• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Media at Repatriation of Fallen

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act (http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409).

http://www.recorder.ca/cp/National/060424/n0424111A.html

Media to be barred from covering repatriation of Canadian soldiers' remains

''OTTAWA (CP) - Media will be barred from the airfield when the plane carrying the remains of four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan lands at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ont.

Miltary sources say reporters will not be be allowed to cover the repatriation of the remains when the aircraft lands at the base Tuesday evening.

In the past, the media have been invited to cover the arrival of the remains of soldiers who have fallen overseas.

On April 1 the media covered the repatriation of the remains of Pte. Robert Costall, an Edmonton-based soldier who was killed in a firefight with Taliban insurgents near Kandahar.

Military sources would not say why the decision was made, but that a news release was to be issued by the Department of National Defence Monday evening.

Department of Defence officials could not immediately be reached for comment. ''

No statement found on DND web page or via CNW as of 1840EDT...

So, is this going to be a one-off, or the start of a new policy?

Found supporting info here http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060416/flag_afghanistan__060424/20060424?hub=TopStories.

Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act (http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409).

Media barred from covering soldiers' return
Updated Mon. Apr. 24 2006 6:44 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The media will be barred from the airfield at Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ont., when a plane carrying the remains of four Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan lands on Tuesday evening.

In the past, television and print media have been invited to cover the arrival of the remains of Canadian soldiers who have fallen overseas.

But sources told CTV News that reporters will not be allowed to cover the repatriation of the remains when the aircraft lands at the base.

Military sources would not say why the decision was made. But a news release is expected to be issued by the Department of National Defence Monday evening.

CTV's chief political correspondent, Craig Oliver, said the government will likely say their decision was made in part to protect the privacy of the families.

But Oliver added it appears the Conservative government is concerned that with the mounting casualties in Afghanistan, the mission is losing the battle for public opinion.

"(The government) is afraid that Canadians, seeing the bodies, seeing the coffins, that the images are so strong it's turning people off on the mission," said Oliver.

"This is very much in keeping with the decision by the George Bush White House to do the same thing in Washington, about the bodies of American servicemen coming back from Iraq."

In 2003, the Bush administration banned media from entering the central military morgue at Dover, in Delaware, where soldiers killed in Iraq are received.

"There won't be any video shown to Canadians of the bodies being returned or the families," said Oliver.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper is not expected to travel to CFB Trenton to meet the coffins when they land in Canada. The Globe and  Mail reports that Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor and Gen. Rick Hillier, Chief of the Defence Staff, will likely be there.

In April 2002, then-prime minister Jean Chretien, the defence minister and chief of the defence staff attended a ceremony at Trenton after four soldiers were killed in Afghanistan that month.

Flag decision

The news comes on the same day that O'Connor defended a new policy not to lower flags on government buildings to half-mast every time a Canadian soldier is killed.

In a Monday letter to The Globe and Mail newspaper, O'Connor said the newly elected Conservative government is returning to a policy where the flag on the Peace Tower is only lowered on one day a year -- Remembrance Day.

"The previous Liberal government broke with this long-standing tradition that confidently brought Canada through its wartime history and instead decided on an ad-hoc basis to lowering the flag of the Peace Tower," he wrote.

"As Minister of National Defence, I can tell you that this adhockery unfairly distinguished some of those who died in Afghanistan from those who have died in current and previous operations.

"Lowering the Peace Tower's flag on November 11th ensures that all of Canada's fallen heroes are justly honoured."

In the event that a soldier dies in combat, flags will be put at half-mast within the operational base, the home base of the member and the National Defence Headquarters from the day of death until sunset on the day of the funeral.

Also, all flags within the service (Navy, Army, or Air Force) of the member will be half-masted from sunrise to sunset on the day of the funeral, the letter says.

The change in flag protocol comes as the bodies of four Canadian soldiers begin their journey home.

Cpl. Randy Payne, Cpl. Matthew Dinning, Bombardier Myles Mansell and Lieut. William Turner were killed in a roadside bomb attack in Afghanistan over the weekend.

The latest attack on Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan will lead to further debate on extending the mission, Liberal Defence Critic Ujjal Dosanjh told CTV's Question Period on Sunday.

"Canadian public opinion is already divided," Dosanjh said. "There's no question in my mind that as more casualties continue to happen, Canadians will increasingly ask more questions.

"It's appropriate for Canadians to ask questions -- they always have. They support our troops. We support our troops. Despite that, there might be questions and we as politicians need to be ready to answer them."

Meanwhile, the mayor of Toronto has made a decision to lower the flag atop Toronto City Hall, beginning Tuesday, to half-mast in honour of the four Canadian soldiers.

One of the soldiers, Cpl. Matthew Dinning, was from the Toronto area.

Flags have been lowered at the soldiers' home bases and at National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.

Canadian flags outside post offices in Edmonton are also at half-mast -- Lieut. Bill Turner was a part-time army reservist who worked in that city as a letter carrier.

"It is important because (Turner) was one of our members,'' Ramon Antipas, president of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers local, told The Canadian Press. "He truly believed in the mission. This is in recognition for what he was doing."

A total of 15 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died since 2002, when Canada first became involved in Afghanistan following the ouster of the hard-line Taliban regime.

<EDITED>
Fixed syntax in first line as indicated

NF Sapper - Thx!

I see the media is dragging in the flag issue, too.  Heard a CBC Newsworld report talking about the half-staffing being done like the USA.

Here we go....

What bothers me is the media seems to think they have a right to be there.

This may be a decision made by someone at CFB Trenton.  It would confirm a story told to me by a friend who remustered Firefighter and was posted there.  It would fall into line with a decision made in parliament not to constantly fly the flag at half mast, which was the policy in Trenton in the very recent past.  But again, it is all speculation on everyones' part and 'another story' for the Liberal Press to print knocking the Conservatives.

No problem, but interestingly can't find this story on CBC.ca

I'm surprised CBC hasn't posted the information tout suite....

As for the media's "right" to be there, yer damned if you do (media get to blow it up and hype the story), and yer damned if you don't (the media talk about "censorship", and go all papparazzo on the event). 

Personally, as long as it's respectful (that's what ground rules for attendance at events are for), I'm OK with media being there.  We complain if the media doesn't cover the military, so when they do, we have to live with the nasty as well as the good.

Wonder if the gov't (bureaucracy) decided, the gov't (politicians) decided, or the families requested it - or a bit of all of the above?  Then again, I guess in a liberal democracy, the buck always stops with the folks we elected.

Maybe they are waiting for confirmation from the Crystal Palace?

Nfld_Sapper said:
Maybe they are waiting for confirmation from the Crystal Palace?

The Crystal Palace is in Visoko........matter of fact..... they are now digging up the hills there looking for pyramids.

I was serious.

As to why the press aren't allowed onto the Base in Trenton, it could have been a decision made at any level.  It could have been the Base Commander.  It could have been the Base Admin Officer on a request from the AMU.  It could have been Air Transport Command.  It could have been the Family of one of the Fallen.  It could have been the CDS.  It could have been the Minister.  It could have been the VCDS.  It could have been the janitor who may have answered a phone call from CBC in error.  Who knows.

It is the policy of DoD to not allow the media to photograph the return of our fallen servicemen and women, perhaps Canada is just following suit. At Dover we dont have the families present , but the families may well be present at Trenton and this policy will afford them to grieve without being on national TV. This may also have arisen from previous ceremonies and the families suggested that in future the media not be present.

All day I saw pictures of the coffins in transit and then I get to hear CTV proclaiming Harper is Bush lite and he's trying to hide the coffins.

they actually used the phrase "Canada's Iraq"........

Rant on:

Once again, I'm fed up and disgusted with the media and their "spinning" of non-issues into something more.  Yet again, TV tonight is awash with "Conservatives won't lower the flag" stories - presented with no background and with plenty of people saying what an "insult" it is to soldiers.  They have no idea what soldiers think of this issue, yet are ready to jump to conclusions in an effort to speak for us.

To the media reading this (and I have no doubt you are):  how much is enough?  You have plenty of coverage of the coffins being put on the plane and I have no doubt you'll have plenty of the funerals - invited or not.  Get a grip.  We are the Army; it is a sad reality that part of our job is to take casualties on behalf of Canadians and our elected political masters - of whatever stripe.  Don't denegrate that sacrifice with an unseemly and politically motivated display of spin designed to promote controversy and generate ratings.  "Canada's Iraq" indeed...

Rant off.

Why is this "change" in "policy" a media issue?? It shouldn't be.

The current governing party is simply reverting "policy" back to it's pre-Afghanistan protocol.

We have suffered the loss of other serving personnel on other missions since 2003, and the flag on the Peace Tower was not lowered for them, nor were their Ramp Ceremonies covered by the national media. Upon my departure from the gulf in 2003, I was honoured to accompany a deceased soldier's return home from Bosnia. Upon our arrival in Trenton...there was no media... and no flag lowered on the Peace Tower although mention of his passing did make the news.

The death of a soldier serving his or her country is always a sombre occasion regardless of the circumstances, either by accident or intentional, and regardless of the location of it's occurrence, be it domestic or deployed operations. All these sacrifices were first and foremost made by volunteers, while serving their beloved country of Canada. These deaths are always treated respectfully and honourably by the Military and are awarded the very same significance and ceremonies regardless of where or how the death occurred. Why must the media feign to differentiate when we don't?

Let us honour our fallen in our traditional way by continuing to lower our flags on November 11th, just as we continue to honour those brave fallen from our Military generations previous, who have passed on the torch to us to continue to uphold. Those brave souls before us were not 'honoured' with the Peace Tower flag at half mast for years upon end; therefore the current government is not "changing policy" it is simply giving us back our traditions.

If the media wishes to 'investigate and cause some action" regarding what they feel is an insult to the Military fallen, perhaps there is a better way to go about it...
Better to be constructive and start a movement to make Remembrance Day, November 11th, the National Holiday of Remembrance it should be. Now that would be something.

Here's a thought for you media types.

Instead of asking Joe and Jane Canadian, the local "used-to-be-in-power" Liberal backbencher, or some left wing university students who can't find Kanadahar on a map, why not ask US, the serving members of the CF, how we'd like to be remembered.

After all, it's our memories you claim are being disgraced in your haste to trample on tradition..

I fully understand the reasoning behind the media being banned. I watched with tears in my eyes, sitting next to my husband when Pte. Costall came home. I have watched this scene over and over again, and each time it gets harder and harder. It was hard to watch Mrs. Costall say her good bye's to her husband with my husband safely sitting beside me. Yes, he's military, preparing for his 3rd tour to Afghanistan in August. I saw him off in August 2003, and January, 2005. I've watched repatriation ceremonies on tv of Sgt. Short, Cpl. Beerenfenger (whom my husband worked with), and Cpl. Murphy (but not Pte. Johnston, who was killed on leave in Africa when he was over in Bosnia...why, because, maybe he wasn't newsworthy enough?? Afterall, it was on holidays, not the sensational stories of Afghanistan).  I have watched all these ceremonies with tears and sorrow for the families, knowing my husband was safe in camp and soon to return home to myself and our two boys.
  Yes, I would watch the repatriation ceremony if it was to be broadcast, because as a military wife, reality, to me is the best lesson learned. I can't think that something bad will happen to my husband, I just can't think that way. We can't fool ourselves that its all rosey and safe over there, because as we've seen 15 times now, it's not!  My prayers go out to the families of Cpl. Dinning, Lt. Turner, Cpl. Payne and Bombadier Mansell. The CF family and extended family shares your grief and pain.

:cdn:

Ladies and Gentlemen
In my own personal opinion. I am glad the military banned the media from CFB Trenton, most of the time it is the first time they see the families and after that point they( the media) think they are fair game. The media have absolutely no respect for the families of the deceased or hurt soldiers or their families. We have seen this time and time again, the accident that took Paul and Tim's lives and left seven other soldiers hurt. Pvt. Costall, Pvt Salikin,MCPL Franklin etc...etc...etc.. These families deserve their privacy. I do and will say they are vultures. So if the government or families or who ever decided to keep the vultures at bay I say GOOD FOR THEM !!

Ladies and Gentlemen
In my own personal opinion. I am glad the military banned the media from CFB Trenton, most of the time it is the first time they see the families and after that point they( the media) think they are fair game. The media have absolutely no respect for the families of the deceased or hurt soldiers or their families. We have seen this time and time again, the accident that took Paul and Tim's lives and left seven other soldiers hurt. Pvt. Costall, Pvt Salikin,MCPL Franklin etc...etc...etc.. These families deserve their privacy. I do and will say they are vultures. So if the government or families or who ever decided to keep the vultures at bay I say GOOD FOR THEM !!
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.  ;)
Seriously, I think we need to be careful not to paint "the media" with too broad a brush. I work in Pte. Costall's home town and I found the home town paper's coverage of his memorial service tasteful and reserved. As well, from speaking to people who attended the service, the treatment "the media" gave his family was dignified and respectful.

To me all this edict prevents is a few seconds of grainy footage of caskets coming off a plane, filmed from behind a chain link fence. To ban that amount of coverage just seems to me to be about the optics of caskets coming off a plane.
All the best,
Bart

Haggis said:
Here's a thought for you media types.

Instead of asking Joe and Jane Canadian, the local "used-to-be-in-power" Liberal backbencher, or some left wing university students who can't find Kanadahar on a map, why not ask US, the serving members of the CF, how we'd like to be remembered.

After all, it's our memories you claim are being disgraced in your haste to trample on tradition..

That is bang-on my friend.  I could not have said it anybetter myself.  Also quick point to non-serving types, if you start to question the mission what does that say to the families of the fallen. They died for nothing?  Those questions should be asked well after the mission.

Back