• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pay FY 07/08

If this does become cumulative - there are going to be some happy Divers, SARTechs, MH aircrew, etc etc.  I think the system will catch on and not allow it to happen.

Sea Duty Allowance and Field Environmental Allowance are ubiquitous to all trades - if you serve on a boat, you get it.  Aircrew, Parachute, Diver's, etc allowance are all trade respective and thus would have their own progression level separate from others.

Zoomie said:
If this does become cumulative - there are going to be some happy Divers, SARTechs, MH aircrew, etc etc.  I think the system will catch on and not allow it to happen.

Sea Duty Allowance and Field Environmental Allowance are ubiquitous to all trades - if you serve on a boat, you get it.  Aircrew, Parachute, Diver's, etc allowance are all trade respective and thus would have their own progression level separate from others.

Regardless of who is eligible to receive the allowance, it's still in the Environmental Allowance section of CBI's, not a separate section like Risk or Hazard allowances.

Inch said:
it's still in the Environmental Allowance section of CBI's,

Sigh... Ok - well, hope it all works out for you guys.  ::)

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
who did you get this email from?

It was sent out by our friendly neighbourhood clerk; I've never actually met the man but he does a good job keeping us in the loop I think.  With the usual "awaiting formal announcement" caveat, of course, but from the other posts it looks like this is old news... sorry for the redundancy.  [back to lurking]

Zoomie said:
Aircrew Allowance is not an environmental allowance - so I don't think it works that way.
Incorrect, Aircrew Allowance IS an Environmental Allowance, same as Sea Duty Allowance or FEA/FOA.

Some provisions will obviously be establish clarity in those in receipt of 2 allowance such as those within TacHel or MarHel. As well clarity will have to be provided for the other Environmental Allowances such as PARA, RESCUE, SUBA & DIVA.

Global National has just reported that the government will scrap the post differential allowance for certain bases.

In their report, they cite Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax as cities where the allowance will be cut. Valcartier is said to be one of the cities where the allowance will be maintained.

no link yet.

touched on in this thread
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/58972.45.html

Below are the... high points and significant changes that were announced at the subj conference earlier this week...

1. PAY RAISE - the pay raise is coming, but most likely not before Christmas.

2. FIELD ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE (FEA) - This will replace FOA. CF Mbrs posted to "Field Units" will be getting a monthly allowance similar to Sea Duty Allowance (starts at $285/mo).  The CDS will designate the units and positions that are entitled to receive this new allowance.  This will be back dated to 1 Apr 07. Units will have to calculate their mbrs eligible time in field units to determine what rate they will be receiving.  Casual FEA will replace FOA and will be raised to approx $24/day.

3. ENVIRONMENTAL ALLOWANCE EQUITY - Accumulated seniority with environmental allowances will be transferable.  If you have five years SDA and you are posted to a designated field unit, you will have five years time credit to FEA. (good news for purple trades).

4. PLD RE-RATIONALIZATION - PLD will be changing in the near future.  Ottawa will become the "standard" city in Canada and will receive $0 PLD.  Any geographical area that has a lower cost of living than Ottawa will also get $0 PLD.  Any geographical area with a higher cost of living than Ottawa will get the difference between Ottawa and that region's cost of living.  This will be phased in over three years (reduced by 1/3 each year until it is at the new and improved level). Officer's PLD reduction will start 1 Apr 08, NCM PLD reduction will start 1 Apr 09.  Pers posted to a new location will get the new and improved level immediately

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=8dd87dba-eba9-4a94-8aa4-a16a210438dd&k=14040

I don't know what is going on with that story, but as a home owner in Victoria, it has my attention.

Whenever I have been on course on TD, my TD would stop when I was in the field.  Does this mean if I go on TD my enviromental allowance stops? 

Spring_bok said:
Whenever I have been on course on TD, my TD would stop when I was in the field.  Does this mean if I go on TD my enviromental allowance stops? 

I always had my Flight Pay and my TD (both)

Max

Spring_bok said:
As I understand TD (and I don't very well), it's one or the other.  TD is better for the member (tax exempt allowance) whereas FOA is taxable.  That's about as much as I understand it.

Having said that, if FEA were to be implemented today, and you are in a designated "field" unit (I wonder if NDHQ will be a field unit? ::)) and you went on TD tomorrow, I haven't the foggiest if one would cancel out the other.  I suppose it would work the same way that a member that gets the sea pay and goes away on TD.  Perhaps a swabbie could answer?  (And by "Swabbie", I mean "Member of the Senior Service")

SupersonicMax said:
I always had my Flight Pay and my TD (both)

Thats probably because usualy, we get TD because we are away flying.  Although, Aircrew allowance, sea duty allowance and the new Field allowance sound similar they have a crucial difference.  For us in receipt of full-time aircrew allowance, there are conditions that are above and beyond being in a flying position. I can't wait to see what this new field allowance will look like and how it will be administered.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=8dd87dba-eba9-4a94-8aa4-a16a210438dd&k=14040

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
In their report, they cite Toronto, Ottawa, and Halifax as cities where the allowance will be cut. Valcartier is said to be one of the cities where the allowance will be maintained.

Valcartier maintained, while Toronto, Ottawa and Halifax cut?

If that's accurate, I'm beyond words.

I've been wanting to comment on this thread for some time now, but i've been unsure as to how to say what I wanted to say without ticking someone off.  I've come to the realize that the subject of PLD will automatically tick someone off regardless.  Please take my comments as my opinion and my opinion only.

Just a short rant on the topic of PLD.  I'm convinced that everything combined, Gander is in the top 5 most expensive places to live. (Remember all you nice people who are trying to buy a home in Edm or Van, I said "top 5, not the top...)

Min wage: Tied for second last in the country with PEI.  Only NB is lower.
Fuel prices: $1.20 a litre
Heating Oil: $1.16 a litre
Housing Costs - PMQ: $745 mo / Own home: $170K - $240K
Tax (Prov): Was 16.8%, now believe it or not, 14.7% (give or take a .1%)
Distance to next city: 330Km

Ok, and there is much much more.  The food prices are the highest i've ever seen (probably due to the fuel prices) and in order to drive to a medical appointment outside Gander, you are only reimbursed bus cost - hundred bucks - which doesn't cover fuel cost for the trip. I could go on, but the worst is St. John's (where they send us for medical appointments) receives close on $330.00 PLD at this point.  Corner Brook (the other place they send us for certain appointments) receives almost $100 for God's sake.  Gander? Zip.  Where is the fairness in that?

BinRat55 said:
and in order to drive to a medical appointment outside Gander, you are only reimbursed bus cost - hundred bucks - which doesn't cover fuel cost for the trip.

You've known me long enough to know my answer to this already ...  >:D

Take the bus (even if it is the short yellow one)!!

Other than that, us NBers have magic cows in this province!! 6 bucks and change for milk -- magic friggin' dairy cows!! I know nothing about the cost of living in Gander however, so can't comment on any other parts of your post !!

ArmyVern said:
You've known me long enough to know my answer to this already ...  >:D

You never disappoint me Vern!!

NBers have magic cows in this province!! 6 bucks and change for milk -- magic friggin' dairy cows!!

I hear ya - that is expensive, but that's for 4 Li right?  They don't sell "bags" of milk here on the rock - we pay $4 for 2 Li. Absolutely absurd.

Mods, can we have the threads pertaining to Pay, PLD and Enviromental Allowances split along their topic? It is becoming next to impossible to remain on different subjects are confusing issues of other subjects. Other threads already exist on these subjects.

Pay increase, as announced in CANFORGEN 102/07 last June, it will be retro-active to 1 Apr 07. Collective Bargaining Agreements have not been completed and until that is done nothign will happen. This years DGRMC advised that it would likely be made available until Feb 08. But again, that is mere speculation and should not be relied upon.

As far as recent posts, PLD being scrapped, very old news as that was announced over 1 year ago. I again re-state that this is the reason why the new initiative on the part of DND/CF to create a separate allowance to this effect which would be managed internally. All old news.

Rules pertaining to FEA (IE: TD), likely not but you have to wait for the final product or else you are but disseminating guesses and folks take it as gospel. From the DGRMC conference, the calculation method would use a points system similar to that which is used for Foreign Service Allowances. However some of the direction issued seemed contradictory so would not want to even try to guess the transferability of other allowances as those rules are very liekly to be amended.

My wife works for CRA and they held they ratified the offer as of last night. They recieved 2.5% a year for 3 years

oozieman said:
My wife works for CRA and they held they ratified the offer as of last night. They recieved 2.5% a year for 3 years

Now you have to remember that the Public Service comprises of more than one UNION.  Until all have ratified their contractual concerns, we must wait.

Back