• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I need some help about a situation concerning my son. He has been accepted into the Army and his enrolment ceremony is June 3rd. During his last interview he was asked if he had ever suffered from depression and he answered honestly and said yes he had at one time. The recruiter gave him a form to take to his family doctor for her to fill out. The problem is in his past he has used Marijuana  and has been to Rehab  and has cleaned himself up. The doctor wrote previous drug abuse on the form, our concern now is will this ruin his chances of joining next week? He is very worried this will ruin his chances as he has cleaned up and changed his life as he is no longer using and no longer has depression.  He has waited over two years to get the call and it finally came and is now worried his past will ruin it for him. He has been given all his dates to start, and now is upset because he doesn’t know if he will be allowed to join.

Thank you for your time,

Sylvia L

Thank you the recruiter said she will know tomorrow  if there is a problem or not. If there is should we go to Ottawa and see if there is anything he can do to get them to change their minds? :cdn:

The doctor wrote previous drug abuse on the form

If that form went in, and he has been given an date for swearing in, etc.
then he's passed the medical.  Unless, as stated above, he lied on the form
and interview.

Hi Sylvia,

The Canadian Forces would rather you be honest, even if you had a cloudy past. I have smoked hashish, marijuana, drank when I was young, had depression, was placed in psychiatric care but I was open and honest about it. They requested my doctor's OK on my health, and overall took my word for it and now I'm just waiting for my call from selection. However I was pretty brutal on the form and made myself sound possibly worse than how I was. I wanted to convey the worst that I was to show I have nothing to hide. Unfortuanately, your son would have benefitted with some of the posts here relating to it.

I hope your son was honest on the forms. The Canadian Forces want him in as much as he wants to be in, despite of his past. He was already accepted if he's being sworn in. Did he out contradicting information on the form?

Mud

Hi,

I have been trying to find the answer to my question for some time now and have had a hard time finding it. So here it is. I am in the recruitment process and have done my CFAT and passed and answered the past drug use questionnaire and medical questions. I am now waiting for the call for an interview and medical test. I was completely honest on my questionnaire and wrote that I have used marijuana once or twice a year for the past 4 years for a total of 6 times. I am sure this is not a problem, however, I think there could be a problem with when I used it, which was, for the last time, 3 months ago. I have read on these forums that we have to be clean for 6 months to be eligible. Now I am wondering if this meens clean of dependent drug use or clean of any drug use, or if this is even true. If anything is not clear please let me know and I will clarify.

Thanks in advance

I'll be burtally honest here.  With the current recruiting situation (way more applicants than positions) why would the CF want someone with a history of drug use?  We have enough substance abuse problems and "occasional users," we don't need to add more to the mix.  Is MJ a HUGE deal in the grand scheme of things....probably not.  But as I said, the CF can be VERY picky at who they accept right now.

If I were a betting man I'd say don't hold your breath with regards to getting a job offer anytime soon.

Just my .02

or you should talk to the recruiting centre because you will get a wide spectrum of answers on that question based on peoples opinions and experience.  Times have changed .... a lot since I joined.  I was honest on the question too.  They asked when was the last time and I told them a month ago.  They asked why I decided to quite and I told them because I wanted to join the military which didn't allow drug use.  27 years later I am still around while many that either didn't tell the truth or  use prior to joining have gone out the door for using.  Now if we went purely on my experience you would be good to go but I will say again times have changed.  There are lots looking to get in so they are able to create a different screening level.  Perhaps now they are more prone to say no unless you have been clean for x period of time.  It is good though to tell the truth because if you didn't and it was found out after you were in you could be released. 

Don't give up, stay clean and good luck.

I used marijuana moderately for a while. I had only been "clean" for a few months before my aptitude test. I was completely honest about my usage. I was asked why I quit, and I said it was because joining the military was what I was positive I wanted to do and that no high could ever compare to how I knew I would feel when I finally put on that uniform. Not to mention, I never cared about marijuana, it was just something to do and it was fun.
The officer commended me for my honesty and commitment in ensuring that I no longer used or surrounded myself with people who I knew had a tendency to smoke marijuana regularly. He then informed me that he was going to put my application on hold for a couple of months to ensure that I had enough time to clear my head and be sure that this was what I wanted.
Months later at the interview a different officer told me that my past drug use affected my competitiveness. My aptitude test score was high, I did well on my interview/medical, but my high school grades/past substance use were problematic. (in the sense that, as RCDcpl said, why pick someone with a history of substance use when someone who has stayed clean their entire lives is just as readily available?) I took this as a sign that I would likely not be very high on the merit list and began doing what I could to improve my competitiveness in other areas (applying to college, looking around for volunteer work, etc). I then received a job offer. It could have been arbitrary, but regardless I accepted.

I don't have anything against marijuana users (save for the perma-fried stoners who can hardly speak a sentence without stopping to regroup their thoughts...), however any illicit substance use/abuse has no place in any institution where lives may be lost if jobs are not done 100% efficiently and properly. Stay clean, be honest, and if the time comes when you do get a job offer, do your absolute best and prove to yourself/others that past mistakes can be made up for.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you were honest with them and that you're no longer using.

You will be subject to random testing.

Maybe you could get posted to RSS Amsterdam!! Doorman at the Bulldog I might add! :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks a lot guys, great info! I realized that no one really mentioned the 6 month policy, is that because it does not exist or that you aren't sure about it?

Hey Sportsguy,

I applied last April and have since been merit listed. I too, used to use marijuana, somewhat moderately through my teenage years. I was totally honest in how much I "used" and how long it has been. I was then asked "why did you quit?" and my answer was "Because this is worth it, a career, a life in the military, being part of the Canadian forces, is worth not smoking pot anymore." I was successfully "Merit listed" so don't be discouraged, they will consider you, heck, I like to think that they admire you giving up past pleasures and showing responsibility and dedication to something greater. But then again, I'm still "just merit listed" haha, so I suppose we will see if they pick us up in April 2012! Good luck to you and congratulations on kicking the habit and doing something you can truly be proud of.

Admire him for giving up "past pleasures?"  Not the word I'd use......but whatever helps you sleep at night.

RCDcpl said:
Admire him for giving up "past pleasures?"  Not the word I'd use......but whatever helps you sleep at night.

Does it matter what term he used? Someone was given the member best wishes for making a commitment to be clean, thats all that counts.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back