• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Issued Weapons, Training and Equipment

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Just curious what the civillian law enforcement types are carrying in Canada and if there is a web site that might mention issued sidearms.

Ex-D, I know a few OPP officers in the Sarnia area. To my knowledge they carry .40 S&W's, I'm not sure exactly which model though.

Corrections......just our inntelagense.

You might find out stuff through these links here.[I have never looked, actually]
http://www.blueline.ca/advertising/bluelinks/

Glocks my friends, at least that's what the local cops have in thier holsters here. Shotguns in the trunk of the car if thier "Certified" for it...

RCMP - Smith and Wesson 5946 9mm
OPP  - Sig P229 .40S&W
CPS and EPS - Glock 22 .40S&W
VPD - Glock 22 and Berretta 92-F (ERT but was being phased out)
Ottawa Carleton - Glock 22

etc.  You will find the Glock the most prevelant Police Pistol in Canada

Most departments are going away form rh 12ga Remington 870 Shotgun and replacing them with Diemcao C8 LE Carbines

I know that Toronto has the Glock .40 Cal...and a three stage holster that is so difficult to get a gun out of you almost have to book gunfights ahead of time.

On the other hand, though, the baddies can't get their hands on the T.O. cops guns due to that holster! Maybe nbot such a bad thing...

Slim

Are you sure they are replacing the shotgun with the C8? that seems like a bad idea. I like the shotgun. 8 or 9 rounds downrange with one trigger pull and it takes five minutes to qualify a guy. At 15m or less the entire charge of 00 will be contained by a target the size of a dirtbag's torso. Imagine even well contolled bursts with a C8, you'd have to evacuate half the city because of the risk of overpenetration or just plain missing. I bet only the tac team guys get the army guns. Cops in Saskatoon have Glocks and 870s in the car. The tac team guys have MP5's (almost as good as buckshot, but you have to have some skill).

Correctional Service of Canada:
.38 Cal S&W
9mm Colt AR 15 Carbine
556mm Colt AR 15
Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun

OatmealSavage said:
Are you sure they are replacing the shotgun with the C8? that seems like a bad idea. I like the shotgun. 8 or 9 rounds downrange with one trigger pull and it takes five minutes to qualify a guy. At 15m or less the entire charge of 00 will be contained by a target the size of a dirtbag's torso. Imagine even well contolled bursts with a C8, you'd have to evacuate half the city because of the risk of overpenetration or just plain missing. I bet only the tac team guys get the army guns. Cops in Saskatoon have Glocks and 870s in the car. The tac team guys have MP5's (almost as good as buckshot, but you have to have some skill).

Yes I am sure

The Shotgun is a terrible weapon - the liability of the pattern from the pelets or shot is the deal breaker with the shotgun.  Why woudl you shoot auto with the C8 - 5.56mm in a much more effective round past 10m than 12ga  The RCMP have done extensive testing in regards to penetration and over penetration.  They are available to LE agencies
The C8 carbines for patrol duty are semi only BTW

I get REALLY worried you think shotgun qualification will take 15min - just shooting the gun to get a feel for how it patterns (and they will all be different...) will take an afternoon.

I believe the RCMP recently, (last couple years) procured the Sig 229, as well......  Cops using the Beretta 92 'round here, in Thunder Bay.

Forgeot to mention, it's funny to see that Slim brought up the issue with retenton holsters.  Just goes to show why again the army shouldn't be issued them, my opinion at least.....

Kal said:
Forgot to mention, it's funny to see that Slim brought up the issue with retention holsters.   Just goes to show why again the army shouldn't be issued them, my opinion at least.....

I guaranteethat no criminal (or anyone else) will ever get a gun off a Toronto cop if its in that holster, unless they have time to play with it some.

On the other hand I would want about a month straight to practice having to get it out fast before wearing it on duty. The holster itself is triple-stage retention and very difficult to draw from unless you know EXACTLY how the thing works.

At work I have two holsters. One is a tactical holster (which I'll probably never use except for practice) that was given to me when I was looking at going overseas.

The other is a Safariland single stage leather concealed Glock 17 holster that I like very much and dissapears nicely on my body size. It, too, required some practice and breaking in but now works quite nicely.

Slim

Slim

Thanks for the input.  In the 9mm browning replacement thread, I had expressed that triple retention holsters are a no go for the army.  While they do protect weapon from being taken, it also hinders the officer/soldier from drawing.  As you said, you would like a month straight at least of practice with it before it becomes operational gear for you.  Yes, soldiers are trained how to shoot, but are they taught how to draw?  Also, it's one thing to draw in a stress free environment, but try it when someone is shooting back.....  While in conversation today with a friend of mine, he informed me that some police departments in the U.S. are making it policy that when carrying their firearm, it can't be loaded (not even a amagzine) and safety must be on.  The bad guy usually already has an advantage on you by being able to draw first, so why would you want to waste time inserting a magazine, taking the safety off and cocking your weapon while the 'baddies' are shooting at you.  In the time it takes one to do that, draw, disengage safety, load and engage, I could get off a whole magazine.  Almost like, they trust the officer enough to carry a pistol, but not in employing it.    I even heard the argument to give cops just those new taser pistols....  That makes sense, only guys with guns are the bad guys..................  Got a little off topic, sorry.

Kal said:
While in conversation today with a friend of mine, he informed me that some police departments in the U.S. are making it policy that when carrying their firearm, it can't be loaded (not even a amagzine) and safety must be on.

That's absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to see his proof for that. An on duty cop not allowed to carry a loaded weapon, c'mon. The only cop like that, that I know, of was Barney Fife, Andy Griffon's deputy in Mayberry.

Recceguy

No word of a lie.  I'll call him up this week and ask him the specifics.  Third hand knowledge, but I don't have any doubts not to believe him.....

Well, like you say, you gotta believe your bud, but I don't. Not till I see the bonafide article from which he draws his opinion. I'll be waiting.

Ya, I know the cops here in Winnipeg use Glocks too, they seem to be pretty common.

recceguy said:
That's absolutely ridiculous. I'd like to see his proof for that. An on duty cop not allowed to carry a loaded weapon, c'mon. The only cop like that, that I know, of was Barney Fife, Andy Griffon's deputy in Mayberry.

Ditto that is ridiculous.

BTW Level III retension holster can be very easily accessed -- I know many Cops than can outdraw me using their Safariland (whatever model it is) - and me in a "normal holster".  Like anything it take muscle memory -
The RCMP and most Depts use a Level III holster.
The Level I Thumbstap on the Bianchi can be slower to release than a member with a solid system that knwos what he is doing.

The best argument to get rid of the shotgun happened during the north hollywood bank robbery.   If those officers were issued rifles with penetration power instead of shotguns, the 45mins fire fight would've last a lot less.
Since we're on the issue of police issue weapons, I was wondering what everyone thought about using tasers and stunguns, especially actual police officers.

Back