• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

In that case, everything makes perfect sense.

Regimental affiliation has no bearing on career progression in this instance.  The PRL is responsible for care and maintenance of its own.  While the affiliated regiment may provide feedback and recommended COAs to its badge wearing members, unless the member is somehow making an appearance, the mothership will have no substantiation should it attempt to advocate for the member.  He's not saying the PRL isn't taking care of its members, he's saying the Regiment has no means to get involved to assist them.

Shamrock said:
In that case, everything makes perfect sense.

Regimental affiliation has no bearing on career progression in this instance.  The PRL is responsible for care and maintenance of its own.  While the affiliated regiment may provide feedback and recommended COAs to its badge wearing members, unless the member is somehow making an appearance, the mothership will have no substantiation should it attempt to advocate for the member.  He's not saying the PRL isn't taking care of its members, he's saying the Regiment has no means to get involved to assist them.

Members who belong to a PRL have no regimental affiliation: the PRL is their unit. They wear standard environmental DEUs.

I'll go further on this, and I'm gonna put on my blunt-arsehole-infantry-NCO-hat and use the example of reserve NCMs in the combat arms.

A member is transferred to the PRL, yes, if they "cannot be conveniently administered through another reserve unit". Typically this is done when a reserve member gets a 2 or 3 year class B and ceases actively parading with that reserve unit. the PRL exists as an administrative organization to administer the need for reservists to work contractually for periods of a few years; it is not an operational organization that has a mandate to force generate, force employ, or to actively career progress.

So let's take two hypothetical MCpls:

MCpl Bloggins gets a 3 year contract working at a Cl B position in a major city. He continues to shwo up on Wednesday nights and parade with his unit as a section 2ic. He attends as many of the weekend exercises as he is able to.

MCpl Smith likewise gets a 3 year Cl B position in the same city. He elects to no longer remain active with his reserve unit. In order to free up that MCpl line serial that he is occupying but not doing the job of, he is transferred to a PRL.

So we have one which does contribute to a unit, continues to do his comabt arms job in a field environment, and continues to career progress within the unit. The other has taken a different route wherein the reserves are used as a mechanism to compete for long term contracts. He will not be employed in the environment of that trade.

Reserve units get barely enough positions on career courses for the advancement of their own people. I work ops in a unit with 126 infantry Pte and Cpl. Every single one who we wish to advance to MCpl must get DP2 Weapons Det Member and PLQ the whole way through. Every platoon weapons det needs guys to be qualified for the job, and we need depth, too. There is attrition at every stage.  And this year I will be lucky if my regiment gets six or eight positions on the weapons det member course, which is run within the reserve brigades or at the area training centres.

So: If a reservist has elected to take full time employment for several years AND has chosen, while doing so, not to contribute to a unit, why should those very limited positions on career advancement trade courses be offer to them? An infantryman who elects not to work as an infantryman, in my mind, has no business expecting the infantry to give him positions to progress in his career as an infantryman, so he can then go and get another non-infantry Cl B at a higher rank level. We have ample full time Cl B guys who DO show up to train as well and who DO get those spots on career courses. MCpl Smith and MCpl Bloggins both hope to be Sgts some day. Which one, in their trade, MERITS the Small Arms Instructor's Course necessary to do so? We have guys working 3 year Cl Bs as Sgts now who did the same as MCpl and as Cpls, and did nothing more than keep coming out to play, and go on a career course every 3 or 4 years.

The reservist who doesn't contribute to a unit and who snipes that career course spot is boning the guy who does. Moreover, that reservist who has been employed for some years as an NCM and has not worked in the section, detachment, or patrol is unsuitable to be advanced to the next rank in that same trade when they have not retained, refreshed, or further developed their combat arms trade skills. You could take an RMS clerk who hasn't worked in an infantry section in four years since they changed trades and put him through a PLQ Mod 6 Infantry. Doesn't mean he's got any business claiming to be an Infantry MCpl afterwards. How does that differ fromt he reservist who goes PRL and ceases to do anything in trade?

If a combat arms reservist wishes to work full time, not participate in a field force unit, and to career advance, the answer is to component transfer to the regular force in a suitable trade. There he will have the opportunity to work full time and to advance with only the very reasonable expectation that he be subjected to full time career management.

Alternatively, show up for the three hours a week and one weekend a month that is all that is expected of a reservist in order to be merited for that career advancement. I am not aware of any reserve combat arms units that don't have some vacant line serials for NCMs to transfer into. Contact a unit recruit, express interest in transfering from PRL back onto a unit establishment, and demonstrate that a spot on those courses is merited not arranged through a back door deal where a reserve brigade is obliged to surrender a spot on a course they're running for their troops.

ARMY_101 said:
Members who belong to a PRL have no regimental affiliation: the PRL is their unit. They wear standard environmental DEUs.

They retain their Regt'l / Branch affiliations as there is no hatbadge for PRL.  If a person is a Cameron, they will still wear their Cameron accoutrements and maintain that Regimental affiliation.  They only belong to the PRL for administrative reasons.  This process allows, in this case, the Cameron's to free up a line serial/Position Number for another member.

George Wallace said:
They retain their Regt'l / Branch affiliations as there is no hatbadge for PRL.  If a person is a Cameron, they will still wear their Cameron accoutrements and maintain that Regimental affiliation.  They only belong to the PRL for administrative reasons.  This process allows, in this case, the Cameron's to free up a line serial/Position Number for another member.

This one's a bit of a winger- but reserve units being what they are and having a bunch of regimental kit that belongs to the unit (highland regiments being particularly bad for this), I'm sure I've seen members of units have to turn in their distinctive unit headdress, DEU accoutrements, etc so that they can be issued out to others.

Brihard said:
This one's a bit of a winger- but reserve units being what they are and having a bunch of regimental kit that belongs to the unit (highland regiments being particularly bad for this), I'm sure I've seen members of units have to turn in their distinctive unit headdress, DEU accoutrements, etc so that they can be issued out to others.

Depends on the rank and SOU of the individual.  A person may return after a short Class B SOU to their affiliated Regiment/unit.  I am sure, if you walked into NDHQ, you will see many Highland units represented by pers on PRL, who have their complete entitlement of Regimental accoutrements. 

If, as is the case of those who are not going PRL, but doing a transfer to another Trade, then you will see them turning in their Regimental Kilts, etc. and in a position where they have no complete set of DEUs.

George Wallace said:
Depends on the rank and SOU of the individual.  A person may return after a short Class B SOU to their affiliated Regiment/unit.  I am sure, if you walked into NDHQ, you will see many Highland units represented by pers on PRL, who have their complete entitlement of Regimental accoutrements. 

If, as is the case of those who are not going PRL, but doing a transfer to another Trade, then you will see them turning in their Regimental Kilts, etc. and in a position where they have no complete set of DEUs.

Oh, certainly. I'm talking about the same hypothetical as I had earlier- a PRes member who transfers out of the Ft Mooseknuckle Highland Fusiliers and has to turn in their Tam'O'Shanter, kilt, and the brass bits for their uniform and puts up a beret with infantry cap badge and generic 'canada' stuff on the tunic. But you're absolutely right that most who go PRL seem to hang on to their regimental kit.

I'm guessing that's only a problem with you militia guys who don't wear normal uniforms, but insist on mixing CF with catholic schoolgirl....and a stripper's feather boa in your hat

:stirpot:

George Wallace said:

It didn't work that way for our PRL: members from at least two reserve units were told to return all regimental kit and completely out-clear. Now they/I wear a beret, infantry cap badge, and standard army DEU (no kilt, unfortunately).

Journeyman said:
I'm guessing that's only a problem with you militia guys who don't wear normal uniforms, but insist on mixing CF with catholic schoolgirl....and a stripper's feather boa in your hat

:stirpot:

Pants are tyranny.

I've read through the first few pages, and last few - but not all 13. 

I did Mods 2-5 about 7 years ago, I'm finishing Mod 1 this week, and plan to get loaded on to Mod 6 (the new 3&4) later this year.  How long is the Delta pgk that I need?  I think I read a couple days or over 2 months?  Can I do this from the regular net, or do I have to be on base with DIN access?  What's covered in the Delta pkg?

Any info about Aldershot would also be helpful - I'm hoping to be sent there.  Anyone got course dates for the new 3 & 4 in Aldershot? 

Thanks!  I just want this over with....

SupplyOntario said:
I've read through the first few pages, and last few - but not all 13. 

I did Mods 2-5 about 7 years ago, I'm finishing Mod 1 this week, and plan to get loaded on to Mod 6 (the new 3&4) later this year.  How long is the Delta pgk that I need?  I think I read a couple days or over 2 months?  Can I do this from the regular net, or do I have to be on base with DIN access?  What's covered in the Delta pkg?

Any info about Aldershot would also be helpful - I'm hoping to be sent there.  Anyone got course dates for the new 3 & 4 in Aldershot? 

Thanks!  I just want this over with....

Delta is a two-day distance learning course: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18969/post-1153037.html#msg1153037.  I'm not sure what it covers but considering the context it sounds mostly like a review/refresher of the materials learned in Mods 1-5 before going on Mod 6 (mods 3 and 4).

Do the current PLQ DL packages require a full-time commitment, or is it realistic to expect they can be done on evenings and weekends (in the case of a PRes member with a full-time civilian job)? Also, does the DL require DWAN access? Is it hosted on DNDLearn?

Rheostatic said:
Do the current PLQ DL packages require a full-time commitment, or is it realistic to expect they can be done on evenings and weekends (in the case of a PRes member with a full-time civilian job)? Also, does the DL require DWAN access? Is it hosted on DNDLearn?

When I did mine a couple years back, it was hosted on DNDLearn, so I just did it all from home. Basically the only requirements were that I had to login at some point during the day, make sure that I commented on the days topic on the forum, and have my homework in at the alloted time. As far as the course load, I think it's possible to do it evenings and weekends, but it'd be a lot.

I'm not sure what the actual rules are for PRes though.

Rheostatic said:

Rheo, I can speak to this. I work ops and training and currently have 11 of my troops on the DL.

The DL portion has two formats. The most common one to see is one scheduled over 15-16 calendar days. These ones are intended to be done straight through; you get paid about 11 days or so, and you are spending two work weeks solid doing them.

The other format is referred to as 'weekend'. It's intended primarily for primary reservists who have other commitments to balance. This is normally scheduled for about 33 calendar days- you have five weekends to do the material on your own time, and there are weekly benchmarks set to stay on track.

The 13/14 calendar is out in draft form. While not eyt confirmed, the PLQ DLs are tenatively se4t. The next 'weekend' formats will be in September, and then another one in November.

The full time ones are full days. If you're a real masochist it might be possible to plow through them, but I'd seek a week or two free and clear to do it in. I wouldn't chance it otherwise. I've got a guy right now who even on the weekend portion is going to tueb it because he was a week late getting it set up, and couldn't catch up between work and school. There's a lot of readings to do.

The actual courseware is all online, and can be accessed from a computer at home via a DND Learn format that's friendly to that. You don't need a DWAN account to log into it.

Hope this helps.

It certainly does help, thanks to both of you. Can you send a link to the draft 13/14 Calendar? My link for the national calendar is limited to this FY.

Rheostatic said:
It certainly does help, thanks to both of you. Can you send a link to the draft 13/14 Calendar? My link for the national calendar is limited to this FY.

I'll PM it momentarily.

Am I reading this correctly or does the new curriculum for Army PLQ negate Mod 6 from the previous PLQ incarnation?

Sheep Dog AT said:
Am I reading this correctly or does the new curriculum for Army PLQ negate Mod 6 from the previous PLQ incarnation?

AFAIK,

PLQ Mods 1-5 are now Mods 1 and 2 on the new Army PLQ.  Mod 6 is now Mods 3 and 4.

Thanks.  It seems like its condensed vs. the older system which to be fair I wasn't a part of.

Back