• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Presidential election may be up for grabs

The problem that I see with Obama/Biden is that it may be too far to the left for a majority of voters which is why Obama tends to avoid specifics.He shows disturbing non-democratic outlook. A recent effective McCain ad attacking Obama's ties to close friend and former terrorist Bill Ayers caused his campaign to send a letetr to the Dept of Justice asking for the maker/financial backers to be arrested.Yet George Soros on the left has financed similar ads on behalf of democrats.

tomahawk6 said:
The problem that I see with Obama/Biden is that it may be too far to the left for a majority of voters ...

Agreed. So long as some crises (Russia/Caucuses, sub-prime mortgages, Afghanistan/Iraq) continue to simmer away Americans are likely to want to trim their sails. Obama is perceived to be big on change, new things, experimentations and so on - that may not be what Americans want.

McCain appears to offer a return to more familiar, stable policies - not necessarily George W Bush's policies but ones which Americans think they had under Bush Sr. and Clinton. That may be a very attractive offering.

McCain makes decision on a running mate?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080828/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_veepstakes

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 28 minutes ago

DENVER - Republican presidential candidate John McCain decided on a running mate early Thursday, and one top prospect, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, abruptly canceled numerous public appearances.

The Arizona senator will appear with his No. 2 at an Ohio rally on Friday, aides said, though they provided no details on McCain's pick.

Without explanation, Pawlenty called off an Associated Press interview at the last minute, as well as other media interviews in Denver, site of the Democratic National Convention.

Others believed to be in contention for the No. 2 slot on the GOP ticket included former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who was meeting with donors throughout California, and Democrat-turned-independent Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, who was vacationing on New York's Long Island.

Former Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Ridge, too, was still a possibility, as was the idea that McCain would choose a dark horse from any number of names that have circulated.

Fueling speculation that McCain would choose either Pawlenty or Romney or another conservative Republican, two GOP officials said they believed McCain had picked a traditional candidate. They based their conclusion on the fact that the campaign, which once had put the party on notice to prepare for the possibility of an unconventional candidate, does not have preparations in place to curb the fallout from a right flank that certainly would revolt if Ridge, an abortion-rights backer, or Lieberman, a former Democrat, was on the ticket.

If he knew McCain's decision, Pawlenty gave nothing away when he arrived back at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday. "This is Senator McCain's decision and his announcement and we all want to be respectful of his desire to have the chance to announce it himself," Pawlenty told KSTP-TV.

In front of Pawlenty's private home in Eagan, a southern St. Paul suburb, more than two dozen people — including a man wearing a Barack Obama T-shirt — mingled and watched the number of satellite TV trucks grow. A pair of media helicopters flew above, but it appeared no one was home.

At the governor's mansion in St. Paul, eight to 10 journalists were on stakeout. Two young girls walked out briefly, then went back into the mansion, which is protected by iron gates. Pawlenty has two young daughters.

McCain, for his part, was uncharacteristically silent.

As he and his wife, Cindy, boarded a plane in Phoenix bound for Dayton, Ohio, reporters shouted a barrage of questions at the senator about whether he'd made up his mind. McCain wasn't biting. He flashed a double thumbs-up and boarded the plane.

Earlier, he played coy.

In an interview aired Thursday morning, McCain said he still hadn't made up his mind. Far from quieting speculation, this only fueled it as he sought to siphon attention from Democrat Barack Obama's acceptance of the presidential nomination in Denver.

He told KDKA NewsRadio in Pittsburgh in an interview taped Wednesday: "I haven't decided yet so I can't tell you."

McCain, who spoke with the radio station from his home in Arizona, told people late Wednesday that he wasn't going to make a final decision until after he talked with his wife. She has been in the country of Georgia this week and returned sometime at nightfall.

With both the eventual pick and the effort to keep buzz alive beforehand, McCain's campaign hopes curb any uptick in polling that Obama might get from his convention and to create momentum heading into the gathering of GOP delegates for McCain next week in St. Paul, Minn.

Pawlenty, in Denver earlier to criticize Democrats on McCain's behalf, canceled without explanation an afternoon roundtable interview with the AP as well as other media interviews. Questioned about the vice presidential selection earlier, Pawlenty would only say that he is to be in Minnesota on Friday for the state fair.

Romney, who had played the GOP attack-dog role earlier in the week at the Democratic convention, left his beachfront San Diego home Thursday morning with an overnight bag. His son, Matt, said Romney was headed to an unspecified location in the state. Asked about being vice president, the elder Romney said: "I don't have anything for you right now."

Ridge was at his suburban Washington, D.C., home. Asked by an AP photographer as he took out the trash if he had any travel plans for the day, Ridge smiled and said he didn't.

One Lieberman aide said there has been no indication he is the choice. For instance, no staff have been called to join him at his vacation site.

For months, McCain's vice presidential search process has been kept closely held by a small group of his advisers. But details have been trickling out this week.

This includes word from two Republicans that McCain met with his senior advisers in Arizona on Wednesday to discuss the pick, conflicting information about whether or not he had settled on a choice, and the campaign's announcement it would air a one-evening-only TV ad in battleground states around when Obama will be giving his prime-time acceptance speech.

Turns out the ad has nothing to do with the vice presidential choice, bearing only a simple message for Barack Obama: "Job well done."

____

Associated Press writers Glen Johnson in Boston, Mike Glover in Phoenix, and Andrew Miga and photographer Scott Applewhite in Washington contributed to this story.

I think its going to be Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. By the way her son is serving in the Army and McCain's is serving in the Marines. Both are around the same age - 19ish.

Joe Biden's son has served in Iraq.  He is a captain in the Army National Guard. 

McCain picks Gov. Palin
http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/08/29/mccain-vp.html
McCain to name female Alaska governor as VP pick: reports

Hoping to steal some thunder from Barack Obama's Democratic nomination, Republican presidential hopeful John McCain will announce Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate on Friday, according to U.S. media reports.

The Associated Press, Fox News and CNN reported sources within the campaign as confirming Palin will be on the Republican ticket.

Palin would become only the second female vice-presidential candidate from a major party in U.S. history, the first being Democrat Geraldine Ferraro in 1984.

McCain, who has told reporters he has already made his decision, kept his pick a closely guarded secret hours before the announcement at a rally in Dayton, Ohio.

As top prospects seemed to drop away, speculation moved toward Palin, the first-term governor of Alaska whose name had come up in the weeks leading up to the Republican National Convention in Minneapolis on Monday.

The Obama camp has been campaigning aggressively in Alaska in an attempt to break the traditional Republican hold on the state in the November election.

Self-styled 'hockey mom'
The buzz over a female candidate entering the vice-presidential fray comes just days after former Democratic hopeful Hillary Clinton, who was left off the Democratic ticket in favour of Joe Biden, released her delegates to her former rival at the party's convention.

A Republican strategist close to the McCain campaign said Friday that all indications pointed to Palin, 44, a self-styled "hockey mom" and political reformer who took office in 2006.

The Idaho-born Palin is younger than Obama and, like McCain, she calls herself a maverick. Several media outlets reported Palin and her family were flown late Thursday from Anchorage to an airport in Middletown, Ohio, not far from the Dayton rally.

The strategist spoke on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized by the McCain camp to speak for the campaign.

There was no confirmation from McCain or his advisers.

Pawlenty won't be at Dayton rally
Another frequently mentioned contender, Tim Pawlenty, was reportedly told Friday morning he was not McCain's choice, the Associated Press reported.

For his part, the Minnesota governor appeared to take himself out of the running, saying on his weekly call-in radio show that it would be "a fair assumption" that he will not be McCain's running mate.

"I'm not going to be there. I plan to be at the state fair. You can draw your conclusion from that," Pawlenty said in Minneapolis.

Meanwhile, associates close to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney were saying the same thing, telling the AP that the former presidential candidate had not been offered the job by McCain.

Other mentioned names include:

Tom Ridge, the former governor of Pennsylvania.
Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, a former Democrat vice-presidential candidate-turned-Independent.
Former congressman Rob Portman of Ohio.

Is it just me or does she have no experience?  This makes it harder for McCain to go after Obama for having no experience.  It also raises questions about McCain's decision-making capacity.  This is the person he picks to be one heart beat away from the Presidency.  Given that McCain turns 72 today and is not in the best health-this decision is a bit discomforting-though not to the enemies of the West.  I imagine the Axis of Evil is having a kegger right now in celebration of McCain's choice.  This decision may not be the best for Canada's arctic  sovereignty assertions.  Gee I wonder what an Alaskan ex-Governor as VP would think about the border, which the U.S already asserts is fungible. 

Too funny Stegner,she has more executive experience than the three guys in this race.McCain,Obama and Biden have zero executive experience. She has been a mayor,a member of the State Ethics Commission and she was the chair of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission.By the way she has been Governor for 2 years.

Indeed the city of Wasilla, Alaska (population 8,4751) gives incredible executive experience ;D  Let's face it-she is not qualified to be VP, let alone P.  Her executive experience is basically zero.  You also forgot that she was the 1984 runner-up to Miss Alaska!  But surely her good looks has nothing to with her appointment. ;)

stegner said:
... Let's face it-she is not qualified to be VP, let alone P.   Her executive experience is basically zero...

A short time state governor is, surely, about as well qualified as a short time US senator. If Obama is qualified to be president then so is Palin: she appears to be a naive born American, over 21 and able to breathe on her own.

There are, now, two reasonably balanced tickets: McCain/Palin bring a mix of compelling personal narratives, experience and youthful hope, foreign/defence policy street cred and some, albeit limited, executive experience. Obama/Biden also bring compelling personal narratives, a mix of experience and youthful hope and considerable street cred in social policy and foreign/defence policy fields.

stegner said:
... she was the 1984 runner-up to Miss Alaska!  But surely her good looks has nothing to with her appointment. ;)

And that sure doesn’t hurt ‘cause this is the 21st century and TV/Internet video are the main campaign tools. She appears, thus far, to be telegenic and, unlke McCain, comfortable on TV.

But, I think the important things she brings to McCain’s campaign include, but are not limited to:

• Appeal to the religious right – she is much, much more socially conservative than is McCain. The religious right won the last two (quite close) elections for George W Bush but, to date, anyway, they have been cool to McCain; if Palin can ignite them then she may just win the election for the GOP;

• Appeal to the gun crowd – the NRA doesn’t like McCain. Palin is a NRA darling;

• Appeal to the reformers – McCain has tried to sell himself as a maverick reformer, but he’s been in Washington for soooo loooong. Palin has god, recent reformer and maverick credentials;

• Appeal to women – women have traditionally favoured the Democrats, and Obama, despite beating and then snubbing Hillary, appeals to women. Palin will, at least, keep Republican women onside and maybe bring a few Democrat and Independent women over, too; and

• Appeal to real fiscal and small government conservatives – many of whom are Independents.

My guess is that the McCain/Palin campaign is, right now, feeding both McCain and Palin with fire hoses:

• Economic and social policy for McCain; and

• Foreign and defence policy for Palin.

On balance I think Palin is a good choice – she nicely counters several of McCain’s real weaknesses.

Some commentators have been saying that the ’experience’ factor was not working, at least not very well, for McCain. Every time someone raises experience one need only mention Harry Truman – he was totally unready to be president but he did an admirable job; he grew nto the job very, very quickly.

Anyway, she is the nominee and the GOP will have to get the best they can from her, but this is a presidential campaign and the VP candidates are side shows. McCain needs to run on his own personal narrative as a trustworthy, loyal, maverick hero. He has to convince enough Americans that now, in strategically and economically perilous times, he has the better mix of attributes and that his weaknesses are less dangerous than Obama’s.

She does command the Alaska National Guard and she likes the military, unlike Obama and Biden. She is a life member of the NRA which helps secure the 2d Amendment folks - unlike Obama and Biden.She has experience dealing with the oil companies and is conversant about energy policy. If McCain becomes President she will have the inside track for replacing McCain.What better place to get experience on a national level than as VP ?

tomahawk6 said:
She does command the Alaska National Guard and she likes the military, unlike Obama and Biden.

Here you go again painting the US Democrats as extremely anti-military. I guess Obama just went to that other convention for Veterans of Foreign Wars recently cause he felt like it. ::) And I suppose both retired Generals Shalikashvilli and Wesley Clarke both support the Dems because they hate the US military. And US Democratic Senator- a former SECNAV who has a son in the USMC in Iraq, IIRC- James Webb also helped author the new GI bill since he hates the US military. Yup- it all fits.

Well Cougar you are extrapolating. I didnt say all democrats - just Obama and Biden. They are the party of defeat in the US. The democrats have a history of underfunding the military so it is safe to say they are soft on national defense. Sort of like a certain Canadian party. If you notice leftists no matter the country underfund their military.I have served both democrat Presidents Carter and Clinton as well as Republican Presidents Nixon,Ford,Reagan and both Bush's so I think I have some experience in this regard Cougar. As for Shali and Clark they seem to support the democrat's defense policies which is their right just as it is my right to disagree.I might add just for the record Clark was fired as SACEUR by Clinton.

Tomahawk.  Carter served in the U.S Navy for seven years and was a good pretty naval officer, as he got to into the nuclear sub fleet when it was still a fairly new thing.  Carter also started the arms buildup that Reagan continued.

It's fascinating to me that spending your whole life in a country, and much of your adult life in their military garners no weight when it comes to discussing that country's politics on a message board with some people who can make neither of those claims.

Really.

Carter did no such thing as President. We had a hollow force which the Reagan buildup had to overcome.

Back