• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may need this if you are running Windows 7 or newer:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=91

Just tried downloading for windows 8 but apparently it is not applicable to my computer, at least that's the message I get when trying to download it.  Any other thoughts, or possible solutions?

What part of the help file are you looking for, or do you just want the entire thing?

The part with the ranks that defines what each category is worth in parts 4 and 5 for the PER's

...and the "Leading Change" dot is rated higher than the "Don't Break Things" dot.

Anybody made arrangements for the PHA recently?  You know, your physical health assessment?  What we used to call a "medical"...

:not-again:

G2G

Good2Golf said:
...and the "Leading Change" dot is rated higher than the "Don't Break Things" dot.

Anybody made arrangements for the PHA recently?  You know, your physical health assessment?  What we used to call a "medical"...

:not-again:

G2G

Which was previously called a "PHE" - Periodic Health Exam.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

MM

medicineman said:
Which was previously called a "PHE" - Periodic Health Exam.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

MM

Was that just for the female members?

Missed something GTG said - the P is actually for Periodic in PHA...all they ended up doing was changing the last word so the HCA or HSO in Ottawa could justify their cubicle dwelling for another PER season.

And to answer Kirkhill's question, since we're a gender neutral military, as a guy, you too need to be on your menses in order to get the exam done  >:D.

MM

Leading Change points should be retroactive. If in 5 years your idea is gone, it was stupid and never should have been implemented. Those points ought to be revoked.

kev994 said:
Leading Change points should be retroactive. If in 5 years your idea is gone, it was stupid and never should have been implemented. Those points ought to be revoked.

Revoked X 5

There should be real life Milpoints.

Not just gone, there should be before and after metrics for identifying positive change. Frequently bad ideas become organizational zombies that never die.

IE, with MES if they had taken a baseline measure of skill sets, time to train functional det members from raw recruit, and time to respond to support requests, I'm sure there would be some interesting outcomes compared to 5 years later. Those are the points MES was supposed to improve as well as flexibility (which is harder to assess)

Maybe set up the promotion system such that there is an evaluation on the state of your AOR on posting in (predecessor's posting out) then on your posting out, another assessment is done. If the assessment is negative you don't get promoted. 3 Negatives in a row gets you demoted maybe?

Of course this sort of thing should be already being done by the member's CoC based on their yearly PER/PDR cycle, so the idea is probably redundant on paper...  :'(

This is a serious question.

Is there any chance of reducing the rate of churn in the organization and keeping people in position longer?  I don't know how long your posting cycle is but I know myself it usually takes me a couple of years to grow accustomed to a job and start making positive contributions.  What would be the effect on the force if senior positions were increased to a 5 year posting?

The 5 year number is not picked at random. It relates to most start up businesses succeeding or failing in the first five years.  This is indicative of the managements ability to grip the situation and adjust to realities.  In five years the validity of the concept of the business has been demonstrated and the quality of the management can be assessed.

Short cycling managers, in my opinion, is a recipe for stasis - or as Shakespeare would have put it "lots of sound and fury signifying nothing".

IF the organization has well defined jobs and job descriptions and a clearly defined endstate then it can survive a high churn rate.  This is an army at war.

But if the organization has to be adaptive, flexible even, it has to rely on its managers and those managers need time to figure out the problem and enact a solution - and be held accountable for their end product.

And yes it is about management and not just leadership.

PanaEng said:
tangent alert...  :eek:ff topic:
:cheers:

Damm.  Ok.  Somebody open a new thread.  Everything is connected to everything else.....

Kirkhill said:
Damm.  Ok.  Somebody open a new thread.  Everything is connected to everything else.....

Done - carry on, folks.

While five years is probably excessive, I think it's absolutely idiotic that we've never synched up the managed readiness cycle with either the command cycle or the posting cycles.

If a battalion is on a three year readiness cycle, then the posting plot for leadership has to match that three year cycle, or else the steps of high readiness make little to no sense.

Many's the time I've seen guys go to Wainwright in the spring to be declared on high readiness, only to be posted out that APS. And then for the unit leadership to be completely re-jigged during the same APS. All only a few months after Wainwright.

So if your fictional B Coy was declared OPRED and on NTM in Wainwright in May, but by July it has brand new troops posted in as well as a new OC, is it still OPRED? Shades of the family axe story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

I think the idea of syncing the cycles sounds like a great idea but its one of those ideas that only looks good on paper.  If it was just a matter of doing that it would work but by the time you factor in such things as illnesses, injuries, other medical issues, retirements, releases, promotions, disciplinary matters, training requirements for career courses, other assorted training issues, administrative matters, qualifications required by a Unit or tasking and a whole host of other potential disruptions to the plan of keeping people in place longer it quickly becomes a much less attainable objective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back