• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay: Statements, Backpay, Benefits, Deductions (Taxes, T4), Deployed ect... [MERGED]

Good evening,

I am not entirely sure if this is the correct place for this question, so please forgive me if I am mistaken.

I have recently begun working for the primary reserves as an armoured recce NCM. I have worked 2 full days and 2 half days. Now, from what I know the pay is $90 for a full day and  $45 for a half day for me where I am. When I add that up I get $270 minus my deductions. Now, the problem that confuses me is that I received my direct deposit today which was $44. This is my first paycheck from the CAF and if anyone could help me understand if I am missing something that would be phenomenal.

Thank you,

KyleJ

KyleJ said:
I have recently begun working for the primary reserves as an armoured recce NCM. I have worked 2 full days and 2 half days. Now, from what I know the pay is $90 for a full day and  $45 for a half day for me where I am. When I add that up I get $270 minus my deductions. Now, the problem that confuses me is that I received my direct deposit today which was $44. This is my first paycheck from the CAF and if anyone could help me understand if I am missing something that would be phenomenal.

To add to the above, you may wish to check to read this. ( Not included in this thread. )

Reserve pay dates 
dapaterson said:
You'll be paid in arrears on the 15th and last days of the month.  If those dates fall on a weekend or holiday, you'll be paid on the preceding working day.

How does that work?  In broad terms, if you work between the 1st and 15th of the month, you'll be paid at the end of the month.  If you work between the 16th and last days of the month, you'll be paid on the 15th of the following month.

Track your days worked; there can be errors in pay.  If there are errors, you need to report them promptly, since the dates for inputting pay are fairly tight.

Ask your OR for a copy of your pay statement. If you have access to a computer at the unit, you can log into EMMA on the DIN and print off the pay statement yourself.

Based on what you've posted, it appears that you have received 0.5 days pay, of the 3.0 days earned. This situation is normal and discussed in the 22 pages of the thread.

Short answer, use a calendar or other tool to keep track of days worked vs days paid. If everything works properly, the two should add up over a series of pay periods. There are a number of reasons in the class A pay system why a few days are missed on any particular pay. That is why you need to keep track of days earned vs paid.

If 2 or more pay periods go by without days being paid, engage your CoC and OR.

KyleJ said:

Without seeing your pay statement it is hard to say exactly what happened so this is pure speculation. It is possible that not all of those days were captured in the last pay period and that you will see them on your next pay. If I were you I would try to get a copy of your pay statement or speak with your pay clerk and I'm sure it will get sorted.

Cheers,

LogO

Thanks to my slow DWAN connection I was late to the party... looks like we are all on the same page though.  :)

Thank you for the assistance everyone! I will contact my pay clerk and confirm, this all makes much more sense now.. So if I work from the 15th of the month to the end of the month I will not be paid for that period until the 15 of the next month?  :cdn:

That is when you should get paid it.

Do yourself a favour and talk to your CofC about getting access to a computer to setup your EMMA account.  Once you have it go in and setup for electronic pay statements to be emailed to you. My OR refuses to do either as that is a members personal admin and the computers are there for the clerks to get their work done not as general resource for everyone to tie up. 

[Off topic / tangent] I understand resources are limited, but access to the DIN has become a work requirement for most CAF members. Designating one computer for unit members, or one per department/section use is not unreasonable. Even if it's for an hour per / post training would help the majority of the PRes in a unit. [End]

Every battery/platoon/whatever in a unit has computers that the members can access so that is already done.  The problem is most mbrs don't go to their CofC or lines, instead  they show up at OR's expecting the clerks to stop working so they can do their pers admin.  Think of how disrupting that is - I would have to secure everything on my desk and pull it all out again if I let someone use my desk as it is all someone's personal information or classified information.

Don't forget - ORs are classified as Operations Zone with access to authorized pers only.  Using it as a computer lab just doesn't allow for proper security of pers or classified info.

Thank you CountDC,

I haven't been out that long, to forget what it's like to be a clerk.  [:'(

Is there no way to reduce the taxes? I don't have "official" credits to submit with a personal tax credit return or form t1213

I hate it that every tax year I get a refund of a few thousands. I hate the govt keeping my money tax free. How about I keep the money I owe them until tax time, get some guaranteed interest and then pay it come tax time.

I don't even get what formula they are using in the system. It's the same pay every month yet always end up with a few thousand deficit in my bank account and have to wait up to a year to get it back. With the backpay, I bet half of it will be taken in tax (again, on the extreme high side, it's like for extra income they use the highest tax bracket), and next year will probably end up with an additional grand in refund, therefore stuck in the system for a year. Nanny state much? I'm a big boy, I can handle my finances to give the govnt what they are due at the end of the year.

Anything the clerks can do to stop the ridiculous tax withheld?

Messerschmitt said:
Is there no way to reduce the taxes? I don't have "official" credits to submit with a personal tax credit return or form t1213

I hate it that every tax year I get a refund of a few thousands. I hate the govt keeping my money tax free. How about I keep the money I owe them until tax time, get some guaranteed interest and then pay it come tax time.

I don't even get what formula they are using in the system. It's the same pay every month yet always end up with a few thousand deficit in my bank account and have to wait up to a year to get it back. With the backpay, I bet half of it will be taken in tax (again, on the extreme high side, it's like for extra income they use the highest tax bracket), and next year will probably end up with an additional grand in refund, therefore stuck in the system for a year. Nanny state much? I'm a big boy, I can handle my finances to give the govnt what they are due at the end of the year.

Anything the clerks can do to stop the ridiculous tax withheld?

You may be a big boy, but many Canadians are not capable of proper tax planning.  The law requires deductions at source (i.e. employer deducts and pays taxes on your behalf) in order to ensure  that folks are not stuck with a big tax bill at the end of the year that they cannot pay.  If you don't have an employer (e.g. you're self-employed), you generally have to pay your taxes quarterly.  The down side of that is that CRA expects you to submit taxes this year, based on what you made last year.  If you make a lot of money in one year, but not the next, you can end up with a hefty bill during a year of lesser income.  You'll get it back come tax time, but it can really bite in the meantime.

However, in answer to your question, if you are getting huge tax refunds every year (i.e. in the thousands), then it would appear that too much is being deducted at source.  The OR can fix this.  You need to fill out a new T1 with a more accurate estimate of taxable income.  If this is done properly, your tax bill/refund at the end of the year should be relatively small. 

Unfortunately, without more information on your specific circumstances, I can't really tell you what factors are leading to your large refunds.  for example:

1) are you regular or reserve?
2) do you have dependants?
3)  do you invest regularly (RRSP or otherwise)?

If you are receiving a large return but have nothing to report on a T1213, or on your TD1, then I'm at a bit of a loss - the pay systems uses formulas as directed by CRA and their Quebec counterparts.  I'd look closely at refundable and non-refundable tax credits on your 2016 return to see where the credits are coming from.

Only other possibility I see is that you've got a side business that is generating losses, which is outside the ability of the pay system to address.

Speaking of CAF pay, will I get an opportunity to file my taxes every April while I'm deployed?

CRA normally offers an extension to deployed personnel. I was able to file my taxes online from KAF so there's that possibility.

Every year, the CAF asks for (and CRA grants) an extension on the filing deadline for income taxes.  This extension, however, NEVER applies to RRSP contributions.  So, although you can file your taxes later, if you want to claim an RRSP deduction, that has be made on time.

For the most part though, filing your income tax return after 30 April is not a huge problem for most Canadians.  Approximately 75% of Canadians will receive a refund every year and if you're getting a refund, CRA really doesn't care if you file late.  If you owe money at the end of the year though, CRA will apply penalties and interest if you file late.  This is where the extension comes in handy as it absolves folks of penalties and interest.

dapaterson said:
If you are receiving a large return but have nothing to report on a T1213, or on your TD1, then I'm at a bit of a loss - the pay systems uses formulas as directed by CRA and their Quebec counterparts.  I'd look closely at refundable and non-refundable tax credits on your 2016 return to see where the credits are coming from.

Only other possibility I see is that you've got a side business that is generating losses, which is outside the ability of the pay system to address.

That's the thing though, it's like the system uses the higher bracket formula, hence deducting taxes at a higher rate than it should be. I don't know what gives. This is especially true when I get extra pay (allowances, promotion backpay, etc) Maybe I should put that I will contribue to RRSP, then don't, or my donations, but don't claim them for the year and carry them forward to next year, and rinse and repeat until I actually claim them. But not sure what the outcome doing that will be.

I find it stupid that it's just 1 checkbox to have MORE taxes kept on the payroll, but it's pretty much impossible to stop the REFUNDS. How about a checkbox for LESS taxes withheld

Only other thing I can think of is that the pay system thinks you're in a higher tax province.

Infant_Tree said:
Do I have to let CRA know when I am being deployed or does CAF notify them for me?

I would not worry about deployments too much until you are in an actual position to deploy, but what they do is give you a letter which you include with your tax return that says you were deployed from X date to Y date. It is not something you need to really worry about.

Back