• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Military Novel - FLASHPOINT QUEBEC

karpovage

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello to all in the Army.ca forums,

I am Michael Karpovage, American author of the just-released combat novel called FLASHPOINT QUEBEC: Operation Joint Suppression. You might have noticed my new banner advertisement in this website. Please click on the ad and Buy a Book! You will not be let down by my interpretation of this "hot" Canadian topic of Quebec secession and the urban combat that results.

Here is a brief synopsis of what this fiction novel is about:

A NATO request for military assistance to Canada thrusts a U.S. Army 10th Mountain light infantry task force behind Quebec provincial lines on a moment's notice. Mission objective: take the airport and bridges and then allow the Canadian Army to pass through their positions. It was supposed to be a permissive NATO spearhead insertion into the St. Lawrence port city of Trois Rivieres aimed at bringing the breakaway province of Quebec back to negotiations in resolving its claim of secession from Canada. Instead, the American infantry unit is drawn into a violent urban battle with a column of main battle tanks from the revolutionary Quebec Defense Force, a force clandestinely supported by France.

Visit the U.S. Army‘s 10th Mountain Blizzard Newspaper review of this book at: http://www.drum.army.mil/blizzard/blizzard_archives/news.asp?id=8&issuedate=12-18-2003

This book features a disgruntled former commander of the now disbanded Canadian Airborne Regiment who was disgraced by the Somalia Affair -- Colonel Michel LaPointe now heads up the Quebec Defense Force and is preparing to defend his new nation. On the American side are a number of soldiers, in particular young 2nd Lt. Mike D‘Arata, facing his baptism by fire and his company commander Captain T.J. Karr, a veteran of the Battle of Mogadishu.

This is primarily a combat novel showing the chaos a battle may bring and a tribute to the "warrior" to make the public more aware of what soldiers go through in their profession so us civilians can sleep peaceably at night. The "colorful" dialogue, the adrenaline-pumping radio traffic and the picture painted puts you right in the thick of the fight. From CF-18 Hornets to Kiowa Scouts to the mighty M1-Abrams tank on down to hand-to-hand street combat, FLASHPOINT QUEBEC is definitely a page turner without the Hollywood ending. What happened for real in Blackhawk Down heavily influenced the scenario laid out in this Trois Rivieres-based battle.

Feel free to throw out some questions or e-mail me with more information. The book is available at www.amazon.com, www.barnesandnoble.com and www.publishamerica.com. Or call your local bookstore to order it. the ISBN # is 1-4137-0176-0

Pretty soon Mike Bobbitt (owner/moderator of Army.ca) will be conducting an interview on one of the forums. He‘s getting a signed copy of the book now. Please don‘t pass up your chance for some good entertaining reading. Get a copy now and open the discussion!

Thank you,

Michael Karpovage

Welcome aboard. I guess I‘ll have to grab a copy and give it the review treatment here. Don‘t worry I ‘ll be gentle. :D :D :D

Danjanou, I really appreciate your interest. I tried to give an objective opinion on both sides of the secessionist issue but also through the eyes of soldiers. Obviously, being American and writing about the American 10th Mountain you can definitely tell my persuasion but I did raise some thought-provoking issues in the book. If you ever read Blackhawk Down, my book is even more chaotic in the battle scene. In fact, 3/4s of this book is the urban battle in Trois Rivieres.

You‘re in good hands, Danjanou is the best reviewer we have here... Very detailed, well thought out and never passes a fault. ;)

Looking forward to seeing the review...

Sounds interesting Karpovage, Is your book similiar to anything written before (by you or someone else) or is it completely unique? Just asking because I‘m very picky about military literature, especially fiction, and would like to know if it‘s like anything I enjoyed previously.

East Side, I of course had my influential authors that I liked and tried to emulate such as Clancy‘s earlier novels, Harold Coyle, Dale Brown, Larry Bond, Ralph Peters. And John Antal‘s "Combat Platoon Leader" and "Proud Legions". What they did in these novels and what I tried to do was switch back and forth from each combatant‘s side as the action takes place. This is a chronological layout in that you can follow minute by minute in some cases as the action unfolds getting both sides perspectives and confusion.

What I personally didn‘t like in some combat novels is the romance crap thrown in there for marketing sake. So, no kissing while the bullets are flying.

One thing I also did which readers have found quite interesting was that I gave historical perspective on issues. These were just a page interwoven into the plot such as FLQ‘s early role in secession and the roots of their cause, or a quick historical fact about the Iroquois Nation descendent (10th Mtn Major) and his ancestoral fight with French settlers, or even a play off of U.S. operations/missions in Persian Gulf War 1 and 2 and Afghanistan. So, I‘ve taken historical fact and built the characters/soldiers with veteran experience.

If you like or read Blackhawk Down, I was heavily influenced by that action. So, you could almost say this is a lessons-learned book too. In fact, I lost all respect for former President Clinton on that day October 3, 1993. My animosity and the shared animosity of alot of U.S. soldiers for Clinton‘s actions and lack of actions are definitely expressed in angry manner through the eyes of my characters.

I strove for realism and according to the military journalist at the 10th I came pretty close. She said the Infantry would definitely enjoy this. Hope you get one. Visit my website for more info and direct purchasing from the publisher.

Sounds like a great read! I‘ll make sure to get my hands on a copy. You nailed one my top military literature pet peeves with the romance remark. Along with over-done political correctness and technical errors, nothing PO‘s me more than the unnecessary romance element in these novels. It should be saved for other books. As for Black Hawk Down, perhaps my favorite movie and non-fiction book and most heart-breaking recent military action (can‘t stand the sight of those ***holes dragging the bodies of those American soldiers around, the decisions made by high-ranking political figures, Clinton, also pi$$ed me off). Two questions for you: how technically accurate do you feel your book is? and are you planning/writing any more?

East Side Soprano, I would say I am exceptionally technically accurate. For instance, when I introduced the Kiowa Scout chopper of the 10ths 3-17th Air Cavalry I went into the details of the Mast-Mounted Sight (MMS) or that three-eyed head on top of the main rotor that gives the imagry for the 2-man crew. I actually interviewed a member of the 3-17th to also get some key "realistic" information.

In the Sniper scene I also went into great detail on the process of taking a sniper shot. I‘ve read One Shot, One Kill from one of the greatest snipers of all time - Marine Carlos Hathcock. Plus watched a training video and used terminology in the steps one would take in releasing an accurate shot.

Terminology was important to me and I strove to get it correct because it‘s guys like you who I wrote for and are my main audience.

In the CF-18 Hornet scene I read Scott O‘Grady‘s book of when he was shot down over Bosnia and did his E&E. I used radio traffic in that real incident and superimposed it for my plot. So, I‘m pretty confident in saying the book, terms, equipment are accurate.

I plan on writing something in the near future - the seeds ARE planted.

I‘d be interested in the book but my concern is that the Canadian Forces is very much overshadowed by the US military or we are made out to be incompetent, can you assure me otherwise?

Ex-Dragoon, no I did not make the CF incompetent sounding or anything of that nature nor do I have any reason to think so. But yes, unfortunately the CF is overshadowed by the U.S. 10th Mountain in the book. Is it essentially about the U.S. 2-14th Infantry vs. Quebec Defense Force. The CF are active though in the Operation. They are mobilised and deployed and make a ground march/assault on several avenues into Quebec but it is merely mentioned during the mission brief and some media excerpts after the engagement. I do however pose a question during the Presidential/Prime Minister Press Conference scene (in the words of a news reporter) about the understaffed, underequiped CF bases and one of reasons why the U.S. is called for support. No, but don‘t think anything along the lines of negativity towards Canadian Forces. You guys are highly-trained, ***-kickers and always have been in my opinion. You are partners the U.S can count on and have over the years despite the BS the media might hype up to the contrary.

So, please do purchase a copy if you are looking for a combat scenario in you own backyard albeit without alot of CF actually fighting. It‘s a straighforward, quick read that will get your adrenaline pumping and have you dreaming at night that you are one of the characters (a recent reader actually told me this) - so, I‘m not making it up.

mike

Excerpt from Flashpoint Quebec: This is fiction. This is a teaser. Click on the banner ad to purchase a book or the link below my signature.

21 June 2005. Washington Post, Washington, D.C. Newspaper Article.

QUEBEC DEFENSE FORCE FORMED. STATE TO STATE RELATIONS ANNOUNCED.

In a highly charged speech opening with the line, â Å“We will never let Montreal be controlled by the English aristocrats,â ? Quebec Premier Jacques DeMars announced the official formation of the Quebec Defense Force (QDF) yesterday. In addition, DeMars called for â Å“state to stateâ ? relations between Canada and Quebec.

Amid stalled secession talks, DeMars called on all able-bodied Quebec men and women to join the QDF to defend Quebec against the inevitable aggression brought on by Canada in hindering the new nation from governing their rightful territory. He added that, â Å“All Quebeckers must prepare and arm themselves for possible defense of their country.â ? DeMars urged the desertion of Quebec-born military personnel now serving in various branches of the Canadian Forces.

To the dismay of National Defense officials, one highly controversial Canadian Army officer has already taken that step. Retired Lieutenant Michel LaPointe announced his allegiance to the Quebec Defense Force, taking a sworn oath from the premier in a surprise ceremony at the Citadelle, the QDF's new headquarters. LaPointe vowed to serve and protect sovereign Quebec territory by all means necessary. He was appointed to full colonel by DeMars, a ranking he said was denied by National Defence officials earlier in his career.

As one of Canada's most decorated combat veterans, the now Colonel LaPointe brings a high degree of legitimacy to the formation of the Quebec Defense Force. He served in the Persian Gulf War during Operation Desert Storm and in Somalia during Operation Deliverance, both under 2 Commando of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. However, his role in the Somalia Affair brought controversy on what was once thought a shining career. He was found guilty of negligence as a company commander after the murder investigation of a Somalian teen at the hands of Canadian Airborne soldiers. He was demoted in rank from lieutenant colonel to first lieutenant. The Canadian Airborne Regiment was soon disbanded as a result of this investigation.

LaPointe's last assignment before retiring was at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier just north of Quebec City where controversy followed him once again. CFB Valcartier was closed in 2003 by Parliament in an ongoing effort to lower military spending and to shift the burden of defense to NATO allies, most notably the United States. LaPointe's role was overseeing the equipment during the transfer. Most military vehicles, equipment, and air squadrons were consolidated into existing units of the two remaining bases in Quebec â “ that of CFB Montreal and CFB Bagotville in the northern part of the province â “ while other equipment was put in mothballs, sold, or transferred to western Canadian bases. LaPointe came under fire for the alleged disappearance of some military property. No evidence was found against him but he was forced out of the military all together with a dishonorable discharge. The case is still being investigated.

A native of Quebec, LaPointe has been characterized as an aggressive commander demanding complete loyalty from his soldiers. He was considered a legend in combat and gathered a large following of ex-Airborne soldiers during the province's campaign for secession. This stunning announcement is sure to bring in more recruits to the QDF in upcoming months.

So Lieutenant Michel LaPointe, was a member of CAR and yet he is still only a Lieutenant??

"LaPointe came under fire for the alleged disappearance of some military property. No evidence was found against him but he was forced out of the military all together with a dishonorable discharge."

Again this a Lieutenant, he has have access equipment transfers and the like at that rank. And what type of eqiupment has gone missing??? I‘m sure the CF would know if their CF-18‘s Lav‘s or Leo‘s went missing. At least you could made the guy a major or a higher rank to reflex the position your giving him in the CF. But I don‘t think you‘ve done research into the CF, and your main point to a write cool US ops book and put down Canada at the same time.

And â Å“We will never let Montreal be controlled by the English aristocrats,â ? come on who uses that word now a days???

Its cool you wrote a book, but its all about Americans saving Canada‘s ***. Why don‘t you sell your book in the US. Quebec has 6 million people, and core if CF is still very strong, we would just recuit new new and take it back. If that‘s what the Canadian public wanted.

Your is just BS, The Canada would never be allowed the US to center stage in any op like this.

Your shouldn‘t even be allowed to sold on this forum, but their is freedom here too... believe it or not.

Radiohead, guess I was a success in teasing you and stirring your pot! I‘m laughing out loud because I spent a boatload of time researching this scenario and would have never ever even attempted a novel of this controversy had I not done my homework. So, before you make any more embarrassing remarks or accusations about my research or what the plot is please pick up a copy and read it, then pass your sweeping judgement. You merely read one page from a fictious news article.

In fact without giving away too much, LaPointe is a QDF Colonel in the book leading an armored force into Montreal when he and the Americans run into each other. At the same time the CF is making a major drive toward Montreal and Quebec City to suppress the rebel QDF. The 600 Americans don‘t save anyone‘s arse. Nor were they allowed to take center stage. There‘s was a minor permissive op to just land and take the airport and bridge. You do know what "permissive" means? The book is not about making the CF look bad at all - to the contrary. So get off your inferiority complex and start thinking a bit more positive about yourself and the CF okay.

By the way, as I did my research the FLQ (know who they are?) used lines such as, "english aristocrats" in their hate speech for secession. So, the colorful language is far from being outdated.

Cheers Mate!

For Christ sakes Radiohead, did you not read this portion of his post?

Karpovage
Excerpt from Flashpoint Quebec: This is fiction. This is a teaser.
Do you spend your time pointing out scientific absurdities in Star Trek as well?

Lighten up buddy. It‘s just a book

Of course its fiction, and not I don‘t get into absurdities in star trek. Karpovage gave a treaser and I know what I think of it. Its an opinion.

Just didn‘t like the use of forum to sell is US military book, that just set in Canada.

"By the way, as I did my research the FLQ (know who they are?) used lines such as, "english aristocrats" in their hate speech for secession. So, the colorful language is far from being outdated."

That was in the 60‘s and very early 70‘s.. so yes its out dated.

To the best of my knowledge he‘s a paid advertiser, and probably a welcome income source to Mike. We all enjoy (usually) this free forum - because of advertisers. You do seem a tad uptight...

He has indeed paid (in part with a copy of the book), and his support is much appreciated. (Especially with the recent hardware problems...) Having said that, opinions are always welcome - advertising doesn‘t equate to diplomatic immunity. ;)

I haven‘t read the book and don‘t have any feedback on it, but Mr. Karpovage has impressed me so far by being the most approachable author I‘ve encountered...

Cheers

Mr Karpovage,

A couple of months ago I saw your banner ad on this site, and clicked through.   I'm glad I did. I was ingrigued by the excerpts I read, and I ordered your book.   I was expecting to wait up to six weeks for your book to arrive, but it arrived in two.   It was a captivating read from start to finish.   Some of the subtleties of the Canadian political situation could use a bit of refining but I think you would have to live here to understand.   :)  

Having been down to Fort Drum on a FIBUA exercise just before reading the book, it was interesting to read about 10th Mountain having seen where they're from.   The base was empty though - everyone was over in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I would definitely recommend this book.

Best regards,

Philip Hunter

Back