• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
milnews.ca said:
If Team Blue didn't do the bit in yellow with a majority, Team Red's far less likely to.

Team Blue did that.  The problem is that they took it all back.

The Liberals are doing whatever they can to appease Trump.  Getting to the 20% equipment expenditure with ~$1.5B per is a small price to pay for our trading relationship.

George Wallace said:
Where are your emojis?  Eh?

Oh yeah. Forgot that. If you post in Radio Chatter, or, apparently, with emojis, then you don't really mean what you really mean. Ri-ight?

Scott said:
Oh yeah. Forgot that. If you post in Radio Chatter, or, apparently, with emojis, then you don't really mean what you really mean. Ri-ight?

So, "You're an asshole" is insulting, while "You're an asshole  :p" is funny.

Got it.

The reason why this Canadian is proud to be British.

JS121327955_Barcroft-Media_Boris-Johnson-Seen-Jogging-Around-St-James-Park-England_1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.jpg

Forget Margaret Thatcher’s shoulder pads or Theresa May’s svelte dresses. Our Foreign Secretary offers a salutary lesson in power-dressing: act like you really, really do not care. On this score, Boris Johnson’s creative powers know no bounds. Artfully clad for jogging this week in a clinging polo shirt, squashed beany hat and baggy red boxer shorts straight out of a Carry On film, the foreign secretary has achieved a je-ne-sais-quoi that fashion experts can spend years pursuing. Move over, Sam Cam.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/02/22/toppling-statues-slave-traders-doesnt-redeem-britains-history/

Can't see any of your poncy Euro types going out for a run like that, now can you?  I like Boris.  [:D

jmt18325 said:
Team Blue did that.
Jog my memory, then - do you have a link showing how long Canada reached 2% GDP in defence spending during Team Blue's tenure?  World Bank says different ...
Chris Pook said:
Can't see any of your poncy Euro types going out for a run like that, now can you?  I like Boris.  [:D
BoJo certainly continues to be unique!
Scott said:
#PlausibleDeniability  >:D

milnews.ca said:
Jog my memory, then - do you have a link showing how long Canada reached 2% GDP in defence spending during Team Blue's tenure?  World Bank says different ...BoJo certainly continues to be unique!#PlausibleDeniability  >:D
They did throw a few billion our way during the Afghanistan years but we gave a lot of it back because we can't spend it. We peaked about 2009 at about 1.5. That data is telling because it has us right around 1990s levels and we had a lot of pretty new stuff in the 1990s. We still have most of the same ships and aircraft as we did back then.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

milnews.ca said:
Jog my memory, then - do you have a link showing how long Canada reached 2% GDP in defence spending during Team Blue's tenure? 

I didn't claim that. 

You are right about the ships, tcm621, but it follows the standard pattern for the fleet since the inception of the IROQUOIS class, and believe it or not, if (and that is a big IF) the first SCSC does hit the water in 2020 as currently planned, the situation will not have gotten as bad as it had been by the time the HALIFAX's hit the fleet.

I have traced in the past, for my own purpose, the average age of the fleet major combat units (frigates and destroyers) year by year.

If we look at that average age in every four year blocks to shorten the list, starting in 1972 just before the IROQUOIS come into service, it looks like this:

Year:          Average Age:

1972            13 yrs
1976            13 1/2 yrs  (effect of the 4 IRO replacing the most aged (or damaged in one case) STL)
1980            18 yrs
1984            22 yrs
1988            26 yrs
1992            28 yrs (effect of the retirement of the 2 oldest STL so their crew can train up for HAL)
1996            13 yrs (HAL's mostly on line, but IRO's now 24 yrs old)
2000            12 yrs (all HAL's in the mix)
2004            16 yrs
2008            18 yrs (effect of the first IRO retirement)
2012            22 yrs
2016            23 yrs (effect of the next two IRO retirements)
2020            25 yrs (only the HAL's are left - this would be the status at receipt of first SCSC)

Assuming thereafter one SCSC in 2020, then 2 SCSC per year for seven years, with HAL's decommissioning one for one, the projection for the next two time periods would be:

2024            13 yrs
2028            4 1/2 yrs

You then start increasing the average by 4 yrs for each 4 year period, until new ships are brought in.

All this to say that, if we do start getting the new combatants by 2020 as promised, then the situation will not become as bad as it was at the beginning of the 90's, though getting close. Second point, since destroyers/frigates have a useful life of between 25 and 30 yrs, actually maintaining a fleet with an average age floating between 12 and 16 yrs, instead of playing yo-yo as we do, would be ideal. It would mean that the first SCSC replacement would have to start hitting the water in 2044, with a one unit per year build thereafter for 15 yrs, etc. etc. Or that you start earlier, say 2032, but with a new build every second year thereafter.

Shite like this makes it tough to be a conservative...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/residential-school-system-well-intentioned-conservative-senator-1.4015115

Halifax Tar said:
Shite like this makes it tough to be a conservative...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/residential-school-system-well-intentioned-conservative-senator-1.4015115

The entire residential school system is a tragic mistake started by people who thought that they were solving the indian question. Were they racist? No doubt if you use today's standards, but back then it was a SOP.
One thing that has bothered me from the start regarding residential school abuse is that was everyone involved? Did every single teacher and administrator rape each and every child in their care? I find that hard to believe, but then what do I know, I'm an older WASPish male.

Now I'm sure corporal punishment was pretty liberally used throughout the system because it was used pretty liberally on me during the years I went to school (66-79). Getting the strap, the yardstick rapped over your knuckles, thrown against the lockers, cuffed to the back of the head, yelled at, belittled for not knowing things, sent to the corner, etc etc happened to me and my classmates (99% of the time it was the boys) on a pretty regular basis. And I went to school during the "Liberal" Sixties!

Residential Schools:

Eton
Harrow
Winchester
Rugby
Upper Canada College
Trinity College School
Lakefield

Chris Pook said:
Residential Schools:

Eton
Harrow
Winchester
Rugby
Upper Canada College
Trinity College School
Lakefield

Imagine the amount of rape, physical and mental abuse that went on in those places. Difference is that the parents of those boys had a choice. The indigenous parents didn't have much of the choice.

And the public school parents paid for the privilege and probably experienced it themselves too.

FSTO said:
Imagine the amount of rape, physical and mental abuse that went on in those places. Difference is that the parents of those boys had a choice. The indigenous parents didn't have much of the choice.

Agreed across the board.  But the state was acting in loco parentis.  It still sees fit so to act.

FSTO said:
The entire residential school system is a tragic mistake started by people who thought that they were solving the indian question. Were they racist? No doubt if you use today's standards, but back then it was a SOP.
One thing that has bothered me from the start regarding residential school abuse is that was everyone involved? Did every single teacher and administrator rape each and every child in their care? I find that hard to believe, but then what do I know, I'm an older WASPish male.

Now I'm sure corporal punishment was pretty liberally used throughout the system because it was used pretty liberally on me during the years I went to school (66-79). Getting the strap, the yardstick rapped over your knuckles, thrown against the lockers, cuffed to the back of the head, yelled at, belittled for not knowing things, sent to the corner, etc etc happened to me and my classmates (99% of the time it was the boys) on a pretty regular basis. And I went to school during the "Liberal" Sixties!

I am sure not all the people involved with those programs were as evil as has been reported, but it was a terrible thing to do to a culture either way.  And for a conservative senator to stand up in a public forum and say what she did shows just how out of touch some of my fellow conservatives really are.  And these people, if not muzzled, will continue to push us off into obscurity and irrelevance.

FSTO said:
Imagine the amount of rape, physical and mental abuse that went on in those places. Difference is that the parents of those boys had a choice. The indigenous parents didn't have much of the any choice.
:nod:
Chris Pook said:
Agreed across the board.  But the state was acting in loco parentis.  It still sees fit so to act.
For better, and worse -- then, and now.

Funny thing is said senator comes from a part of the world where she'd more than likely run into more than one or two First Nation folk on a regular basis.  :facepalm:

Meanwhile, "The Conservative Party of Canada is distancing itself from remarks made this week by a Conservative senator who said negative reports of what happened at Canada’s Indian residential schools have overshadowed all of the “good things” that happened in the institutions ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back