• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

PuckChaser said:
You're probably walking a fine line here between being sarcastic and just flat out making personal attacks. There's a way you can point out someone is wrong without being a sarcastic #@$@$ about it.

Im being sarcastic.

Mike

canada94 said:
Very very true, the belief that these studies are funded by soy companies has to be a complete joke. Just as meat is essential and important to our health it can be just as bad for us, so that is true.

Mike

How would grass fed, free range meat bad for you?

Kratos said:
How would grass fed, free range meat bad for you?

To much iron in your diet can be bad for you. But as of now i have a verbal warning because i can't help but always sound sarcastic and rude :( sorry boys,

Mike

canada94 said:
To much iron in your diet can be bad for you. But as of now i have a verbal warning because i can't help but always sound sarcastic and rude :( sorry boys,

Mike

You will never be able to eat enough meat in the run of a day for that to be a problem.

canada94 said:

Mike

Then you need to modify your posting style. A good rule is if your post will not add anything meaningful to the discussion at hand then don't post.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Ex-Dragoon said:
Then you need to modify your posting style. A good rule is if your post will not add anything meaningful to the discussion at hand then don't post.

Milnet.Ca Staff

I understand, and am sorry. I don't want to be an enemy of this military family, especially when it means so much to me.

Thank you for giving me a chance,

Mike

Kratos said:
You will never be able to eat enough meat in the run of a day for that to be a problem.
After a bit of thought, an idea came to me on this subject.  It is in fact, quite easily possible to get to much of this.  Simply said, Multi-Vitamins.  Some people, like myself, do not get enough of their daily nutrition and end up taking supps to attempt a fix.  Perhaps after taking this supplement, a person goes on a meat eating binge.  They could theoretically get pretty close to overdose levels or reach it, no?

Final said:
After a bit of thought, an idea came to me on this subject.  It is in fact, quite easily possible to get to much of this.  Simply said, Multi-Vitamins.  Some people, like myself, do not get enough of their daily nutrition and end up taking supps to attempt a fix.  Perhaps after taking this supplement, a person goes on a meat eating binge.  They could theoretically get pretty close to overdose levels or reach it, no?

I still doubt it, even with a multi-vitamin.

Plus, if you're a man, you should think about taking a multi-vitamin without iron.

Mine does not contain iron.

Again, the thought of too much iron has never crossed my mind.

Kratos said:
I still doubt it, even with a multi-vitamin.

Plus, if you're a man, you should think about taking a multi-vitamin without iron.

Mine does not contain iron.

Again, the thought of too much iron has never crossed my mind.
Well, It is possible to overdose on the multi-vitamins, but what's the point of having no iron in your vitamin?

Final said:
Well, It is possible to overdose on the multi-vitamins, but what's the point of having no iron in your vitamin?

Of course it's possible. You'd have to take a lot of multivitamin pills. Who's going to look at the bottle, see that it says to take one per day, and take ten or fifteen?

Men and postmenopausal women should be wary of multis with iron in them. You could have just Googled it, but here are some things I pulled:

Men absorb iron from the food that they eat, and once this iron is in the body it has essentially no way to get out. Women also absorb iron, however they are generally-though not completely- protected from excess iron accumulation through regular iron loss by way of menstrual blood (they lose this benefit after menopause)

Men who eat red meats, iron rich whole grains and green leafy vegetables can probably meet their iron RDA

Basically, it's very easy to get it from your regular diet and you don't need any more.

Kratos said:
Of course it's possible. You'd have to take a lot of multivitamin pills. Who's going to look at the bottle, see that it says to take one per day, and take ten or fifteen?

Men and postmenopausal women should be wary of multis with iron in them. You could have just Googled it, but here are some things I pulled:

Basically, it's very easy to get it from your regular diet and you don't need any more.

Ah I see what you mean.  Well, I guess we are all working on our bodies in a different way.  Me, I dont eat much so Im quite sure Im not reaching any values at all..oh and..I always forget to take my pills..Woot haha

Final said:
Ah I see what you mean.  Well, I guess we are all working on our bodies in a different way.  Me, I dont eat much so Im quite sure Im not reaching any values at all..oh and..I always forget to take my pills..Woot haha

I don't get the first statement as it pertains to this discussion.

I often forget to take my multivitamin, as well, but I don't really worry about it. Sometimes I forget whether or not I've taken one at breakfast, so I think about it and whatever side of the argument (yes or no) wins, I may or may not take one.

Then it's just five fish oil capsules and 2000 IUs of vitamin D.

Kratos said:
I don't get the first statement as it pertains to this discussion.
Some people are deficient in certain vitamins naturally and require an extra dose of whatever they're missing.  I guess I'm thinking in a negative form?  Yeah most likely..

Everyone is deficient  in pretty much all vitamins.
They're also deficient in protein, fat and carbs.
That's why we eat. If people are missing something, unless they have a legitimate reason (allergic, etc), then it's cause they have a poor diet.

It's really not that difficult:
Drink normal 2% milk.
Drink water - stay hydrated.
Eat eggs (the whole thing).
Eat lots of flesh (meat, poultry, fish, etc) with a generous portion of vegetables (beans, peas, corn, carrots, etc - large variety basically). This can be through steak, sausages, hamburgers, etc.
Alternate with pizza/pasta every now and then.
Eat a variety of fruit.
Get some sun (for that vitamin D).
Spoil yourself every now and then.

Don't avoid fat - some vitamins are fat soluble only.
You can deal with this by eating food with healthy fat.
Fish and a variety of nuts do this well.

I know some women that eat little, avoid meat and are surprised that they are anemic and constantly exhausted.
Eating one leaf of lettuce a day with your 450 different pills is not "healthy".
Nothing wrong with taking supplementary pills - operative word being "supplementary". Supplementary to an already healthy diet.

bdave said:
Everyone is deficient  in pretty much all vitamins.
They're also deficient in protein, fat and carbs.
That's why we eat. If people are missing something, unless they have a legitimate reason (allergic, etc), then it's cause they have a poor diet.

It's really not that difficult:
Drink normal 2% milk.
Drink water - stay hydrated.
Eat eggs (the whole thing).
Eat lots of flesh (meat, poultry, fish, etc) with a generous portion of vegetables (beans, peas, corn, carrots, etc - large variety basically). This can be through steak, sausages, hamburgers, etc.
Alternate with pizza/pasta every now and then.
Eat a variety of fruit.
Get some sun (for that vitamin D).
Spoil yourself every now and then.

Don't avoid fat - some vitamins are fat soluble only.
You can deal with this by eating food with healthy fat.
Fish and a variety of nuts do this well.

I know some women that eat little, avoid meat and are surprised that they are anemic and constantly exhausted.
Eating one leaf of lettuce a day with your 450 different pills is not "healthy".
Nothing wrong with taking supplementary pills - operative word being "supplementary". Supplementary to an already healthy diet.

Being deficient in something is not the same as needing to acquire something through diet.

- Why do you choose 2% milk? That's kind of arbitrary. Some people will drink homogenized, some will drink skim.
- Although pizza and pasta are good, there's no need to ever eat either if you don't want to.
- All meats contain healthy fats.

My point was that many deficiencies are brought on by a poor diet. Adjusting your diet would take care of the deficiencies.

- 2 percent because it has more calories.
- I just didn't want to seem like I was saying you should only eat meat, always, forever.
- True that.

bdave said:
My point was that many deficiencies are brought on by a poor diet. Adjusting your diet would take care of the deficiencies.

- 2 percent because it has more calories.
- I just didn't want to seem like I was saying you should only eat meat, always, forever.
- True that.

- If you're drinking milk for calories, you might as well go homogenized.
- I used to indulge in pizza quite often as post workout meal. Good stuff.

For weight loss, avoid refined sugar and white flour. Eat lots and lots of vegetables, fish, nuts, milk, and some red meat. You Want to avoid processed food. Whole grains are good to some extent, but if weight loss is your goal go easy on them. You can get your energy from fruit and nuts, which are very effective if eaten 30-90 minutes before exercise.  Try to keep your meals small as well, but eat every 2-3 hours, this keeps your metabolism going. Also eat as soon as you get up, and start chugging that good ol H20.

As far as running goes, if you suck at it, whatever, you have to start somewhere, do the run/ walk method, run a minute, walk a minute for 20 minutes three times a week.  Eventually building up your running time, and decreasing your walking time.

OR

Take it slow, I was recovering from severe shin splints, and was doing a really slow 1-mile run and got passed by an older woman(well she was probably 60+). Dont let seniors passing you get you down, just keep at it, and slowly build intensity and distance. Best of luck.

Kratos said:
- If you're drinking milk for calories, you might as well go homogenized.
- I used to indulge in pizza quite often as post workout meal. Good stuff.

Drinking milk for everything it contains. Many people, including myself, find it difficult to pack the calories. Should have clarified that  :p

Back