• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

No Media at Repatriation of Fallen

Well said, and I can only imagine the outcry that would go up on this site if the casualties had not been reported at all.

probum non poenitet said:
Call me crazy, but instead of careerism and the mighty $$$, if the media (and politicans) got their heads around truth over sensation, reasoned debate over the sound-byte, we would have a better society.

Dreamer!  ;)

probum non poenitet said:
Likewise, if the public spent several hours reading well-researched arguments on all sides before responding to an opinion poll on a controversial topic, we would be better off.

Informed or not, it's all in how the pollster words the question.  Most media polls have a pre-conceived notion of the response they want and they frame the question accordingly:  i.e. asking "Is half masting the flag for CF members killed in action appropriate?" following an emotional news article on Canadian casualties. OF COURSE they're going to get people supporting thier view!

On this topic, how would you respond to the following poll questions:

1. "Is the government right in following the American example in barring media from repatriation ceremonies?" or

2. "Is the government right in respecting the families of fallen soldiers by barring media from repatriation ceremonies?"

Same question. ("Is the government right in barring media from repatriation ceremonies?") Different spin.

(editied because I am at work and was trying to do too many things at once)

The flags and the banning of the media are two separate issues. The flag issue has been covered, and, I, along with most here feel the gov’t is following the correct policy.

However, it is becoming more apparent that the permanent banning of the media from the homecoming was made for political reasons by the gov’t as opposed to DND and I think this is a mistake. The media can be controlled on the base, so there is no in your face camera shoots, and it can be done with dignity and grace (as does the ramp ceremony). Those media that don’t abide by the rules, can be banned thereafter.  Once done at Trenton, the families can be left alone to grieve and bury their love ones.  Banning them just forces them to other locations that can’t be controlled. Remember, the media is the only way a lot of Canadians will have to watch and appreciate the sacrifice our soldiers have made.

I don’t believe the PM is following the US example, but the perception is definitely there. The PM, MND, or CDS for that matter can not attend all the arrivals of the fallen because there will be more, unfortunately probably more frequent as time goes on.  So a cynic might say the banning is in effect because the PM isn’t there. However, I don’t want to make political commentary at this time, because that time belongs to our 4 fallen comrades where it belongs.

I think it's absolutely disgusting, cheap and immoral the way the lieberals are trying to make political hay by using the deaths of our soldiers in their arguments. If I ever needed another reason never to believe them, support them or vote for them, they've just given it to me. lieberal defence critic Ujjal Dosanjh and lieberal MP Paul Steckle should just shut their yaps and let the families mourn with dignity and in peace. They're just playing to the media, and that bunch of buffoons are merrily and cheerfully following along and dancing to the lieberal puppeteer. Kinda like the organ grinder and his monkey, making noise and begging for attention.

Quote from recceguy,
the lieberal gov't is

...missed the recent election, did we? ;)

EDIT:
Gordon O'Conner was just quoted on the radio as saying he did it [banning] for the families, even though he did not consult them beforehand......I'm torn on the whole thing but one thing I do know is the families should have been consulted.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Gordon O'Conner was just quoted on the radio as saying he did it [banning] for the families, even though he did not consult them beforehand......I'm torn on the whole thing but one thing I do know is the families should have been consulted.

If thats the real excuse.. then yes.  Cause the familes are now the scapegoats of a political decision. 

Otherwise, I'm glad to see the media finally put on a leash.  Play nice with us or we dont' play nice with you.
Although government institutions have been an easy and cheap target for the media to hit, the military isn't
like the other services.  When things go bad, people die.  Personally, I don't want a reporter saying anything
to anyone.  That should be my right.

I guess O'Connor's "Social Skills" are going to keep him in hot water in the Public Eye.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Quote from recceguy,
the lieberal gov't is

...missed the recent election, did we? ;)

Actually, I read recceguy's post - he NEVER said "gov't", although "lieberal" was in there several times - unless there was an edit after the fact.

« Last Edit: Today at 16:13:28 by recceguy »

Well of all the lowdown double-dealing snake in the grass sli...........oh yea, getting even for April Fools Day. :blotto: Got my car yet?

well said recceguy! to much grandstanding by a party looking for anything for a comeback! makes me kinda sick actually. I agree with no media. If Canadians want to mourn i am sure they don't need images from a TV to do that.

Hmmmm..... damned if you do, damned if you don't

Consult the families?.... do you do a consult each and every time?.... or set a policy and apply it evenly - across the board?........

I have heard that the media is welcome to attend the ramp ceremonies in Kandahar, the ban was being applied to the receiving end....Trenton. Call me cynical but I figure that, given the media's tallent to dramatize things beyond the Nth degree.... Ramp ceremony in Kandahar + ramp ceremony in Trenton = twice as many deaths to broadcast & fill papers with..... wanna see numbers get blown out of proportion? Each life is precious, each life lost should be mourned - I just don't see the value of earning political brownie points on this matter.

Look at this headline:
Conservative government bars images of Canadian soldiers' caskets
(emphasis is mine)
found here: http://www.canada.com/components/print.aspx?id=0651458c-3df1-4593-9a7a-d9c052000fe1&k=56478&k=3771&source=somnia
Is this manipulation of information or what ?? Nobody said it is illegal to show images of the flag-draped caskets; as a matter of fact, we all saw them during the ramp ceremony in KAF, and I believe these ceremonies will continue if/ when needed.
The Govt simply wants to keep the media away while the Families make their first physical contact with their lost loved one.
I agree with the decision.

CTV tried to pass it off tonight that the "military" was upset with this decision and most
of its members felt upset over this decision.  Can't remember the way they put it
but I was swearing through most of the piece.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060425/flag_afghanistan__060425/20060425?hub=TopStories

I think you can see from the picture's that the media was present in all its glory at the ceremony.

Seeing the media behind that fence like that ,kind of reminds me of the monkeys at the zoo. I suppose I would get in trouble for throwing them peanuts too
The media will always cut to what they think will sell for them, Watching the news this morning, The news is interviewing a police officer at a murder scene, The typical questions, what do we know about the victims? What do we know about the one’s who committed this crime? Next question.So.Can you tell us what the murder scene looked like? 
I guess that’s what sells?

I don’t know if it’s the media is to blame or people’s need for a glimpse of death! For those that want a first hand glimpse of death and emotion, Go volunteer in a hospital ward, or spend some time in a veterans facility.Better yet!plop a bucket on your noggin and go sit in a front fire position for a while.Guaranteed! All!! Your questions about life and death will be answered in short order.

Thank you. parkie

Everyone has their opinions, and it doesn't matter what we say, someone will always disagree with your decision. Thank God, and yes, the military for that ...a democracy. My husband called from Wainright tonight, and was quite surprised that the repatriation ceremony was banned. He fully agrees with the flag not flying at half mast. Like we both said, are you going to lower for someone killed in Afghanistan, and then not lower it for someone killed in Bosnia, etc (which has happened!).
  It is human nature for us to see the grief that is being felt by all the families. And, as shown by CTV, the media was still there, behind the fence, but they were there. Just let this calm down and Afghanistan will be on the back burner again, and eventually, Canadian deaths will not be the lead story, but the "after thought" (I've seen that happen too!!)
  God bless all the military members where ever you serve ...you've done us proud! :salute: :cdn:

It is interesting to see what is know as the "Flag Flap".

I have read articles indicating that there are some hopping mad citizens.  That they have contacted their MPs in protest of our Leader's decision to return to protocol.

Here is a challenge, November eleventh is not a Holiday here in Ontario.  How about all people dedicate one day of their Holiday allotted time from work and visit a parade or commemoration.  Drop by a legion or an Armouries.  Instead of whining about what the government should do, or offer you to remember, I Challenge you to show it by sacrificing one day for your time...

That is the John Tescione "tess rememberance challenge"  of 2006.

Give up a day to remember.

dileas

tess

See you all there this November eleventh.

Tess....my husband was on tour with you that fateful New Year's Eve....1RCR, different coys I believe. I whole heartedlly agree with you! November 11 should be a National Holiday. What member of parliament is going to do the honours and get up and recommend this?? Please tell me again why that "stature" was revoked??
  God Bless!

the 48th regulator said:
It is interesting to see what is know as the "Fag Flap".

I have read articles indicating that there are some hopping mad citizens.  That they have contacted their MPs in protest of our Leader's decision to return to protocol.

Here is a challenge, November eleventh is not a Holiday here in Ontario.  How about all people dedicate one day of their Holiday allotted time from work and visit a parade or commemoration.  Drop by a legion or an Armouries.  Instead of whining about what the government should do, or offer you to remember, I Challenge you to show it by sacrificing one day for your time...

That is the John Tescione "tess rememberance challenge " of 2006.

Give up a day to remember.

dileas

tess

See you all there this November eleventh.
That would be nice,maybe next year there'll be more than just me and my two old buds,my family and the Minister. :salute:

Bruce Monkhouse said:

"Hey, I know your son was just killed overseas and you're going to meet his body today, but I wanted to ask you a quick question...hello...hello..."

I wouldn't have the balls to make that phone call.  You would?

Back