• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New DEU ?!

jollyjacktar said:
My father was a museum curator at the end of his working career.  One of the artifacts I remember was a hat form.  It basically was a wooden oval which was cut in half with a screw system that would make the oval stretch.  This would shape a hat from the unnatural circle to a more head shape of an oval or sorts.  Wish I had one for my @#$%#@$% peak cap, but I'll try getting rid of the plastic ring.  Mind you, I doubt it'll make me look as cool as Gunter.

Visit a Haberdasher, they should have one.

jollyjacktar said:
Even if I managed to look as cool as those guys, I'll wager my Cox'n would not agree.

Haven't had a ring in my hat since Venture. Never had a coxn nor XO (and I have served with some real pusser ones!) say a word to me.

FSTO said:
Haven't had a ring in my hat since Venture. Never had a coxn nor XO (and I have served with some real pusser ones!) say a word to me.

Seeing as how the hat is made of plastic, it will hold it's form fairly well, so I really don't see the issue.  If someone wants to remove the ring, so what?  The only real advantage I've found with the ring is that it prevents the hat from getting crushed when you bang it on the deckhead.  I actually think I've avoided a few concussions that way  ;D.

I also don't see how removing the ring will improve the comfort, since it only shapes the crown and has no bearing on the part that sits on your head.  If we really want to improve the naval cap, I would say it would be better to adopt the USN design of a frame with a removable cloth cover that can be washed and/or replaced as necessary.  It would look better (i.e. easier to keep clean) and be lighter and breath better than the current foam-lined plastic thing.  I suggested this to the Maritime Clothing and Dress Committee a few years ago, but they didn't see the "need."  Perhaps they "need" to wear their plasic hats in the sun a little longer?  Or perhaps, they already have been?  :nod:

Pusser said:
...When I'm talking about sailor suits, I mean the whole thing - bell-bottoms (more like flared - even the RN has dropped bell-bottoms), gunshirts and jumpers with collars.  I agree that it's unlikely we'll ever see that again, but then again, if you'd told me three years ago that the executive curl and RCN would return, I would have thought you crazy then too.

Is that what you folks would call "square rig"?

Yours aye,
G2G

Good2Golf said:
Is that what you folks would call "square rig"?

Yours aye,
G2G

Yes.  "Square rig" is the traditional sailor suit (what the USN calls "Cracker Jacks" from the picture on the Cracker Jack box).  It includes the seaman's cap (originally described as an officer's cap without brim/visor), a square-necked "gunshirt," jumper with collar, silk (scarf tied with tapes at the front), seaman's lanyard and bell-bottom trousers.

Yes.  "Square rig" is the traditional sailor suit (what the USN calls "Cracker Jacks" from the picture on the Cracker Jack box).  It includes the seaman's cap (originally described as an officer's cap without brim/visor), a square-necked "gunshirt," jumper with collar, silk (scarf tied with tapes at the front), seaman's lanyard and bell-bottom trousers.

I don't want to be the bitch here but when I read this all I could think of was the Village people. Sorry.

Pusser said:
I also don't see how removing the ring will improve the comfort, since it only shapes the crown and has no bearing on the part that sits on your head.  If we really want to improve the naval cap, I would say it would be better to adopt the USN design of a frame with a removable cloth cover that can be washed and/or replaced as necessary.  It would look better (i.e. easier to keep clean) and be lighter and breath better than the current foam-lined plastic thing.  I suggested this to the Maritime Clothing and Dress Committee a few years ago, but they didn't see the "need."  Perhaps they "need" to wear their plasic hats in the sun a little longer?  Or perhaps, they already have been?  :nod:
The big comfort-improver is ripping out the foam and other associated crud, and cutting out most of the stuff around the inside of the cap - leaving only the padded segment. Not sure if all that was supposed to keep it warm in the winter, but all it does in the summer is soak up sweat. Not really amenable to cleaning, either.

Only downside is the cap then develops a dent from your head - not noticeable when worn, but can be seen when it's off your head.

I've never looked closely at pre-unification white caps, but have the impression they're much more lightly built than the current item.

Maybe it's time to bring back two caps? Warm blue wool for winter, lightweight white canvas (or whatever) for summer?

Yaaarrrrrrrrggghh

If the RCN gets pirate gear and lusty wenches to serve in the Wardroom, I'm switching over.  ;D

Pusser said:
Such would be the natural order of things.  ;D

In all seriousness though, I have heard discussion of changes to buttons and bows, but nothing of a full re-design of the actual uniform.

Any mention of what those changes might be, or which buttons and/or bows?  The funny thing with uniforms is that changes start with minor tinkering but usually take on a life of their own.  I'd be curious to hear what the dress empire might have in store.

I now return you to your navel-gazing....or is that naval-gazing?  ;)

I just wish they'd give us Army types a freaking lightweight uniform as promised when they ditched the tans before they start thinking about making other changes.  :mad:

Bring back the tricorn hat, the straw boater for junior sailor Yhar
Make it a tradition for Trafalgar day!

Yeah and while we're at it, we can bring back the scarlet battledress and the gorget for junior officers. Now that'll impress the hell out of the Taliban,  ;D

PMedMoe said:
I just wish they'd give us Army types a freaking lightweight uniform as promised when they ditched the tans before they start thinking about making other changes.  :mad:

Not before they put the RCN's High Collar Whites on logistik.

There is ALSO a new Men's Winter Boot.  Info again from Logistik Unicorp site:

DND continues to seek cost saving measures and improve the quality of the products being offered through Clothing Online. One approach is the removal of items showing very low usage after the initial issue. An example is the Men's Rubber Overboots: Survey results showed only 11% of 27,000 men surveyed actually wear the Overboots and that 68% would prefer to see them replaced by a Men's Winter Boot. Therefore by removing the item as an initial issue item we are capable of providing a better product for those who wear it as part of their daily dress during winter months.

About the new boot

Classic design with single slide-fastener

- Water-repellent leather

- Insulated for comfort: Front of boot and underfoot lined with wool; ankle with polar fleece

- High quality rubber sole provides excellent adhesion in winter conditions

Delivery/Additional Information

Delivery of orders is expected to begin in mid-December 2011.

It should also be noted that the Women's Winter boot will also now be issued as an optional item vice an initial issue item.

Groovy Baby!
[/quote]

It's almost like you're sober, and nobody p-pp-p-posted the info on the new Men's (soon-to-be-seen-in-Fashion-Weekly) Boot...

its ok....when in doubt....JAB!  :blotto:

Tango2Bravo said:
As for going back to traditional army rank pre-unification I think it would be fine. Change our DEU so something more "army" like khaki would also be fine.

I have no dog in this fight, but, it seems to me that dark green has a well established place in the Canadian Army.

troianiranger.jpg

qor.jpg

A-SHs_Canada-2.jpg

----------

With regard to rank badges, I feel that a more army system would be appropriate but I, broadly but not deeply, oppose returning to pips and crowns.

How about retaining the stripes on the cuff of the service dress (and mess dress) jacket ... as we did in the early 20th century.

capt.jpg

And how about a new, Canadian, system ... maybe something like:

1. US ranks for OCdt through Maj:
  1.1 OCdt - 1/2 bar (a bar similar to a US 2lt 1Lt bar but only half the width)
  1.2 2Lt - 1 bar, very much the same as a US 2Lt
  1.3 Lt - 1 and 1/2 bars
  1.4 Capt - 2 bars, very much he same as a US capt
  1.5 Maj - 1 maple leaf (a real, Canadian maple leaf) like a a US major
2. Similar to British ranks for LCol and Col:
  2.1 LCol - a maple leaf with a single bar (2Lt's bar) underneath (looks like a crown over a pip)
  2.2 Col - a maple leaf with two bars (Capt's bars) underneath (looks like a crown over two pips)
3. Generals - no change.

USI-012.JPG

2Lt bars - colours would vary (silver, gold, black, etc) by regiment, and material (woven or metal) by uniform

sku3581WEB.JPG

Capt bars - colours and material would vary, as above

!Byz3-3gBmk~$(KGrHqR,!jYEw45yVZQTBMTP,ue,Mw~~_3.JPG

Imagine, please, a maple leaf instead of a major's crown and
a 2Lt's bar instead of the 2Lt's pip

Back