• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petawawa Thread- Merged

I was posted to Pet 90-93....lived on Pachino. Went back 2 years ago to visit a friend and wandered by my old Q. I was shocked to see how badly in need of repairs it was...front porch crumbling away...etc.
when I lived in it we had frost around the plugs in the winter....not much insulation.
the sewer backed up while I was in Cyprus in 93 and my wife had quite a time. Made me feel so guilty I bought her a gold necklace and earings on the Turkish side. I've bought my own home ever since.

The budget today mentioned that one of the priorities in military spending would be for  Qs....let's hope.

riggermade said:
I think if anyone bothered to look into it they would realize that on every base there is vacant PMQ's.  This is due to the fact that maintenance has to be carried out and it is easier to do on a vacant Q rather than an occupied one.
From living in PMQ's most of my life I cannot complain about them, at least as a renter you do not pay foe repairs as homeowners do.
I think before all these so called experts give their opinion they find out why the PMQ's are vacant and I highly doubt that anybody is living in a condemned house
Urban Myth?

rigger...the empty pmq's, if you bothered to poll those leaving pmq's, and buying houses, is due, in large part to the low interest rates, the affordable cost to borrow, and the overall attraction of owning one's own property. Renovating a unit is easier on an empty unit, but if your occupancy rate is anywhere approaching 100%, then renovations are cut back, or performed with tenants. 400 empty pmqs out of 1700?? Do you seriously think they are all being renovated? I do live here. I have seen the same empty pmq for over 18 months. That is not renovations, that is low a occupancy rate

You don't think you are paying for repairs, living a pmq?? Has your rent increased at all over the past few years...

I agree that before any so called experts give their opinion on why pmqs are empty (including yourself) you had better know what you are talking about. My opinions can be backed by statistics. I have lived in pmq's, so I have first hand knowledge of them. I served 20+ years in the CF, and now work very closely with the local housing market.

I too, highly doubt that any CF member is living in condemned housing....that wasn't my claim.

'Infantry'...that will be something to check with, with your unit...most likely the RSM. I do know that a few years back, the RCHA's RSM mandated that any new single private (gunner...whatever) would live in quarters for a year, then could apply to move out of shacks....

'para'...I agree with the buying a house part...but buy soon, interest rates are on the rise, as are prices, especially in Pet.

Everyone...'specially jessie's girl....I lived in pmq's for 13 years...buying a house was the best investment I ever made...short of marrying the best woman in the world...my advice is...don't buy a house to make money...buy a house to live in. You CAN make money on selling your home...but that shouldn't be the principle reason for doing so. If you have tons of money, and can buy and sell real estate...well, that's a different story...if you're buying a house to live in...do just that. VERY rarely, will you lose money on real estate.

xrme

I too did 20+ years and live in my own house

I agree that owning your own house makes more sense but for different reasons alot of people choose to live in PMQ's

I did not profess to be amn "expert" and neither are you, all I am saying is before people go making accusations they should get the facts

riggermade said:
I did not profess to be amn "expert" and neither are you, all I am saying is before people go making accusations they should get the facts
or make follow-up posts clarifying themselves? Like I did, when asked for further details?

And being on year 11, now, with all 11 years and most of my childhood in a pmq, I think I have enough experience to be able to give advice. Maybe it ain't 20+, but it's not too bad. With Daddy being a former realtor, and a current Real Estate appraiser, I have a little bit of knowledge on buying/selling/renting, as well.

And I stand by my posts: I was told by several contractors while living in Pet from '96 - '03 that my apartment on Paardeburg, as well as the other apartment blocks had been condemned. I didn't bother investigating, because I didn't really care. We had other, more pressing, concerns at the time.

It's more fiscally sound to purchase a home than to rent. Especially pmq's, as the CF is trying to charge the same rates as nearby civilian rentors, for homes that are several years older, and nowhere near as good shape.

Mamma Bear,

Well said.  It is so nice to hear first hand information from a person who is now living in PMQs. 

Jesses_Girl - I have been in many PMQs in Petawawa and I know that there are many very nice ones that no one would mind living in.  There are also a few that do need a bit of work.  I have to say that CFHA has invested a lot of money in PMQs with new siding, roofing, windows and doors.  In addition, there are PMQs that are being completely gutted and redone so that they are a completely different unit.  In my opinion, PMQs have come a long way over the last ten years.  Are they perfect?  Not quite, but they have come a long way and continue to improve. 

In speaking to my CFHA contact, there are about one hundred more folks living in Petawawa PMQs today then there were one year ago.  This can be possibly attributed to the booming housing market which is quite frankly getting a bit too overheated and now out of the average person's ability to afford.  In addition, another factor may be the increase in personnel posted to base.

Have a good move to Petawawa...I am sure you will find this area very nice and welcoming.

Ed Gagnon
PSP Manager
CFB Petawawa

rigger...I don't know you, and you don't know me....however, I do consider myself somewhat an expert, given my relationship with a very successful realtor, and my experience with realty myself. I've conducted informal polls over the past four years, of people moving out of pmq's and purchasing their own property, and vice versa (albeit a somewhat rarity) where people may sell their property and move into a pmq. Your statement was "I think if anyone bothered to look into it they would realize that on every base there is vacant PMQ's.  This is due to the fact that maintenance has to be carried out and it is easier to do on a vacant Q rather than an occupied one." What I am saying...is I have looked into it, and it is not due to the fact that maintenance has to be carried out....yada yada yada. There is nowhere near enough contractors to work on 400 empty pmq's at any given time. Again, you don't know me...don't tell me what I am or what I am not. I do have a well, and hard earned license that says I am an expert.

para...is there something *I* need to clarify? As for your posts...you might consider taking comments made by a contractor or any other third party, with a grain of salt..given the lack or corroborating evidence. I'm not saying that you don't believe what you were told, as you obviously do. Heck, I even imagine any long term health concerns could be traced back to you living in a condemned building, that everyone, even the contractors knew about, and result in, what is now, a large lump sum payout? :) Hmmmm, come to think of it...I lived in one of those comdemned buildings for several months....I'm gonna call DVA in the morning! ;)

Ed, could your CFHA contact confirm the "condemned pmq" theory? :) Prices in the area are starting to be reduced. People selling were trying to capitalize on the influx of personal to the area, and consequently, have 'forced' the hands of those moving here, and put them into a situation where they have decided to move into a pmq. Those same houses will sell for list, or slightly less than list, when everyone coming, comes. Ed, who would you recommend?

xrme said:
para...is there something *I* need to clarify?
nah, just bein' a pain for the sake of bein' a pain, mostly.  ;D  My CO, who will doubtlessly read this in a couple weeks, will vouch for my skills at that. I was obtuse earlier on, but have since caught on.

As for your posts...you might consider taking comments made by a contractor or any other third party, with a grain of salt..given the lack or corroborating evidence. I'm not saying that you don't believe what you were told, as you obviously do.
Well, I do believe the apartments were condemned, but by whom? As we didn't look too heavily into it, I have no idea. Was it just the people who were looking at them for Low-Income Housing? This seemed (and seems) to be the most likely scenario. We also knew that they were working to bring them up to Code. ('Course they never did get to our block until just before I got my re-badge.  ::) ) And, we had other issues that took precedence (however, her Doc did say that the conditions she was living in were not helping.)

Heck, I even imagine any long term health concerns could be traced back to you living in a condemned building, that everyone, even the contractors knew about, and result in, what is now, a large lump sum payout
not me, my wife. Who was never that robust to begin with. Hence the other priorities at the time. And currently. Fortunately, I have manged, through some real estate wheeling and dealing, to purchase Niner a brand-spanking, just-built, house here in Edmonton, and can finally move her out of PMQ's. Although, these ones here are nowhere near as bad as the apartment in Pet. (Cold, though. Poor insulation, where there is any. No thought put into it.) So, after 11 years, I am finally taking the advice given to me so many years ago by NCOs wiser than I.

paracowboy said:
nah, just bein' a pain for the sake of bein' a pain, mostly.  ;D

Kudos... :salute:

Good luck with the house...great decision. And I hope your other half is doing better now. That is one thing I will agree with...my family always seemed to be ill/sick more so when living in pmqs. That may have something to do with the close confines, and the proximity to others....but I don't think the mould helped. I don't think the drafty rooms helped. I don't think the 3 inches of water in the basement helped. I don't.....well you get the idea.  ;)

Again, good luck with everything.

Hi folks,

I have spoken to my contact in CFHA Petawawa regarding condemmed PMQs.  She advised that there have never been any PMQs condemmed at CFB Petawawa.  This is yet another malicious rumour designed to cast dispersions on an agency that is working to improve the area of miitary housing.

If anyone wants to get information (as opposed to misinformation) please contact Jackie Lizzote at 613-687-7442.  She will be happy to discuss any CFHA Petawawa issue with anyone.

thanks,

Ed

there it is.

I retract the "condemned" in the face of hard evidence to the contrary.

I stand by my assertions that the apartments were unhealthy and horrible, and that Jesses_girl would be far better off purchasing a home.

Thanks, Ed for supplying some information. The only reason I mentioned it, was that you had indicated that you work closely with that, and other sections.

para...as I've said, I agree, they should be condemned, and that anyone would be better off purchasing a home.

Jessesgirl...if you're interested in purchasing a home in the area, I can certainly help you look for suitable properties.

One thing to add: if you buy a home and you are not legally married, get ownership details in writing. Common laws does not offer 100% of the legal protection that marriage does.

Ownership details, and family law, do not get along.

You can be married, your name not be on title, yet still have an interest in a matrimonial home. Common-law (or as the law likes to call it...cohabitation) can offer the same legal entitlements, under certain circumstances, and with the right legal representation.

I think before all these so called experts give their opinion they find out why the PMQ's are vacant and I highly doubt that anybody is living in a condemned house

Urban Myth?
I lived in a condemded unit for two years in Kingston... Any building in Kingston that has no mail boxes and more then one empty unit is on the chopping block for demo.. so No its isnt a Urban Myth..it's a fact

Good luck on your search..whatever you choose just a word of caution... Make a document of everything.. times dates and conditions... Who you talked too..Many repairs..and such..just in case... But Pet is a good place to be.. besides I believe its everyone wants to be on the north side of the base..

Siggy

Just a note for anyone coming to Pet...I read this evening, in the Post, that Petawawa council is recommending the county approve it's plan to add mor than 300 residential housing units in the next 10 years....of that 175 detached single family dwellings, and 9 blocks of multiple attached residential dwellings...(town houses). All this in one area specific to the area behind the existing beer and LCBO stores, ranging from Petawawa Blvd all the way over to Laurentian Dr. There are other areas planned, and already started, including one area up in the "forest" neighbourhood of Petawawa...corner of Murphy, and Doran...appx 87 units to be built on large lots, starting as early as this fall. There are already a dozen or so houses being built on Schwanz Rd...HUGE lots.

Is there anyone who lives away from base (Petawawa) closer to Ottawa and travels to work. Is this even allowed. The point behind this is so the spouse could find employment in her Field in or closer to Ottawa.

If so what are some of the areas or cities that you live in and commute from.

I am not looking to car pool or anything I just want to know if this is realistic and if anyone does do this.
Just looking for options.

There are lots of possibilities.  Depends on what you want to do.  Do you want long commutes or not?  Is one career more important than another's?  What is your Job and what will its' requirements be on your life?  (ie. time in Field, time on Deployments, shiftworker, etc.) 

As mentioned before in "Petawawa in all its splendour"  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40540/post-344988.html#msg344988

[Edit to merge the two topics]

I know of at least 5 people who live in Arnprior and commute to and from work everyday.

Mind you they have to keep a room in the shacks incase of weather, bugout etc.

It's located about 20ish minutes west from Ottawa.

Regards

Back