• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

PuckChaser said:
Go to Documentum on the Gagetown DWAN site, will have lesson plans for PLQ in there.

Anybody have info on when LFAA's running a non-INF mod 3/4 after 30 Nov 12?

Alternatively, I don't suppose there's a precedent for someone finishing mod 2 APLQ and going on mod 6 PLQ-L, which is all that WATC's offering. Got mods 1-4 PLQ-L.

I'm collecting a fun mix of PLQ-L and APLQ, and I'm looking forward to being done one scheme somewhere.

Brasidas said:
Anybody have info on when LFAA's running a non-INF mod 3/4 after 30 Nov 12?

Alternatively, I don't suppose there's a precedent for someone finishing mod 2 APLQ and going on mod 6 PLQ-L, which is all that WATC's offering. Got mods 1-4 PLQ-L.

I'm collecting a fun mix of PLQ-L and APLQ, and I'm looking forward to being done one scheme somewhere.

I have a list of every PLQ running everywhere until roughly April. I'll check tomorrow. Note that you are by no means restricted to PLQs in your area. I'm in Ontario and sent two Cpls to the PLQ Infantry running in Aldershot. 'Off peak' PLQs (read, not in the summer) aren't too hard to get people on, or at least that's been my experience working ops in a reserve unit and seeing what my nominations have gotten back in loadings.

I'm almost certain you can do APLQ Mods 1-2 and then roll on to a 'legacy' Mod 6 Pt 1 and Mod 6 Land. I'll have to check the APLQ TP change request up on documentum, but I'm as sure as I can be without having it in front of me to read off of.

In fact, go one better- shoot me a PM with your DWAN email address and I'll send you the PLQ spreadsheet as well as a link to the national calendar where you can find all this stuff.

Just Got loaded for PLQ starting in January. Just so everyone is updated, PLQ is 4 mods now. A distance learning part. MOD 1,, a Residency part MOD 2 and a 6 week Practicum part, MOD  3 - 4. (equivalent to the old Mod 6)

FGHsabre said:
Just Got loaded for PLQ starting in January. Just so everyone is updated, PLQ is 4 mods now. A distance learning part. MOD 1,, a Residency part MOD 2 and a 6 week Practicum part, MOD  3 - 4. (equivalent to the old Mod 6)

If you looked at the prev page you would have seen that you are a few months late on posting the info

ARMY_101 said:
Further investigation:

The "new" PLQ ("A-PLQ") was approved on 15 May 12.  Structure is as follows:

PLQ-A remains 50 days in duration.
PLQ-A is now broken into four modules instead of six:

Mod 1 - distance learning, 11 days
- PO's covering leading subordinates, maintaining order and discipline, developing subordinates, enforcing physical fitness requirements, etc.
- Can be delivered full-time or part-time and is run through LFAA (English) or LFQA (Quebec)

Mod 2 - residency, 9 days
- PO's covering the practical portion of enforcing physical fitness, instructing personnel, and enforcing field and range safety
- Can be delivered part-time or full-time through units, brigades, and ATC's
- Mod 2 must be completed within 12 months of beginning Mod 1

Mods 3 and 4 - consecutive residency, 30 days ("the field portion")
- PO's covering leading subordinates, planning operations, operating in tactical environments, and conducting section-level stability ops
- PO's covering leading subordinates; and conducting enabling, offensive, and defensive ops at the section level
- "Specific serials will be identified for PRes personnel who are required, by exception, to attend Mods 3 and 4 in consecutive years."
- Mods 3 and 4 must be completed within 18 months of completing Mod 2

TIMELINES
1 Sep 12 - LFA's begin delivering A-PLQ Mods 2-4
1 Oct 12 - distance learning opens for A-PLQ Mod 1
NLT 31 Dec 12 - all PLQ-L courses have ceased

EQUIVALENCY
Equivalency for pers midway through the PLQ-L mod system will be as follows:

- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mod 2-5 DL package only will transition directly onto Mod 2 of A-PLQ
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mods 1-5 must complete two-day distance learning "delta trg package" before transitioning onto A-PLQ Mod 3
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Modified mod 5 or PLQ-L Modified mods 2-5 DL followed by residency mods 1-3 will transition directly onto Mod 3 of A-PLQ
- Pers who ave completed Mod 6 part 1 of PLQ-L will not be granted equivalency for Mod 3 of A-PLQ, and will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 3 and 4 in their entirety
- Pers who have only completed a portion of PLQ-L Mods 1-5 delivered in residency before 31 Dec 12 will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 1-4 in their entirety.

Approved Col G.D. Corbould, Comd, 1617

Does anyone know if the DL on your own time or scheduled?
Anyone know the 2012/2013 PLQ sched for London?

DOM6569 said:

One format is on your own time over a two-month time period (part-time). The other is full-time, which is from 8:00am to 5:00pm and they track your online activity.

DOM6569 said:
Anyone know the 2012/2013 PLQ sched for London?

1. The DL is scheduled for 10 training days. You can either do it in a straight shot that's usually scheduled over about two and a half weeks and is intended for full time, full days, or a 'weekend' format that gives you a bit over a month to do it. For myself, I try to load my guys only on the longer duration one.

2. There is not a schedule for PLQs outside of the are training centres. None are currently approved to run. Mod 1 will always be DL adminsitered by Aldershot; Mod 2 can be run by the area training centres, by brigades or by units, and mods 3 and 4 can only be run by the ATCs.

We could well see the reserve brigades choosing to run Mod 2 on weekends; that'll be contingent on whether they discern a need to and have the budget / staff. I'd not be surprised to see mods 2, 3, and 4 all running consecutively in the summer at the ATCs. I've had no problem getting guys loaded on full time mod 2s; nothing stops a unit in Ottawa, for instance, from nominating someone for courses in Wainwright, Gagetown, or Aldershot and getting the spots.

Looking for someone in the know on how long I have to get my Inf mod 6? I have my 1-5 and would prefer not to start form scratch. I am under the impression that there is one running in Pet starting Jan 28, how far out do they confirm course loading? I have my name submitted and am waiting a response. I have learned to deal with the last minute notifications but it drives my wife crazy. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

jeffiep said:
Looking for someone in the know on how long I have to get my Inf mod 6? I have my 1-5 and would prefer not to start form scratch.

ARMY_101 said:
EQUIVALENCY
Equivalency for pers midway through the PLQ-L mod system will be as follows:

- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mod 2-5 DL package only will transition directly onto Mod 2 of A-PLQ
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mods 1-5 must complete two-day distance learning "delta trg package" before transitioning onto A-PLQ Mod 3
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Modified mod 5 or PLQ-L Modified mods 2-5 DL followed by residency mods 1-3 will transition directly onto Mod 3 of A-PLQ
- Pers who ave completed Mod 6 part 1 of PLQ-L will not be granted equivalency for Mod 3 of A-PLQ, and will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 3 and 4 in their entirety
- Pers who have only completed a portion of PLQ-L Mods 1-5 delivered in residency before 31 Dec 12 will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 1-4 in their entirety.

Approved Col G.D. Corbould, Comd, 1617

jeffiep said:
Looking for someone in the know on how long I have to get my Inf mod 6? I have my 1-5 and would prefer not to start form scratch. I am under the impression that there is one running in Pet starting Jan 28, how far out do they confirm course loading? I have my name submitted and am waiting a response. I have learned to deal with the last minute notifications but it drives my wife crazy. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Where'd you hear there's a 28 Jan PLQ in Pet? Direction from our chain of command was that all 33 CBG training was cancelled "for the foreseeable future, probably until April 2013."

ARMY_101 said:
Where'd you hear there's a 28 Jan PLQ in Pet? Direction from our chain of command was that all 33 CBG training was cancelled "for the foreseeable future, probably until April 2013."

Training may be cancelled for 33 CBG but the RegF is still going to run courses. Something starting 28 Jan in Pet definitely doesn't sound like a PRes course.

Army_101- you're not in 33 CBG anymore. Your present chain of command never has been. Be leery of taking anything they say about 33 CBG training at face value. Battle school continues to run courses. You know of at least 5 different ways to contact me; exercise any of them during the work day and you know that I can have you firm, non-speculative answers pretty quickly. That said, you also know that a PRL reservist who does not belong to or contribute actively to a unit likely will not get much support in trying to get career courses, and that the brigade will resist giving up batle school spots to someone who no longer is a member of it. When you made the decision to remove yourself from a regiment while working long term Cl B, you have also cut yourself off at the knees in terms of any career progression.

PuckChaser- PLQs are, as it stands, all being run at full time training establishments. The concept of 'RegF PLQs' versus 'PRes PLQs' is no longer, in my informed opinion, valid. I have two guys right now on Mod 6 Infantry in Aldershot. I had three there and one in Gagetown back in February. While, yes, some PLQ 3-4 serials will likely still run at the ATCs in the summer months aimed primarily at reservists, even my 'reserve' Mod 6 still had two troops from 3 RCR on it. Likewise, while 'rest of the year' serials see more reg force guys, we can nominate people and most serials will see some reservists loaded. All the moreso for the Mod 2 residency, and of course the Mod 1 DL is a total smorgasbord.

Jeffiep- To my knowledge (current as of about a week ago) there is a single legacy Mod 6 Infantry not yet underway and still scheduled to run. That is running out of Wainwright in Feb - Apr 2013. It may still get converted to a 'new' Infantry mods 3-4. Nothing whatsoever stops your unit from nominating you for this course. I can check tomorrow (if I remember to) and see if it's still showing as scheduled as a legacy course, or if it's new. All of the approved FY 13-14 PLQs are under the new system. Skeletor nailed it on equivalencies. If you have mods 1-5 (either in the old format, or the new DL/Residency) you can do new mods 3 and 4 and be PLQ qualified. Note that if you do the new PLQ infantry 3-4, you'll also still need the new DP2 Advanced Small Arms to get your leaf. If you get on that legacy 6 in Wainwright, that will suffice for appointment to MCpl.

Back to 'reserve' PLQs-  The only one of the 4 mods that is authorized to run at reserve training establishments (brigade battle schools) is Mod 2; 2 weeks duration, or what would be 5 weekends. If the success my unit has had is indicative of anything (disclaimer- as always, 'anecdote' doesn't equal 'data'), there seems little need for the CBGs to expend limited resources to run weekend PLQs, when the mod 2 residency is only two weeks. The minutes from the last Qualification Standard  writing board for Army PLQ included specific discussion of reserve/reg training deltas in PLQ, and it was made clear that there would be no difference in training delivered. So it makes sense to keep serials open to both, with exceptions made only where bona fide need exists to fill a gap, or in the summer when most reservists are most able to be available for two months.

With Mods 3-4 being shorter than the old Mod 6, my SWAG is that we'll see mod 2s scheduled immediately prior to most of the mods 3-4. I have the course dates at work for the next 16 months; I'll cross reference that tomorrow. That said, I could be wrong, and potentially at least some of the CBGs will run their own Mod 2s. But based on how CBG batle schools' budgets are getting hit, I'd be surprised if that were to win out against Inf DP2 Weapons Det courses, BMQ Land courses, DP1 Inf Mod 1s, or Driver Wheels.

Anyway gents, I hope that clears up some stuff for you.

I need a life.

Brihard said:
When you made the decision to remove yourself from a regiment while working long term Cl B, you have also cut yourself off at the knees in terms of any career progression.

Just seeking clarification - are you saying that when a soldier is on a long term class B outside his home unit (though he may continue to wear the cap badge), his career progression becomes the responsibility of his host unit?

Shamrock said:
Just seeking clarification - are you saying that when a soldier is on a long term class B outside his home unit (though he may continue to wear the cap badge), his career progression becomes the responsibility of his host unit?

Not precisely- PRL as opposed to belonging to a unit's strength. We have members working long term Cl B but still actively working with a unit that takes active interest in that member's career advancement. Conversely, you go CL B long term and get moved to PRL, it's no longer in the unit's interest to expend course positions on a guy who doesn't give back to a unit.

Thanks for clearing some of this up. I was into my unit Ops office about a month ago and reviewed the national calendar with the Ops WO, he showed me the Jan 28 start in Pet as well as 26 Mar in Aldershot. I am sure it has all changed by now, typical.

I just checked. The Feb - Apr Mod 6 Infantry is still showing as a legacy mod 6 rather than the new one.

The Infantry has not switched over to the new Mod system.  Only the Army PLQ has switched over, I have not heard of the official date when the Infantry is addopting it.

dangerboy said:
The Infantry has not switched over to the new Mod system.  Only the Army PLQ has switched over, I have not heard of the official date when the Infantry is addopting it.

Yes it has. I have troops already in the new system. Mods 1-3 are army common; only mod 4 is split army / inf. Mod 4 infantry courses begin in January. WATC and SQFT each have one legacy mod 6 inf still scheduled, but each also have new ones going subsequently. ATCs had a bit of latitude to account for courses already scheduled and planned for on the old QS.

Brihard said:
Not precisely- PRL as opposed to belonging to a unit's strength. We have members working long term Cl B but still actively working with a unit that takes active interest in that member's career advancement. Conversely, you go CL B long term and get moved to PRL, it's no longer in the unit's interest to expend course positions on a guy who doesn't give back to a unit.

Honestly not my intent to be argumentative (this time) - I'm just sort of trying to wrap my head around this.  Allow me to preface this with my saying I don't know what PRL is.  From my read of this, soldiers are able to apply for out-of-unit employment with minimal chain of command engagement and rather than getting a full-blown posting, are essentially loaners to the gaining units.  Home units remain the URS and career managers. 

The issue I take with the information posted above is it seems the withholding of the course is punitive.  The soldier, though not taken on strength at his home unit, is not NES; if anything, his performance will be subject to more substantial review, which in turn could lead to a more solid placement in the merit list.  If anything, low meriting would be a greater reason not to course-load a troop than otherwise.

I certainly don't think someone would fall off the merit list simply because he's working outside the unit.  But I do think it'd be quite impossible to nominate him for the course while he's getting paid to work somewhere else.  I must again profess my ignorance, but I think their budget assumes the soldier's pay - and if this assumption is correct, it becomes salient there would be little advantage in sending him or her on a course of that length.

@Shamrock As a member of a PRL, perhaps I can clarify.

A PRL (Primary Reserve List) is a unit in and of itself.  It is intended for serving Class B (and sometimes C) reservists who "cannot be conveniently administered through another reserve unit."  There are two in Ottawa and I believe 6 or 7 others throughout Canada.

They are not structured any differently than any other unit: they have a CO, DCO, RSM, etc. and a Personnel Management section which is the equivalent to any other unit's Ops section (they administer career progression, tours, etc).  A member who belongs to a PRL is fully a member of the PRL - that's their home unit, where their pers file is held, to whom they report for pay and admin, and so forth.

That's why I'm a bit confused by the above post stating that a PRL has no interest in training a member who belongs to them.  They do have an interest in training and progressing their members, and you'd have an awful lot of upset members if you told them they weren't being trained or promoted because they belonged to a PRL.

Back