• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in and filled out the list with the recruiter during my interview.
-Coke
-Weed
-Mushrooms
-Hash
-Oil
And was in basic 2-3 weeks later.

They aint looking for saints.She did express concern about the usage,however at that point of my life (ripe old age of 17)I was bored with all that.I went off to have a very successful career thus far in the military.While my fiends whom were not little idiots like me in highschool all went to college bombed out when they discovered drugs,and a few are living on the streets in Leduc Alb smoking crack.

The only concern she had with me was the date I last used mushrooms as its considered "hard drugs".

Smoking weed once is far from something to be concerned about.

You should reformulate your question to :

Have you taken any illegal drugs ever?

Because tylenol or Advil is considered a drug, so yeah

Me personally, I've never done any illegal drug, only thing I've done is alcohol.

Well the questionnaire they have you fill out also includes, notably that stick out in my mind, alcohol and caffeine. So yes, you wouldn't be "clean" either.

Again, they're not looking for people with pristine backgrounds. They're looking for people that do not currently have a chemical dependence. Frankly, I think they'd be much more concerned with the person who downs 12 cups of coffee and a pack of smokes a day than the person who used to smoke a joint a week up till half a year ago. But, that's just my humble opinion.

The big thing they are trying to find out is if your a addict,if the drugs have made you borderline retarded,or if your past will become a future problem.Go in be honest and they will decide if you make it in or not.Using drugs is a dangerous recreation period.Even more so when it's the guy watching your back.
I just wanted to add that as my previous comment may be perceived as supporting any form of drug use.And although alcohol abuse is losing it's popularity in common culture,I am not a fan of the "red nosers" that use to be rampant.Alcohol abuse is a horrible disease as well as hard drugs

Yes,

Ibuprofen,
Naproxen,
Tylenol,
Aspirin.

You know, most people I work with take those drugs too....

OK....i know there are TONS of posts up here that kinda all go around the same subject, and i have read most of them, so please i truly need some accurate and honest facts/opinions here.

A friend of mine and i are both applying for a reserve job(army), so far everything is still in process, but it looks like either one of us will be getting the call for CFAT and medical, etc etc, really soon (Couple months? give or take?) .

Here's the deal, my buddy is real stressed about the whole drug screening. We were told not to lie, EVER, and he doesn't intend on doing so.  As far i know, he hasn't smoked pot in about three years, never messed around with pills and all that crap, although he enjoys to drink and smokes quite a lot of cigarettes. About a year ago, for some stupid reason, decided to do some coke, ONCE! And then, never did it again. The debate here was wether or not to mention this at the medical.

this being said, what are the chances of passing in a situation like this? will he be asked to re-apply later? what is the policy on this? Any good info would help.

So, what about all the different posts that you read did you have trouble understanding?  Allow me to summarize:

1.  He's an idiot.

2.  Telling the truth to the Recruiters is the only acceptable course of action.

3.  He might be told to go away and reapply at some future time.  If that happens suck it up, he chose to do the drugs, he can now meet the requirements to be clean before applying as directed by the Recruiters.

4.  You will not find much sympathy here for casual drug users who think it shouldn't matter.

I echo Mr O'Leary's post.  Be honest in your dealings with the Recruiting Centre.  Only they can tell you whether or not it is an issue.  If you have to wait, you have to wait.

Your "friend" may be getting stressed for nothing.

I agree with Michael's post.

I will word it a bit differently, in that it is better to make a mistake and own up to it than to make a mistake and hope nobody finds out.

While I do not work at a recruiting centre, I can say that I am at a (middle) rank where I assess people's performance and character, and it would impress me quite a bit if someone came to me to say that they had made a mistake but now they've learned their lesson.

If I can give your friend - which I assume means you ;) - any advice, it would be that when he brings it up, make sure he mentions that he now knows it was stupid, he learned his lesson, and in the long-run it turned into a positive experience because now he knows that path is not for him and he wants to live life by the rules.

It's funny how so many people are worried about their friend's enrolment, rather than their own, and come here to make sure their "friend" is good to go ;)

Okay so here is the story. I am very very interested in a career in the army and like many others (not making it okay) I have used drugs. As far as marijuana use goes I was not a heavy user. I spent some time in Amsterdam (total of 12-14 days in the last 1.5 years) with some friends who study there and I did use marijuana. I since march have not nor wanted to smoke it in the slightest. I have found on here that I need to go 6 months clean before beginning the application process.

The reason I have reposted this is because I while in Amsterdam I also took LSD. I know it was a stupid decision I don't need people to tell me this. The thing is, what I did take was basically what was left after everyone else I was with had done what they wanted. What I ended up taking was an equivalent to what I was told at the time was 1/4 of a normal "hit". I understand that a primary concern is flashbacks but when I was on it I actually never even had enough in me to trip thank God and it actually only felt the exact same effects of marijuana. 

One week after I returned from Amsterdam I decided that marijuana really is a gateway drug and that it had aided me in making the worst decision I will ever make in my life and I have been clean of illegal drugs since then. I have also quit smoking cigarettes which I smoked for around 10 months and rarely drink as of lately.

I am not a stoner or a pot head. I am simply someone who experimented. For those who will ask why I would do that if I wanted a career in the military. I have always been interested in the Military but never seriously considered it to be an option primarily because my family are not super supportive because its dangerous.  I have many friends who serve in various Militaries and lately decided that my family would have to live with it and have actually began to change their view.

I would like to hear for certain perhaps from someone working in recruiting as to whether or not each person's drug use past is looked upon individually in the interview or if its a simple 3 years from use for everyone.

I am sorry for the recurring topic but would really appreciate any answers that are not just a guess or speculation.

Thank you

I would think (sorry, speculation) that each person's drug history would be looked at on a case-by-case basis.  After all, there is a huge difference between someone who was a heavy user or a "social" user and someone who only experimented, as seems to be your case.

Tell the truth on your application.

I appreciate the reply. I would have to agree with you and I hope that is the case. It really was all the truth. It has been bothering me for the last two days and I was looking for some answers to try and give my mind a rest.

Prefaced with the usual "I am not qualified to answer your question in any official capacity".

I've been rather curious about this as well, and there seems to be a lot of mixed information on the subject.

From what I have looked at from the forums, before 2007 there was a hard 3-year limit on the use of hallucinogens. From reading DND documents, in 2006, they rewrote pre-enrollment drug policy to initiate a more individual case-by-case approach to drug use prior to joining the forces. Indeed, most of the posts in the drug use topics that were made before 2007 have indicated that they were immediately counselled out of the recruiting process for a hallucinogen violation within the last three years, while a few posts made in 2008 and 2009 have indicated that the use of hallucinogens was overlooked as recently as two years previous, as long as it was experimental.

Without knowing if this was an official policy change, it seems that you certainly have a much better chance now that you would have in previous years. The general consensus is to be honest and say a little prayer if you're so inclined.

Edit: The document relevant to this post can be found at http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/pd/pi-ip/14-06-eng.asp.

I didn't mean to imply you weren't telling the truth.  I just meant to be honest on your application.

Well that seems like better news. I have noticed the same. I have seen a few people write saying that they had done mushrooms and it was experimental and it was overlooked. I do believe that one thing I do have in my favour is that although I did take LSD I never got a full dosage and never experienced the full potential of it and know for sure I won't have to worry about flashbacks and all the back things that could come.

Okay I am sorry I misunderstood you. I wouldn't lie. I believe in being truthful especially in the something as important as the forces. I am not proud of what I have done, but I am not going to sit around and feels sorry for myself. I would tell the truth even if it meant no military career at all.

On that note, most of my conclusions were drawn from the fact that the 2006 document indicates a change from current policy at the time.

Request: It would be helpful if anyone had any official documentation indicating what the official policy was before then. It might help to highlight any glaring changes in the policy, so we can update the information people are working from. I'd hate to see someone jump into the "drug use" topic and immediately be put off by some of the zero-tolerance posts from 2003.

To find out if *your* drug history may affect your enrollment, the best thing to do is to apply and when they hand you the drug sheet to be honest about your use and let the officer reviewing your file to tell you if *your* history qualifies for a waiting period or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back