• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

For these Facecloth, hand towel, and bath towel (dark colour), anyone know what size and color would be the best? and Wide Belt, how wide it supposed to be? I assume it should be black.
I am so poor and I can't afford to buy repeated stuffs. even if they pay me $200 in advance, I'd rather to keep it.

your right, artynewbie
about the autobiographies, it is a simple assignment, for someone who can rite good  ;D

klee519 said:
For these Facecloth, hand towel, and bath towel (dark colour), anyone know what size and color would be the best? and Wide Belt, how wide it supposed to be? I assume it should be black.
I am so poor and I can't afford to buy repeated stuffs. even if they pay me $200 in advance, I'd rather to keep it.

we got issued a wide belt, its OD and kind of looks like a riggers belt (without the leg straps or d-ring) actually alot better than the dress belt, for the combats, I imagine this wide belt they want you to buy is for your civilian pants, and I brought grey civilian towels, guess what, they stayed in my suitcase the entire time, I think its for if you go on weekend leave, to the beach or whatever, your not using your issue towels... so much obsessive compulsive...sorry ment to say "attention to detail" (I was like that at basic, its called a game for good reason, but its suppose to instill comradery and disipline, once your done and QL3 qualified its a lot different, you still pay attention to detail, but it will be what matters, your rifle, your trade, all the small things you pack for the field to make life easier and not so much about a set of towels.

Brazil_66 said:
we got issued a wide belt, its OD and kind of looks like a riggers belt (without the leg straps or d-ring) actually alot better than the dress belt, for the combats, I imagine this wide belt they want you to buy is for your civilian pants, and I brought grey civilian towels, guess what, they stayed in my suitcase the entire time, I think its for if you go on weekend leave, to the beach or whatever, your not using your issue towels... so much obsessive compulsive...sorry ment to say "attention to detail" (I was like that at basic, its called a game for good reason, but its suppose to instill comradery and disipline, once your done and QL3 qualified its a lot different, you still pay attention to detail, but it will be what matters, your rifle, your trade, all the small things you pack for the field to make life easier and not so much about a set of towels.
The reason you buy towels and what not to bring with you is that it can take up to 4 days to get your kit, thats fine if you don't plan on showering for the better part of a week.

I go Sept 10 and so far I am just going to bring the following:

Civi clothes inc. wide belt - 4 pair
Lint brush (the rolly kind) - 2
Mr. Clean Magic erasers - 2
Facecloth, hand towel, and bath towel (dark colour) - 2 each
Clear hockey tape (emergency lint remover, kept in pocket) - 1 roll
Alarm clock with batteries - 1
Notepads/pens with FMP cover http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=9 - 1
Digital watch with watch cover http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=71 - 1
MP3 player - 1
Digital Camera with case - 1
Black Sharpie - 1
Novel - 3 (trilogy)
Photograph - 1 (frame purchased at Canex)
Letter paper, envelopes and stamps
Shower sandals
Sweetfeet insoles for my boots

I think that's all.  I'm sure something else will come to me later.
I figure I'll buy the rest of the items at Canex since I've heard from guys just finishing BMQ that a lot of times, items need to be the same as your platoon members.  No big deal if I have to buy my stuff there anyway really.  Less to travel with and something to do while others are most likely buying their items too.  Either you buy it now or buy it there; either way the money will be spent.

Happy shopping and good luck!

PS.  A question about the belt.  If this is just used for our civi attire, I will be buying a quality fashionable belt.  Since we are issued a belt anyway for course is that what this is used for?  I don't want to spend a lot on a good belt to then be rolling around in the mud with it.  I just thought now that I guess if that's the case I can always buy a new belt at Canex.  Anyways, Thanks.

Testify said:
I go Sept 10 and so far I am just going to bring the following:

Civi clothes inc. wide belt - 4 pair 2 Pair (nice casual pants, and a pair of decent jeans, a golf shirt, and a dress shirt (the casual pants and drees shirt you'll wear there)
Lint brush (the rolly kind) - 2
Mr. Clean Magic erasers - 2 (why)
Facecloth, hand towel, and bath towel (dark colour) - 2 each
Clear hockey tape (emergency lint remover, kept in pocket) - 1 roll
Alarm clock with batteries - 1
Notepads/pens with FMP cover http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=9 - 1
Digital watch with watch cover http://www.cpgear.com/default.asp?mn=1.19.56&f=pd&pid=71 - 1 Again why
MP3 player - 1
Digital Camera with case - 1
Black Sharpie - 1
Novel - 3 (trilogy) why you wont have time to read trust me (maybe 1 for the plane ride)
Photograph - 1 (frame purchased at Canex)
Letter paper, envelopes and stamps
Shower sandals
Sweetfeet insoles for my boots (good call)

I think that's all.  I'm sure something else will come to me later.
I figure I'll buy the rest of the items at Canex since I've heard from guys just finishing BMQ that a lot of times, items need to be the same as your platoon members.  No big deal if I have to buy my stuff there anyway really.  Less to travel with and something to do while others are most likely buying their items too.  Either you buy it now or buy it there; either way the money will be spent.

Happy shopping and good luck!

PS.  A question about the belt.  If this is just used for our civi attire, I will be buying a quality fashionable belt.  Since we are issued a belt anyway for course is that what this is used for?  I don't want to spend a lot on a good belt to then be rolling around in the mud with it.  I just thought now that I guess if that's the case I can always buy a new belt at Canex.  Anyways, Thanks.

Some of my why's are really just that, not sure why you need the magic erasers (and yes my wife swears by them), not sure why you need a gold old rambo commando watch cover, and really clothing wise, you need 4 days worth of clothing, most guys can make a pair of jeans last 2 days (around day 2 is when you'll get you're kit anyway) once you are allowed out its only for weekends, how much clothing do you need. You may take this as sarcasm, I'm just trying to save you a little pocket jingle, and some packing space.

Well I know you have cleaned some decks in your time so you will appreciate the magic erasers while you are back down on your hands and knees in St Jean.

The green scrubbies work just as well, and them you can stick to your boots/shoes whatever and save your self from the PER position for great periods.

Well to answer your comments.

The clothes I put 4 pair because that`s what it says on my joining instructions.  I`m assuming since the weekend consists of 2 days that 4 pair will be more than enough, however I don`t want to go out to a bar or around the town in my casual pants and golf shirt.  Not that I don`t like golf shirt.  I have many of them it`s just for bars I prefer not to wear them.  So I guess 3 pairs will do.  1 casual, 2 for going out in.

The magic clean erasers I was told were a really good idea to have; they are small and work wonders.  Plus my Mom already bought me some, haha.

The watch cover - I just read on this thread and thought meh for 15 bucks, why not not keep my watch clean?

As for the comment about the books.  I assumed I would not get through all them, but it`s a trilogy in a box so I wanted to keep them together.. heh.  And not having time?  I recall reading a post on this forum not too long ago about a guy in basic who was sitting watching movies all day drinking beers on a Sunday.  Is that not free time?  If not then I`ll stick to 1 book for my train ride.  The ride is 9 hours long though so I might bring 2 if I`ll have time to read the 2nd at BMQ.

Thanks and get back to me with your thoughts.

The watch cover its up to you, I bought one 10 years ago its sitting in a box somewhere, I didnt find it much use. The joining inst say to bring 4 days worth of clothing which really means just that enough clothing to get you through a maximum of 4 days. (I highly suggest about 6 days worth of socks and underkeks, (lots of sport socks, they work wonders underneath the grey wool socks you'll have to wear).
The rest of the stuff is really up to you it's a matter of personal choice, and of course suitcase size. I suspect the guy who was drinking beer and watching movies all day on Sunday was probably also shining boots or ironing kit (I've been known to do that). I'm taking my laptop and a few DVD's for just that reason theres really nothing better than sitting in the Bistro(although I'm probably not allowed in this time) watching a movie sliding back brewskis making your boots shine. Best of luck to you on your course (i'll need it)

Unless its changed since I was there in Feb...all students go to the Bistro.  Even the BOTP Grad reception was in the Bistro.

Once they completed BOTP (now BOMQ), and started SLT, then they joined us in the Officers, WOs and Sgt's Mess.

Brazil_66 said:

thanks for the suggestion

ArtyNewbie said:
The watch cover its up to you, I bought one 10 years ago its sitting in a box somewhere, I didnt find it much use. The joining inst say to bring 4 days worth of clothing which really means just that enough clothing to get you through a maximum of 4 days. (I highly suggest about 6 days worth of socks and underkeks, (lots of sport socks, they work wonders underneath the grey wool socks you'll have to wear).
The rest of the stuff is really up to you it's a matter of personal choice, and of course suitcase size. I suspect the guy who was drinking beer and watching movies all day on Sunday was probably also shining boots or ironing kit (I've been known to do that). I'm taking my laptop and a few DVD's for just that reason theres really nothing better than sitting in the Bistro(although I'm probably not allowed in this time) watching a movie sliding back brewskis making your boots shine. Best of luck to you on your course (i'll need it)

Cool thanks!

I was going to bring my laptop too, with movies and games.  I was told they have a tv room with tons of DVDs.  I'm assuming you can't drink in there though eh?

Correct  ::)

The Mega is not a university dorm...just think "military basic training" environment.  IF and when you are allowed to drink in the Mega, it will be confined to the Bistro.

Testify said:
Beer prices reasonable? (sorry, had to ask)

I didn't belong to that Mess.  Mine was by B Div.

Is this REALLY what you are most concerned about?  ::)

Mud Recce Man said:
Unless its changed since I was there in Feb...all students go to the Bistro.  Even the BOTP Grad reception was in the Bistro.

Once they completed BOTP (now BOMQ), and started SLT, then they joined us in the Officers, WOs and Sgt's Mess.
Thanks for the info ( I was last there in 1997 and it was different back then) But seeing as you've been there recently.... OCdT's still living on the blue side??

Back