• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to hand it to our jet setting prime minster;he just doesn't give a shit.

He comes up with this whole ethics and conflict of interest thing then constantly **cks it off like no one's business.

There's the whole lying about discussing political matters at $1500  up to $4500 a seat parties and now this.

Trudeau took Aga Khan's private helicopter to island vacation.

PM says he doesn't see an issue but 'we look forward to discussing' it with ethics commissioner
http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-aga-khan-helicopter-1.3932827

He's likes a pretty honey badger.

I read else where he took 10 vacations in his first year of office,  that's pretty sweet.  Even if it's only half accurate and he only took 5 good for him and his family.  They deserve a break from their grueling schedule. 

Jarnhamar said:
You have to hand it to our jet setting prime minster;he just doesn't give a shit.

He comes up with this whole ethics and conflict of interest thing then constantly **cks it off like no one's business.

There's the whole lying about discussing political matters at $1500  up to $4500 a seat parties and now this.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/trudeau-aga-khan-helicopter-1.3932827

He's likes a pretty honey badger.

I read else where he took 10 vacations in his first year of office,  that's pretty sweet.  Even if it's only half accurate and he only took 5 good for him and his family.  They deserve a break from their grueling schedule.

He did take 10 vacations....But....Talking about the Ethics Commissionaire......She is also in a Conflict of Interest.....She was investigating Trudeau, and he extended her tenure another six months........Hmmmmmm?  Are we near the seashore?

From the Fraser Institute:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Trudeau gets a lesson on energy poverty by Ontario resident
— January 13, 2017

In a video now circulating around the Internet, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau gets an earful from a distressed Ontarian over the insane cost of electricity in the province.

Holding a hydro bill of more than $1,000 in her shaking hands, and explaining that her power bill is now more than her mortgage, the disabled grandmother tearfully relates the hardships of living in energy poverty. Hot summer days without power, having to work 75 hours a week just to pay her bills, and living on instant oatmeal and Campbell’s soup. The story is simply heartbreaking, and the applause of others at the town hall meeting shows she’s not the only one feeling the pain of Ontario’s power fiasco.

Indeed, as of 2013 (most recent data available), 7.5 per cent of households in Ontario meet the definition of energy poverty. A household enters into energy poverty when it spends more than 10 per cent of household expenditures on energy used within the home (electricity, natural gas, etc.). If you put gasoline into the mix, then 19.2 per cent of households fit the definition of energy poverty.

Given the hardships many Ontarians face, Prime Minister Trudeau’s response was deeply, deeply unsatisfying. First, he threw not one, but two of his own party’s premiers under the bus, attributing most of the problem to provincial policies. Chief among those policies is the Green Energy Act (GEA), introduced first by former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty, and carried on by current Premier Kathleen Wynne. The results of the GEA—higher electricity prices, paying to export energy to the U.S. at a loss, etc.—have been disastrous for Ontario families and businesses. It’s a shame that the prime minister could not even recognize some of these consequences, particularly given that fact the Premier Wynne has even begun to do so.

But what was more deeply disturbing was that the prime minister showed absolutely no willingness to flex on his plan to bring in a national price floor for carbon that will rise by $10.00 per year starting in 2018, hitting $50.00/tonne of carbon by 2022. His response to having that tax challenged directly was a sermon on the need to stop using fossil fuels, which one presumes includes Alberta’s oilsands and British Columbia’s natural gas.

Perhaps the most ridiculous element of his answer was his observation that the federal government will leave the administration of the new carbon price floor to the provinces—in this case, the very same government that has shown gross ineptitude and outright negligence in managing its energy systems, and this according to its own auditor general!

It’s time for governments across the country to start recognizing that their “green dreams” have serious consequences for ordinary Canadians. If they don’t, Canada will find itself moving upward in the standings of a group it wants no part of—developed countries with high rates of energy poverty.

Author: Kenneth P. Green

More on LINK.

I hope Trudeau does more of these town hall things before the 2019 election...

ballz said:
I hope Trudeau does more of these town hall things before the 2019 election...

Guessing that some folks are organizing more vacations.....

Now THIS is surprising - considering the source:

LeDrew is a lawyer, broadcaster and former party president whose job it was to tell Prime Minister Jean Chretien that it was his time to leave office

He was as loyal a pitbull as the Liberals had.

ledrew_400x400.jpg

Everyone knows that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s reconnect tour is his effort to show Canadians that he is not just a privileged Canadian, but also is capable of understanding what the average citizen is thinking.

But more importantly, it is also designed to change the channel from a disastrous cash-for-access program that defies all rules and common sense (which the PM still will not abandon), and from an elite private island-in-the-sun fiasco, replete with private helicopters and a retinue of friends.

It is clear, after more than a week of hard work by some terrific reporters to get the details, why the Prime Minister’s Office tried to keep this trip a secret — the Christmas holiday was at the private island of someone to whom the PM gave $50 million of taxpayers’ money to last year alone.

It does not matter that Aga Khan Foundation Canada does terrific work — or that the Aga Khan is a revered man whom Trudeau has known his whole life.

It just looks really bad — and does not pass the smell test — and it brings the reputation of both the PM AND the Aga Khan into disrepute. It should not have occurred, and did not need to occur.

In a well-functioning PMO, someone should have had the good sense to tell Trudeau just so — before the trip. Every elected official needs someone to give him or her the unvarnished truth.

In this case, the president of the Liberal party could have passed along the views of the rank-and-file of the membership — except she was also on this trip! Anna Gainey should have seen it coming.

Is there no one who has the good sense to tell the PM what works, what is defensible, what flies (or more importantly, what shouldn’t be flying? ), or is the arrogance of Trudeau’s Ottawa so pervasive that it is above the law, the rules, and above what most Canadians call “common sense”?

If the first explanation is the case, there is still time to fix it — get someone in there who does not suck up, or is at least not bowled over by the Majesty of the First Selfie.

If the second explanation is the reason for these stupendously inane mistakes, suck it up Canadians, only a few more years.

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/01/14/wheres-the-common-sense-in-the-pmo

I can't find a single passage to highlight - because every word hits the mark.

If Trudeau can't carry LeDrew I sense trouble.

In a well morally properly-functioning PMO, someone should have had the good sense to tell Trudeau just so — before the trip. Every elected official needs someone to give him or her the unvarnished truth.

One could posit that PM JT's Office (the PMO) was never intent on doing anything other than facilitating the PM's (and Butts' and Telford's) will.

It has become a sad reality that everything a high ranking politician does is now put under a microscope and criticized in every aspect. The PM visited a family friend, without incurring cost to the taxpayer, and he is taken to task for it. This age of needing to know every little detail of what is happening is why nothing ever gets done any more, because individuals always have to evaluate every step they make to ensure it passes some fictional sniff test. What if the trip was more than just a holiday? What if he was meeting to bring some sort of behind the scenes peace agreement to fruition? Or working on a beneficial trade agreement? Contrary to popular belief, I think there is still a place for behind closed doors talks.

captloadie said:
What if he was meeting to bring some sort of behind the scenes peace agreement to fruition? Or working on a beneficial trade agreement?
Do you honestly believe either of those things were happening... or are you just tired of people picking on Justin Kardashian?

captloadie said:
It has become a sad reality that everything a high ranking politician does is now put under a microscope and criticized in every aspect. The PM visited a family friend, without incurring cost to the taxpayer, and he is taken to task for it. This age of needing to know every little detail of what is happening is why nothing ever gets done any more, because individuals always have to evaluate every step they make to ensure it passes some fictional sniff test. What if the trip was more than just a holiday? What if he was meeting to bring some sort of behind the scenes peace agreement to fruition? Or working on a beneficial trade agreement? Contrary to popular belief, I think there is still a place for behind closed doors talks.

Well, there is the small matter of the Law. You know- the conflict of interest legislation. Which categorical states that no minister shall accept a ride on a privately owned aircraft. Which, if the Liberals were unhappy with, it was well within their ability to rescind, in their first year in office.

But, since they were too busy doing other things, well, it sucks to be Justin Trudeau.

captloadie said:

I actually agree with the first part of your statement.  However, the fact that the PMO kept this a secret and in all likelihood knew that the helicopter issue would be a problem and chose to ignore that they should have consulted with the Integrity commissioner is the problem.  Regardless of his intentions.  Now I am willing to  accept that maybe the Pm wasn't aware and the PMO decided to do whatever with the expectation of better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.  But...

Many people gave the last PM a really hard time in regards to the actions of his staff in the PMO and held him ultimately responsible.  I was one of them back then and I'm one of them now.  The rules were broken by HIS office and he has to accept some responsibility for it.  the optics are very bad and they know it.

No, I don't think any of that was happening. But I also don't think he was working to better the position of the Aga Khan or his organization. I think he was lazing around on the beach and enjoying the sun and the sand. Ack the breach of the legislation, but the PM has few options to travel, (he should have used a private charter to make the trip or taken a Challenger and "ruined" the aircrews Christmas ;))

And to be clear, I don't think JT is the best thing since sliced bread. I also don't see the need to vilify him just because he is the head of the LPC.

Good2Golf said:
One could posit that PM JT's Office (the PMO) was never intent on doing anything other than facilitating the PM's (and Butts' and Telford's) will.
:nod: - like all PMO's past & future.
Remius said:
Many people gave the last PM a really hard time in regards to the actions of his staff in the PMO and held him ultimately responsible
That's a reasonable place for the buck to stop, no matter what colour the team jersey is.

You know, someone at the office pointed out that the British PM flies commercial on British Airways.  He pondered why the hell if it is good enough and safe enough for the British PM to fly commercial then why couldn't the Sun King or any of his successors do the same on Air Canada.  It would damn well give him a taste of what the rest of us endure and let him get closer to those he rules over.

There is more than the helicopter ride at issue.

There is also the "small" matter of accepting hospitality of any kind from a registered lobbyist. Can anyone honestly tell me that your island getaway for free and free helicopter ride is below the acceptable gift level you can accept from a lobbyist? And can anyone tell me that no business/politics occurred? Really: You visit with an MP of your party who is not a close friend and with the president of your party! $1500 buys you an hour or so to bend the ear of the PM - how much time did the Aga Khan have to bend his ear over the course of a week? Oh! I forgot: Trudeau will listen, but not talk business himself, except to advance his agenda for the middle class.

Personally, I have no  sympathy for  the Trudeau's personal friendship with the Aga Khan. Trudeau wilfully decided to become PM of Canada - no one forced the job on him. He has to accept the limitations that come with the job, and one of those limitations is that you have to park your friendships at the door while you are in the job if those friends are lobbyists or get money from the government. And you have to make sure you are completely removed from any decision involving these friends. Interestingly enough, member of he government are supposed to disclose these potentially problematic friendships, confidentially of course, to the office of the Ethics Commissioner and Justin admitted to NOT having done that, allegedly to 'protect" the private life of his friends.

Finally, considering Trudeau himself decided to recruit Chrystia Freedland because he admired her thesis in "Plutocrats, the Rise of the New Global Super Rich" describing the 0.1% and how they jet around the world, above everybody else in every sense, how stupid (sorry no other possible word here) is he to think that a trip like this would not squarely put him in the plutocrats camp in the public eye? I think it was only exceeded in stupidity by his belief that he could actually not tell anyone and it would not be discovered in today's 24 hours a day news world. 

/RANT OFF

jollyjacktar said:
It would damn well give him a taste of what the rest of us endure and let him get closer to those he rules over.
Only if he flew steerage coach - and what are the odds of ANY PM flying in the back if that were to happen?

Also, when discussing the need for special transportation for the PM, let's not forget all those arguments about 1)  PM's/officials'  needing to be in secure touch with folks even while enroute, and 2)  it's not that much more expensive than keeping them on the ground or flying empty, as highlighted in great detail here.

captloadie said:
I also don't see the need to vilify him just because he is the head of the LPC.
I, personally, am not vilifying him just  because he's the head of the LPC;  I truly want him to 'do good,' for the good of my country.  No, the negative comments that he draws upon himself are because he repeatedly shows that he is legislatively weak, ethically corrupt, and out of touch with the majority of Canadians who care about more than his hair.

In this one particular debacle -- the Aga Khan vacation (aka - annual vacation #10) -- I'll take a line from the blog of friend and supporter of this site, Ted Campbell:
That’s it in a nutshell: Team Trudeau knew that the prime minister was going to break his own conflict of interest rules but they didn’t care because he’s “entitled;” they decided to try the dishonest course of action: keeping it a secret.

captloadie said:
No, I don't think any of that was happening. But I also don't think he was working to better the position of the Aga Khan or his organization...

Quite simply, "it doesn't matter." 

The concept of "not only do right, but be seen to do right" is not new. 

The Law is not new.

The PM and his close advisors know the 'perception is reality' mantra and whether intentional or not, the actions both of the PM and his family during the visit, and those of he and/or his staff to keep information about activities that, whether ever in a court of law or not, are seen to the common citizen to contravene the Conflict of Interest Act (Ref: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-36.65/FullText.html.

Travel

12. No minister of the Crown, minister of state or parliamentary secretary, no member of his or her family and no ministerial adviser or ministerial staff shall accept travel on non-commercial chartered or private aircraft for any purpose unless required in his or her capacity as a public office holder or in exceptional circumstances or with the prior approval of the Commissioner.

In my mind, without asking the Commissioner, what would constitute an 'exceptional circumstance'?  If there had been a medical emergency at the Aga Khan's residence, the use of his private helicopter to take the PM or one of his family members to medical facilities beyond the Aga Khan's island would qualify.  Sight seeing around the island to get a bird's eye view of the Aga Khan's opulent abode would not, in my opinion.

Did the PM's RCMP protection detail have the opportunity to survey the Aga Khan's helicopter to ensure that it was safe and had not been tampered with prior to flying Canada's Head of Government?  It goes beyond giving a long-standing family friend an overhead view of an impressive residence.

:2c:

Regards
G2G

jollyjacktar said:
You know, someone at the office pointed out that the British PM flies commercial on British Airways.  He pondered why the hell if it is good enough and safe enough for the British PM to fly commercial then why couldn't the Sun King or any of his successors do the same on Air Canada.  It would damn well give him a taste of what the rest of us endure and let him get closer to those he rules over.

I'm pretty sure that just happened once, several years ago.  nice gesture but it apparently caused a whole series of logistical and security issues.

Imagine being on that flight.  Delays, extra screening etc.  No thanks.

Remius said:
Imagine being on that flight.  Delays, extra screening etc.  No thanks.
....but maybe.....just maybe.... Air Canada might schedule one or two of their less-miserable Flight Attendants (if they have any) for that flight.

/silver lining dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back