

I think (and I hope...) that time, an increasingly better standard of education and of living, and the introduction of immigrants who are from le Francophonie but don't spend their lives fretting about The Conquest, are gradually changing things. There will always be pockets of Independentistes, but I think with less and less power.

Patience, thoughtfulness and a reasonable level of respect for Quebecer's concerns will, I believe, see us through to a better day.

Mme Marois.

The Tim Hudak of Quebec.

Motto:

Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

recceguy said:
Mme Marois.

The Tim Hudak of Quebec.

Motto:

Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Hmm....seems to be in the water....BC NDP,  Wild Rose in Alberta, PC's in Manitoba, PC's in Ontario....

GAP said:
Hmm....seems to be in the water....BC NDP,  Wild Rose in Alberta, PC's in Manitoba, PC's in Ontario....

Those are not the parties of the Laurentian consensus....

Well, today's the day, and here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act from the Globe and Mail, is and analysis of what the political future might hold for la belle province:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/globe-politics-insider/election-results-pivotal-for-divided-quebec/article17849135/#dashboard/follows/
gam-masthead.png

Election results pivotal for divided Quebec

SUBSCRIBERS ONLY

Campbell Clark
The Globe and Mail

Published Monday, Apr. 07 2014

An election campaign that voters didn’t want has chastised the Parti Québecois, and it now has Philippe Couillard anticipating victory. But as results come in Monday night, the details will shape Quebec’s politics for years to come.

The big question at the outset – whether Pauline Marois’s PQ would win a majority and the opportunity to hold a sovereignty referendum – appears, from the polls, likely to be answered with a firm No. But several other key questions are still to be settled.

Mr. Couillard’s Liberals, quivering at the prospect of a once-unexpected win, will still shiver at the thought it will be a minority government – an unstable one, with fickle support, constantly fearing its defeat could be triggered by an ongoing corruption inquiry. For the PQ, a drubbing will shake the core of a party forced to rethink how it can sell sovereignty to a referendum-averse electorate. And the third-party CAQ could emerge as a potential force for reshaping Quebec politics, or be shown up as a fad.

All that’s still up in the air. Though a Léger Marketing poll released Saturday found the Liberals are ahead, they trail the PQ among francophones who decide most ridings. And François Legault’s CAQ is enjoying a late surge, making it all more unpredictable.

A month ago, the thought of Mr. Couillard ending the campaign appealing for a majority government would have sparked chuckles – but it’s not a laughing matter for Liberals now. If they fall short, their government could be unstable and shortlived.

A big chunk of Liberal support is tactical; almost a quarter, according to Ipsos-Reid pollster Luc Durand, will vote Liberal just to stop the PQ.

Many Quebeckers are still tired of the Liberals, and many still associate the party with rubbery ethics. Some Liberals worry the Charbonneau Commission into corruption might unearth past Liberal transgressions – and if Mr. Couillard only has a minority, that could trigger defeat, sending weakened Liberals into a new election, possibly against a new PQ leader.

For the PQ, too, the score matters. Ms. Marois isn’t likely to survive as leader unless voters unexpectedly return her to power. But the results will determine if the party faces a leadership race, or an existential debate.

This campaign turned on voters recoiling at the idea of a referendum, sparked by PQ star candidate Pierre Karl Péladeau, the former Quebecor CEO whose fist-pumping call for a country started voters thinking that a referendum campaign could be expected soon. If the results are close Monday night, then PQ leadership contenders like Bernard Drainville and Jean-François Lisée, and possibly Mr. Péladeau, will be encouraged to treat defeat as the result of tactical campaign mistakes. After all, running for the PQ leadership usually requires persuading party activists you will advance the sovereignty cause.

But a crushing loss would force a deeper debate: What does a sovereigntist party do when voters are repulsed by a referendum? Will some propose a temporary truce, definitively ruling out a referendum for four or eight years? PQ hardliners would reject it, but some might fear that if they don’t choose that option, voters will – and move to other parties, like the CAQ. That’s one reason the CAQ’s showing is important. It challenges the rigid federalist-sovereigntist dynamic. It’s too conservative for many Quebeckers, but Mr. Legault is the leader who gave them the kind of debate they wanted, focused on the economy and jobs, and avoiding the sovereignty and referendum talk they don’t want right now. Monday’s election will decide if the CAQ remains relevant. It once seemed destined to shrink to a rump. The defeat of Mr. Legault in a tight race in his riding could leave it leaderless. But a recent surge opens the possibility of a strong showing that would anchor its claim to be a force for reshaping Quebec politics. After 33 days, it has proved to be the kind of campaign Quebeckers didn’t want. They told pollsters their priorities were the economy, jobs and health care, but they heard about sovereignty, referendums, religious symbols and mudslinging. Many will vote to reject what they don’t like. In the process, they just might reshape the province’s politics for years.

I don't think the sovereignty notion is dead but I do think that many Quebecers have decided that the better route to sovereignty is through Canada, by making Canada into something more akin to the EU, something that Prime Minister Harper, at least the Stephen Harper who wrote the "Alberta firewall" letter and who declared Quebec to be a nation, might like ~ through, in other words, a steady devolution of federal powers to the provinces (or to regional groups).

I wonder if the thoughts in this opinion piece by former Conservative minister Monte Solberg explains, in some part, why the CAQ is doing so well. As Solberg notes, Alberta (population 4 million) is about to replace Quebec (population almost 8 million) as Canada's second largest economy.

That status says a lot about what's wrong in Quebec: low productivity.

Get out and vote today!

Ref: CANELECTGEN 001/14: "CF MEMBERS AND DEPARTMENT OF NATIONAL DEFENCE EMPLOYEES ELIGIBLE TO VOTE IN QUEBEC SHALL BE GIVEN SUFFICIENT TIME TO VOTE. THE QUEBEC ELECTION ACT PROVIDES THAT ELIGIBLE ELECTORS ARE ENTITLED TO FOUR CONSECUTIVE HOURS FOR THE PURPOSE OF VOTING."

E.R. Campbell said:
I wonder if the thoughts in this opinion piece by former Conservative minister Monte Solberg explains, in some part, why the CAQ is doing so well. As Solberg notes, Alberta (population 4 million) is about to replace Quebec (population almost 8 million) as Canada's second largest economy.

It definitly is a reason why the economy is in decline.  The CAQ knows this and wants to set things right.  The CAQ is doing well because it is able to woo those fiscally responsible Péquistes and nationalists that know that the key to true sovereignty is a robust and thriving economy.  Legault left the PQ for that reason.

They are also able to woo disenfranchised liberal voters who want to vote for an alternative ceacuse the CAQ at least in the short term aren't talking about seperation.

I think the CAQ will eat a lot of the PQ support as voters scarmble to vote for anyone but PQ but without having to compromise themselves by voting for a federalist party.  Given the choice between the CAQ's fiscally responsible platform and Action Solidaire's left leanings who are talking about seperation, the CAQ likely looks better and what they feel they need.

All this looks good for the PLQ, as the nationalist vote (both left and right get split). 

As a side note:  Even though the polls are in the Liberal's favour, anything can happen tonight.  The best line on today's talk radio was "Poll splitting does not necessarily mean vote splitting". 

E.R. Campbell said:

It is a huge drive that Alberta is the main center for commerce now, even Ontario has had a decline in the economy, but Quebec is not making money for problems with the Provincial Government.

Low productivity due to people leaving the province in herds, businesses and companies (international corporations as well) are saying see you later Quebec, they are paying to move their top brass, but not the worker bees.

Plain and Simple- nobody wants to try to make money in Quebec anymore, the government with its previous corruption, and PQ with its made up problems (Charter of values?? come on, thats why we are Canadian, we fight as Canadians for Canadians rights and beliefs, not so we can tell people what they can and cant wear)

FYI in 19 Months, this Province has wasted $160 Million dollars in Elections, that $160 million could of gone to social programs or stimulating the economy.

Low productivity is also a result of counterproductive government regulations which tangle business in red tape and slow or even stop investment. This is applicable at all levels (for the small businessman trying to start something as simple as a food truck, dealing with City Hall could kill the business even before it starts. In London ON City Council refused to license food trucks until committee "reviewed the menus" to ensure they were nutritious and "diverse" with the report to come back in Sept, costing the truck operators the entire summer. Toronto truck operators faced a similar battle). Tim Hudak had an interesting story at a PCPO gathering about a person wanting to open a boutique winery employing 4 people: they needed to fill out forms for 8 separate departments and ministries (who would have blamed the owner for packing it in due to frustration?).

Considering that the average small business owner is estimated to do 30hr/month on paperwork in Ontario, the owner is putting in almost a full week "working" for the government rather than growing thier business, and since they are working 3/4 of the month on their business and the other 1/4 for the government(s) it is no wonder they are being clobbered by the Chinese and other competitors.

One can only imagine what small business in Quebec has to put up with.

Language laws, and now this charter thing do not help any business.  Also the threat of economic instability does not help either.

The PQ complains of McGill students just doing a drive by for studies.  Fine but what does the province do to keep them?  Nothing. 

Did you know that one has to speak french to be admitted to the Ordre des Ingeniueurs du Quebec?  Doesn't matter that you might be the best PEng in Ontario, if you don't speak the language you can't work there.  Or how about the fact that the province refuses to acknowledge various provincial and international accreditations that are in fact superior to Quebec's?

So you can't attract talent, you marginalise people that might actually contribute something and block your ears as if nothing is wrong. 

The PQ's big issue is cultural identity when in fact every Quebecer is on the hook for 24 000$ per person in debt and no real plan for servicing the debt that grows every year because of the massive interest on it.

But hey, let's spend millions to enforce detrimental language laws and the 28 foreign offices to promote Quebec's interests abroad.

Or how about the student tuition that is heavily subsidized and hasn't seen an increase in 30 years.  Protugual had free tuition and look where it has gotten them.

Many Quebecers want it all but don't want to pay for it.  That's the real issue.

From 308:

http://www.threehundredeight.com/2014/04/final-quebec-projection-liberal-victory.html

I think anything other than a PQ majority would spell the end of days for Ms Marois. While she may not face immediate repercussions, there will be slow and painful erosion of her influence and ability to lead the party.

I also have to think that given 308's track record that if the results fall anywhere into the high-low band then the PQ is done; which probably means the same thing for Ms Marois.

The Toronto Star (among others) has a interactive map showing the Quebec riding's and results as the polling stations start posting numbers.

As the polls start reporting the Liberals are leading in 39 riding's and the PQ in just 17. Still early in the game however.

Following radio canada.  13 liberal elected leading in 40. PQ have 3 and leading in 17.  Early but fast.

And radio canada is calling it.  Liberal government.  Still not sure if it will be a majority.

That's some serious spankerin' going on right now.

Just one poll in but even Marois is behind in her riding........I'm sure she'll win it but still one can dream.

Back