• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Power/Stationary/Operating Engineer

dangles

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has some inside information about this job? I live in Ontario and I'm doing a combined honours degree in history and philosophy, but honestly my choice to become a police officer/teacher before I joined school has kind of fell through. I was looking at other things I could do and one was a 1 year certificate for Power Engineering at a very reputed college near where I live.
I heard the job pays well, but I have only heard the payscales for a 4th and 3rd class ticket. I am just wondering what it will advance to in a 2nd and 1st class ticket, and what different responsibilities come with those tickets. I have the general idea of what a 4th class ticket holder will do, but I have heard little as to what a 1st or 2nd, even a 3rd will do.
Also, I am wondering if my degree could help me someday in a management position, or if it is pretty much useless in the trade.

I understand this may not be the best forum for my information, but any help will do.
Thank you.

dangles said:
I heard the job pays well, but I have only heard the payscales for a 4th and 3rd class ticket. I am just wondering what it will advance to in a 2nd and 1st class ticket, and what different responsibilities come with those tickets. I have the general idea of what a 4th class ticket holder will do, but I have heard little as to what a 1st or 2nd, even a 3rd will do.

Wages for Stationary, Operating, Marine, Steam and Hoisting Engineers ( see page 243 ) January 1, 2009 – December 31, 2011:
http://local416.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/70780-1_Toronto_CivicEmployees_02a.pdf

January 1, 2012 0%
January 1, 2013 1.5% Lump Sum, 0.5% added to base
January 1, 2014 1.75% added to base
January 1, 2015 2.25% added to base

Paid 40 hours per week.

Plus overtime, shift premium, statutory holiday premium etc.

That is all explained in the Collective Agreement.

City of Toronto
Stationary Engineer 4th Class

Major Responsibilities:

Assists in the operation of steam generators at plant facilities or assists in the operation and maintenance of pressure boilers
Utilizes a variety of equipment/devices and is responsible for their maintenance
Assists in overhauling boilers during the summer
Assists in conducting boiler water tests and in charging the boiler water chemical system
Assists in the operation of sewage gas compressors and hot water heating systems for building and processes
May be required to perform routine running maintenance and minor repairs on the steam system and other equipment
May be required to perform shop cleaning duties
Travels to various work locations
Performs other related work as assigned

Key Qualifications:

Must possess and be able to maintain a current Certificate of Qualification as a Stationary Engineer, fourth class or better, in accordance with the regulations enforced in the Province of Ontario and/or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Must have a sound knowledge of safety practices for high pressure steam and air.
Knowledge of sewage treatment processes and of routine running maintenance.
Must possess knowledge of the operation of centrifugal pumps, waste heat boilers and coil tube boilers.
A general knowledge of boiler water treatment equipment and chemical compounds as well as routine boiler water tests.
Must be familiar with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to this work.
Must be available to work shifts. Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
Possess and be able to maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and must qualify for the City’s equipment operating permits and requirements.
Good knowledge of WHMIS and the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
Familiarity with occupational hazards and relevant safety requirements.

dangles said:
I live in Ontario and I'm doing a combined honours degree in history and philosophy, <snip>

Also, I am wondering if my degree could help me someday in a management position, or if it is pretty much useless in the trade.

See for yourself.

These are the Key Qualifications for a Supervisor of Facilities Operations:

( The Major Responsibilities were too many to list. But, none were relevant to history or philosophy. )

Must have considerable experience working with Mechanical/ Electrical systems with a focus on operating large critical UPS and Emergency Generator systems.
Demonstrated experience in supervising unionized cleaning, maintenance/trades staff both in-house and contracted.
Demonstrated experience in developing and managing operating and project based budgets.
Must possess technical qualifications as well as a range of core strengths in communications, leadership, labour relations, teamwork, JOHSC and customer service.
Working knowledge of building operational policies and various related acts/codes/standards including the Electrical code, Plumbing code, Fire code, Building code and TSSA.
Experience in applying all safety and health procedures with particular emphasis on building related electrical/mechanical equipment.
Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, coach and develop building maintenance/custodial teams.
Thorough knowledge of various mechanical/electrical, HVAC and BAS systems.
Able to plan and organize work with minimum direction.
Highly developed interpersonal, conflict resolution, problem solving and communication skills.
Working knowledge of SAP Financial System, GroupWise and Microsoft Office Applications.
Ability to create briefing notes and other documetns as required for effective communication.
Ability to develop and implement preventative maintenance plans.
Ability to work in a team based environment.
Past evidence of ability to act as a mentor/facilitator/teacher/coach.
Proven experience with preventative maintenance systems and personal computers.
Trade licenses or diploma pertinent to the job function combined with relevant supervisory experience and or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations, the collective agreements and related labour legislation.
Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.

mariomike said:

Thank you very much for the response. If anything perhaps maybe my degree will put my foot in the door over someone else. Any other help will be appreciated as I must make some pretty big decisions in the coming months.

dangles said:
Any other help will be appreciated as I must make some pretty big decisions in the coming months.

You may wish to consider this,

"Firefighter Communications":
http://www.brainhunter.com/frontoffice/seekerViewJobDetailAction.do?sitecode=pl389&jobId=1744437&page=search

Posting Date 31-Aug-2012

Closing Date 14-Sep-2012

The key word is "Firefighter".

Firefighters can transfer between Divisions: Operations, Communications, Fire Prevention, Quartermanster and Mechanical.

See Article 46 of the Local 3888 Collective Agreement: "TRANSFERS BETWEEN DIVISIONS".

TFS Communications and T-EMS Communications are both under the same roof at Emergency Services HQ.

This is another good job. Clean, inside work, with no heavy lifting and a thermostat on the wall:
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/careers/dispatch-opportunities.html

Both jobs are always well represented on the annual "Sunshine List".

mariomike said:
You may wish to consider this,

"Firefighter Communications":
http://www.brainhunter.com/frontoffice/seekerViewJobDetailAction.do?sitecode=pl389&jobId=1744437&page=search

Posting Date 31-Aug-2012

Closing Date 14-Sep-2012

The key word is "Firefighter".

Firefighters can transfer between Divisions: Operations, Communications, Fire Prevention, Quartermanster and Mechanical.

See Article 46 of the Local 3888 Collective Agreement: "TRANSFERS BETWEEN DIVISIONS".

TFS Communications and T-EMS Communications are both under the same roof at Emergency Services HQ.

This is another good job. Clean, inside work, with no heavy lifting and a thermostat on the wall:
http://www.torontoems.ca/main-site/careers/dispatch-opportunities.html

Both jobs are always well represented on the annual "Sunshine List".

Yeah I would have to look into those, I am not sure they are exactly what I would want to do for the rest of my life as on face value it seems like there is little room for advancement. Thanks again though.

dangles said:
<snip> it seems like there is little room for advancement.

Firefighter Communications > Captain > District Chief > Deputy Chief > Chief.

Emergency Medical Dispatcher ( EMD ) > Supervisor > Commander > Deputy Chief > Chief.

I was in the same union ( Local 416 ) as the Stationary ( Marine, Steam, Operating etc ) Engineers for over 36 years.

They made less money and had less room for advancement than Firefighters or EMD's.

Back