• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Military Novel - FLASHPOINT QUEBEC

George killing ground isn't too bad I read it years ago and probably still have a copy gathering dust in my den. Some inaccuracies in it ( full auto FNs etc.) but a good tale. Like the fact that when the revolt comes almost all our regular army is overseas on various peacekeeping missions ( he even forshadowed the Balkans in 1968) and we have to hastily build up a new army out of Militia units.

A more recent look, and I think better one, on the Quebec scenario was "Victory" published a few years  ago. Can't remember the author etc as at work (will post it later when I get home). Very damning discussion on the political interference cuts etc. in the CF in that one.

What?  You never used a matchstick in the Sear?  How about the C-2?

Been some time since I read it so I only vaguely remember the storyline.

GW

"You never used a matchstick in the Sear?"

George shhhh!! that's still a National Secret!! ;)

George me do something like illegally modify and or tamper with an issued piece of military kit. Perish the thought.   ;) ;)

Anyway I forgot to post the details of the other novel I mentioned earlier.

VICTORY? A Novel of the Civil War in Canada
Rufus Marlowe 1992
ISBN 0-9696296-0-5

As I said a fairly good read.  Ne also gives a plausible explanation of what the Van Doos and other 5 Bde units might do in the event of a civil war. Marlowe was a former Militia officer with several of the Ontario and Quebec regiments that appear in the book. I actually recognized the fictionalized versions of a former CO and a long serving Sgt I had in my company as characters.

I have been waiting for a book about a Canadian civil war.  It is so unlikely an event that it is almost science fiction.  But what would happen?  Sure, we could bend over, touch our toes and ask Uncle Sam to "pwease come and save us from the Quebec-France domination plan ... but is this likely?  I think not.

I think the point of the criticism is that Canadians would NEVER (voluntarily) allow US military to intercede in a domestic dispute with one of the provinces.  Your premise seems to be a typically US-centric belief that US forces can and should roll in to save the world from itself.  Most of us on Army.ca seem to be serving CF members and most CF members generally have a high opinion of the US and especially the US military.  I also believe, despite Canadian media efforts to generate controversy and the self-confidence , that civvy Canadians also hold the US in high regard.

I'm not sure why any Canadian (especially this audience) would want to read a far-fetched book about an American intervention in a Canadian civil war?!  The idea of civil war in modern Canada is ridiculous in itself but to suggest that we would welcome a foreign military (even our best friend) to stick their nose into our dispute is just absolute crap.  Maybe if you suggested the UN stepped in?  I don't know if you folks down south noticed but we did not join you in Iraq.  Not only did we stay out of Iraq because we are focussing on finishing the job in Afghanistan but also because Canadians seem support the UN.  Please note:  I am one Canadian with no time for the UN's bungling and inaction.  I threw my blue beret in garbage after Rwanda amigo. I am in favour of cautious interventions (does Iraq qualify?).  I wouldn't mind it if y'all (because we know Canada, France, Germany et al will not help you) put an end to North Korean sabre-rattling and put the fear of God into some other, true WMD nations.  Good on yah USA.  I think the world needs the great white knight rides yet again in support of freedom everywhere.  And oil for our big SUVs too I guess.

I suggest you advertise your book in the US where there may be audiences who enjoy reading about the America riding in to save the day.  If you continue to advertise on Canadian sites like this you had better get used to critical comments.  I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.  Maybe you will write a more plausible Quebec separation story in the future.  Let us know. 

Release Section,

Yeah, but did you read the book? Your synopsis reads more of puffed up anti US rhetoric, than a solid review.

"It is so unlikely an event that it is almost science fiction"

It is fiction

"I'm not sure why any Canadian (especially this audience) would want to read a far-fetched book about an American intervention in a Canadian civil war?!   "

Why not? A little light reading, now and then, never hurt anyone.

"The idea of civil war in modern Canada is ridiculous in itself"

And your so sure, why? Nothing is impossible, just highly improbable.

"I don't know if you folks down south noticed but we did not join you in Iraq.   Not only did we stay out of Iraq because we are focussing on finishing the job in Afghanistan but also because Canadians seem support the UN.   Please note:   I am one Canadian with no time for the UN's bungling and inaction.   I threw my blue beret in garbage after Rwanda amigo. I am in favour of cautious interventions (does Iraq qualify?).   I wouldn't mind it if y'all (because we know Canada, France, Germany et al will not help you) put an end to North Korean sabre-rattling and put the fear of God into some other, true WMD nations.   Good on yah USA.   I think the world needs the great white knight rides yet again in support of freedom everywhere.   And oil for our big SUVs too I guess."

Pure anti US rhetoric, and nothing to do with the book.

"I suggest you advertise your book in the US where there may be audiences who enjoy reading about the America riding in to save the day.   If you continue to advertise on Canadian sites like this you had better get used to critical comments."

The majority of the posts seem to indicate otherwise.

"I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.   Maybe you will write a more plausible Quebec separation story in the future.   Let us know."

Nice to close out the "shit sandwich" with a slice of bread.

Recce guy, thanks for providing some covering fire against Release Section. Sounds like his U.S. hatred got the better of him based on my book synopsis alone. Obviously he hasn't read my FICTION novel.

First of all Release Section I was authorized by the owner of this web site to advertise my product, you don't have a say in who advertises or not. It's not your call. Secondly, my advertisement's cost me money out of my pocket. That money goes to the functioning of this site so you may have the freedom to spew your opinions. So thank me instead of criticizing me personally. Thirdly, I chose this site because the target audience I am trying to reach is precisely infantry soldiers in both the U.S. and Canada. This isn't a freakin romance novel. My book advertisement has sold copies and has gotten good feedback from members of this site and has generated good discussion. This site is not just for Canadians. It's open to the entire world for anyone to post in or advertise on if the owner so allows it.

Now, to suggest that Canada would voluntarily allow the U.S. to intercede into a domestic Canadian dispute is not the scenario I put forth. Canada calls on NATO membership and the U.S. provides military support to enhance the Canadian military objectives of suppressing an attack against its union by an illegal rebel force. It is a joint NATO operation hence the subtitle Operation Joint Suppression. So don't get your camouflaged panties all in a ruffle, the big bad U.S. doesn't come marching in on their own accord. In fact, you might blame the liberal democratic President in the book for using U.S. military assets in the wrong way. But guess you'll have to plop down some money, read the book and find out. Ooh, wouldn't that just get your goat.

To say that a Canadian civil war is modern Canada is ridiculous is like saying that Tom Clancy's scenario of having commercial airplanes plowing into government institutions just won't fly. If civil war in Canada is so ridiculous then why did the Canadian government impose the War Measures Act during the October Crisis in 1970? Certainly, you would consider thirty years ago "modern" Canada. Some of those same players, the FLQ terrorist group, who caused the problems back then still exist today. And just back in the stone age of 1995 a vote of secession was missed by 1%. The scenario I put forth is that an ultranationalistic Quebec leader emerges that galvanizes his province into changing their views on secession and in fact the province votes that way. History backs me on the power of nationalism.

My research revealed that military intervention was a very likely scenario in the face of a break up of the Canadian Union. Some of the rhetoric I use in my book is based on rhetoric from your own Parliament members in the land of reality.

Lastly, the book is about fighting men on both sides of the battle and my umost appreciation for the heck that soldiers go through to complete a mission. This is essentially a fighting man's urban combat scenario. It is a study in lessons learned. It is a HYPOTHETICAL fiction novel for your entertainment and escapism. Enjoy, and relax, chill out and calm down friend.

Michael,don't take it too seriously. Not everyone is going to be a fan of any book. Funny how it's easier to sit back and poke holes in someone else's work than to create something of your own...

Cheers

Ok....NOW I'm curious, I have to read the book! (proving once again there's nothing like controversy to bring attention to your subject).

I'm curious too. Is this still in print/available?

I also wonder a bit at the scenario; not that something like that could happen (heaven forbid), but that things could spiral even farther out of control than the brief synopis seems to indicate. How would Anglo partisans, Native people in the "Mohawk Nation" and "Cree Nation", biker gangs and other groups react to separation? I would suggest there would be a pretty chaotic situation at the very least, and a multi-sides civil war rivaling the Balkens at worst.

Anyone catch the recent CBC 4 hour miniseries H2O?

I think one of the writers must have read this book or at least this thread. After the PM (Paul Gross ) invokes the War Measures Act and deploys the CF, he finds out he hasn't enough troops (big surprise, as they're all overseas a peacekeeping as esplained by the CDS). There's a brief scene where he requests US assistance under some treaty. Next scene is Gordon Pinsent as the TV takling head announcing the 10th mountain Div is moving inot Quebec with shots of trucks convoys moving through the night.

There was a really paranoid book out in the late 80's early 90's which claimed the sole purpose of the 10th Mountain Division was to invade Canada....

a_majoor, yes, my book is definitely still available. If you are in Watertown, NY at Fort Drum it's at Borders Books. But your best bet is to order it online at amazon.com or visit my website directly and you can order it from there: www.publishedauthors.net/michaelkarpovage/index.html

In the political backdrop to the military operation in this book I did touch on how the Indian nations and Anglophones (mostly in Montreal) reacted in a secession vote but not too indepth. I tied their reactions into media reports as part of the escalation to military intervention.  First and foremost this is a combat novel. 3/4 of the story is focused on the urban battlefield and what's going through the heads of the soldiers on each side of the fight. I really wanted to portray how infantry would go up against M1 Abrams tanks (in the hands of a hostile Quebec Defense Force) all in an urban terrain (Trois Rivieres).  If you read this book you'll notice one of my biggest and most profound influences was from soldier's perspectives in the Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia in 1993. I've blended actual dialogue and radio traffic from real nonfiction battles and worked it into a fiction setting to get it as close to reality as possible. Along with some really good reviews from readers from this web site in particular, I've also been told by veteran combat U.S. infantrymen that I've captured the intensity of battle. So please pick up a copy and enjoy!

Danjanou, if you have any information or links or specific names on that CBC miniseries h20 please pass on to me. I would love to know if someone did read my book or I would love to send my book to one of those individuals. I'll take any publicity I can generate. I don't have Tom Clancy's publicity department budget to work from!

Michael Karpovage
Author of Flashpoint Quebec

Michael sorry no contacts a the Mother Corp. I'm sure a search of their website should get you what you're looking for though

Good idea Karpovage, I hope it's a cautionary tale as well as entertainment. I will have to read it just to find out how the QDF gets MBTs. What are the odds the taxpayers in any Canadian Province will cough it up? I can't see the French handing out Leclerc's for free any time soon.
As for the rest of the plausibility, remember when (I think it was) Preston Manning beaked off in the House of Commons to the effect that he would be willing to send in the Canadian Army to protect the Natives if Quebec separated and began oppressing them? It must have been around 1993 because I had just done a tour and I wondered if the Croations would send UN peacekeepers to create a safe area around Kanesatake.
You must create a franchise for this theme. Did you look up Doug Christie from Victoria in your research? Imagine him as a Head of State for the Republic of Western Canada. I saw him in Edmonton handing out literature with a guy the Nazi skinheads in the Ambassador proudly informed me was a Klansman from Texas. You could save yourself a lot of work for the next few books by taking a history of the Croatian Wars and changing the names and places to Canadian ones.
More plausibility - here's a scene for the next book: A reporter confronts the Canadian Prime Minister and says "you can't ask the Americans to violate Canadian Soveriegnty by sending troops onto our hallowed soil!" The hated, yet respected, intellectual PM says,"just watch me". (then he gives us the finger)
Maybe the 10th Mountain Div is designed solely to invade Canada. Is that so bad? The US has to secure it's northern flank, and why should the US ever trust us to defeat the Russians (or whoever) and secure its territory. How many Canadian Divisions did Canada create solely to invade France and Italy? And didn't Canadian Staff Officers (having solved all other problems) maintain plans to invade the US even in the 1930s?
I met a few 10th Mountain Div guys in the Ironhorse in Kingston. I thought the were there because they were too young to drink in New York State. I had no idea the were recce-ing our vital national infrastructure for an invasion.

Oatmeal, I hope you read the book and enjoy it well. Not to give it away but here's a teaser, the QDF's MBTs are acquired with a bit of creative computer inventory control and a trip in the woods to conceal them. It's when they come out of hiding and head to Montreal is when the real action takes place - with a bit of help from the "mother" county, France.

Karpovage do you  know if your book is available in paperback and at  chapters ?  IT sounds relay good

It's definitely available in paperback (I have paperback) but I haven't seen it anywhere but on the author's site for order...

Thanks Mike I will have to check out just have to wait for Pay day just spent $550 getting the car fixed after hitting a dinning room chair on the 401 but what can you do .

Back