• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Philosophy BA What can I do !!!

coreymclean

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all

This is my first post and i am just curious about a few things.

First off I have a philosophy degree and I am curious what officer plans are possible with sucha degree and what you might recomend.

I really want to be a Military Police Officer but the recrutier I talked to said that Philo is a "grey area" discipline and he was not sure if it would qualify. If anyone know please let me Know.

If not I am thinking of going into a Different position and hopefully transfering over to MP later in my career(or maybe an intelligenceofficer).  If this is a viable situation what do you think would be a good area?? (I was thinking

Also if anyone could explain to me the longevity of a contract and the pay that would be great (I have found a pay schedule posted by someone but I am unsure as to what collums or rows would apply to me)

Well that is it for now thanks all for your time and consideration.

Cheers

Why did you not ask at the recruiting center.....Like most questions, we don't think of asking until we have walked out, but they can be called or revisited to ask some more questions....I would think that is pretty normal.

I agree with GAP these are good questions for your second visit....it sounds like you just picked up brochures and had a very cursory chat with the chap at the counter. When you do your testing etc they'll tell you what you qualify for in black and white and then you can choose. If you're coming in as an officer you are are an officer cadet until you graduate from BOTC and then commissioned to 2Lt basic on the pay scale. Buddy of mine on here is a recruiter in Hamilton I'll bring your thread to his attention and maybe he can guide you a little more. good luck in your inquiries.

Maybe you can solve a question that's been plaguing gunners for years: if a shell goes long in a forest and there's no-one there to witness the fall of shot, does it make a sound?

No........anything outside of the safety trace never really happened and therefore could not make any noise.

Future Unknown said:
What can you do in any field with a philosophy degree?
Bemuse and entertain the troops.

To be fair - I'm sure there are many occupations the original poster is qualified for, but he needs to get that info from the Recruiting Centre, as others have noted.

Roy

As a commissioned CF member with a degree in Philosophy, allow me to dispel the myth that those with Philosophy degrees are all working at McDonald's, flipping burgers. 
Studies in Philosophy vary, from Existentialism ("Does a tree fall in the forest" arguments), to Epistemology ("How does the mind work?") to Ethics ("What is right?  What is good?") to logic ("critical thinking and problem analysis and solving") to many more disciplines.

Undergrads of Philosophy do well in Graduate studies at Law School, better than Law undergrads.  Epistemologists and logisticians do well at computer programming.  Persons who focus on Ethics do well in Theology (for the clergy).  As for me, I focussed mostly on Epistemology and Logic, though I do not do well at computer programming. 

I can say with complete confidence that a degree in Philosophy will help you in any field of your choosing.  It will help you with problem solving, with ethical choice and overall with life.  It is not a specific skill, but you will suffer the slings and arrows of those who think that Philosophy is all goatees, long hair and sandals.  Remember that the "Ph" in PhD. stands for "Philosophy".

Well thank you all for your help

I am going to look into it some more that was the plan I was just posting here to get some information (never hurts to have to much info from to many places eh?)

cheers

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
As a commissioned CF member with a degree in Philosophy... to logic ("critical thinking and problem analysis and solving") to many more disciplines.

Don't you mean ∃x(Fx^Gx^Hx)?

- Critical thinking, eh?.   

- They should offer you a signing bonus!

BA

AKA "Begin Again"  (JK)

Let's face it, all you learn in school is to learn for yourself.
The world is your oyster and you can probably tackle pert much anything you put your mind to... within reason ;)

Worse comes to worse, you can come work with me at one of the Puzzle Palaces

Shamrock said:
Don't you mean ∃x(Fx^Gx^Hx)?
:rofl:

I haven't seen that kind of notation since my classes in predicate calculus *shudder*

Regardless of the merits of a Philosophy degree, you can apply for Combat Arms, MARS, ANav, AEC or Pilot.  However, there are some Math requirements to some of these occupations so check with your local CFRC/D.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
As a commissioned CF member with a degree in Philosophy, allow me to dispel the myth that those with Philosophy degrees are all working at McDonald's, flipping burgers. 
Thanks Mortarman! I have a degree in Philosophy (Concordia) as well and seem to be justifying it quite a bit to people who seem to think it is a useless degree. I am considering law as a graduate study at McGill, so you are absolutely right in saying that it is a great precursor to law - who reads more unwieldy texts than those in philosophy? If you can get any mental traction on certain philosophers, then law texts can't be too out of the possibilities.

It's not so much the comprehension of ancient texts that lends itself to being a better candidate to master law, but rather learning certain skills, such as sophistry and so forth.  Whereas undergrad law students will learn laws, not so much do they learn how to argue, which of course what good lawyers do very well.

Back