• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Playbook with issued BB

Ralph

Inactive
Reaction score
Anybody around unlucky enough to have an issued Blackberry try syncing it with a Playbook? I tried reading the documentation on the DWAN but fell asleep reading the title...from what I understand, it's allowable as long as passwords are used and you don't use it as a personal tablet? I get a lot of attached spreadsheets and pdfs and they're almost impossible to read on the BB alone. It seems worth shelling out my own money. Barely.
Jimmy power, activate!

Your best bet is to call your ISSO for the rules as read, not your interpretation of the rules.

There is absolutely nothing I can find authorizing personnel to use a BlackBerry Playbook with a GoC issued BlackBerry.  I would be extremely doubtful that even if it were allowed, that you would be permitted to use a personally owned Playbook - it would go against just about every security policy there is in the CF/DND.

As well,  your personal Playbook could become property of DND if you were too synch it.  Same as if you plugged in a personal memory stick into a DWAN computer.  Also with all the restrictions on the BB the user can't do too much aside from what ASG allowed.

Like Tango18A said,  talk to your ISSO,  but from what I know about the different policys in the CF regarding this stuff,  the answer would be no.

A Playbook does not synch with a BlackBerry phone. You would use the BlackBerry Bridge feature to view the information on the playbook screen, but the info will not reside on the Playbook. The bridge feature works over the Bluetooth connection and only when it is in range of the phone. Now if you opened an attachment and saved it to your Playbook, the file would then of course reside on the PB. When using my personal BB and PB, I tend to save the attachments to my phone first and then open them from my PB accessing the files through the bridge connection.

In order to make this happen, you need to "bridge" your BB with yourPlaybook via Bluetooth.    Bluetooth  on DND owned devices is disabled by National BB policy.    YOu are always free to submit an RFC and give your business case for access.

just as the following RFCs may be of  use to you.

RFC 22795 - enable still camera  ( excludes  the video camera, which is 25009, and only approved for DMs)
RFC 24660 - enable mass storage ( ie, the microSD memroy card )

full internet, GPS and text messaging are local policies which vary from base to base, and user to user.  Where I am.. we get full internet, GPS and text.  YMMV

Back