• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PERs : All issues questions...2003-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always been curious how this works. Is the protected B info left off till back at the office ? And is it brought back to work with a USB stick and then scrubbed .. or emailed through the firewall?

Can someone PM me the password as well please?
Should have brought the work laptop home forgot I didn't have CFPAS installed on my home machine.

Just wondering why there is a password on this program. It is not like you can do anything with the program except write PERs/PDRs, there is nothing sensitive on it. I guess you can make the claim that if someone finds a bunch of PER files they could read them at home, but it think that it is a stretch. Seems like judging by the number of people asking for passwords that it is just hindering the intended users.

How do you save the draft if you can't use the same thumb drive in your pers computer and army computer?

You should be issued a protected B usb drive and just scrub it when you go into the office. There should be scrubbers there, I usually just to the LCIS shop right next to mine as they always had a scubber handy.

I don't think it's kosher to have/process Protected B information on your personnal computer... 

Also, once a media is labelled a certain protection/classification level, you can't downgrade it without doing some significant work to it.  You can't plug Protected B media into your personnal computer.

SSM is right.

I don't get why everyone is desperate for CFPAS at home. Write what dots you have, take them home. Type yourself an email with a narrative in it, and take 5 minutes copy/pasting it into the PER format at work, and you're done. Worked for me for 7 years.

Put your narratives and scores in MS Word. Cut and paste the narratives and copy the dots. Way easier to modify and correct, in MS Word, also.

SupersonicMax said:
I don't think it's kosher to have/process Protected B information on your personnal computer... 

Also, once a media is labelled a certain protection/classification level, you can't downgrade it without doing some significant work to it.  You can't plug Protected B media into your personnal computer.

Reservists don't have the luxury of doing it at work. Lack of computers and time preclude it. The only way to complete them is at home. That's why they made the CFPAS program downloadable to your home PC.

I print out the dots at work and write the narritive at home in an email. Hit that little airplane up in the corner and it waiting for my the next morning! I redact as I go (MCpl Xxxxxxx) and I do this with the right amount of letters. Not so necessary now, but when we were filling the whole page, if I typed Cpl X at home 3 times and then copied and pasted at work - Cpl X became Cpl Laughtenschlager. Bring on the yellow!

Plus I have a Mac. There is no CFPAS option for us Mac users!

macaronicaesar said:
Recently reformatted my PC and lost my CFPAS install as a result.

Can someone kindly PM the download password.

PM Sent.  Cheers!

recceguy said:
Reservists don't have the luxury of doing it at work. Lack of computers and time preclude it. The only way to complete them is at home. That's why they made the CFPAS program downloadable to your home PC.

I am fairly certain you cannot process Protected B information on personnal computer.  Using Word and not using identifiable information is probably the best way to go. Being a reservist doesn't absolve someone from adhering to security directives/instuctions.

SupersonicMax said:
I am fairly certain you cannot process Protected B information on personnal computer.  Using Word and not using identifiable information is probably the best way to go. Being a reservist doesn't absolve someone from adhering to security directives/instuctions.

There is actually specific instructions that allow you to use CFPAS at home. You can fill out the dots and complete the narrative. As long as you don't fill out any of the tombstone data, nor use the member's name in the narrative, then the document is not PROB. You can then email it back to your work computer, finish processing it, and save it PROB to a stick.

It's not because he's a reservist, it's because it's within the rules.

Key words are the document is Protected B "when completed". Not complete without tombstone.

All of the references (yes, the CFPAS help guide) say that we are to use "bulleted lists". However, in the "Performance" section of the guide, it gives two examples, both the same sentences, with one using bullets and no-text wrap, and the other example has no bullets and does use text-wrap. At my last unit, we did not actually use bullets (dashes 'd'), but apparently, at my new unit, they did use bullets last year.

So I directed everyone here to NOT use bullets, but now I've been directed that unless I can find something that says NOT to use bullets, I'm to get everyone to re-write their PERs with bullets (dashes) in them.

If anyone can clarify this or even better provide with an actual reference it'd be much appreicated.

Cheers

I can't help you.  But I didn't use bullets this year and I know we didn't last year either.

It never ceases to amaze me how our organization can always fuck up the simplest things.  We actually work really hard at it.

No bullets used here either.

Although I did see PERs from units that did use them.  Either way is acceptable.

To be clear, 'whatever' unit standard is chosen - I didn't see PERs from the same unit using both standards rather each unit's PERs were all of one or all of the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back