• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Right on...keep the sense of humour, it will help you take all the fun and games at BMQ in stride!

Ok so heres the thing. I know I will be losing weight so that being said, what do you pack for civi clothes? Also what did you wish you had for basic that woulda helped you out.  Also any hints to survival in basic would be great. Heading to basic august 1st for satrt date of august 3rd.

Just wondering if anyone else is confirmed for BMQ in Meaford for July 13th?  I am getting everything packed and have been pretty excited and nervous for it to start.  It would be great to know of some other army.ca members heading up as well. :salute:

Matt

I was supposed to be on the July 13th course for Meaford but got bumped to July 20th at Fort York Armoury :(

Good luck to you bud!
Make the best of Meaford :)

I feel your pain.  I was initially slotted for July 1st then got pushed back to the July 13th date. At least you were able to get on a course for the summer.  Have fun!

I'll be at Meaford for the July 13th course as well. Really excited/nervous all at the same time  :) Getting kitted tomorrow morning too because I was away all of June.

It is definitely an exciting time.  I just want it to start so I can stop thinking about it, lol. Where are you coming from? I am driving up from London. 

Getting kitted up is fun experience. Get ready to collect A LOT of gear. If nobody is going with you, make sure to triple check what you have before you sign off. You will be responsible for whatever you sign for. 

If you have any questions about the kit or what to bring, shoot me a message. I would be happy to help. 

Matt

I wasn't 100% sure what else we were allowed to bring.  I didn't want to be "that guy" who shows up with 4 bags stuffed with extras. 

I packed all kit list into a duffel bag and my ruck sack, then I took all the extra gear I had left over and threw it into my 2nd duffel bag.  since I am driving myself, I am going to bring the 2nd duffel bag up just incase they scream for something that we didn't know we needed to bring (or I somehow forgot to pack).  My one problem is that the kit list that I was provided with is for BMQ (L), so I have no clue how different the list is for BMQ.  That's why I figured I would play it safe and bring everything. 

I didn't have a specific list for personal items, so I just packed sun screen (2 cans), shaving cream (2 cans), razors (12 pack), body wash (2 bottles), a new tube of toothpaste, mouthwash and some random meds (Advil, blister patches, etc).

I will probably bring an extra set of civi clothes, aside from the outfit I am wearing there, just in case we get a hall pass for a weekend. 

Other then that........my laptop, cell phone, charger and a good book should round out the packing list. 

What about you guys?  Any ideas or tips would be great.  It's hard to figure out exactly what we need since this is all new to us. 

Apart from the things you listed, I'm bringing...

- Small Toiletry Case (To hold the toothbrush,shampoo,soap,etc for hygiene)
- 4 locks (Email told me to bring 4...)
- Nailclippers
- Laundry detergent and coins (No laundry machine on base at Fort York..We have to go out of base)
- Lint rollers

How many pairs of running shoes are you bringing? They recommend two, is it worth bringing two?
Anyone know the electronic usage policy for reservists at BMQ, I know for RegF, they usually get to use it after indoc.
What is it for reserves?

Good call on the laundry detergent and lint rollers, I'll throw them on my list. 

Everyone recommends to bring flip flops for the shower. I guess they are less then desirable and may leave your feet with unknown diseases if you venture in barefoot :D

I haven't heard much about using personal items.  A unconfirmed source said that we will get about 30 mins a night but it depends on the course staff as well. 

I also made sure that all my kit was marked and my beret was formed.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it done before hand and if I have my stuff done, I can always help other guys get it done quicker.

faivious said:
Apart from the things you listed, I'm bringing...

- Small Toiletry Case (To hold the toothbrush,shampoo,soap,etc for hygiene)
- 4 locks (Email told me to bring 4...)
- Nailclippers
- Laundry detergent and coins (No laundry machine on base at Fort York..We have to go out of base)
- Lint rollers

How many pairs of running shoes are you bringing? They recommend two, is it worth bringing two?
Anyone know the electronic usage policy for reservists at BMQ, I know for RegF, they usually get to use it after indoc.
What is it for reserves?

Smitty_smith said:
Good call on the laundry detergent and lint rollers, I'll throw them on my list. 

Everyone recommends to bring flip flops for the shower. I guess they are less then desirable and may leave your feet with unknown diseases if you venture in barefoot :D

I haven't heard much about using personal items.  A unconfirmed source said that we will get about 30 mins a night but it depends on the course staff as well. 

Smitty_smith said:
I wasn't 100% sure what else we were allowed to bring.  I didn't want to be "that guy" who shows up with 4 bags stuffed with extras. 

I packed all kit list into a duffel bag and my ruck sack, then I took all the extra gear I had left over and threw it into my 2nd duffel bag.  since I am driving myself, I am going to bring the 2nd duffel bag up just incase they scream for something that we didn't know we needed to bring (or I somehow forgot to pack).  My one problem is that the kit list that I was provided with is for BMQ (L), so I have no clue how different the list is for BMQ.  That's why I figured I would play it safe and bring everything. 

I didn't have a specific list for personal items, so I just packed sun screen (2 cans), shaving cream (2 cans), razors (12 pack), body wash (2 bottles), a new tube of toothpaste, mouthwash and some random meds (Advil, blister patches, etc).

I will probably bring an extra set of civi clothes, aside from the outfit I am wearing there, just in case we get a hall pass for a weekend. 

Other then that........my laptop, cell phone, charger and a good book should round out the packing list. 

What about you guys?  Any ideas or tips would be great.  It's hard to figure out exactly what we need since this is all new to us. 

You probably won't need 2 of everything. Lots of razor blades are good. I was able to get by on a 2 month course on just 2 bars of soap, 1 bottle of shampoo, and 1 can of shaving cream. Advil is good, try and get the extra strength Muscle and Joint stuff, you'll need it, especially in Meaford.

The kit lists for BMQ and BMQL are identical. Pack everything on it or you're not going to have a fun time  >:D

As with electronics, you're allowed to bring a cellphone and laptop but trust me when I say this, your evenings will likely not be over untill 2100 and then you'll use that time to study, clean your weapons, and most importantly sleep. Lock that shit up during the day in your closet/personal storage/barrack box and ys, you may only get 30 minutes at night of use.

Shower shoes are a MUST. Last thing you want is warts or Athlete's Foot.

Don't forget, dryer sheets.

Smitty_smith said:

Any time you venture into a public shower you should have shower shoes/flip flops.
The showers will be as clean as you want them, since you (the platoon) will be the ones cleaning them (station jobs!)
Same goes for walking down the hall, etc. Please ALWAYS have something in your feet. You don't know where the people walking down the hall in shoes have been, and to step in that barefoot after... just ick.

If you have room in your kit, swiffer duster sheets are good to have. They help with the last minute pre-inspection dusting.

The one already made is locked? So I can't respond to it.
I was given my booklet and a lot of the things in it are "x" out. Should I not purchase those items or just go off of this list instead. http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page#annex-b
Also in that thread, says a lot of the items can be purchased at the Canex store, should I wait and buy my items there or prepurchase them and bring them with me?
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
Thanks.

Stick to the list in the booklet. Pack lightly. You'll need civvie stuff for the first 3-5 days (depending on your schedule) until you're issued your military items. Then, not again until you're off indoc. (1st 5 weeks.) If I remember correctly, the x means you can bring whatever quantity of that item you feel you'll require. (i.e. Socks, underwear, etc.) Don't bring a crap-ton of clothes. You won't need/use half of them and you'll acquire more clothing while here, guaranteed.

Buy things at Canex if it says to. Starch, detergent, towels, picture frame, etc etc. will have to be uniform throughout the platoon. Minor allowable variances will depend on your specific pl staff.

BeyondTheNow said:
Stick to the list. Pack lightly. If I remember correctly, the x means you can bring whatever quantity of that item you feel you'll require. (i.e. Socks, underwear, etc.) Don't bring a crap-ton of clothes. You won't need/use half of them and you'll acquire more clothing while here, guaranteed.

Buy things at Canex if it says to. Starch, detergent, towels, picture frame, etc etc. will have to be uniform throughout the platoon. Minor allowable variances will depend on your specific pl staff.
Ok thank you for the reply and clarification. Didn't make sense that I should just show up with the shirt on back and that's that lol.

Hey everyone, quick question...

I received my course message for SQ, or BMQ-L, and recieved 2 different kit lists. Neither of these lists mention DEU, which I thought was a must for every course. I don't want to bring them if I don't have to, scuffing the boots and all, but I don't want to be that one guy either...

Also, my course runs through November, so would my course be put on hold to parade or anything on Remembrance Day?

Better safe than sorry. ESPECIALLY if it runs over rememberance day, you'll more than likely have to attend a ceremony at the very least.

I just noticed that the Joining Instructions for BMQ/BMOQ have been updated. For anyone heading off soon it might be worth it to check out what to bring in terms of civilian clothes and miscellaneous items as they have been altered slightly. Now it seems that you are required to buy some of the miscellaneous items from the CANEX when you arrive, but for the other items you are allowed to purchase them beforehand and bring them with you if you like.

Back