• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Ontario Laws for Young Drivers

If Nanny McSquinty doesn't get voted out next election you'll have to wear a football helmet in the shower.

I think he might be out of luck. A quick read of the link below certainly sets the precedent.

Manitoba GDL regulations: LINK

One enters the GDL programme at 16 years of age, and it lasts 60 months. However, the 60 month period is not reduced by starting older. Interesting to note is the requirement for 0% BAC for 36 months during the first full licence period. The upshot being one could be 25 years old and still have to drive alcohol free (given that you got your learner`s as late as 21 years of age).

ModlrMike said:
I think he might be out of luck. A quick read of the link below certainly sets the precedent.

Manitoba GDL regulations: LINK

One enters the GDL programme at 16 years of age, and it lasts 60 months. However, the 60 month period is not reduced by starting older. Interesting to note is the requirement for 0% BAC for 36 months during the first full licence period. The upshot being one could be 25 years old and still have to drive alcohol free (given that you got your learner`s as late as 21 years of age).

It should be based upon your initial license. Whether you get it at 16 or 60. If it's your first one, you serve the probation period. Then it would be equal.

If anyone hasn't noticed, the current Ontario government isn't young adult friendly.

I think he is out of luck as well, even with his "age discrimination" line of defence.  Age is already set as to when you can get a Driver Lic, when you are old enough to purchase liquor, when you are old enough to vote, etc.  He really has to find how Age Discrimination is being applied.

What he may land up doing is raising the Legal drinking age in ON, raising the age one must be to get a Dvr Lic in ON, and perhaps raising the Voting Age in ON.  Wouldn't he be surprised.

Tango18A said:
I think the law change is a good thing. Most 18yr olds in Ontario look forward to the day they can go into a Liquor store legally and buy a 24 drive to the lake with some buddies and then try to come home. If the stats support the provinces case then too bad. It suck to be a young driver, but the fatalities speak for themselves.

You got your provinces mixed up. The legal here in Ontario is 19 not 18 as in Alberta.

Retired AF Guy said:
You got your provinces mixed up. The legal here in Ontario is 19 not 18 as in Alberta.

;D  That is why 18 year olds in ON look forward to that day that they can legally buy beer (Their 19th birthday).

George Wallace said:
;D  That is why 18 year olds in ON look forward to that day that they can legally buy beer (Their 19th birthday).

When you put it that way, you are so right.

recceguy said:
It should be based upon your initial license. Whether you get it at 16 or 60. If it's your first one, you serve the probation period. Then it would be equal.

Exactly.  I think there's a similar measure in New Brunswick as part of the graduated licensing system, and that seems to be the reasonable way to do it.

George Wallace said:
Age is already set as to when you can get a Driver Lic, when you are old enough to purchase liquor, when you are old enough to vote, etc.  He really has to find how Age Discrimination is being applied.

Again looking at New Brunswick, the Human Rights Act used to define 19 as the age below which it was permissible to discriminate on the basis of age.  (I see now that this provision was repealed in 1992 - no idea why.)  There may be a similar provision in other provinces.

It's certainly understood that there will be some things that children can't do.  Nobody wants three-year-olds to vote or six-year-olds to drink, but there has to come a certain age above which one can have all of the benefits of being an adult, including freedom from discrimination on the basis of age.  I'd suggest that it's something less than 21.

recceguy said:

I think it still is, and I agree. I was only focusing on the young adult group as it`s germane to the man`s argument.

I for one thought you weren't supposed to have any alcohol in your blood when driving regardless of age.

This is all rather silly if you ask me.

George Wallace said:

Exactly, no more borrowing a fake ID or steeling it out of the old man's fridge. And I think Mr. Wiener is in for quite a surprise. Discrimination is usually against an individual or small minorities. The 18-21 yr old band in Ontario is huge, and it just makes common sense. We as a society usually create a solution to a problem, hence the new law.

Back