• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

....and on that note PM INCOMING.

Regards

shadow said:
It was on the market for 7 days when I looked at it.  14 days by the time our negotiations were finished.  I really lucked out, the house has been completely remodeled inside - it's like living in a brand new house, with huge property and in a really friendly town.  Being posted to Pet I imagine I will be driving in, then going on ex for weeks at a time, so I don't anticipate the gas being too much of an issue.
I guess the difference between mortgage payments and car maintenance/gas also depends on what the bank says you can afford!
Gas/maintenance aren't fixed costs in the eyes of the bank, so it's easier to spend it on vehicle as needed than get approved for a mortgage for that amount.

Sounds like a great place. Not too many places sell that quick out there...there's something to be said about being the right place at the right time. Enjoy your new place.

huh...i hadn't checked on this in a while...so i was surprised to see all the controversy  >:D

we just figured we were gonna take our hht and see what was available (if anything now!) and make a decision from there...i've spent enough of the last few years in "student housing" to know that i can live in less than perfect conditions...i think as long as the house isn't falling down around me i'll be able to deal with anything else :)

thanks for all the info folks

jesses_girl said:
huh...i hadn't checked on this in a while...so i was surprised to see all the controversy  >:D

we just figured we were gonna take our hht and see what was available (if anything now!) and make a decision from there...i've spent enough of the last few years in "student housing" to know that i can live in less than perfect conditions...i think as long as the house isn't falling down around me i'll be able to deal with anything else :)

thanks for all the info folks

All the best in Pet...it's a great spot.

Hi, I used to work at CFHA Petawawa so I can probably clarify a few issues.  As far as I know not all of the apartments are redone, some are still being worked on (may have changed).  It's mostly the exteriors that are new though like some people said, so I would always recommend getting the keys on an offer and taking an indepth look at any place you plan on renting.  CFHA in Petawawa would not allow anyone to live in a condemned PMQ, ever.  Not all empty PMQ's are being worked on at one time, what happens is there is a waiting list for specific PMQ's.  For example, during posting season single units on the Northside and apartments (well pretty much anything on the Northside) have a waiting list.  A lot of the PMQ's on the southside are the ones people turn their noses up at, and hence they are the empty ones and there is usually not a waiting list for those.  I would recommend a southside PMQ for a single person or a couple over the apartments, you get more space and the price difference, if there is one, is in favour of the PMQ.  It depends on how smart you are with the heat and hydro as the apartments it is included in the price of rent and for the rowhouses you pay your own.  If there's any other questions I can probably help with them.

I'm going to be joining the RCR and I'm looking to purchase a new home.  Any info on the builders in the area would be great.
thanks, matt

Matt;

I am currently having a house built outside of Pembroke by Legacy Homes.  So far, so good.  They are a small, local builder with a good rep.  E-mail Legacy@nrtco.net; phone (613) 687-4774.  Happy home hunting.

Quick question for anyone "in the know"

Posted in October and DIT is in about 4 weeks.

I heard that Pet has some pmq's which are "better" then others.  For example they have patio doors etc....rumour is they are not very popular because people on the base are not use to paying that much for q's.  Old officer q's?

So my question is this, are there actually q's like this there? if so how much? are they worth it?

Cheers!

i know for a fact the project to seal in the old insulation in the quarters because it might have asbestos in the insulation is going very well. i was working for the company doing it. all the quarters i have been in working seem very nice

HELP!!!  Petawawa CFHA says they DO NOT allow selection of PMQ's anymore.  We all remember looking at our allocation, wondering what you did to them to deserve this, then selecting something else.  Well a family member seen my allocation yesterday and it is brutal.  there is no backyard at all.  I feel a fight coming on and am wondering if anyone in the Pet area i.e. community council can give me some advice?  Please help me  :crybaby:

7 - 10 days said:
HELP!!!  Petawawa CFHA says they DO NOT allow selection of PMQ's anymore.  We all remember looking at our allocation, wondering what you did to them to deserve this, then selecting something else.  Well a family member seen my allocation yesterday and it is brutal.  there is no backyard at all.  I feel a fight coming on and am wondering if anyone in the Pet area i.e. community council can give me some advice?  Please help me  :crybaby:

Technically they never did allow it. You went to the bottom of the waiting list if you refused the allocated one and waited while they filled everyone else's requirements.
You need to get your supervisor to get your unit to wade in on your behalf in my humble opinion.

There is no way to select a home anymore....and your unit can't do anything about it either, besides forwarding paperwork.

Good luck trying to get what you want for a home, but don't hold your breath.

I have no time for the organization in Pet and I won't get into it on these means.

Regards

Hmmm, I had absolutely no problem with my PMQ in Pet.  I had a large backyard and the Q was in great shape with new windows, etc.  Whenever I had a problem CE was there quickly and I rarely had to wait for anything to be fixed.  It sure beat the Q I had in Esquimalt where the curtains would move whenever there was a wind and insulation was virtually unheard of.

rmacqueen said:
Hmmm, I had absolutely no problem with my PMQ in Pet.  I had a large backyard and the Q was in great shape with new windows, etc.  Whenever I had a problem CE was there quickly and I rarely had to wait for anything to be fixed.  It sure beat the Q I had in Esquimalt where the curtains would move whenever there was a wind and insulation was virtually unheard of.

You lucked out.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28440/post-221100.html#msg221100

Prior to my move from the Maritimes I had concerns about the Q for the sake of my wife. Our last neighbour literally drove her to the brink of a break-down....and I was looking for a single house, no attachment. The cops were there on a regular basis for noise, fights, drug complaints which resulted in them being forced from that Q and thrown out later of the Q entirely. Needless to say.....she needed somewhat of a quiet home and made that clear to the staff at IRPP who tried to make some headway in that regard, but met with little co-operation. Having a medical concern (hypertension, panic attacks, anxiety, high blood pressure) at the time met nothing I guess.

Now onto what was wrong with the Q.....I have 4 pages of things and shortcomings on 8.5x11 folscap that I submitted to CFHA upon my march in.

I couldn't even look at the place prior to the movers getting there, through no fault of my own.

When I walked in to CFHA, F&E still on the truck BTW, and told them the sitrep on the Q they showed no concern whatsoever and I was told that I had to accept it as is.

After the move and the cleaning that we had to do to get rid of the mud on the walls and ceilings among other things that were wrong (the place was never cleaned when the last tenants cleared out)...this process took the two of us about 3 days to do. Can you say feces on the floor in the basement?

Then onto the kicker. I signed agreements for a rent rate of $407/month prior to being posted to Pet...sight unseen at that. At the time the going rate for the same PMQ in Gagetown was approx $308....not bad but still a jump none the less.

After 2 weeks of being in the Q I received a letter that my rent was going to increase by $100 because of refurbishing that happened to it prior to my moving in.

I walked in to the offices (used to be on the North side, now on the South) and talked to the manager, who was less than co-operative to say the least. After talking to him about the situation for about a half hour he basically told me to "Suck it up" and that I'd have to live with it.

Wrong answer.

Let's just say that a friend of the family is a lawyer and is quite familiar with rental agreements in the province of Ontario....and I'll leave it at that.

I have no time for CFHA after that debacle and right now I'm still looking for a dream house....

Sorry about the rant....just the subject pisses me off.

Regards

Base Chapel is running a Vacation Bible School during March Break
for children aged 6 - 12.  It runs form the 12 - 16 of March, 0830 hrs
to 1200 hrs.  Cost is $25 per child for the week.

Contact Base Chapel at 613 687 5511 ext 5453 to sign up

Space is limited to 25 children!!! So please do not wait or
you might be left out.

My daughter did the one in the summer and it was very well run and they had a good time

Hi, I just graduated DP1 and I'm moving to Pet as a member of 3RCR.  I'm really looking forward to getting there but I have some questions about the MQ's.  I talked to the IRP reps about these questions and didn't really get an answer.  I applied for a 2 bed room MQ and my questions are is there appliances provided?  Will a kings sized bed fit in the bedrooms and what are the prices for a two bedroom?  I know there are resources to go through for these answers and i did try.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Matt

PMQs in Pet have been covered.  Usually the only appliances will be the Fridge and Stove, but with the changing times that may no longer be the case.  All other appliances are up to you to provide.  A King Size Bed may fit into most PMQ Master Bedrooms, but you may not be able to fit anything else in, nor walk around it.  ;D

Do a quick search of this forum and you'll find more on Pet.  Prices will vary on the type of PMQ/Apartment you may get.

MTH said:
  I talked to the IRP reps about these questions and didn't really get an answer. 

Thats because IRP doesnt handle anything that has to do with MQs

I applied for a 2 bed room MQ and my questions are is there appliances provided?

No.  That stopped years ago. IIRC only gas stoves were provided in some bases.

Will a kings sized bed fit in the bedrooms and what are the prices for a two bedroom? 

:rofl:

I know there are resources to go through for these answers and i did try. 

Call CFHA in Petawawa...they hadle all MQs...they will have answers for you.

Check out the CFHA website.

http://www.cfha-alfc.forces.gc.ca/locations/petawawa_h_e.asp

Back