• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

First off great work on actually working towards a goal, and being proactive about your upcoming course. You would be quite surprised at how many people show up for BMQ/IAP/BOTP well below the standard required. As said earlier, if you can meet the standards, don't worry too much about the weight. A great way to prepare for your time on BMQ is to do circuit and interval training. Remember the more fit you are when you get there, the easier it will be for you. Keep training and good luck.[/quote]

.... and make sure that you do not show up with a sports injury - one of the by products of over training or not training properly.

This is an exercise I came up with; I call it the Iron Super Man, 12 exercises in one.
With an Olympic bar loaded with your weight.

1) Dead lift, hold the bar and
2) Calf raise,
3) Shoulder shrug/trap squeeze
4) Power clean,
5) Squat, bar is across your chest/shoulders,
6) Press over the head as you finish the squat up, lower to the back of neck,
7) Good morning back extension
8) Military press finish in front of chest
9) Squat, finish up,
10) Lower bar to thighs and bend over and do a lat pull/row,
11) Straighten up/ lower back extension,
12) Calf raise/and finish the dead lift by putting the bar down.

Second set do all movements twice. Third set do all movements three times.
If you can do it all with 30-45 second brakes in between sets you are an Iron Super Man.
The best I have ever done is two sets with 135 lbs. I weigh in at 165 lbs. I couldn't even come close to finishing the third set.

Im currently trying to increase my push ups to about 60-70 in one go. I currently work out 4 times a week.

back/chest
day off
arms/abs
day off
legs
shoulders/abs

and I jog 4-5k 3 times a week

Now here is the question if I do 200 push ups every day (each set is too failure until I reach 200), would this be overtraining?or should I take every other day off.

Currently I am scared shitless for the PT required in SQ and BIQ. Right now I can maybe do 25 pushups, 35 situps and a 4-5km run. My pull ups/chin ups are horrible, I dont even think I could do 1 pull up. Im in the Reserves and im doing my BMQ on thursday nights, and then on friday nights to sunday nights. So basically, the only time i have during the week to workout is Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and ofcourse PT during BMQ. They gave me the AFS book but how do I exactly follow the program when I dont have the schedule for it?

Should I scrap the actual schedule and just use the circuits they give me or?

I'm preparing for the CF express test and, unlike most people, the thing I am worried about is the hand grip test. I have relatively skinny arms, what would be the best thing for me to do to gain strength?

Honestly I would not worry about it.I have never heard of ANYONE ever failing the grip test.My wife is tiny,she had no problems.However you can buy those hand grip exercisers at usually anystore (dollar store).There alright to use sitting around watching TV for boredom....
Here's a link anyway.I have the one similar only a coiled spring as resistance.

http://deforceenterprises.com/bfs/adjustable-hand-grip.html

If you can pass everything else I would not give it a second chance.

The part I have trouble with is the push-ups. I've tried to gain strength in the chest but just can't seem to do it. I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to get fit.

It doesn't help that I'm thirty-five years old....

I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, and I have great difficulty doing more than 20 push-ups.

Are the requirements the same for the Reserves and the Cadet Instructor Cadre?

Best Wishes,

-Rick

You can find the good ARMY FITNESS MANUAL, 2004 (http://armyapp.dnd.ca/38CBG_ARSD/CBTIST/top7/B-GL-382-003-PT-001.pdf) in a link at www3.telus.net/helper33

T.R.Hayward said:
The part I have trouble with is the push-ups. I've tried to gain strength in the chest but just can't seem to do it. I'm starting to think that I'll never be able to get fit.

It doesn't help that I'm thirty-five years old....

I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs, and I have great difficulty doing more than 20 push-ups.

Are the requirements the same for the Reserves and the Cadet Instructor Cadre?

Best Wishes,

-Rick

The only way you can get good at push-ups is doing push-ups.Our society constantly looks for new and easier ways to lose weight,improve performance and physically appear in better condition.The is unfortunately no push up pills.Therefore actually do push-ups.It will not come to you over night,maybe not over a month.Let's face it you didn't go to bed last night and wake up unable to do any pushups due to weak muscles.It has been due to lack of exercise and lack of time put into ones body over the years.

All the information has been covered in other physical fitness forums in regards to push-ups,how to improve etc.There are a variety of training plans,however they all revolve around actually doing them.

Reserve PT requirements are the same as its regular force counterparts.However they lack time and compensation)For further discussion type my name in and you will see my once bitter self discussing lack of any standard army wide.

CIC does not have a physical fitness standard.(In case you wish to discuss this there is a post on it )

Also saying your 6'2 240 pounds is really irrelevant.As 90 pounds could be fat covering very weak muscles,or you could be extremely built.However with a comment about not being able to do 20 PU,I opt for the prior.

As for the comment "it doesn't help when I'm 35 years old".Its an excuse for years of neglect on your body.We have plenty of instructors in our cadre who are plus 30 who are in excellent physical condition.Plenty of members on this board in fact over 30 who can run laps around the children joining today.(I also once covered fatness in the army/society finding the nexus between them)

If you expect to get fit overnight forget it,go get a bag of Doritos and head back to the couch.

If you think "you'll never be able to get fit" your proably right.As it takes great dedication and mental toughness to whip your body into shape.And with a failure outlook,you will most likely not go far.Hey another 30 years you can get a Canada pension anyway.Why not relax and wait for it to roll in.

As for joining the army in deplorable shape don't worry about it.Our army accepts (not excluding each generalisation to 1 per person):

*mentally weak (the physically fit guys who just fall out....its easier you know)
*broken (spend most of your course on chit.Only to recover miraculous for the fun stuff/must participate for graduation.Then grad and become a useless asshole in a section)
*The excuse guy ("We'll I blew my knee out on a 1 km run 27 years ago...that's why I'm so big" ..example)
*The lack of dedication guy (i COULD get into shape,however I'll just wait for them to make me)
*extremely obese (Human rights and all)

We will accommodate you!
*Too big for CF'S?We will have a special set made for you!
*Too lazy to actually do PT during the mornings?We will give you time off work in the afternoons to work with PSP staff!(prior to 14h00 of        course,wouldn't want to cut into YOUR time with all that work stuff.)
*come in a little over the BFT timings? DONT WORRY! Nothings official! 2:26:20ish will suffice.

And to make it all better you can charge us when we yell at your lazy ass on PT! We use to call it motivation however now telling a young guy to "hurry up and catch the group"Is harassment.

So either way you want to look at it your safe in the army.

Sidenote: Ever want to become clean of narcotics?Ever wonder what life without coke would be like?We'll join the army!We will put you on C&P for 1 year,give you drug counselling and a year off basically!PAID top army private pay!Then we will all of a sudden trust you to deploy overseas as a gunner,return and be promoted to yet another rank.

LOWEST COMMON DENOMIATOR.

But yeah....just pratice Push-ups a few times a week.

Hey, Ex RCAC,
I agree with just about everything you said in your last post. I am one of those over 35ers who can run circles around the kids. The one thing I don't quite agree with is the part about being charged for "motivating the troops", I have been an instructor at CFLRS for two years and nobody that I know here at the school has ever been charged for yelling at either recruits or officer candidates. A couple have had harrassment complaints, but once the investigation has been completed they were found to be groundless. Yes the fact that the standard is now practically non-existant sucks hard. Some of the folks joining the forces nowadays are pretty much useless. Out of shape, over weight and lazy. However it is pretty easy to get rid of that kind of excess baggage. Early morning PT, pushups and the ever popular Mcpl/MS power hour.(I love the dead cockroach and C7 strengthening drills). A little bit of pressure applied in the right place at the right time does wonders, and now they are bringing in a new voluntary release form that will cut the wait to get out from 4-6 weeks to approx 2 weeks. It is a new initiative so we will have to wait a while to see how it works out. Take heart my friend if the instructors at all the bases that teach BMQ/IAP/BOTP are dedicated and remain adamant in maintaining discipline then the final product for graduates will not be so bad. That is not to say that some garbage won't make it thru, but then no process is perfect. Feel free to let me know (as if you wouldn't) if you disagree.
Thanks, Marc

M Feetham said:
Hey, Ex RCAC,
I agree with just about everything you said in your last post. I am one of those over 35ers who can run circles around the kids. The one thing I don't quite agree with is the part about being charged for "motivating the troops", I have been an instructor at CFLRS for two years and nobody that I know here at the school has ever been charged for yelling at either recruits or officer candidates. A couple have had harrassment complaints, but once the investigation has been completed they were found to be groundless. Yes the fact that the standard is now practically non-existant sucks hard. Some of the folks joining the forces nowadays are pretty much useless. Out of shape, over weight and lazy. However it is pretty easy to get rid of that kind of excess baggage. Early morning PT, pushups and the ever popular Mcpl/MS power hour.(I love the dead cockroach and C7 strengthening drills). A little bit of pressure applied in the right place at the right time does wonders, and now they are bringing in a new voluntary release form that will cut the wait to get out from 4-6 weeks to approx 2 weeks. It is a new initiative so we will have to wait a while to see how it works out. Take heart my friend if the instructors at all the bases that teach BMQ/IAP/BOTP are dedicated and remain adamant in maintaining discipline then the final product for graduates will not be so bad. That is not to say that some garbage won't make it thru, but then no process is perfect. Feel free to let me know (as if you wouldn't) if you disagree.
Thanks, Marc

We at out center have not had the problem.Rather at the unit itself.I won't get into too many details,well no more than I already have.But the harrassment charge went up for it.However your right Marc,motivation is just that.Not harrassment.And to tell you the truth I would like to see that charge try to pass on a recruit course.

And your right no process is perfect.At you or anyones end.

I response to Mdrinka and EX RCAC regarding the hand grip strength test; I was on a my phase III platoon cmdrs course in winter 2000 in Gagetown, the school was quiet becuase it was the winter and really quiet because 2RCR was on deployment. There was about 30 guys that started the course most with a couple years in and some, like me, were from the fall phase II. 5 guys were punted because they failed the grip test, 2 more for fitness issues all in the first week or week and a half. Most of us on course were a little put out at this as some of these guys were/are really good soliders.  The staff got lots of milage out of bringing up the grip test at EVERY opportunity (problems with stoppages for example) for the next 2 months or so. I don't know what things are like now...but i'd do your best to ensure you fit in every way possible.  The standards are the standards. Full stop.

Bane said:
I response to Mdrinka and EX RCAC regarding the hand grip strength test; I was on a my phase III platoon cmdrs course in winter 2000 in Gagetown, the school was quiet becuase it was the winter and really quiet because 2RCR was on deployment. There was about 30 guys that started the course most with a couple years in and some, like me, were from the fall phase II. 5 guys were punted because they failed the grip test, 2 more for fitness issues all in the first week or week and a half. Most of us on course were a little put out at this as some of these guys were/are really good soliders.  The staff got lots of milage out of bringing up the grip test at EVERY opportunity (problems with stoppages for example) for the next 2 months or so. I don't know what things are like now...but i'd do your best to ensure you fit in every way possible.  The standards are the standards. Full stop.

Wow
That is honestly the first time I've ever heard of anyone failing the grip test.
If you don't mind me asking what were the demographics of these people?Were they Hobbits?
As I alluded to earlier my wife at 98lbs had no problems.No one on any of my courses ever had problems with it.
But again as I said if you feel you may have issues,buy some of those grip machines I posted.
Also I'm sure if you dropped by a base during working hours and went to see the PSP staff,they could let you try the grip test out.It takes 5 seconds.

Someone actually failed a grip test??

It's also the first time I've ever heard of it. I even exceed the male standard for the grip test and I'm a ~gasp~ girl. And I'm not a big hulking girl either.

This is just too weird.

Vern

This has been covered before, but.....it is actually easy to fail the Grip Test.  If the 'Candidate' is not given the proper instructions by the 'Tester', through lack of knowledge, or omission, then the Candidate may not properly adjust the mechanism to fit their hand and fail the test. 

All the guys were between 19 and 30 years old, mix of reserve and Reg. force. One of the guys I can say was bone thin, but it was a bit of surpise to all involved that so many were let go.  Because the battle school was so quiet, if I recall correctly we were the only course running that winter, I can't say if it made it harder or easier on us but it serves as a good cautionary tail. I have also never heard of people being punted for this reasion either before or since, but there you are. There is a good side to this story, most of the guys that left in that first week went back in the spring and passed the course as far as I remember.

Hi..This is my first post. I read the help file but I'm still nottoo sure how this works. Its my first time in a forum. So I hope I'm doing this right.
Anyway. I'm 32 years old. I have smoked for over 10 years and I have quit about 5 1/2 months ago. I have taken the aptitude test and spoke to the recruiter a few times. I want to enlist as an LCIS I'm allready a computer tech with about 3 years experience. Anyway..I'm wondering if 32 is too old? I'm not in shape at all. I have started jogging and working out. I must say that I need to loose some weight also..I'm 6ft3 and about 238 lbs. Anyway..Is this a realistic goal? Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing in order to get into shape enough to get through BMQ?..I really want this..but as I said..32 years old and not in shape...what are my chances..I'm not afraid to work for it...any advice welcome...thank you

Where there is a will there is a way.
    Your experience will be different than a recruit who joins at 18, but that doesn't mean it will be bad.  What I have heard from some guys on IAP this year is that there are is good number of 'older' guys around (mid 20's ish and up). Some of the people in here will no doubt have better information than me on this and can confirm of deny this, again just what I've heard.
    As you mention, your fitness will be the big issue but as long as there is no medical reason that you can't train, you should be able to whip yourself into shape in 6-8 months or so, ball park guess. As far as fitness goes, I personally think the hardest part for you will be the pacing of your regeim; You must push yourself enough to improve rapidly and constantly, but not so fast that you get discouraged, burnt out or worse, hurt. This is a difficult thing to do and your lack of fitness experiance will make it that much harder for you to 'read' your body. A few visits to a personal trainer to get you off in the proper direction might be in order. Also a few follow up visists to get them to assess your progress.
Even if you don't do that, keep a fitness/nutrition journal as it will motivate you and keep you in check.

As a personal note, I had a bunch of older guys (late 20's to mid/late 30's) on some of my courses; the majority did just fine and were a pleasure to have around as they added a different temperament to groups which is very useful.

I dont really think age or the fact thar ur not fit has anything to do with ur potential ability to join the army. 4 months ago i was 5'6 and 125 pounds and i am 20 years old. now i am still 5'6 but 155 pounds and gonna be 21 in 2 months. I have been training my but off for the last 4 months thinking about how the last 2 years at university were uselless because i wasnt enjoying it. All i want to do is join the army and serve my country. Everyone said i wont be able to make it, but over the past 4 months of hard work, proper dieting that reality is just that much closer. So dont worry about ur age, if u want something hard and if u feel deprived, just work at it. I never thought i would ever get as far as i have, but i have. and even though i feel i am ready for the army, i still feel there is more improvements that can be made. its all about exercising, proper nutrition and the will to make it. most importantly its preparing urself for a completly different lifestyle. good luck on ur training, u are blessed with a 6'3 frame, and if u can cut 30 pounds i think ur good enough to kick some ass even at age 32 ( which isnt that old by the way) lol.

Back