• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Packing for Basic [MERGED]

Terry2124 said:
I have been on the CFLRS page and read the PDF on what to bring and what to purchase at the Canex after arrival. I have some questions in regards to civilian clothing.

Casual dress pants, shirt and shoes.  What is the best place to shop? I usually wear jeans and t-shirts. I am assuming preppy or golf shirt with pants would be ok.  I am assuming the shoes should be black and not any type of running shoes.

Bath towel, face cloth and hand towel.  I am assuming I should look for something dark green.

Casual sweater,  anyone have an example?

I have already purchased my alarm clock and iron, I will practice my ironing.

Bathing suit obtained my the QM, is this the Canex?

I do appreciate the help, big thanks.

Bathing suit obtained my the QM, is this the Canex? you get this apart of your kit (once you passed your ExpressTest)

As for what to bring, just bring the items to last you a few days until you get your kit. the only thing i can think of is a good set of running shoes.

Personal pro tip: Be gray, and do what your told, and if you can get away with having extra kit like shaving cream because your instructor gave you a wink saying they dont look in that extra bags for inspection THEN DO IT! If you get army staff... well that sucks .. haha. Lastly, don't be one of those guys that's a pump/crybaby/dramamamma. Just relax.. basic is not a big deal.

Our platoon was given 100 condoms or how ever many is in a Large box and told to help ourselves.

unrelated:
They make great water baloons

Hi everyone.

I just got The Call, getting sworn in in late august and reporting to St.Jean four days later. I hope some of you can share ideas as to what to pack for St.Jean. So far my list has....

1. Picture(s) of son and wife.
2. Spandex/Compression gear (shorts, pants, shirts)
3. minimal civillian clothes... but whats minimal? a couple shirts, shorts, pants.
4. journal book just in case my kids want to know why i was absent when they are older.
5. Cheap sunglasses

.... and this is where i shake my head and wonder whats worth bringing and what will be issued. I dont want to be that jackass that brings a duffel bag, when everyone else brings a toothbrush. Is there anything that you consider to be a 'MUST BRING'. Or anything you brought to BMQ and thought it just took up space and ended up being useless???

All comments are welcome, thanks guys!!

You "must bring" the things that are on the list the RC will give you.

What Kat said.

Also, a few discussions you may find of interest.

Items to bring to BMQ?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/108784.0.html

WHAT DO I BRING FOR BMQ????? 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17329.0

Personal Items Required by Recruits (Regular Force)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/13460.0

Things to bring to BMQ 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18124.0/nowap.html

There are multi threads on this subject and deep, philosophical discussions on the do's and don'ts......you need to do some reading

oops....mariomike beat me to it complete with spoon feeding....

Alright, alright, i was lookng for some discussion, maybe some real time "i cant believe i forgot..." or "it was so silly to bring..."

But ok, thanks for the help fellas.

"Complete with spoon feeding",, ha,  Oh GAP, everyone can pretend to be clever on line, eh?

Of course  ::). The ref always sees the retaliation, never the skeezy play that initiated the retaliation. Ill keep it clean for the rest of regular time... i dont need any red cards!!

Straight from the CFLRS INTERNET SITE......

Annex B part 1 - Required items

Candidates should arrive with the following items but may also purchase them at Canex after their arrival.

Civilian Clothing List and available at Canex Saint-Jean
Personal Items Men And Women Qty

Inexpensive watch 1
Alarm clock 1
Iron 1
Hair net  (If necessary) 1
Hairpins  x
Sport Bras 3
Cotton underwear (same colour) 6

Optional Items Qty

Hair dryer 1
Gray ball cap for summer (must be purchased at Canex) x
Letter paper  x
Note: The majority of these articles can be purchased at the Canex at your expense. 

Civilian Clothing Men
sufficient quantity for four days Qty

Seasonal jacket x
Casual dress pants x
Casual dress shirt with collar (short-sleeved in summer permitted) x
Casual dress shoes x
Casual sweaters  x
Bathing suit provided by QM x
Sports socks (cotton) same colour x
Running shoes 1 set
Sport shoes (non marking soles) x
T-shirts (for sport) 2
Sport shorts 1
Towels (face cloth, hand towel and bath towel) 1 each

Annexe B part 2 – Miscellaneous Items

The following items will be purchased by candidates exclusively at Canex after their arrival at CFLRS. However, you MUST bring your basic toiletries (i.e. soap, towel, deodorant, toothbrush, shaving cream, etc.) in sufficient quantities for the first 3 days. It is recommended to bring a combination or key lock for this initial period.

Miscellaneous Items
Available at the Canex Saint-Jean at your expense (keep your bag after you make your purchase )  Qty

Shoe shine kit:
Kiwi cloths (2)
Black Kiwi shoe polish (two large and one small)
Boot brushes (2) large and (1) small
Case or bag for shoe shine items
x
Combination padlocks (same number) 4
Abus padlock type 85/50 (key) 1
Picture frame 5x7 1
Boot bands 4 sets
Plastic hangers (same style and colour)  20
Starch (Easy on) x
Sewing thread: green, black and white x
Plastic soap dish, same colour as toothbrush case 1
Plastic toothbrush case, same colour as soap dish  1
Liquid laundry detergent, max size 2 litres 1
Lint brush 1
Lint brush refill 1 
Facecloth, hand towel and bath towel, dark color 1 
Wide belt 1

Hygienic items Qty

Toothpaste 1
Mouth wash, max size 750ml 1
Dental floss 1
Non disposable razor with blades 1
Shaving cream or gel, can 1
Deodorant 1
Shampoo, max size 750ml 1
Shower sandals 1 set

stitches I just got my call too the other day and my recruiter sent me an email with the links to the cflrs website that has a large list of things to bring. It also tells you what forms you need to bring, how to get there and other stuff.

Terry2124 said:
You're right. I do want to get what in supposed to need.  My concern is civilian clothing and shoes. 

They do teach us how to iron hopefully.  I tried today and failed miserably. Been watching YouTube videos on ironing. 

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible

I had a laugh at this...I can't iron either but "watching youtube videos" sounds hilarious

Quick question about the bag. I assume we have to store our suitcase in our room. Does it have to fit under our bed or in a closet? Just curious if its better to bring a duffel so you can stuff it into a small space once its been emptied or if a hard walled suitcase is fine.

Actually, you will be told what stuff you may have in your bunk space and the rest will be put in "civvy lockup", a closet or something where you store your suitcase/bag/whatever and have limited access during the course.  Everyone should look the same and could you imagine how things would look if everyone could have their own?

jk_7 said:
Quick question about the bag. I assume we have to store our suitcase in our room. Does it have to fit under our bed or in a closet? Just curious if its better to bring a duffel so you can stuff it into a small space once its been emptied or if a hard walled suitcase is fine.

If you use garbage bags to bring your stuff, you can just throw them away after you get to basic and keep some new ones for when you leave. That way you have a lot more room.

:facepalm:

Back