• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Presidential election may be up for grabs

CougarDaddy said:
I am inferring from the above post that identity politics do play a large role in your analysis. What happened to Mr. Thucydides' principle that Conservatives place more stock on individual or personal stances on issues as opposed to voting by ethnic or class bloc, which he emphasized earlier in this thread, IIRC? So one must now admit that group or identity politics cannot be totally ignored?

Conservatives do place more stock on the individual than the "group", but Kirkhill has set the context of appealing to voting blocks and "strategic" campaigns. Perusing the "Blogging Tories" demonstrates these ideas; individuals as diverse as Ezra Levant. "Blazing Catfur" and "Gay and Right" share similar sets of values, hence their appearance on the Blogging Tories, but are also parts of larger demographics as well.

Where Classical Liberals and Progressives diverge is Progressives would like to lump Ezra Levant into the "Jewish" block; "Blazing Catfur" into the large annoyed mammals category ( ;D), and Gay and Right into the GBLT demographic; Classical Liberals wish to look beyond the simplistic labels and "group identities", certainly the writings of these individuals demonstrates more commonalities between them than the "group identities" that Progressives wish to pigeon hole them into.

The ideal Classical Liberal campaign would be to set forth a platform which appeals to the common ideals (i.e. the CPC five election planks campaign of 2006), whereas Progressives try to appeal to specific group identity blocks (as MSM and Progressive obsession with race, class and demographics indicates). Progressives obviously have difficulties with people who don't toe the line, look at their treatment of American black conservatives like Dr Rice.....

So I would expect to see the US campaign moving into some variation of these two modes; the McCain campaign will have a straightforward narrative (with subtle emphasis changes for various audiences as Kirkhill suggests); while the Obama campaign will offer widely divergent promises designed to appeal to specific "groups".

Oh, Mark Steyn on Senator McCain's VP pick (outstanding as always)....

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODNhOTk2YTU0NWY4ZjY5ODNhZTgyOWZkNjY5YjFlMmY=

The hostess with the moosest  [Mark Steyn]

Over in the Frumistan province of the NR caliphate, our pal David is not happy about the Palin pick. I am - for several reasons.

First, Governor Palin is not merely, as Jay describes her, "all-American", but hyper-American. What other country in the developed world produces beauty queens who hunt caribou and serve up a terrific moose stew? As an immigrant, I'm not saying I came to the United States purely to meet chicks like that, but it was certainly high on my list of priorities. And for the gun-totin' Miss Wasilla then to go on to become Governor while having five kids makes it an even more uniquely American story. Next to her resume, a guy who's done nothing but serve in the phony-baloney job of "community organizer" and write multiple autobiographies looks like just another creepily self-absorbed lifelong member of the full-time political class that infests every advanced democracy.

Second, it can't be in Senator Obama's interest for the punditocracy to spends its time arguing about whether the Republicans' vice-presidential pick is "even more" inexperienced than the Democrats' presidential one.

Third, real people don't define "experience" as appearing on unwatched Sunday-morning talk shows every week for 35 years and having been around long enough to have got both the War on Terror and the Cold War wrong. (On the first point, at the Gun Owners of New Hampshire dinner in the 2000 campaign, I remember Orrin Hatch telling me sadly that he was stunned to discover how few Granite State voters knew who he was.) Sarah Palin and Barack Obama are more or less the same age, but Governor Palin has run a state and a town and a commercial fishing operation, whereas (to reprise a famous line on the Rev Jackson) Senator Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. She's done the stuff he's merely a poseur about. Post-partisan? She took on her own party's corrupt political culture directly while Obama was sucking up to Wright and Ayers and being just another get-along Chicago machine pol (see his campaign's thuggish attempt to throttle Stanley Kurtz and Milt Rosenberg on WGN the other night).

Fourth, Governor Palin has what the British Labour Party politician Denis Healy likes to call a "hinterland" - a life beyond politics. Whenever Senator Obama attempts anything non-political (such as bowling), he comes over like a visiting dignitary to a foreign country getting shanghaied into some impenetrable local folk ritual. Sarah Palin isn't just on the right side of the issues intellectually. She won't need the usual stage-managed "hunting" trip to reassure gun owners: she's lived the Second Amendment all her life. Likewise, on abortion, we're often told it's easy to be against it in principle but what if you were a woman facing a difficult birth or a handicapped child? Been there, done that.

Fifth, she complicates all the laziest Democrat pieties. Energy? Unlike Biden and Obama, she's been to ANWR and, like most Alaskans, supports drilling there.

Sixth (see Kathleen's link to Craig Ferguson below), I kinda like the whole naughty librarian vibe. 

Thucydides said:
Oh, Mark Steyn on Senator McCain's VP pick (outstanding as always)....

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODNhOTk2YTU0NWY4ZjY5ODNhZTgyOWZkNjY5YjFlMmY=

The other side's response to balance out Mark Steyn's comments:  ^-^

http://fabiusmaximus.wordpress.com/2008/08/30/palin/

(Note that the article titles listed below further down the excerpt are actually hyperlinked in the webpage link above.)

Given McCain’s age and health history, the choice of Vice President has unusually great significance.  He chose someone who looks good, sounds good, and fits his marketing needs.  She is, however, grossly unqualified to be President of the United States.  Perhaps her primary qualification is to make Obama look over-qualified.   

McCain treats the election as if it were a reality TV show, to be won by tricks.  It mocks the McCain campaign’s slogan of “Country First.”   This choice not only demonstrates his well-known erraticness plus, in my opinion, displays contempt for the American people.  Are we as stupid as he believes us to be?

America will survive whoever wins.  Electing unqualified people with good marketing worked for us in the 19th century, it might prove disastrous in the 21st.   (Although the song “Tippecanoe and Tyler too“ may have won the Presidency for Harrison in the 1840, he had prior service as Governor, Representative, and Senator).

Content

-Compare and Contrast Palin and Obama
-Is executive experience like homeopathic medicine?
-Interviews, the “troopergate” scandal, and other data about Palin
-Update: Palin giggles as radio hosts mock a cancer-surviving legislator as a ‘*****’ and ‘cancer’.”
-Where to go for more analysis of McCain’s choice of VP

1.  Compare and Contrast Palin and Obama

Obama might become President.  So might Palin.  Note that several of the details in the mainstream stories are either mis-leading or incorrect about her background.

Sarah Palin

Education

University of Idaho, major in communications

Political Offices

Part-time Wasilla City Council:  1992 - 1996
Part-time Wasilla Mayor:  1996 - 2002   (2000 population 5,470)
Part-time Member, Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission:  19 February 2003 to 23 January 2004
Alaska Governor:  4 December 2006 to present  (21 months).
About the O&G Con. Commission:  She is listed in their 2004 report as the “public member”, the other members being the geologist and the engineer.  Some news reports describer her as the “chairwoman”, but this appears inaccurate.  In 1969 the commission was reduced in size; after then it no longer had a Chairman or Executive Secretary.  Sources:  history, 2004 annual report.

Saying that she has good executive experience because of her time as part-time mayor of a tiny village seems a stretch.  How many employees does it have?  In 2002 it had an operating budget of $5.8 million (source).
Professional Career (dates and details differ about this info)

Part-time sports reporter for 2 TV stations: 1987 - 1989
Co-owner, commercial fishing operation, 1988 - 2007  (role uncertain)
Owner or co-owner of a snow machine, watercraft, and all-terrain vehicle business: 1994 - 1997  (role uncertain)
I have found nothing describing her role in what appear to be these two family businesses.  Was she, as many reports say, really a fisherman?

Barack Obama

Education

Columbia University
Harvard Law school

Political Office (aprox 1/2 of this time spent campaigning)

IL Senate:   1 January 1997 - 4 November 2004
US Senate:  4 January 2005 - present  (44 months)
Professional Career

Director of Illinois Project Vote!:  April - October 1992
Practicing attorney:  Associate in his firm 1993 - 1996, Counsel 1996 - 2004
part-time Lecturer at U of Chicago: 1992-1996, Senior Lecturer 1996-2004
Scandals

There are many rumors about Obama’s relationship with Rezko, which are too complex to review here.  See Wikipedia for a brief and more links.

2.  Does executive experience work like homeopathic medicine?

The belief that Palin has substantial ”executive experience” is odd, IMO.  As if scale has no meaning, both in the time spent governing and the size of the organization she ran. Is this like Homeopathic medicine: executive experience has an effect irrelevant to its concentration? One drop, one molecule, is all it takes?

Or is executive experience like most things in life, where the scale matters?  A village of 5 thousand people has a part-time mayor, but that is not comperable to being Governor.  Being a senior executive legislature of a state or nation for 20 months gains less experience than doing so for 5 years.

Legislative experience is slightly different.  For example, a US Senator’s experience has nothing to do with the size of the State he or she represents. They all cast one equal vote; they all do similar things in the Senate.

3.  Interviews, the “troopergate” scandal, and other data

-The “troopergate” scandal sounds ugly.  Very ugly.

-“Palin staff pushed to have trooper fired“, Daily Anchorage News, 14 August 2008 — “Governor says she’s learned calls were made about Wooten’s ouster”
-“Interview with Sarah Palin“, Time, 14 August 2008 — Slow pitches to Palin.
-“Why Walt Monegan got fired: Palin’s abuse of power“, Andrew Halcro, posted at his blog, undated — A brief description of the troopergate story, accuracy unknown.

4.  Update: Palin giggles as radio hosts mock a cancer-surviving legislator as a ‘*****’ and ‘cancer’.” Summary: “Hear Sarah Palin giggle as radio hosts mock a cancer-surviving legislator as a ‘*****’ and ‘cancer’.”

-Youtube recording of an interview with Sarah Palin, “Bob and Mark” show, Bob Lester and Mark Colavecchio, broadcast on radio station KWHL, 15 January 2008.  The shock jocks crudely mock Lyda Green, President of Alaska’s State Senate.   Governor Palin giggles in response.

-This must be heard to be believed, as interviews with Governors go. Esp bizarre are her giggles. If McCain-Palin win, we will have an interesting time ahead. If McCain dies or become incapacitated, we’ll have quite a ride ahead of us.  We will have no excuse, no basis to complain.

-The only report I can find from the time of the incident:  “Palin’s responses on radio talk show very unbecoming“, Anchorage Daily News, 27 January 2008.

5.  For more analysis of McCain’s choice of VP

-Zenpundit — who has collected many links on the topic! 
-Also drop by Sic Semper Tyrannis, the blog of Patrick Lang (Colonel, US Army, retired) — esp note the comments, which typically run from good to excellent.
-“What is McCain Thinking? One Alaskan’s Perspective.“, by AKMuckraker, posted at Mudflats, 29 August 2008 – A seemingly fair look at Palin.
Most esp, see National Review Online’s The Corner — a stream of wildly enthusiastic posts.
-“Palin the irresponsible choice?” David Frum, National Post, 29 August 2008 — A conservative dissents from the enthusiasm about Palin.
-“Palin touts stance on ‘Bridge to Nowhere,’ doesn’t note flip-flop“, Anchorage Daily News, 31 August 2008 — IMO a fair review of her record as Gov.

Skimming #3, the NRO site, is fascinating.  Pure identity politics:  she’s one of us, we love her.  They like her for who she is, not what she can do.  Almost zero discussion of her training, experience, or ability to function as President.  Strange, very strange for conservatives.  And it show the moral bankruptcy of the Republican Party.

Not about Palin, but useful analysis:   “Foreign Policy and the President’s Irrelevance” by George Friedman on Stratfor, 5 Feb 2008

Governor Palin's speech:

http://www.adn.com/palin/story/515148.html

Vice Presidential Nominee To Address the 2008 Republican National Convention

Published: September 3rd, 2008 07:09 PM
Last Modified: September 3rd, 2008 07:09 PM

SAINT PAUL, Minn. - This evening Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican Party's vice presidential nominee, will address the 2008 Republican National Convention. The governor's remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below.

Mr. Chairman, delegates, and fellow citizens: I am honored to be considered for the nomination for Vice President of the United States...

I accept the call to help our nominee for president to serve and defend America.

I accept the challenge of a tough fight in this election... against confident opponents ... at a crucial hour for our country.

And I accept the privilege of serving with a man who has come through much harder missions ... and met far graver challenges ... and knows how tough fights are won - the next president of the United States, John S. McCain.

It was just a year ago when all the experts in Washington counted out our nominee because he refused to hedge his commitment to the security of the country he loves.

With their usual certitude, they told us that all was lost - there was no hope for this candidate who said that he would rather lose an election than see his country lose a war.

But the pollsters and pundits overlooked just one thing when they wrote him off.

They overlooked the caliber of the man himself - the determination, resolve, and sheer guts of Senator John McCain. The voters knew better.

And maybe that's because they realize there is a time for politics and a time for leadership ... a time to campaign and a time to put our country first.

Our nominee for president is a true profile in courage, and people like that are hard to come by.

He's a man who wore the uniform of this country for 22 years, and refused to break faith with those troops in Iraq who have now brought victory within sight.

And as the mother of one of those troops, that is exactly the kind of man I want as commander in chief. I'm just one of many moms who'll say an extra prayer each night for our sons and daughters going into harm's way.

Our son Track is 19.

And one week from tomorrow - September 11th - he'll deploy to Iraq with the Army infantry in the service of his country.

My nephew Kasey also enlisted, and serves on a carrier in the Persian Gulf.

My family is proud of both of them and of all the fine men and women serving the country in uniform. Track is the eldest of our five children.

In our family, it's two boys and three girls in between - my strong and kind-hearted daughters Bristol, Willow, and Piper.

And in April, my husband Todd and I welcomed our littlest one into the world, a perfectly beautiful baby boy named Trig. From the inside, no family ever seems typical.

That's how it is with us.

Our family has the same ups and downs as any other ... the same challenges and the same joys.

Sometimes even the greatest joys bring challenge.

And children with special needs inspire a special love.

To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters.

I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House. Todd is a story all by himself.

He's a lifelong commercial fisherman ... a production operator in the oil fields of Alaska's North Slope ... a proud member of the United Steel Workers' Union ... and world champion snow machine racer.

Throw in his Yup'ik Eskimo ancestry, and it all makes for quite a package.

We met in high school, and two decades and five children later he's still my guy. My Mom and Dad both worked at the elementary school in our small town.

And among the many things I owe them is one simple lesson: that this is America, and every woman can walk through every door of opportunity.

My parents are here tonight, and I am so proud to be the daughter of Chuck and Sally Heath. Long ago, a young farmer and habber-dasher from Missouri followed an unlikely path to the vice presidency.

A writer observed: "We grow good people in our small towns, with honesty, sincerity, and dignity." I know just the kind of people that writer had in mind when he praised Harry Truman.

I grew up with those people.

They are the ones who do some of the hardest work in America ... who grow our food, run our factories, and fight our wars.

They love their country, in good times and bad, and they're always proud of America. I had the privilege of living most of my life in a small town.

I was just your average hockey mom, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids' public education better.

When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too.

Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown.

And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.

I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a "community organizer," except that you have actual responsibilities. I might add that in small towns, we don't quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren't listening.

We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco.

As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes, and whoever is listening, John McCain is the same man. I'm not a member of the permanent political establishment.< br> And I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone.

But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country. Americans expect us to go to Washington for the right reasons, and not just to mingle with the right people.

Politics isn't just a game of clashing parties and competing interests.

The right reason is to challenge the status quo, to serve the common good, and to leave this nation better than we found it.

No one expects us to agree on everything.

But we are expected to govern with integrity, good will, clear convictions, and ... a servant's heart.

I pledge to all Americans that I will carry myself in this spirit as vice president of the United States. This was the spirit that brought me to the governor's office, when I took on the old politics as usual in Juneau ... when I stood up to the special interests, the lobbyists, big oil companies, and the good-ol' boys network.

Sudden and relentless reform never sits well with entrenched interests and power brokers. That's why true reform is so hard to achieve.

But with the support of the citizens of Alaska, we shook things up.

And in short order we put the government of our state back on the side of the people.

I came to office promising major ethics reform, to end the culture of self-dealing. And today, that ethics reform is the law.

While I was at it, I got rid of a few things in the governor's office that I didn't believe our citizens should have to pay for.

That luxury jet was over the top. I put it on eBay.

I also drive myself to work.

And I thought we could muddle through without the governor's personal chef - although I've got to admit that sometimes my kids sure miss her. I came to office promising to control spending - by request if possible and by veto if necessary.

Senator McCain also promises to use the power of veto in defense of the public interest - and as a chief executive, I can assure you it works.

Our state budget is under control.

We have a surplus.

And I have protected the taxpayers by vetoing wasteful spending: nearly half a billion dollars in vetoes.

I suspended the state fuel tax, and championed reform to end the abuses of earmark spending by Congress.

I told the Congress "thanks, but no thanks," for that Bridge to Nowhere.

If our state wanted a bridge, we'd build it ourselves. When oil and gas prices went up dramatically, and filled up the state treasury, I sent a large share of that revenue back where it belonged - directly to the people of Alaska.

And despite fierce opposition from oil company lobbyists, who kind of liked things the way they were, we broke their monopoly on power and resources.

As governor, I insisted on competition and basic fairness to end their control of our state and return it to the people.

I fought to bring about the largest private-sector infrastructure project in North American history.

And when that deal was struck, we began a nearly forty billion dollar natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence.

That pipeline, when the last section is laid and its valves are opened, will lead America one step farther away from dependence on dangerous foreign powers that do not have our interests at heart.

The stakes for our nation could not be higher.

When a hurricane strikes in the Gulf of Mexico, this country should not be so dependent on imported oil that we are forced to draw from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

And families cannot throw away more and more of their paychecks on gas and heating oil.

With Russia wanting to control a vital pipeline in the Caucasus, and to divide and intimidate our European allies by using energy as a weapon, we cannot leave ourselves at the mercy of foreign suppliers.

To confront the threat that Iran might seek to cut off nearly a fifth of world energy supplies ... or that terrorists might strike again at the Abqaiq facility in Saudi Arabia ... or that Venezuela might shut off its oil deliveries ... we Americans need to produce more of our own oil and gas.

And take it from a gal who knows the North Slope of Alaska: we've got lots of both.

Our opponents say, again and again, that drilling will not solve all of America's energy problems - as if we all didn't know that already.

But the fact that drilling won't solve every problem is no excuse to do nothing at all.

Starting in January, in a McCain-Palin administration, we're going to lay more pipelines ... build more nuclear plants ... create jobs with clean coal ... and move forward on solar, wind, geothermal, and other alternative sources.

We need American energy resources, brought to you by American ingenuity, and produced by American workers. I've noticed a pattern with our opponent.

Maybe you have, too.

We've all heard his dramatic speeches before devoted followers.

And there is much to like and admire about our opponent.

But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate.

This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word "victory" except when he's talking about his own campaign. But when the cloud of rhetoric has passed ... when the roar of the crowd fades away ... when the stadium lights go out, and those Styrofoam Greek columns are hauled back to some studio lot - what exactly is our opponent's plan? What does he actually seek to accomplish, after he's done turning back the waters and healing the planet? The answer is to make government bigger ... take more of your money ... give you more orders from Washington ... and to reduce the strength of America in a dangerous world. America needs more energy ... our opponent is against producing it.

Victory in Iraq is finally in sight ... he wants to forfeit.

Terrorist states are seeking nuclear weapons without delay ... he wants to meet them without preconditions.

Al Qaeda terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America ... he's worried that someone won't read them their rights? Government is too big ... he wants to grow it.

Congress spends too much ... he promises more.

Taxes are too high ... he wants to raise them. His tax increases are the fine print in his economic plan, and let me be specific.

The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes ... raise payroll taxes ... raise investment income taxes ... raise the death tax ... raise business taxes ... and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars. My sister Heather and her husband have just built a service station that's now opened for business - like millions of others who run small businesses.

How are they going to be any better off if taxes go up? Or maybe you're trying to keep your job at a plant in Michigan or Ohio ... or create jobs with clean coal from Pennsylvania or West Virginia ... or keep a small farm in the family right here in Minnesota.

How are you going to be better off if our opponent adds a massive tax burden to the American economy? Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election.

In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers.

And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change.

They're the ones whose names appear on laws and landmark reforms, not just on buttons and banners, or on self-designed presidential seals.

Among politicians, there is the idealism of high-flown speechmaking, in which crowds are stirringly summoned to support great things.

And then there is the idealism of those leaders, like John McCain, who actually do great things. They're the ones who are good for more than talk ... the ones we have always been able to count on to serve and defend America. Senator McCain's record of actual achievement and reform helps explain why so many special interests, lobbyists, and comfortable committee chairmen in Congress have fought the prospect of a McCain presidency - from the primary election of 2000 to this very day.

Our nominee doesn't run with the Washington herd.

He's a man who's there to serve his country, and not just his party.

A leader who's not looking for a fight, but is not afraid of one either. Harry Reid, the Majority Leader of the current do-nothing Senate, not long ago summed up his feelings about our nominee.

He said, quote, "I can't stand John McCain." Ladies and gentlemen, perhaps no accolade we hear this week is better proof that we've chosen the right man. Clearly what the Majority Leader was driving at is that he can't stand up to John McCain. That is only one more reason to take the maverick of the Senate and put him in the White House. My fellow citizens, the American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of "personal discovery." This world of threats and dangers is not just a community, and it doesn't just need an organizer.

And though both Senator Obama and Senator Biden have been going on lately about how they are always, quote, "fighting for you," let us face the matter squarely.

There is only one man in this election who has ever really fought for you ... in places where winning means survival and defeat means death ... and that man is John McCain. In our day, politicians have readily shared much lesser tales of adversity than the nightmare world in which this man, and others equally brave, served and suffered for their country.

It's a long way from the fear and pain and squalor of a six-by-four cell in Hanoi to the Oval Office.

But if Senator McCain is elected president, that is the journey he will have made.

It's the journey of an upright and honorable man - the kind of fellow whose name you will find on war memorials in small towns across this country, only he was among those who came home.

To the most powerful office on earth, he would bring the compassion that comes from having once been powerless ... the wisdom that comes even to the captives, by the grace of God ... the special confidence of those who have seen evil, and seen how evil is overcome. A fellow prisoner of war, a man named Tom Moe of Lancaster, Ohio, recalls looking through a pin-hole in his cell door as Lieutenant Commander John McCain was led down the hallway, by the guards, day after day.

As the story is told, "When McCain shuffled back from torturous interrogations, he would turn toward Moe's door and flash a grin and thumbs up" - as if to say, "We're going to pull through this." My fellow Americans, that is the kind of man America needs to see us through these next four years.

For a season, a gifted speaker can inspire with his words.

For a lifetime, John McCain has inspired with his deeds.

If character is the measure in this election ... and hope the theme ... and change the goal we share, then I ask you to join our cause. Join our cause and help America elect a great man as the next president of the United States.

Thank you all, and may God bless America.

It appears that I guessed right: Gov. Palin did, indeed use the ”Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” analog but she used it to bash Obama and the media. Here, reproduced under the Fair Dealing provisions (§29) of the Copyright Act from today’s Globe and Mail, is the story as seen by John Ibbitson:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080904.wconventionsb04/BNStory/Front
My emphasis added
Republican Barracuda bites back
After five days of scrutiny, Palin lashes out at Washington elites and the media

JOHN IBBITSON

From Thursday's Globe and Mail
September 4, 2008 at 4:30 AM EDT

ST. PAUL, MINN. — Sarah Barracuda can take it, and as it turns out, she can give it back, too.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin (the above was her nickname on her high school basketball team) has endured five remorseless days of media reports exposing her family secrets and seeking to undermine her reputation as a crusading reformer in Alaska.

Last night was her turn. In a tough, uncompromising speech before a wildly enthusiastic Republican National Convention, Ms. Palin blithely melded the media and Washington's power elites into a single, malignant foe, and then declared war on them, or it.

At times, her delivery resembled more that of a small-town mayor than a vice-presidential candidate. Some voters will conclude Ms. Palin has entered an arena that is out of her league. Others will be drawn by her lack of artifice. The verdict among the Republican crowd was emphatic. They ate it up.

"I've learned quickly, these past few days, that if you're not a member in good standing of the Washington elite, then some in the media consider a candidate unqualified for that reason alone," she told the crowd at the Xcel Energy Center.

"But here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion - I'm going to Washington to serve the people."

The speech will undoubtedly help mollify the doubts about Republican nominee John McCain's choice, at least for now, and at least among the party faithful.

Whether it should be seen as fighting back or digging in, Ms. Palin's address is part of a co-ordinated counterattack by the Republicans. They've had it with the media, and they don't plan to take it any more.

"This vetting controversy is a faux media scandal designed to destroy the first female Republican nominee for vice-president of the United States," senior strategist Steve Schmidt said in a statement, "who has never been a part of the old boys' network that has come to dominate the news establishment in this country."

There would be, he said, no more discussion from the campaign of the vetting process. "This nonsense is over:"

At the convention itself, delegates echoed the chagrin of the party leadership. "She's a woman, and she's a Republican and she's a conservative, and that really bugs the media," said Steve Roberts, an Iowa delegate.

"I can't tell you the number of times I've been asked the question: 'Can she take care of her family and do this job?' "fumed Dora Kingsley, of California. "I haven't heard a male candidate asked that question in, wait, ever."

Those delegates got the speech they wanted, a frank and at-times derisive address that blended small-town autobiography with pointed jabs at Democratic nominee Barack Obama.

"From the inside, no family ever seems typical," Ms. Palin told them. "That's how it is with us. Our family has the same ups and downs as any other - the same challenges and the same joys."

She lambasted Mr. Obama for saying last spring, in a talk he thought was not being recorded, that economic frustration led "bitter" rural voters to "cling to guns or religion."

"We tend to prefer candidates who don't talk about us one way in Scranton and another way in San Francisco," she said.

And she lampooned his oratory: "Listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate," she said.

"This is a man who can give an entire speech about the wars America is fighting, and never use the word 'victory' except when he's talking about his own campaign."

The media frenzy surrounding Ms. Palin has been extreme, though no more than that which accompanied the imbroglio over Mr. Obama's association with his former pastor, Jeremiah Wright.

It is the product of a disturbing shift in how the media cover presidential elections. The proliferation of bloggers, Web-based journals and online videos drives the agenda. They broke the Wright affair, the controversy over Mr. Obama's "bitter voters" remarks, and churned the rumours over the pregnancy of Ms. Palin's unwed teenage daughter.

These revelations, invariably accompanied by accusations, commentary and false rumours, are picked up by the cable news networks, and then repeated in newspapers "now that it's out there."

The overall calibre of commentary declines, for which all of us in this craft are responsible. That said, the media storm generated by Mr. McCain's choice of Ms. Palin as running mate may well have done the Republicans some good.

It has certainly energized the social and religious base of the Republican Party. Ms. Palin's impeccable anti-abortion, pro-gun credentials have been affirmed, and often criticized, by the mainstream press, which the Christian right loathes.

These God-and-guns conservatives have always been leery of Mr. McCain, whom they see as dangerously permissive on social issues. But with his choice of Ms. Palin, and his staunch defence of her this week, they once again have a candidate they can believe in.

"I am now more confident about the McCain candidacy than I am about President Bush," said Tony Perkins, president of the Christian, conservative Family Research Council, in a newspaper interview.

"The campaign has courted conservatives aggressively, and it has turned around remarkably in just the last few weeks."

Ms. Palin also had a cutting riposte in her speech for the Democrats, who claim she is manifestly unqualified for the office of vice-president.

Alluding to Mr. Obama's first job in Chicago, she said: "Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves.

"I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

I know some of us here on Army.ca believe that the blogosphere is an essential counter to a lazy, ill-informed and biased mainstream media, an essential bulwark for the defence of our liberties against the massive collectives, including a collectivist media, that confront us. True enough, I guess, as far as it goes, but Ibbitson is also right: the blogosphere is, also, a totally irresponsible gang of gossipy old rumour mongers unfettered by any standards at all. They – some? many? most of them - spread rumours, they totally eschew fact checking and they are unburdened by anything like ethics. Pace to all the bloggers here but the blogosphere is so large (and barriers to entry are so low (Got a PC and Internet connection? Great, you’re ”approved!”)) that it cannot help but be overwhelmed by an ignorant, irresponsible majority – or, at least a huge minority.

But where in her speech does she speak to the major American problems, the economy, national debt and deficit, health care etc etc.
All we got was grandstanding and a lot of bluster.
Who would you want to step into the Presidential shoes Biden or Palin?

Baden  Guy said:

Since, as a Canadian looking solely at Canada's vital interests, I much prefer McCain to Obama then I have to 'want' Palin. Having an experienced big taxing and big spending Democrat backstopping an inexperienced big taxing/big spending Democrat does not fill me with confidence - in fact it scares the bejeezus out of me.

Baden  Guy said:
But where in her speech does she speak to the major American problems, the economy, national debt and deficit, health care etc etc.
All we got was grandstanding and a lot of bluster.

They have 60+ days to count the number of angels and devils on the head of a pin.....ad infinum.....patience.....last night was all about introducing her in the right light, and finding out if she was going to wilt under the scrutiny......she didn't, a bit stilted, but so would we all be in those circumstances....

Let's see....do I want a 30+ year political gameskeeper to have the handle of power, or someone who has some actual experience....tough one..

Kim Campbell was right when she said that an election campaign is no place to discuss policy.  As the liberals proved in their attacks on Harper, elections are all about trust.  The speech last night was all about why the Americans should trust McCain and not Obama.  But you have to admit, she has just brought life to an otherwise dull campaign.  The next 8 weeks will be very interesting. 

That said, there are a lot of very vicious attacks going on in this media. The hoovers are out checking under every bed.  Hillary Clintons web page is out in full support: but not for Obama.  They like McCain's choice or maybe they just don't like Obama.  The attacks on family values just don't stop and Obama's colour and religion also feature prominently on both sides>  If you vote for McCain you are racist and if you vote for Obama it is because he is black and you don't want to be seen as racist. 

Maybe she wanted to let Alaska secede so that they can later become part of Canada.  >:D

New revelations about the Republican vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin — including her membership of a party that wants Alaskans to vote on becoming a separate country — are raising questions about how thoroughly John McCain's campaign vetted her background before adding her to the ticket.

Palin was a member of the Alaskan Independence party (AIP) before becoming an elected Republican official, according to party members, and recorded a video message for the AIP convention this year. The AIP's chief goal is securing Alaska a vote on seceding from the US, a goal that party leaders believe the state was denied before it became part of the US almost 50 years ago.

Yet it is the AIP's motto, "Alaska First, Alaska Always", that may cause the most trouble for McCain. The Republican's campaign slogan this year is "Country First".

At the convention where Palin's video was played, the AIP vice-chairman, George Clark, told the audience that she was an AIP member before getting her first political post as mayor of the small town of Wasilla, Alaska.

"But you get along to go along — she eventually joined the Republican party, where she had all kinds of problems with their ethics, and well, I won't go into that," Clark said. "She also had about an 80% approval rating, and is pretty well sympathetic to her former membership."

Palin suggested in a July interview with CNBC news that she would insist on making Alaskan issues a high priority before agreeing to serve as a vice-presidential candidate. "We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans, and for the things we're trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the US, before I can even start addressing that question," she said.

In response to the AIP flap, the McCain camp denied that Palin was a party member and released voter registration documents that showed her affiliating with Republicans. "If the Alaska Independence Party at some point taught Governor Palin their secret handshake, there is no record of it," McCain aide Michael Goldfarb wrote on the campaign's website. "Otherwise, the only relevant criterion for membership in a party is registration -- and Palin has never been a member of the AIP.

Intense media scrutiny of Palin since she became McCain's running mate four days ago has led to speculation that the Republican party failed to fully examine her background. In addition to the pregnancy of Palin's 17-year-old unmarried daughter, Bristol, several other disclosures threaten to throw the McCain camp into turmoil.

Palin has promoted her independence from Alaska's powerful senior senator, Ted Stevens, who is facing seven criminal charges in Washington. But she served for two years as a director for one of his political groups that was able to raise unlimited money from corporate patrons.

Palin faced pressure to resign as mayor of Wasilla in 1997 after she fired the city police chief for not fully supporting her agenda, leading to a lawsuit for breach of contract.

In Alaska, Palin faces an ethics investigation into whether she abused her office by firing the public safety commissioner, who refused to intervene in a messy divorce case involving her sister. Palin has hired an attorney to help her handle the case, leading to another round of embarrassing press coverage.

McCain's spokesman, Tucker Eskew, defended the selection: "This legal defence is neither new nor uncommon nor at all political. It is a matter of her job and is not recent and it is not related to her selection on the McCain-Palin ticket."

;)

Guardian

Because of Palin's backing the gas pipeline from the North Slope to Edmonton and then routing through another pipeline for transmission to the US this project will finally be built after 40 years of dithering.

tomahawk6 said:
Because of Palin's backing the gas pipeline from the North Slope to Edmonton and then routing through another pipeline for transmission to the US this project will finally be built after 40 years of dithering.

How does this benefit Canadians? 

stegner said:

An American economy that is more insulated from energy price shocks is a more stable market for 80-85% of Canadian exports, with corresponding positive effects on GDP, income and earnings for Canadians, that's how.

Palins speech was amazing. The perfect blend of rhetoric and common sense, with a few pointed barbs at Obama. A contrast to Obamas speech which was all rhetoric and no common sense. McCain just might have made the perfect choice as a running mate. :warstory:

I know it's early, but one can hope can't I.

stegner said:

In a word JOBS. There is probably another upside to a transCanada pipeline that as Canadian exploration in the arctic continues it would be more practical getting the gas to market by linking to the TCP. Just a thought.
This project was hung up by cost and the low price of natural gas. One plan was to build the pipeline alongside the oil pipeline which would require it to be shipped by tanker. The other plan was the TransCanadian pipeline one argument against it was the fear that Canada could shut the pipeline off. This plan was also the most costly. I am glad that the state is spending some of its oil wealth to bring gas to market which should be a great return on their investment and I think it helps to bring our two countries together.

Think Hillary fans won't swing to Palin?

This is pretty interesting: http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=26179

muskrat89 said:
Think Hillary fans won't swing to Palin?

This is pretty interesting: http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=26179

I wonder how it will actually translate, but it sure is a hopeful sign....nice to see..

McCain just did an excellent speach (for McCain)....should improve their numbers...

I just caught the last 2/3 of Senator McCain's speech at the RNC.  I was impressed;  I thought he came across as experienced, sincere..humble; and I was (somewhat) surprised that he even went as far to say that the way the Republican's do business needs to change.  Distancing himself from GWB...atleast in the sense of 'how business is currently done'.  I am anything but a political expert, but I liked him.  I guess its average voters like me that make a difference though.

From what I've watched of the 2 candidates to date...I'd give my vote to him.  The 3 upcoming debates should be interesting.

Until last night I feared thought the election would be an Obama coronation.

Tonight, I was telephoned by the widow of a order of Canada recipient and prominent journalist.  She was vexed.  She wanted me to know that Sarah Palin didn't write her own speech.  She has been an Obama fan for years.

I don't care. As an introduction last night was amazing.  I laughed and cried  etc......
In particular, the point at which she introduced her sons.- both service men.

Now, I know the republicans are on the right track.   ;D

Back