• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blair Gilmore said:
I'm not a particular fan of Trudeau's government but doing away with prohibition of a common plant is long overdue. The anti-drug warriors are fighting a losing battle and are firmly entrenched after a century of propaganda, alarmist hyperbole and political obstinance. Also, I believe Kellie Leitch's stand against the weed will hurt her chances of becoming the Conservative leader.

In honour of 420, for your reading pleasure, here are my full thoughts on the matter of marijuana and prohibition:

http://www.happydiver.space/?p=380
The plant aspect is completely irrelevant. Lots of plants are dangerous but I do think the money and effort spent of policing marijuana use is a waste. I don't believe it is as harmless as the pro pot movement believes but it is definitely no worse than alcohol which most of the population is capable of using in a responsible manner.

I have some issues with the legislation itself such as the fact that it seems to want to be tough on drugs while at the same time legalizing one. I would have preferred to simply make it legal for anyone over the age of 19 to purchase and revisit it in 5 years to study the effects and consequences.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

In provincial news:  Ontario Liberals announcing pilot for basic guaranteed income.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/wynne-announcement-hamilton-1.4082476

Lovely.  I suppose if your Province is flush with money this could be a good thing but given the enormous debt load and effed up policies on all fronts what could go wrong?

One thing I can already see causing problems is child support payments and childcare benefits as well.

Pure electioneering on their part.  And people will fall for it.

I don't care about the pot issue, about the same danger as alcohol and cigarettes, I find it ironic that we are legalizing pot, while criminalizing smoking....

I suspect pot growers will rue the day everything legal, because then they enter into the hell that is municipal bylaws and hear "Oh your washroom is .5m to close to your food prep area and has to be moved"  [lol: 

Colin P said:
... I suspect pot growers will rue the day everything legal, because then they enter into the hell that is municipal bylaws and hear "Oh your washroom is .5m to close to your food prep area and has to be moved"  [lol: 
It's all fun and games until "the rules" kick in  :nod:
PPCLI Guy said:
Shocking!
dapaterson said:
It's only outrageous when the other side does it.
ones-never-right.jpg

Remius said:
In provincial news:  Ontario Liberals announcing pilot for basic guaranteed income.

If it works as well as energy pricing did, I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I wonder when the "Blame Harper" BS will stop?

And speaking of "alternative facts"; what about this:

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Opinion / Columnists
Furey: Trudeau tells world media alternative facts about Canada’s 'headscarf bans'

By Anthony Furey, Postmedia Network
First posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 12:01 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 02:03 PM EDT

Once again, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has misrepresented Canadian policy on the world stage.

In the cover story of the most recent issue of Bloomberg Businessweek, Trudeau claims the former Conservative government advocated “headscarf bans”. It’s simply not true.

The PM tells the influential American magazine that in the last election he “was up against a government than ran on snitch lines against Muslims and headscarf bans and a fear-filled narrative that Canadians chose to reject”.

It’s a sloppy take that completely mischaracterizes the former government’s election platform and sends a false message about Canadian politics to the world.

No major political party in Canada has ever proposed a headscarf ban. The closest thing would be Quebec’s failed charter of values, which would have banned the wearing of "conspicuous" religious symbols by public servants in the province. This would have applied to all religions.

Perhaps Trudeau was referring to how back in 2011 the Conservative government did enact a ban on full face veils for the brief one-time occasion when a woman delivers her citizenship oath. A court decision then forced them to defend this law at a time that coincided with the last election.

But this is nowhere near the same thing as banning mere headscarves. A number of countries in the Middle East and Europe have legislated some version of a ban on the more radical niqab or burqa, but no country has banned the commonplace hijab headscarf.

If that is what Trudeau was getting at, he misspoke big time.

Likewise the comment about “snitch lines against Muslims”. The PM is clearly talking about the controversial barbaric practices tip line from the previous election. But to call it a line exclusively against Muslims is only half the story. Regardless of your views on it, there’s no denying it was also intended as a line for Muslims, such as girls who were worried about being victims of honour-based violence.

Canadian readers of the magazine who followed the last election in depth will have the background to read between Trudeau’s gaffes and suss out what he likely means. The majority of the magazine’s international readership will not.

They will think Canadian politicians are advocating broad bans on the hijab and encouraging people to call the cops whenever they spot a regular Muslim person just walking down the street. These are troubling misconceptions to plant in people's minds. (And the magazine at no point fact checked Trudeau’s errors.)

It’s natural for Trudeau to cast his political opponents in a negative light. This crosses the line though. Trudeau talks a big game about unity. Yet all these antics do is divide.

The silver lining is the PM appears to be walking back his #WelcomeToCanada remarks from earlier this year, which wrongly conveyed the message that we have some sort of open borders policy.

When Bloomberg asked Trudeau about being a “champion of immigration” he said: “there are a lot of things that need to be done internationally to allow people to return home rather than just say the solution is to welcome in everyone. Canada can’t take in 60 million people, obviously.”

Good to hear. Maybe the next time he graces the cover of a foreign magazine, he can also take a moment to correct the record about our non-existent headscarf ban.

More on LINK.

Seems to be a lot of "Alternate News/Facts" coming out of this Government lately. 

Charles Moore in today's Telegraph says it all for me.

Why I am a Tory: "Being unintellectual – even, on occasions, plain stupid – the Conservatives don’t carry that dreadful weight of needing to prove you are doctrinally correct which bedevils life on the Left. They find it easier to confront reality."  Now if only the Canadian party could come to the same understanding.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/not-theresa-may-great-party-keeps-renewing/

No one has ever fully explained the most persistent phenomenon in European democratic political history – the success of the Conservative Party. Its very name implies it is behind the times. To some, it reeks of the few, not the many. Yet in the century in which the many have been allowed to vote at all, they have chosen a wholly or predominantly Conservative government two thirds of the time. Friday’s local election results confirm the general view that they will do so again on June 8. In the world crisis of the elites, only the Tories have managed to change sides and stay on top at the same time.

Why? Although I have no neat answer, I suggest it is partly because the Conservatives have fewer prejudices than their rivals. This sounds a weird thing to say – the Tories are always supposed to be more racist, sexist, stuffy etc than the others. Indeed, their present leader once warned them against becoming the “nasty party”. Yet it is, in practice, true.

Being unintellectual – even, on occasions, plain stupid – the Conservatives don’t carry that dreadful weight of needing to prove you are doctrinally correct which bedevils life on the Left. They find it easier to confront reality. In February 1975, their overwhelmingly male, old-soldier-dominated parliamentary gang, fed up with two election defeats, chose a woman to be their leader. They cast aside their prejudices because they thought she was “a brave girl”. She went on to win the next three general elections.

To this day, by contrast, the Labour Party has not chosen a woman leader. Its attitude to women is infected by doctrine: it seeks the unattainable, perfect feminist, rather than the best person to run the country.

Last year, the Tories did it again. The world gasped at the chaos which ensued when David Cameron lost the EU referendum which he himself had called. After a sharp tussle of betrayal and assassination, however, the Conservatives picked, without a contest, a woman from the losing side. Within days, order was restored. Untroubled by the logical thought-processes which afflict rationalists in politics, the Tories had felt their way to the solution.

Now Theresa May is seeking an electoral mandate, and her enemies lie prostrate before her.

Nobody thinks of Mrs May as a flexible sort of person, but she has won herself an astonishing degree of freedom. She supports free trade, yet is scooping up protectionist votes. She herself voted Remain, but is now so well trusted by most Leave voters that she has swallowed Ukip whole. She is the Oxford-educated wife of a prosperous City man, yet she has become the scourge of the boss class. She sits for plush Maidenhead, but, as Friday’s results show, is going down big in the West Midlands and the east end of Glasgow. Her planned election trips do not concentrate on leafy heartlands, but include raids on enemy territory such as Manchester and Leicester. She has convinced people that she is decent and straightforward, yet boasts about being “a bloody difficult woman”.

Her main opponents are much more prejudiced than she. They fall into three groups. (Until Friday’s results, I might have mentioned four, but the poor Liberal Democrats seem to have relegated themselves.)

The first are the out-and-out Remainers, who probably constitute about half of those who voted Remain last year. They are such prisoners of their European prejudices that they have become professionally pessimistic. In their house journals, such as the Financial Times, they grasp at every straw of evidence that the economy is doomed. They can be presented – often unfairly – as people who just don’t like their country very much. In different ways, Tony Blair and George Osborne are both trying to become their spokesmen. Mrs May easily can place them on the wrong side of history.

Next comes Jeremy Corbyn. His prejudices are magnificently impervious to evidence, and were already perfectly formed before he entered Parliament a third of a century ago. His dream of Britain as Castro’s Cuba or Chavez’s Venezuela will never die, but it will never win either. Mrs May needs him just where he is.

Last comes Jean-Claude Juncker. I argued last year that he was a massive plus for the Leave campaign, but it never occurred to me how much this gift would go on giving.

Mr Juncker’s prejudices lead him to believe that for the European Union to win, everyone else must lose. This makes dealing with him unpleasant, but also simple. At that famous dinner with Mrs May last week, she said she wanted Brexit to be a success. He replied: “Brexit cannot be a success.”

Faced with such hostility, what can she do but fight, and how can most British voters avoid siding with her? When Mrs May emerged from Downing Street on Wednesday to denounce Mr Juncker’s “threats”, one feared she might be going over the top. But she is right that “there are some in Brussels who do not want these talks to succeed”. It is as well to say so now, using the plain English language which, Mr Juncker announced on Friday, is “losing importance” in Europe. Insulted by people like him, voters instinctively gravitate to the Prime Minister, even those who wish we hadn’t voted Leave in the first place.

All of the above make it almost freakishly easy for Mrs May’s campaign team to craft her message. Sir Lynton Crosby, who is in charge of the concepts, is never happier than when a clear and sombre choice presents itself, hence “strong and stable leadership”, ad nauseam. If I were a Tory candidate, I would find it hard to obey the strict orders not to indulge in the party’s habitual vice of complacency.

But there is a caution to be entered here. Mrs May has been shown the focus groups. They all say that she is more popular than her party. Therefore, she is advised, she must campaign as Theresa May, not as its leader. In her counter-attack against Mr Juncker, she used the word “me” five times. She ended by inviting voters to “give me your backing to lead Britain”. At no point did she use the word “Conservative”.

Prime Minister Theresa May accuses EU officials of trying to influence election
00:29
All great party leaders reach out beyond their party. The two previous successful leaders of the past 50 years – Margaret Thatcher and David Cameron – did that notably. But all depend upon their party too, and once they forget that fact, things start to go wrong. Claim all the credit, and you will get all the blame.

By “party”, I do not mean just activists, constituency associations and parliamentary colleagues, but that whole wider, looser, deeper structure of culture, history, class, money, media and (yes, even among Conservatives) ideas from which Conservative success somehow emerges.

So far, Mrs May’s public performance has been an impressive example of her party’s strange capacity for renewal which I describe above. In private, though, there are already too many who feel unthanked and too few who are working out the future. What Mrs May calls the “overriding task” of Brexit is concealing the lack of thought about what sort of country we want to be when we leave. If she thinks this election is all about “me”, she is riding for a fall – though not, probably, on June 8.

The Tories have been riding with a loose rein for a long, long while.  In the modern era their success could arguably be said as originating with the time Disraeli beat Gladstone to the punch and gave the vote to the working man - causing poor old Gladstone to go apoplectic and seek out more prostitutes to save.

As to Moore's advice to Theresa:  she should listen.  Maggie wasn't safe.  Nor John Major.  Nor many others before and after.  But that will be after the election and probably after 2019.

For anyone who watches Question Period in the House of Commons, this is very appropriate:

18404074_1276155252433476_7521579607815711650_o.jpg

If one wanted to look like an idiot, not answering a simple question eighteen times in a row, is the way to go.

Rona Ambrose leaving Federal politics.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rona-ambrose-conservative-mp-1.4116233

Interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose is leaving federal politics, CBC News has confirmed.

The Edmonton MP will make the announcement Tuesday in Ottawa, sources tell CBC News. Ambrose informed the Conservative Party of her decision on Friday. The news was first reported Monday by iPolitics.

Conservatives are to pick their new leader at a convention on May 27 and Ambrose is expected to stay on as interim leader until then.

She will step down as MP after the spring sitting of Parliament ends in June, sources who spoke to CBC News on condition of anonymity said.

More to come

Scott said:
Rona Ambrose leaving Federal politics.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/rona-ambrose-conservative-mp-1.4116233

I wish her well.  I thought she would have made an excellent Prime Minister.

This is a big loss. She would have been a strong team member and right-hand woman for whoever leads the party. All Canadians owe her a thank you for the job she has done as interim leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

Rocky Mountains said:
Great news!  Perhaps she'll be replaced by a conservative.

In general Canadians don't want anyone to far to the right or the left, the voting public is a bit like a drunk staggering down the road attempting to follow the centreline, they may veer a bit right and bit left, but have no desire to fall into the ditch on either side. Except for BC.......

It's quite possible we see a NDP-Green coalition government, at least for a short time, that will energize them at the federal level no doubt.

Colin P said:
In general Canadians don't want anyone to far to the right or the left, the voting public is a bit like a drunk staggering down the road attempting to follow the centreline, they may veer a bit right and bit left, but have no desire to fall into the ditch on either side. Except for BC.......

It's quite possible we see a NDP-Green coalition government, at least for a short time, that will energize them at the federal level no doubt.

Mayhap it is time for Alberta to secure the Yellowhead. 

then you be like Afghanistan, no ports and surrounded by hostile neighbours, but you can call yourself "Albertstan"  ;D 

I grew up in Alberta.

At what point does a significant enough portion of the Alberta electorate decide that they are done being Confederation's whipping boy for every environmental ill in Canada and decide that they have more in common with Montana and North Dakota than they do with BC or Ontario?

This is not a "science fiction" type question. There is anger smouldering in Alberta. It would not take very much to ignite that anger into something Ottawa would have a great deal of difficulty quelling.

Colin P said:
then you be like Afghanistan, no ports and surrounded by hostile neighbours, but you can call yourself "Albertstan"  ;D

I'm afraid you misapprehend me.  [:D

Yellowhead_route.png

Which direction to Danzig?  [:p

Well, as usual SKT, Quebec has already done all the work for everyone else: If Alberta wants to leave, the Supreme Court has traced the process and the Clarity Act of Mr. Dion has set the stage for defining what the federal government considers sufficient proof of intent before starting negotiation ... Oh! and all other provinces have a say in Alberta's departure - after all, all the other provinces claimed so high and loud when it was Quebec who threatened to leave.  ;D ;D ;D

On a more serious note, I think the anger in Alberta now has a lot more to do with the low price of oil on the international market causing the industry to shut down left right and centre than Alberta being the "environmental whipping boy"  of every ill in Canada. First of all, every single province and the central government are the "whipping boys" of the environmental movements in Canada and have been for a long time and second, if Alberta thinks that would disappear if they joined with Montana and the Dakotas, they obviously are unaware of the power of environmental movements and the regulation of the EPA in place there - they could be in for a rude awakening.

Remember, just because the US did not sign on certain international environmental agreements doesn't mean they have been idle. They in fact have probably done more on the environment front than Canada has, even under past Liberal governments, while claiming (in Canada's case) loudly to be in favour of the Agreements we wilfully signed.

Just sayin' pardner.

:cowboy:

OGBD

What you ain't getting is that industry is shutting down left and right in part because of low prices - but the prices aren't that low historically speaking - but because the Federal Government has stated categorically that their intention is to shut down the industry.  The time line doesn't matter.  There is no future.  It is pulling out because the local government has put a limit on development.  Their is no future.  It is pulling out because "our fellow Canadians" won't allow us to ship our product to market, either east or west.  And in the east "our fellow Canadians" would rather buy our competitors' products.

And to top it all off, they still want us to send cash.

(Stopping to breathe before I say something I will regret.)

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back