• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Stat Holiday For Shortest Month

super26

Inactive
Reaction score
Rememberance Day is not a stat Holiday but they will make one day in Febuary a stat why not forget about that and make Rememberance Day a stat holiday for all of our past and present comrades who still serve or have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country. :cdn:

Manitobans may soon get a holiday in February.

Finance Minister Greg Selinger said a statutory holiday for the shortest month of the year is under consideration and will hopefully soon become a reality.

"We're clearly open to the idea and encourage Manitobans to come forward and tell us their ideas," said Selinger, noting he'll be carefully examining the issue as he prepares the government's upcoming budget.

Saskatchewan announced on Thursday that a new statutory holiday, called Family Day, will be held on the third Monday in February in that province.

Selinger said Manitobans can tell their MLAs their thoughts about having a similar holiday in our province.

An unscientific survey of Manitobans last night found support for adding a stat holiday.

Standing outside Polo Park, Jeff Meacham said he can't complain about an extra holiday.

"I'll take a day off whenever I can get it," said Meacham, a pilot.

Meacham's friend Ryan Mitchell said he likes the idea of an extra holiday but added the day should recognize an important Canadian figure or event.

"If they're going to set aside a day to celebrate or recognize something then I think it should be something meaningful and not just a day off work," he said.

'COSTS BUSINESSES'

Dave Angus, head of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce, conceded an extra day off would be warmly received by Manitobans, but said the business community would be the one to pay for the idea.

"It doesn't cost the government a cent to do this, but it costs businesses and industries, especially ones that operate on holidays and have to pay staff holiday pay," he said.

That cost would likely be in the tens of millions of dollars. The Canadian Federation of Independent Business told reporters in Saskatchewan that a new stat holiday will cost employers there an estimated $57 million in lost productivity and result in a $130-million loss to the provincial economy.

Opposition leader Hugh McFadyen was lukewarm to the idea of another stat holiday.

"We've got an array of statutory holidays in Manitoba and we have lots of small business people in the province struggling to get by. So I think we'd want to have consultation by small business and other people who'd be impacted by that kind of decision," said McFadyen.

I am pretty sure that we have stats every month in Ab...Maybe they figured that was a good idea??

241 said:
I am pretty sure that we have stats every month in Ab...Maybe they figured that was a good idea??

Alberta does have a stat every month. Back in the late 1980s the provincial government (Premier Don Getty) brought in Family Day for the month of February.

Hmmm.... Newfoundland has stats for, amongst others:
Rememberance day (Nov)
Memorial day (May)
St Georges'
St Patrick's
Orangemen's

OH YEAH there is also something called

Regatta day (you wake up, listen to the weather report - good weather and you have the day off, Lousy weather and you get up - go to work, stat is rescheduled to another day)

...... such practical people :)

CHIMO!

geo said:
Hmmm.... Newfoundland has stats for, amongst others:
Rememberance day (Nov)
Memorial day (May)
St Georges'
St Patrick's
Orangemen's

OH YEAH there is also something called

Regatta day (you wake up, listen to the weather report - good weather and you have the day off, Lousy weather and you get up - go to work, stat is rescheduled to another day)

...... such practical people :)

CHIMO!

Are you serious? That's bloody amazing? The rest of the country gives them flak all the time and here they have this genious "good weather" holiday. Wow

hehe..... t'was my reaction too when I first moved to Labrador City.

yeah in Alberta March and June are the only months with no stats (06, and 07 at least)

author=geo link=topic=52461/post-470418#msg470418 date=1162076396]

WoW! and what month is it ?

A day off also means people spending at the stores, some will suffer others will do well.

Yrys said:
WoW! and what month is it ?
Regatta Day is probably the only Municipal Holiday in Canada that is dependent on the weather. If it is raining or too windy, the holiday is simply put off until the next suitable day.... In St Johns', it was Aug 2nd in 2006

NL_engineer.... I think we have some jealous people :)

Back