• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pointing Lasers at Aircraft

Great thing to tell everyone. Better if you would have spoke to them personally about your security concerns, without telling the world.

Well hey they hire Professionals and Experts on terrorism to look after those things I mean it was probably a lot more secure then I thought I mean come on as some members have pointed out I'm a 17 year old what do i know?

A girl in my unit used to work security at pearson, she didnt ever get into the details, but from what i got from her, it is pretty secure.

Also, i heard about that seaking incident a few years back, and i do think that lasing pilots is a possible threat. Hell almost anything that can destroy any thing that they can get they will use.

I_A_N said:
secondly my mum is a hair stylest and she would cut all the US diplomats and Canadian Diplomoats Birts and etc,'s hair in a thing she had in our house we had a few member of the FBI get their hair down at my house .

Not that I am slinging shtye here.......We must remember, only their hairdressers know for sure! Wasn't there a movie once called "Confessions of a Hairdresser" and "Confessions of a Taxi Driver", now maybe a new one "Confessions of a Hairdresser's Son". FBI agents getting their 'hair done' and talking about terrs. Eek!  ::)

I thought I've heard it all. I smell some serious BS here, and fresh and soft too.

Regards,

Wes

LMAO

Right here, http://army.ca/quotes/?string=%22If+I+had+American+supply+lines%2C+British+planes%2C+German+officers+and+Canadian+troops%2C+I+could+take+over+the+world%22&search_attrib=case_sensitive&function=searchQuote

You know I have googled that quote and have asked around. Everyone has heard it but there is no proof Rommel ever said it, at least none that I have seen. Until I actually see a source I believe this quote might have been a WW2 Military Urban Legend.

Well, lasers as a means of attack by Islamic Terrorists really aren't a very likely scenario.  Islamic terrorism aims for horrific mass casualty events that will make big headlines.  Permanently damaging the eyes of a pilot is, in the end, only a nuisance tactic, since unless the laser used is powerful and fortuitously aimed, the plane is not going to crash.  All in all it's a great deal of effort for the terrorists to undertake for either a marginal or unlikely payoff.

By publicising this kind of thing what you're more likely to end up with is a bunch of homegrown American yahoos who decide its fun to take a case of beer and some Radio Shack gear out to the end of the runway and laze incoming planes for a lark.

Thank you T.I.M thats what I've been trying to say but as soon as I mention I don't think terrorists would use them they start accusing me of being some sort of terrorist expert  ??? either way as for that Rommel quote who knows you will never know seems he died of forced suicide on October 14th 1944, further more he did face Canadian troops as he was in charge of the so called Atlantic Wall and he also was in Caen a city which I have been to that was Liberated by Canadian Troops :cdn: :salute:

Doesn't need to necessarily blind the pilot, all it needs to do is distract them enough so that they aren't concentrating 100% on landing, or takeoff for that matter. We nearly had a crash this summer when I was in Debert. Reason? Pilot got a bit distracted for 1 sec and let their attitude drop too far, nearly dove right into the ground. This was at 55mph. Imagine what could happen at triple that speed? Granted the pilots would be vastly more experienced, but it doesn't mean that this isn't a very real threat.

IMHO lasers would not be very usefull to terrorists  at all.

The goal of terrorism isn't simply to kill people in the most efficient way possible. Its goal is to make a political statement. Why shine lasers at pilots to create a catastrophe that could easily be covered up as an accident due to pilot error? Airport security is already controlled so tightly that only a handfull of people would be in on the lie, and it could easily be justified by the complete negation of the terrorist's goals.

Think about it: the attacks on 9/11 didn't do much to hurt the American infrastructure. Bin Ladin's objective was to attack a symbol of what he hated in an elaborate and terrifying way. The goal is to induce fear and coerce the population. Not try and beat the west into submission using conventional methods. It would be far more effective to shoot down an airliner with some sort of rocket, an obvious terrorist weapon.

OMG - Maybe these chaps should listen to Ghostwalk an I_A_N and stop wasting valuable resources.

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.4308111.1089903978.QPadasOa9dUAAESlMZk&modele=jdc_34

Well, for a little perspective, if you read the FBI report, the threat is actually listed as LOW, and the FBI has no indication either that terrorists have got their hands on a military grade laser, or that there is any specific threat concerning laser attacks.  The warning was general, and not at all immediate.

One of the biggest problems with warning dissemination is rumour control, and the media seem to have taken this and cranked the rumour mills up several notches.  The fact is while it's a potential threat, there are lots of things that are potential threats, and as threats go, this one is pretty marginal.  Lasers of all types have become common in the West, and there's any number of reasons for laser hits on planes that don't require vast terrorist conspiracies to explain - the leading one being locals idiots who think it's funny to aim at planes.

Frankly, if the terrorists did get hold of a first-rate military grade laser blinder they'd be much better off to put it to work knocking out Coalition optics on the battlefield in Iraq or Arghanistan than trying to smuggle it (these things are portable yes, but not that small) into the US for the dubious chance that they might crash a plane with it.

And if you asked someone 4 years ago how likely it would be that 2 airliners would be flown into the World Trade Center, knocking both buildings down, I highly doubt it would be given much more than a low threat warning.

The point is, we know they've been used in the past, Air Force aircrew have protective measures in place to prevent it, thus it is a threat, that's what we've been arguing all along. I never said it was highly likely, I simply said that it's a threat that we're concerned with at this point, from an operators perspective.

Actually, the events of 11/09/01 have probably got quite a few more people thinking outside the box as to potential risks. One of the problems is that the quantity of potential threats has risen, as they aren't being eliminated in their infancy. The added problem is when these theories and possibilities are made public. They can cause concern where there should be none, and they can even plant ideas in the heads of potential terrorists.

I'm not sure if UBL or any of his cronies read Tom Clancy, who thought about the potential damage and effect of using an airliner as a missile some time before it really happened. Because of that no stone is being left unturned.

Acorn

HAHA lasers whats next Osama is actauly living in the white house using his Invisible suit   ??? I'm starting to belive from the lack of common sence some of you would belive that on here ;) :salute:

Inch is the only military pilot I can find in this thread. I'm a civi one but that doesn't really count.

As I said though, this is a serious threat. Once more, we had a Major brief us on this sort of thing. They had him brief 50 teens from 16-18 years old. WE were warned to stay away from using something as low powered as a laser pointer since even something like that could damage your vision enough in a fairly short time to invalidate you medical. No medical, no flying. I have a feeling that this is pretty serious business.

Does not matter what you fly, it shows the danger that lasers have for any pilots, those that believe otherwise are just morons.

Whats this medical have to do with a terrorist threat a chrashin a plan? Im failing to see relevance here...

Back