• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

Haircuts, dry cleaning, shoe polish and all that wonderful stuff are "personal expenses"... the same as the fuel you burn on your way to work each morning.

You already have basic personal exemptions...... if you claim it a second time.... you're double dipping.

For the value of whatever saving you're going to eek out by claimnig this stuff, it's not worth it.

Piper,
It may be only an issue that your sister has asked to have more taxes taken off during the year..... to receive a refund in time for her vacation.

niceasdrhuxtable said:
So if you hadn't joined the CF you wouldn't wash your hair or brush your teeth?

Nor eat to maintain your required strength to conduct your duties?

Do you claim meals too?

geo said:
You already have basic personal exemptions...... if you claim it a second time.... you're double dipping.

Okay Now what's this? I'm afraid I'm a bit naive when it comes to matters such as these, I've heard about personal exemptions but I have no clue what they are.

SOLDIER702 said:
Okay Now what's this? I'm afraid I'm a bit naive when it comes to matters such as these, I've heard about personal exemptions but I have no clue what they are.

Line 5804  on ON428  T1 Special - 2007

Line 300    on T1 Special (2007)  Revised Schedule 1

In order to claim haircuts, etc you need your employer (DND) to sign a form - Conditions of Employment - stating that these expenses are required for your job. Good luck getting anyone with signing authority to put their signature on the form. Every year we got the same questions from clients and our answer was always the same....not entitled. If you want to claim it, be prepared for a tax audit and the associated penalties that come with it. And I know, lots of people claim it and don't get caught. I personally would not want to take the chance of them auditing me and then looking at previous years returns to see if I made the same claims!

Piper, as I stated.  I talked with pay people in the past and made sure that I was happy at the end of the year instead of owing.

Keeping in the vein of tax-related inquiries, I've often wondered if it's possible to decline to have your income tax automatically taken from your bi-monthly pay and just pay one lump sum at the end of the fiscal year. Anyone know if this is possible?

simple answer.... nope!
Your employer is obliged to make deductions and remit them either monthly OR bi-monthly

I know that some employers permit modulation of income tax on the pay check (I've ask once to have more taken
to receive more  :p ). I don't think it is legal for an employer to take less then what the government say they have to cut out...

(geo, you're fast :) )

For those with a CF pension and other employment income over 35K, you will need to get the pension crew in Ottawa to take a bit more off or you will end up paying.

This same rumour has been around for decades, and once in a while an official statement comes out to that effect. The last I recall seeing was a few years ago, but in either case and as stated by others above they are not submissible deductions. And while we are on this, Mess Dues are also not claimable as "Professional Dues". If you do so take notice of Yrys comment above about having some cash saved up for the tax man.

A CoC encouraging folks to do this could find themselves facing charges for encouraging folks to commit fraud/tax evasion.

Can dry cleaning (DEUs) can be claimed ? (with receipts, of course).

PO2FinClk said:
If you do so take notice of Yrys comment above about having some cash saved up for the tax man.

I've since found a better way, help by a remark of the new accountant, when she said that by doing that I lost the interests it could have make :
some banks have "virement automatique" (automatic transfer) possible to install into your bank account. I've made some for pension plan, investments,
vacations, etc...

Regarding raising or lowering the amount your employer takes off there's a form you can fill out to amend the amount your employer is required to take.  It's called a TD1 http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/td1/td1-08e.pdf

For raising the amount - You can ask them to take more tax, just by giving them a dollar amount.  This is very useful for Class A PRes folks, if you have another job.

To lower the amount, you fill in the appropriate deductions you plan to claim when you file your taxes (spousal amount for example).  The employer will then use that to recalculate your taxes.  You won't get a refund then (or not as big a refund).

But you cannot say "take nothing, I'll write you a cheque in April."  If you fill out the TD1 and add a bunch of bogus expenses, first, it's called fraud, and second, the next year they'll make you pay quarterly installments.  And they will get the money.  CRA has more power than you can imagine to take money (like right out of your bank account).

But if you seriously want to get less tax taken off, rather than getting a refund in April - talk to the pay office about amending your TD1.  And why not - better in your pocket than the gov'ts, right?

Yrys said:
I hope you have a lot's of moolah tuck away to appease the tax man, if they audit your papers ... because their interest rates and penalties ain't
customers friendly ...

Well I guess I'm out to walmart to go get some clippers and back to the do it yourself haircut cause I don't wanna deal with that even if I can claim it, I'd rather play it safe.

Or better yet, instead of having extra tax deducted at source set up an automatic RRSP plan with monthly deduction through your bank.  Even if you only have $50.00 taken per month, that adds up to $600.00 in year that is earning interest for you, and is a legitimate tax deduction.  So come tax time, you also save from $120.00 - $180.00 in taxes (and will get that back if the right amount of tax was taken by your employer).

Many people get confused with allowable deductions because people who are self-employed can claim some expenses they paid in order to earn income.  For instance, they can claim meals (at 50%) if they had a dinner meeting with a client.  However, the reason for the meeting, who was there, and what was discussed must be well documented.  I am a stage actor/teacher and considered self-employed.  Most of the contracts I make do not have any tax taken at source.  I can claim the business use of my car, business use of part of my home (if using one room as an office), etc.  It may sound great, but it really costs more than being an employee. There is no coverage for sick days or holidays (if you don't work you don't earn anything), a self-employed person has to pay both the employee AND employer portion of CPP - that's double, and even though we don't have to pay EI premiums, we will never get EI benefits.  So if your business is slow or goes belly up... oh well.

It is much better to err on the side of caution when it comes to deductions at tax time.  Or at least get advice from a professional.  Many people have claimed things and have not been caught....yet.  If you are audited (they can go back six years plus the current year) and if they find errors or ineligible deductions, your taxes will be adjusted and you will repay that amount including interest for all those years and a penalty on top of that.  And THAT'S assuming that they don't think you purposely committed fraud.  

Greymatters said:
For those with a CF pension and other employment income over 35K, you will need to get the pension crew in Ottawa to take a bit more off or you will end up paying.

Links that may help to increase deductions:

You can address it directly to the pensions folks, or alternatively through your emplyoer by changing your deductions at source there.

Pensions links:

CF:
http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/pension/intro_e.asp

PWGSC (who actually cut the cheques):
http://www.pwgsc.gc.ca/forces-pensions/text/contact_us-e.html

George Wallace said:
Line 5804  on ON428   T1 Special - 2007

Line 300     on T1 Special (2007)   Revised Schedule 1

Ummm.... okay... when I said I was Naive about this stuff I meant really Naive, can someone define "personal exemption" for me? Cause this stuff seems latin to me

Back