• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Organ Donation

depending on if they signed some sort of papers saying we could take their organs.

Da_man said:
Because our number of KIAs every year is alarming   ::)
lol, yeah, but you know what I mean... I  think we lose one guy a year about ~~~

I think you'll find that it would be just like the one on your driver's licence. Even though you sign it, the decision is still up to the next of kin. In most cases it's just a formality, but they do have the last say.

If the deceased soldier has authorized the use of their organs for other soldiers then I have no problem with it whatsoever.  In fact I think it's an excellent idea.  Organ donation cards are clumsy though.  How about an addition to the dog tags??

Cheers!! :cdn:

The Army Guy :warstory:

I am not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it :)

I want to donate my organs but in British Columbia organ donor registry is associated with your provincial health care  card number. When I joined, I canceled my provincial medical and have no such number. I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem and how did it get resolved?

Thanks

Organ donation Card.  Google is your friend.  You could put it in your Will also.

Another poster contacted me to add that you could contact the BC Transplant Society for guidance.

In light of the tragedy in Humboldt SK, I decided to get off my butt and register to become an organ donor in the event that I have anything left to offer when I pass. So being in ON I went to the Ontario website and of course since I don't have a provincial health card I could register online. So I wrote an email to see if I could do it personally.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order to formally register in Ontario, you must have an Ontario health card. This is because the registration system is tied to Ontario health card database, and so when someone passes away we can look up using this database to see if a person is register.

Although this is a very helpful tool, it is not the only way a person can go on to be a donor. Regardless if a person is formally, the families of all potential donors will be approached by a Trillium Gift of Life Network nurse coordinator.

In your case, and in other cases where a person does not have an Ontario health card but resides in the province, my recommendation would be to talk with your family and let them know about your wishes. Explain why their support is important to you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
XX

Trillium Gift of Life Network

A search on the DND INTRANET produces a DAOD on organ donations and transplants for living people but nothing regarding registering for donation after death. Do any of the medical folks here have any knowledge of a policy?

cheers!

FSTO said:
A search on the DND INTRANET produces a DAOD on organ donations and transplants for living people but nothing regarding registering for donation after death. Do any of the medical folks here have any knowledge of a policy?

After someone is legally dead, I believe organ donation would be a provincial policy.

This may, or may not, help,

Please visit BeADonor.ca or call The Trillium Gift of Life Network at toll-free 1-800-263-2833 (Canada).
https://beadonor.ca/

END QUOTE

Those were the folks I contacted.
I was hoping there was a CAF policy that would cross provincial lines. Like many things in this country, there are barriers. ???

The pan-Canadian solution would be following Trillium's advice.

Go to a lawyer and sign a limited Power of Attorney - Medical.

Interesting discussion.

Some services will even send a "harvest team" with a LUCAS Chest Compression System in an Organ Preservation Unit ( OPU )  directly to your home.

After paramedics on-scene terminate the resuscitation effort.

"Thank God, the ambulance is here.  But what's that other truck behind it...?"

Attachments

• organ_preservation_unit.jpg
    organ_preservation_unit.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 165
mariomike said:
Interesting discussion.

Some services will even send a "harvest team" with a LUCAS Chest Compression System in an Organ Preservation Unit ( OPU )  directly to your home.

After paramedics on-scene terminate the resuscitation effort.

"Thank God, the ambulance is here.  But what's that other truck behind it...?"

Ha ha. I can't remember the name of the dark comedy where organ harvesting takes precedence over you continuing living.

FSTO said:
Ha ha. I can't remember the name of the dark comedy where organ harvesting takes precedence over you continuing living.

Thanks for taking my post in the spirit it was intended. Dark sense of humour, I guess.  :) Although OPU's are real, and no joke.

Organ donation is a noble thing.

FSTO said:
In light of the tragedy in Humboldt SK, I decided to get off my butt and register to become an organ donor in the event that I have anything left to offer when I pass. So being in ON I went to the Ontario website and of course since I don't have a provincial health card I could register online. So I wrote an email to see if I could do it personally.

Here is their reply:

Thank you for your e-mail.

In order to formally register in Ontario, you must have an Ontario health card. This is because the registration system is tied to Ontario health card database, and so when someone passes away we can look up using this database to see if a person is register.

Although this is a very helpful tool, it is not the only way a person can go on to be a donor. Regardless if a person is formally, the families of all potential donors will be approached by a Trillium Gift of Life Network nurse coordinator.

In your case, and in other cases where a person does not have an Ontario health card but resides in the province, my recommendation would be to talk with your family and let them know about your wishes. Explain why their support is important to you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,
XX

Trillium Gift of Life Network

cheers!

As far as I understand, you can still get a healthcard as a CF member, I looked and didn't see anything that says you can't get the card. Of course you aren't supposed to use the card for covered health insurance through OHIP since that's supposed to be covered by CAF. But from an administrative standpoint, unless anyone can correct me, you should be allowed to get the card and register your organ donation preference.

So this CBC article came out a few days ago, and specifically addressed organ donation of CAF members: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/organ-donor-registry-canada-humboldt-broncos-tragedy-1.4618764

Members of the military, who carry a special kind of health card not associated with their province of residence, must fill out an end-of-life directive to give to their superior officer.

The directive is linked here: http://www.cantransplant.ca/home/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/end-of-life-wishes.pdf

Now, I personally do not agree with the wording in the directive, but is there some scope in the CAF to have a letter similar to this placed in their pers file? Granted, I think it would be difficult for those killed in combat many thousands of KMs from home to actually be able to donate vital organs, but at least there would be something there for an unfortunate non-combat death at home.

Back