• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

The thing with the DL Big Brother threats, as long as you log on every day, complete your modules every day, take part in the daily discussion, and hand in your assignments, everything should be gravy.

I very much doubt that the DS in Gagetown is logging in at 1850 to make sure that Cpl Bloggins in Edmonton is still logged on at 1550 Mountain time. Or that it only took him 12 minutes to go through the Mess Etiquette module.

ObedientiaZelum said:
That may be cheaper but is it the ideal introduction to leadership? Leading through emails?
I'm fairly skeptical about this capability.

I agree.

In my tiny mind, the PLQ should be an in house residency style course. Future leaders need role models......is your  Dell Laptop an appropriate role model?

Beadwindow 7 said:
...... Or that it only took him 12 minutes to go through the Mess Etiquette module.

It is the Digital Age and there are timers built into many of these programs; so yes, they likely know that Bloggins only spent 12 minutes on Mess Etiquette.    >:D

George Wallace said:
It is the Digital Age and there are timers built into many of these programs; so yes, they likely know that Bloggins only spent 12 minutes on Mess Etiquette.    >:D

Oh, I'm sure they do. The question is, do they care? As long as they're digital "section members" are putting all the checks in the required boxes.

I wasn't a fan of the DL modules on certain lessons. Specifically the teaching and Range Safety portions. Hard to get a full grasp from a screen.

Jim Seggie said:
I agree.

In my tiny mind, the PLQ should be an in house residency style course. Future leaders need role models......is your  Dell Laptop an appropriate role model?

Well, I would think that people tapped for the course have been identified as potential leaders to begin with.  To be honest I don't really place the instructors of a PLQ as the role models I followed.  I got a lot more from the leaders I've served under, good and bad.

I see the PLQ as a means to provide tools to be good leaders.  The role models abound in a soldier's career.  Leadership is developped.  Online or in class, the PLQ is just really a toolbox.  For me I used/use that toolbox, but I learned a lot more about leadership from men far better than I. 

Sheep Dog AT said:
Given your situation I'd pull myself off course if your at sea. You should be spending between 5-8 hours in front of the computer.

In the past now, by quite a few years, but my facilitator was good about it. He agreed that the media-heavy site was a problem for deployed pers and there had been complaints about it before, but as of my experience of it ('08), no changes planned. I remember thinking how unsuprised I was at this revelation :)

Having not seen the DL for PLQ so take this with a grain of salt, items like instruct drill and skill/knowledge lessons will be done at the ATC's when the member arrives for the PT and Field portions I think...

And I agree with everyone else that DL should not be used for a PLQ course... for courses like 6A/B/ILP/ALP/SLP sure

The new PLQ is broken into 4 mods now.

Mod 1 is the only one DL and is just under 2 weeks. You cover a lot of stuff including Memos, PDR/PER's, duty, honour etc. Nothing that needs to be hands on.

Mod 2 is the instructing phase, 9 days I think. Usually done on or near the base you work at I believe. Topics covered are drill, Wpn classes, etc

Phase 3 & 4 are in the field. 15 consecutive days each where I believe patrolling, defensive, etc are covered.

DONT_PANIC said:
Is DL the only way that they are running PLQ now, or is there will the traditional full 8 week courses being run?  I've heard different answers either way.

CANFORGEN 031/13 by Comd CA laid out the "new" four-Mod PLQ system. Mod 1 is always distance learning, and the POs for Mods 2-4 has been posted earlier in this thread.

Mods 1-5 done,
Anyone have a PLQ-L calender? Been told to find a suggestion for the most suitable time/loc for me to be placed on.

PM the link please!

Thanks!!

I didn't think they were running anymore legacy courses.... so I do believe you will have to do MODS 3 and 4 of the new system....

upandatom said:
Mods 1-5 done,

How did you do Mods 1-5? I didn't think they were running any past September 2012 ???

As per an earlier post, this is the equivalency plan:

EQUIVALENCY
Equivalency for pers midway through the PLQ-L mod system will be as follows:

- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mod 2-5 DL package only will transition directly onto Mod 2 of A-PLQ
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Mods 1-5 must complete two-day distance learning "delta trg package" before transitioning onto A-PLQ Mod 3
- Pers who have completed PLQ-L Modified mod 5 or PLQ-L Modified mods 2-5 DL followed by residency mods 1-3 will transition directly onto Mod 3 of A-PLQ
- Pers who ave completed Mod 6 part 1 of PLQ-L will not be granted equivalency for Mod 3 of A-PLQ, and will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 3 and 4 in their entirety
- Pers who have only completed a portion of PLQ-L Mods 1-5 delivered in residency before 31 Dec 12 will be required to complete A-PLQ Mods 1-4 in their entirety.

This PLQ thread is convincing me that this has become another episode of The Gong Show like boot procurement has.  *golf clap*  brah-vo!!

Eye In The Sky said:
This PLQ thread is convincing me that this has become another episode of The Gong Show like boot procurement has.  *golf clap*  brah-vo!!

Hey, I just work here :-\

FWIW, this course makes liberal use of online learning with moderated discussions etc too:

http://www.royalroads.ca/prospective-students/master-arts-leadership

ARMY_101 said:
Does anyone have any experience with their inf unit's interpretation of the Training Implementation Directive from CTC (BGen Corbould) dated 29 Oct 12?

Specifically, since ASA is a new course for promotion to MCpl, current MCpls and Sgts have priority to attend ASA; where does that leave promotion prospects for Cpls with PLQ Mods 1-4 in the new system? (Without the training plan change they would be promotable to MCpl following PLQ.)

Training Directive para 10 (b) says ASA may be waived if 1) the mbr lacks the qual due to service reasons (e.g. scheduling and not because the mbr failed); 2) the mbr is nominated for the next available course; and 3) two years following the promotion, if the mbr has not yet completed ASA, their file will be reviewed to determine whether they should be bumped back to Cpl.

Does this mean a promotion to MCpl without ASA is Acting/Lacking, or Acting While so Employed? Have any units recently promoted any MCpls who could speak to how they did it and whether the candidate was considered a "legacy" promotion (i.e. under the old system) or anything special.

Anyone's assistance/experience in recently being promoted or interpreting this new policy would be greatly appreciated.

I am not an infanteer, but,

this is the canforgen related to the transition, and I must say it has been a smooth transition, smoothest I have seen and even with only 7 years, I have seen between career, career courses, and mil qualschange and cause nightmares for others, so I have to say good work.

http://vcds.mil.ca/vcds-exec/pubs/canforgen/2013/031-13_e.asp

I completed 1-5, then promoted, posted, been waiting for a MOD 6, system changed, I recieved and email for DND Learn, completed it, now recieved word I am loaded onto a MOD4 (new MOD 6) this summer. Still waiting on message and location though. Not Worried go there, do it, come home,

My question is, they are pretty clear about the duration of MOD 1+2, but kinda grey on MOD 3+4,
is it;

15 days combined MOD 3+4?

or,

MOD 3 15 days
MOD 4 15 days
Total 30?

Cheers,

@Upandatom

Mod 1: 11 days DL
Mod 2: 9 training days
Mod 3: 14 training days
Mod 4 (infantry): 25 days

Or, for the non-infantry Mod 4:

TRAINING DURATION
9. Module training as follows:
a. Mod 1 - DL - 11 days;
b. Mod 2 – drill, classroom, range and physical
training - 9 days;
c. Mod 3 – plan, conduct activity and stability
operations - 15 days;
d. Mod 4 – conduct enabling, offensive and
defensive operation - 15 days;

Leadership point #1-ensure your soldiers have a place to sleep when you send them on a tasking  ;D

Does anyone know where I can find the DL Delta Package for PLQ Mod 1-6 transition to PLQ Mod 1-4?

Thanks

Back