• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Media at Repatriation of Fallen

Mr. Dorosh
How about the reporter that phoned the Costall family to ask how they felt about the "latest report" that their son may have been a victim of friendly fire? There has to be boundaries for the media and some how some way this type of reporting has got to be stopped. It reminds me of the rag mags in the grocery store.

The vultures (read media vans) were circling at least at 3pm as I was leaving work today and were probably there much earlier.  They were parked in the parking lot across from the cadet camp and were lined up all along the fence on highway 2.  I was furious.  I was about to call from my cell phone to the MPs but I saw a patrol car turn out and head in their direction as I was approaching the south side entrance.  CTV even had a camera on a boom for heaven's sake so they could zoom in.  How is this not a security threat?  I don't agree with having the media present at repatriation ceremonies but having them stalk from outside the base is probably even worse.  And when would dozens of people lining along the fence or a truck with a camera peering over the airfield fences be tolerated any other time?  Ridiculous. :rage:

That is exactly it folks.

Jack Layton You ask the Prime Minister what he is trying to hide?

Bill Graham You say "We should not be hiding these things, Canadians are proud of their soldiers. They want to express their respect."

Ujjal Dosanjh you as the Liberal defence critic  said "He (The Prime Minister) has lifted a page from the Bush book and borrowed the Bush modus operandi,"

Garth Turner,  Daryl Cramp, Gordon O'Connor, and the list can go on...

I challenge you to make November eleventh a holiday.  A day where absolutely nothing is open.  A day where people must go to the appropriate venue and remember the sacrifice of Canadians for our Country.  

I challenge all Canadian media to block all broadcast of non essential shows, and provide coverage of the days events.  Provide documentaries describing the sacrifice of Canadians Past and present.

It is easy to jump on a bag wagon with a  catchy phrase like "Flag Flap" but let us see you put your ideas and values where they count.

dileas

John Tescione

Granny,

That is absolutly the lowest I've ever heard a news agency stoop to before....Lord only knows how the Costall family is dealing with it, then slap them with this insult, when will it end?

Well obviously the banning didn't stop CTV....they set up their cameras on a mast across the road, 400m or so away.

Anything to get a story I guess.    ::)

Regards

the 48th regulator said:

Jack Layton You ask the Prime Minister what is trying to hide?

Bill Graham You say "We should not be hiding these things, Canadians are proud of their soldiers. They want to express their respect."

Ujjal Dosanjh you as the Liberal defence critic  said "He (The Prime Minister) has lifted a page from the Bush book and borrowed the Bush modus operandi,"

Garth Turner,  Daryl Cramp, Gordon O'Connor, and the list can go on...

I challenge you to make November eleventh a holiday.  A day where absolutely nothing is open.  A day where people must go to the appropriate venue and remember the sacrifice of Canadians for our Country.  

I challenge all Canadian media to block all broadcast of non essential shows, and provide coverage of the days events.  Provide documentaries describing the sacrifice of Canadians Past and present.

It is easy to jump on a bag wagon with a  catchy phrase like "Flag Flap" but let us see you put your ideas and values where they count.

dileas

John Tescione

This should be a letter to the editor man!

Go Tess!

I wouldn't have the balls to make that phone call.  You would?

How about the reporters who recently went door to door in the Edmonton PMQ patch looking for a young widow three hours after she'd been informed her husband had been killed...?  Very classy.

Well said 48th.

I personally like the ban at the airfield let the family receive their fallen surrounded by family and the military family only. Keep it up Steven good decision.

Regarding the Call to Rob's Mom, it was the CP wire service that did the calling. The day after he got home. The comment was actually buried in one of their first stories about the FF investigation that they put on CBC's website (looked in the archive, couldn't find it. I raged about it at the time in one of my other eloquent posts here, though), like it was no big deal that they called  :rage: She had no comment, by the way.

And people wonder why many of us don't want them (the press) anywhere near our coffins and families.

Franko
I cried that day not just for Pvt Costall but for the family, and not because of what I saw on the TV but because of the way his wife was treated by the media.

Teddy R
That was Mrs. Costall and they ended up moving her off the base to a secret location because the media would not leave her alone.
Wookilar
The Canadian Press is still media and they are some of the worst. Now the reporter that call either has no brains or a big set of brass ones.
As you can probably tell this still makes me rage.
The only good thing I can say is the last time I was out at CFB Edmonton all the gates were closed and locked except the one at the guard house and our friendly neighborhood guards were taking licence numbers and wanted picture ID.

Ujjal Dosanjh you as the Liberal defence critic  said "He (The Prime Minister) has lifted a page from the Bush book and borrowed the Bush modus operandi,"

Garth Turner,  Daryl Cramp, Gordon O'Connor, and the list can go on...

I challenge you to make November eleventh a holiday.  A day where absolutely nothing is open.  A day where people must go to the appropriate venue and remember the sacrifice of Canadians for our Country. 

I challenge all Canadian media to block all broadcast of non essential shows, and provide coverage of the days events.  Provide documentaries describing the sacrifice of Canadians Past and present.

It is easy to jump on a bag wagon with a  catchy phrase like "Flag Flap" but let us see you put your ideas and values where they count.

dileas

John Tescione

Haggis said:
This should be a letter to the editor man!

Go Tess!

Absoluely agree 100%

CBC news just had the grandmother of one of the fallen crying because she couldn't make the "ceremony" in person and didn't get to watch it on TV.  Actually, it may have been the grandmother of the widow.

I haven't been paying attention I guess - what more do they do at this "ceremony" other than slow march the casket from the plane to the hearse?

Revolting - they had 5 full minutes on the news about this "scandal" - and it was an abbreviated newscast due to the playoffs.

Ujjal Dosanjh you as the Liberal defence critic  said "He (The Prime Minister) has lifted a page from the Bush book and borrowed the Bush modus operandi,"

I challenge you to make November eleventh a holiday.  A day where absolutely nothing is open.  A day where people must go to the appropriate venue and remember the sacrifice of Canadians for our Country.

I challenge all Canadian media to block all broadcast of non essential shows, and provide coverage of the days events.  Provide documentaries describing the sacrifice of Canadians Past and present.

It is easy to jump on a bag wagon with a  catchy phrase like "Flag Flap" but let us see you put your ideas and values where they count.

dileas

John Tescione

Letter to the editor, aye...

Or a Ruxted editorial...

Michael,
I wasn't going to log in tonight but instead enjoy an evening off but I just finished watching that jerk-off trash eating CBC "newscast".
What a friggin' crock that was, three interviews with distant second something or others and one women standing outside the base whining about the desicion. Then of course Bill Graham doing his whining.......it ended with one small quick line " There are supporters of this desicion though, mostly troops in Afganastan"....now back to hockey..... :rage:

I agree with the governments decision. It's respect for the the fallen and their families, to the media its just another story.What if it was a reporters son would they want the media there asking questions and taking pictures?

RIP boys
cheers!

John Tescione said:

Jack Layton You ask the Prime Minister what he is trying to hide?

dileas

John Tescione

Thank you Tess, a worthy letter subject for any Canadian to write to their MP.

Michael Dorosh said:
CBC news just had the grandmother of one of the fallen crying because she couldn't make the "ceremony" in person and didn't get to watch it on TV.  Actually, it may have been the grandmother of the widow.

I haven't been paying attention I guess - what more do they do at this "ceremony" other than slow march the casket from the plane to the hearse?

Revolting - they had 5 full minutes on the news about this "scandal" - and it was an abbreviated newscast due to the playoffs.

I think it was Bill Graham who in the clip in parliament was saying something to the effect that "the PM needed to reverse his decision so that the country can take part in the mourning..."  HEY BILL, CHECK YOUR CALENDAR, NOVEMBER 11TH IS THAT DAY THAT QUITE A FEW SEEM TO FORGET ABOUT  Did you notice that at the end of that "piece" the anchor mentioned that Steven Harper's decision (media ban) is shared by quite a few CF members in Afghanistan.  That was all that was said.  I think that the responsible thing to do would be to give the public the entire picture OF how CF members feel about this.  Despite the media ban, there was still a lot of footage from the ceremony.

From this morning
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1146001827001&call_pageid=968332188492

But Alberta MP Leon Benoit, in whose constituency Payne lived, said the family didn't want coverage of the event.

Hmmm..... wouldn't it be simpler for all - permit everyone to save face to have "army news" camera crew film and air on CPAC and the Trenton PRO to provide an appropriate number of photos to the press syndicates??...................

don't we have more important things to concentrate upon?

IMHO

People are missing the point here...this is not a "media" issue, this is a "political" issue.  The direction about no media at the ceremonies (and not lowering of the flags) came from, no doubt, the highest levels of Government.  I very much see this as a continuation of the PMO's direction to Ministers of the Crown, Generals/Admirals and other high level officials to keep "on message" - televising the repat ceremony takes the public off message.

The reaction of the media should have been expected...as they have essentially been cut off from access to Ministers or high level officials.  Their comments/complaints about the lack of access to the repat ceremonies is an outlet to continue criticising the Government.

I have a unique perspective here. I am a full-time journalist and an infantry reserve member in Toronto. When I wear the uniform I am army first. Like the soldiers in Afganistan have a job to do so to does the media. The media is one of the institutions that is fundamental to a free and democractic society. The media holds the courts, politicians, and yes the army open to public scrutiny (Such is not the case in China or Syria) Scrutiny of institutions is key to an open and democratic society and fosters public debate, a freedom which many vets have fought and died for during the last 100 years. Do I think the media should be banned from the funerals? I think shooting and filming from a distance like they did was fine. As a CF member, if I was killed on tour I would want my return home covered in the media. I would have given the ultimate sacrifice for my country and I would want that shared with the nation who I gave my life for. There is a price for peace and stability - lives of our soldiers. Why hide that away in a closet like a dirty shame.

Back