• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Issued Weapons, Training and Equipment

Slim said:
records the time, date and length of zap given by the weapon every time it's used.

Well so much for the fun recreational usages  ;)

where i live now, i am back in small town 1 hour west of ottawa. no names metioned but before the OPP took over the policing duties here, there were unloaded guns on duty. there was a police chief back to the early 80s who did not think the officers required bullets to be officers, I remember as a kid asking to have a tour of the police station and the officer showe dme around, even gave me his gun to look at, never checked it to see if it was loaded.  just handed it to me. they were carrying 38s back then. Officer only got bullets to pass the yearly range day.
very sad I think

FormerHorseGuard said:
, there were unloaded guns on duty. there was a police chief back to the early 80s who did not think the officers required bullets to be officers, I remember as a kid asking to have a tour of the police station and the officer showe dme around, even gave me his gun to look at, never checked it to see if it was loaded.   just handed it to me.

To be honset with you I'm having quite a hard time believing that statment.

Slim
STAFF

purple peguin said:
The police here in halifax use sigarms. 9mil. (parents are both in the lawenforcement)
Ive actually seen a couple of officers have holstered Remingtons in the front of their cars... I didnt know what to think of that when i first saw it here in Halifax(Being the ripe old age of 12 at the time)

that statement is true it is on public record for one of the many reasons they switched over to the OPP, the lack of fire arms training during that  chiefs time,next cheif died of cancer on the job before he could make changes,  next chief  told the officers buy what  you want the department will pay  you back thru over time they had to buy  9mm .  the local police service here had many  problems, mostly  due to various police chiefs wanting things that  the town would not pay for.

last i heard it was illegal for a police officer to have non issue bullets while on duty.  so they did not carry  any. I live in a town till the mid 80s we had very little in the way  of violent crimes, now a murder every year or so  ( at least 4 in the last 5 years) and things have changed.
Local police service has been replaced by  OPP , mostly younger officers,  they have bullets while on duty and side arms issused by the OPP no more buying your own weapons.

does any one here remember the rodney king riot in Toronto, it was 91 or 92 i think. anyways i was down town and stuck on younge street because of the police control lines, i could not get to the subway station to get back to the base.  i waited in  golden griddle near the old gardens at the time.  i decided it was okay  to walk from there to non riot zone and there was those gun stores on younge street, some one had smashed the window on one of them, think it was the army  surplus store and gun shop.  as i was walking by it there was a metro cop with a pump action 12 guage standing in the door, price tag was still on the trigger guard , he was standing guard at the store  prevent looting. that  image to this day as stuck to me. reminds  me of the LA Poilice and the major shoot out they had with a couple of bank robbers who had full body armour, heavy weapons,  the local patrol officers ended up borrowing fire power from a local gun store to help control the shoot out. the swat teams were on the other side of the city tied up with another tasking. the robbers came out shooting and did not stop shooting even after many  hits from the side arms the officers had, then one of the swat teams showed up and hit them many  more times tilll one took his own life and the other one died on the street from many  hits.

LA Police were getting surplus M16s / AR  15s from the US army  for on patrol duties for specially trained officers, they  were replacing the shot guns in some cars, think the patrol sgts were getting them.

when I lived in Iowa for 5 years my  neighbour was the county's chief deputy, the highest non elected lawman in the county. He was armed with a 40 cal, s&w , his off duty  weapon was  380 s&w , his trunk weapon  that never saw daylight other then on clean patrol car days, was brown pump action 12, never loaded, he said it was worn out and no money  to replace it.  it always was tossed on the grass when he was cleaning his patrol car. 

The local cop ( one man police force ) the chief carried a 9mm browning,  on his nights off the part timers if not the neigbour carried various weapons.  357 mag,  was one part timers weapon of choice, the oldder part timer till he died in a traffic accident carried the same 38 for 25 years.  he hit a light pole in front of my  ex wife's shop and died from injuries in the accident while driving a city pick up . he was never one to stop at a stop sign. have badge what  stop sign.

Only in Iowa have i ever heard of part time police officers. they had full time jobs and at night they were police officers for who ever needed fill in help. the former neighbour worked for at least 3 towns on his days off as required and the county  during the day time.  The mayor was also authorized to carry  a badge and a gun. very strange for me the canadian seeing all this. rental cops, mayors with guns and badges. ( the local mayor was a person friend, he never carried the badge or the gun  because it would cost him too much to go out and pass the range test every year )

that statement is true it is on public record

If its on public record I would like to seea link to it or some other type of veriiable source material please.

Slim
STAFF

FormerHorseGuard said:
the town is renfrew and it was stated at the police services hearing.

Can you provide a weblink to the meeting minutes? Or some other verifiable for m of proof?

A little credability goes a long way here...

Slim
STAFF

there are no links to any meetings or such, you had to be there as a reporter or member of public, or a member of local government. as for the officer handing me his duty  weapon as child i think i was 12 or so, at the police station. I do remember that, he did not clear the weapon, or anything  just took it out of his holster and handed it to me. it was the first time I ever held a real hand gun.  had there been bullets in it, i would think he would of cleared it, and unloaded it.  I know other officers when they  were showing their weapons they always cleared them first.  I have friends on the OPP and they  use to come around the house to chat, when they made the switch over to the automatics from the 38s they would show off the new handgun. they  always made the effort to unload it, take clip out and then hand it over for show and tell.

FormerHorseGuard said:
there are no links to any meetings or such, you had to be there as a reporter or member of public, or a member of local government.
If there were reporters there then i can virtually guarantee that somewhere there is a link to this issue.

as for the officer handing me his duty   weapon as child i think i was 12 or so, at the police station. I do remember that, he did not clear the weapon, or anything   just took it out of his holster and handed it to me. it was the first time I ever held a real hand gun.  

So you've just told us that this is basically conjecture on your part. You were 12 at the time and had never held a real firearm before, and would not have known how to check and see if there were rounds in it. For all you know the officer may have just been very watchfull of you holding the weapon...

had there been bullets in it, i would think he would of cleared it, and unloaded it.   I know other officers when they   were showing their weapons they always cleared them first.   I have friends on the OPP and they   use to come around the house to chat, when they made the switch over to the automatics from the 38s they would show off the new handgun. they   always made the effort to unload it, take clip out and then hand it over for show and tell.

The revolver, with the transfer bar, was probably much safer (to them at least) than this new foreign machine that fired so many bullets at once. The older cops would only know single action autos, which were not really all that safe to begin with unless you really knew what you were doing! (the BHP and origional single action Colt .45 come to mind)

I'm not riping this apart to be mean but to illustraillustrated for accuracy when making statments...All of it is unprovable conjecture and you ask us to "take your word for it" as the gospel. Not good enough.

In the future please be more accurate and if you can't verify something then don't post it.

Slim
STAFF

Whether loaded or not I find it very scary a police officer would not check his weapon for the sake of safe and good weapons handling

i said it was the first real hand gun i handled, not the first real fire arm i held. I held a few fire arms before. I will try and find a copy  of the news reporters stories from those meetings or see if  i can find actual minutes from the meetings. the local paper does not have anything online that I know of, other the name of the newspaper. I will check and see what i can find. till then I will not say  another word on the no bullet issue.

i cannot remember if i was 12 or 11, so i figured 12 was close enough,( it was over 20 years ago for me) I was at the police station lots as a kid, they were friendly and i wanted to be a police officer.  they shared donuts with the kids in the park outiside the office. I wanted to be a police officer so i was always asking questions to see the badges, the guns, ride in the cop car,  ( never got that  till older hitch hiking home from base Petawawa was picked by  an OPP officer)  still wanted to be a cop till i was found to be colour blind.

thinking back now i do find it odd that he did not clear his weapon or prove it was not loaded.  anyways that  part I knowfor sure I was there.
. I grew up around a large collection of fire arms. my father was a sportting gun using, shotguns and rifles, my  grandfather retired army  officer colelcted military firearms, swords and bayonets.  so i knew about firearm safety. anyway last post on this matter for me. till i find something to back up the no bullet issue here. Happy now

Back