• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Portrait of a Canadian soldier

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
An excellent story in the Ottawa Sun, April 6, about a 43 year-old British immigrant (ex-RN) preparing to serve in Afstan as a reserve engineer private. And congratulations to The Brick for being truly a brick.
http://www.ottawasun.com/News/Columnists/McRae_Earl/2006/04/06/1522015.html

Mark
Ottawa

OK that's all fine and good but isn't his service number restricted or something.

CFL said:
OK that's all fine and good but isn't his service number restricted or something.

Protected A

One night, we had five inspections about 40 minutes apart

40 minutes....wow...so much time  ;)

All in all though, kudos to him about employer's who don't give time off for training. I left a great job to go do my QL3's in 2005, and I've never looked back. It's nice to have an understanding employer, though.

It mentions that he'll be going over to combat in Kandahar. Are Res Engineers doing combat missions? And is that a CornFlake...or a Campaign Star?  :boring:

Sort yourselves out and save the bashing for your pokeman club folks,

Good on him, and The Brick,

We finally get a some good press, and what do we do, pick the guy apart and hack the story to bits.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Sort yourselves out and save the bashing for your pokeman club folks,

Good on him, and The Brick,

We finally get a some good press, and what do we do, pick the guy apart and hack the story to bits.

dileas

tess

I agree don't hack on him.  If you have even been quoted in the press the words often look/sound different in print than they did coming out of your mouth.

William Webb Ellis said:
I agree don't hack on him.  If you have even been quoted in the press the words often look/sound different in print than they did coming out of your mouth.

Yup, good on him.  I'm with William, I've done several interviews with the press...some accurate, and others...well... ::)  Short of actually writing the piece for the reporter, you have to pretty well take what they write and hope it comes out decently.  The best way, I've found, is to let the reporter know you'd like to chat a little first, then start on their pre-programmed line of questioning, that way they can pick up on things and get a better idea of how to write the final piece.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Cheers,
Duey

Duey said:
.....Short of actually writing the piece for the reporter, you have to pretty well take what they write and hope it comes out decently.  .........  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

And even then, you can't forget that the Editor may chop the article up so that it no longer resembles what the Reporter's original 'feeling' and/or text may have been, so that it will fit a specific space on a page.

You'll notice this sometimes when you go to Canoe and see the same article, by the same author, in the different papers of the Chain.  Sometimes one paper will seem to give a different slant to a story than another, even though it was the same Reporter writting it, just by the way an Editor cut it to fit a page of newsprint.

Just to correct people, your service number is not restricted or protected.  Thats why its a service number, to allow yourself to be identified without giving away protected information.  Thats why it is on your service identity card. Thats why its on your dogtags. Thats why they are allowed to make recruits sew it onto the back of their underwear (hmmm...do they still do that?).  Thats why when 'captured' its one of the items of information you are supposed to tell 'the enemy' (from cold war days; nowadays the 'enemy' doesnt care about your service number, they want to know how long you have been spying for the CIA).  It's just not normal to give such information to the press, so it is highly likely that it was coordinated by the PA office.  

Back