• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New DEU ?!

I see nothing wrong with the status quo.

We should just leave things alone.

With the RCN especially, and the RCAF to a lesser degree, changing their stuff, it's simply a matter of time before the CA uniform is completely distinct to the element in regards to it's trappings. With no effort or cost on our part, just by leaving our things alone for awhile ;)

recceguy said:
I see nothing wrong with the status quo.

We should just leave things alone.

With the RCN especially, and the RCAF to a lesser degree, changing their stuff, it's simply a matter of time before the CA uniform is completely distinct to the element in regards to it's trappings. With no effort or cost on our part, just by leaving our things alone for awhile ;)

What has the RCAF changed?  (Serious question, since I'm kinda out of the loop here.)

E.R. Campbell said:
I have no dog in this fight, but, it seems to me that dark green has a well established place in the Canadian Army.

In fact, as I understand it, rifle green was chosen as the CF uniform colour back in 1968, specifically because of the well-established rifle tradition in British North America.

E.R. Campbell said:
I have no dog in this fight, but, it seems to me that dark green has a well established place in the Canadian Army.

I am not picking a fight with you, but I would prefer to see Rifle Green returned to the rifle and light infantry regiments as it once was their distinction, the remainder of the army would be in Khaki or a lighter OD Green. 

As for rank badges, I agree a Canadian system incorporating Canadian devices is necessary.  Our current naval derived rank system is very generic almost "dollar store" uniformlogy.  I would suggest the maple leaf as the basis with other devices to denote, junior, field, general officer grades.  Such as a cross sword and baton for Generals, crossed swords for Majors and Colonels and no device Captains, Lieutenants and maggots.  1 Leaf = first rank in grade, 2 Leaves = second rank in grade to a maximum of 5 leafs.  Pin on devices would save a lot of money on tailoring.  I see no issue with NCM rank as it is now in the army.

Ohhh, I would keep a single gold band on the sleeve for all those folks who seem to have issues on what is saluted and what is not saluted.

Dimsum said:
What has the RCAF changed?  (Serious question, since I'm kinda out of the loop here.)

New mess kit pattern, that's it.

So, no tax payer-funded change.

...and here I thought it would be something significant,...like more wrinkles allowed per square inch. :slapfight:

Dimsum said:

Not changed, just more distinctive to that arm, I guess. Like the colour and the wedge. Items like that.

Yes, before someone says it, the Army did wear wedge caps, but we don't anymore, nor have we for a very long time.

Pusser said:
In fact, as I understand it, rifle green was chosen as the CF uniform colour back in 1968, specifically because of the well-established rifle tradition in British North America.

Huh.  Learn something new every day.  I remembered someone in the QOR telling me it was b/c one of their senior officers managed to pull a fast one on the rest of the Army and get that colour approved (by another QOR senior officer?)  ???

As I recall, and it was a long time ago and I was serving in Germany at the time, the officer who modelled the first CF green to appear was QOR. One of the reports commented on the maple leaf cap badge as if it was going to be the new common one. Fiendishly clever plot, what?

If I were the CDS and one of my ECS came forward with this idea abotu getting new DEU I'd tell him to pound salt.

Fiscally restrained environment .....remember?

fraserdw said:
I am not picking a fight with you, but I would prefer to see Rifle Green returned to the rifle and light infantry regiments as it once was their distinction, the remainder of the army would be in Khaki or a lighter OD Green. 
If you are looking for a good way to flush away money, then sure having different uniforms within just the Army would be one way of doing that.

fraserdw said:
As for rank badges, I agree a Canadian system incorporating Canadian devices is necessary. 
Either you are being theatrical or you do not understand the meaning of the word "necessary".  Regardless, your statement is absolutely false.

fraserdw said:
Our current naval derived rank system is very generic almost "dollar store" uniformlogy. 
Our current rank system is functional, understood, and Canadian.  Your "dollar store" label is a disingenuous attempt at poisoning the well.  There is already a problem with CF mbrs knowing rank across environments, but at least it is still recognized; we do not need to further balkanize our forces by ensuring that rank is no longer recognized across environmental lines.

We are not the sort of pigs that can be bought and pleased with buttons & bows while operating budgets are being cut and benefits clawed-back.

Can someone please explain the problem with the current design of ranks? What exactly IS the problem that needs a change?

Old Sweat said:
As I recall, and it was a long time ago and I was serving in Germany at the time, the officer who modelled the first CF green to appear was QOR. One of the reports commented on the maple leaf cap badge as if it was going to be the new common one. Fiendishly clever plot, what?

First, regarding badges of rank we are looking for a problem on which to impose a solution.

Second, why rifle green? We were meekly going where no one went before, and the new uniform could not be brown, tan, air force blue or navy blue. About the only choice left was green and rifle green was more attractive than pea green, forest green (used by the USMC) or just about any other green.

RDJP said:
Can someone please explain the problem with the current design of ranks? What exactly IS the problem that needs a change?

There is NO problem with the current system IMO. People want to change for the sake of change or to get back with our "British" roots.

Off with their heads I say!!

Back