• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

Your personal exemption is the part of your income you don't pay tax on.  It's around $9,000 right now.  If you're using tax software, it should put it in for you, if you're using printed forms from CRA, I believe it's written right on the form.

To use nice round numbers:

If you make $30,000 you get to subtract the ~$9,000 from that and you only pay tax on ~$21,000.  (Like I said, round numbers, don't remember the exact amount.)

If you're really really new at this, either get someone to help you who has done it before, or take your stuff to a tax place.  It's not that hard, but the first time you do it, you should get some help if you don't understand.  The computer programs are great, but you still have to understand what's being done.

Sweet, so basically I guess the consensus is, there is no magical thing we can claim on our taxes to get a larger refund without getting audited, sounds fair enough to me.

PMedMoe said:
Can dry cleaning (DEUs) can be claimed ? (with receipts, of course).

Nope - same thing as for haircuts, shoepolish..... and gas to get you & your car to the base every day.

These are +/- included in your basic personal exemptions and that 1000$ Employment expense deduction

In regards to RRSP contributions I had a friend of mine that did this as a good practice for a life in the military:

Everytime he got a pay increase (pay level up, cost of living adjustment, etc..) he would tas\ke half of the new monthly addition and add it to a predetermined RRSP account.  He would never "miss" the money as he didn't have it anyway, and by the end of your 20 (25) years in you'd have a nice monthly installment going in towards your future.

I'm having second thoughts about joining up after seeing the pay scale. A private only makes $30K? Does that increase at all after BMQ?  No offense to those currently serving at this rank, but I make almost $8K more in my civilian job. That's a huge cut before promotion to Corporal, which takes what 2-3 years to get to?

Now does the fact that I am semi-skilled for my MOC make a difference?

What did you expect the pay to be ?

I'm sorry that 8k a year is a "big drop" for you but does your civvie job include free healthcare, free dental, free prescription drugs. Does your job provide all the clothing and tools for your job, pay for all the training, has a pension plan and more time off a year than you can shake a stick at ? Does your job pay for any continuing education you may wish to take ?

Does your job arrange for compassionate leave and pay for compassionate travel if something was to happen to a dependant ? Does your civvie job take you all over the world at no expense to you ?

Yeah...i didnt think so.......

Never mind the fact that if you're joining up for the pay, you are RTF out of 'er.
We would be better off without those who care about the paycheque.  Perhaps if you truly want to serve your country, take note of the above reply, and give your head a shake. 
Maybe you're just curious about pay, if so don't worry, you'll be making over 40K as a PTE 3 after 2 years.

Ok, I'm sure he feels terrible now.  Can anyone answer his actual question?

Also, for all you know he might be in a situation in which he really needs that $8,000 a year to make ends meet.  If not then your harsh comment are well deserved but I feel I should at least ask, "Do you really NEED that $8,000 Canuck?".  Because if not, then they are right, the opportunities and benefits the CF gives you are much greater than most if not all civilian professions.  Unless your an Astronaut, your not right?  ;)

Good luck with it, Kyle

UnrulyCanuck said:
I'm having second thoughts about joining up after seeing the pay scale. A private only makes $30K? Does that increase at all after BMQ?  No offense to those currently serving at this rank, but I make almost $8K more in my civilian job. That's a huge cut before promotion to Corporal, which takes what 2-3 years to get to?

Now does the fact that I am semi-skilled for my MOC make a difference?

30,000/year is pretty good for an ENTRY LEVEL position in just about any organization. Plus GUARANTEED  pay increases yearly which will see you making over 50,000/year as a Corporal. That's not counting everything CDN Aviator noted.

But if it's just about the money then I suggest you stay where you are, I don't think you will be to happy in our little club.

Hey apologize for my remarks. I don't mean to offend. And I do want to serve my country. I'm not in it for the money. It's just with today's standard of living in some parts of the country, that could make things tight. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means..... I live by myself in a 1-bdrm apartment. I just meant to say that I finished school last year and I have a large student loan to pay off. I'm just being realistic, not pessimistic. Now maybe the pay scale doesn't take into the fact that that the rates shown are AFTER taxes, because if it is, I can understand that.

UnrulyCanuck said:
Hey apologize for my remarks. I don't mean to offend. And I do want to serve my country. I'm not in it for the money. It's just with today's standard of living in some parts of the country, that could make things tight. I don't live an extravagant lifestyle by any means..... I live by myself in a 1-bdrm apartment. I just meant to say that I finished school last year and I have a large student loan to pay off. I'm just being realistic, not pessimistic. Now maybe the pay scale doesn't take into the fact that that the rates shown are AFTER taxes, because if it is, I can understand that.

Money you get paid while attending your "basic training" is yours, as rations and quarters are covered. Once you are finished basic and get your first posting you can live in quarters and eat to your hearts content at the mess hall! With a little planning and sacrifice you could probably eliminate most or even all of your student debt.

As for pay scales, unless something has changed the pay shown is gross, not net.

Being a Class B reservist, I make close to $50K straight out of college... I couldn't ask for a better job, with decent benefits and the chance to make more money while travelling around the world.

Carp; and I thought that I was doing very well at $3900 per annum when I joined..... I always had money in my pocket, lived in shacks and had a great time (plus the medical and dental etc that we definitely needed back then)...

A couple of good points were brought up about living in differant parts of the Country, out West is more expensive and the taxes in some provinces are higher then others.  Add to the fact that life in the shacks right now are not the optimum and in some bases there is a shortage of shacks that sees troops more then encouraged not to rely on them for too long.  Hence the PMQ's turning into SQ's.  But that will vary from area to area.  Depending on the trade there may be Spec pay involved.  But the points about 30 G starting is a pretty good pay since your first year or so is pretty well booked getting qualified for your trade.  Time off starts at 20 days per year that is week days with Stats a given and depending on your unit or trade usually sees you using 10 days annual for 3 weeks off.  Mind you some trades are more stingy then others with time off.  The dental and medical are great points especially since not all provinces provide dental coverage. Guaranteed pay raises for your first 8 years in that as was pointed out will see you earning over 50K before the 8 years are up.  Speaking of just the money side of it there is PLD for living in higher rate areas and Alberta now gets that.  Tours bring in extra money but I think I speak for most of us in saying that most would do it with out the extra money but hey lets be honest it does help.  One tour in most cases effectively wipes out allot of student loan debts.

I don't do this job for the money.  But the money I make is enough for me to live fairly well on.  More importantly I like to serve, learn, teach. I am mentally and physically challenged, and more importantly made aware of my own limitations and how to overcome or work with those limitations.  I could of done allot of other things in life but I don't see myself enjoying life and my job as much as I do now.  And I am the first one to correct any of the younguns who go on about what the Army will qualify you for that you can use on Civi street.  Yet it still will boil down to if you enjoy your job do it, if not then do something else, the choice is always yours.

Em hate to say this but if pay is the top of your priority list, I think you make a poor candidate for the forces. I'm not saying money means nothing but having 30k a year in the forces is plenty to live comfortably. If you want a challenge, If you want to serve your Country, If you believe what your doing is what you love than I'd say It makes up for that 8k.  The forces is not for everyone, so if this isn't true, that's ok, just keep your civi job because once your in, people count on you

My friend,

You will find that in the grand scheme of things that extra civvie pay does not make up for the expertise, life experience and skills you gain in the CF.  I went that route and have regretted almost every minute of it. 

Looking back - I "could" have taken a cut in pay, live on a tight budget for a few years, while reaping the enormous benefits the CF has to offer.  Not to mention that I would gladly give up 30-40% of my income right now if it meant I had lifetime job security, cool work and lived in a brotherhood that the CF offers.  You will NEVER find that in a civvie company - how many of your coworkers you know currently will step in front of a bullet for you?  Most would probably throw you in front of harms way to protect themselves.

8k may seem like a huge cut but in the grand scheme of things you will earn the difference back many times over.  Also consider, on civvie street your 38k salary could be gone with little to no notice - that will never happen with the CF.

Clearly priorities rule but if there is a will, then there is a way.  In high lifestyle cities, you can rent a room/apartment in a house for fairly cheap (assuming base housing is full), even in Toronto.  You just have to look a little harder.

J

Also, if you are posted to an area of the country with an identified high cost of living, there is a benefit called PLD if you live in PMQs or on the economy (off the base, not in Single Quarters).  If you search 2008 PLD you should be able to find the current fiscal year PLDA (PLD Areas) and PLD amounts. 

As others have noted, pay shouldn't be the deciding factor in making the decision to join.  However, as still OTHERS have noted, it does have an effect.

Take another look at the pay scales - although you will be starting at $30K (whilst learning a trade which you would have to PAY for on civvie street), the pay quickly climbs to very acceptable levels.  The days of soldiers frequenting food banks (which days I lived through - and even THEN, nobody with a lick of common sense needed to visit a food bank) are long gone.

The $30K is simply the starting point - look beyond it to the future, even if you don't progress past the rank of Cpl in your career, you'll be making a comfortable living.

Best of luck to you.

Roy

...also another point to make.  We are living in good economic times "right now" so job are a plenty, but when the next recession hits (and it will), the value of job security and steady pay will be held in even more esteem than an 8k difference.  I lived/worked through 2001 in IT and had many friends lose their jobs, cars, condos, etc.  My CF buddies were still happily cruising along during that time and although they made less money - in the end they were ahead financially.  Remember though, this is a benefit and shouldn't be used as the top priority for joining the CF.  Duty and Honor first, benefits a distant second or third.

J

Back