• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New build Lee Enfields (AIA)

NavyShooter

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I picked up one of the new build "Enfields" from Wolverine Supplies.  This one is in 7.62x39mm.  Quite pleased with it, though with the weather of late, I haven't had it out to see how it groups, so the full assessment is not yet complete.

DSCN3149%20(Medium).JPG

Adding the scope leaves me with a chin-weld as opposed to a cheek-weld, so I'm probably going to pick up a cheek-rest, similar to that on my #4(T).

I've got a little Leupold VX-II 1-4x scope on it.  Intent is for this to be my rifle for hunting....ballistics are similar to the .30-30 and that's good enough for anything I'll be shooting at here in Nova Scotia.

This is a variant of the rifle that some have suggested as a replacement for the Ranger's old (and getting older) #4's.  I understand that there's been discussion of using this rifle in 7.62x51 as a straight-up replacement, but I'm thinking that there might be better options.

Anyhow, more photos at this link:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/econolodge/Rifle/

If you want a peek.

NS

I've always wanted to get my hands on a jungle carbine...I didn't know I could get one through Wolverine Supplies.

I own a #4

Shooter what is your opinion on this rifle ? I'm Thinking of picking it up too:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-norinco/M-14S.shtm

I have heard only good things about the M-14S  it is cost effective to any american made M-14 or M1A but I suggest to check out canadian gun nuts if you want information on the rifle.

Tar,

I've owned one of the M-14S's, and helped organize an M-14 Clinic (flew in the recognized Canadian expert on M-14's, Barney G from Collingwood.)  I've been hands on with over a dozen of them over the past few years, and not one was perfect, but all were good shooters, and one was even modified to Target standards with a big honking Stainless match barrel. 

They are a fine rifle, and the quality has improved significantly over the early '90's products that you hear about in the US the so called "Poly-Tech" M-14's.  I have Brinnell hardness testing results that someone e-mailed me showing them to be comparable to USGI M-14's in both receiver hardness, and bolt hardness.

Some of them have had issues with minor fitting and adjustment, and I've got the technology/tools to be able to shim the M-14's gas system, and check a few other things too.  If you buy one, drop me a line and I can help you look it over and see what may need doing with it.  Cost you a Large Timmies with Milk.

As for the Jungle-carbine, this is a new build, in 7.62x39, as opposed to the original .303 British. 

I own several #4's in various configs, from a .223 Target conversion to a 1950 Longbranch, to a 1944 #4 Mk.1 (T) Sniper.  I like my Enfields :)

NS

I don't think 7.62 x 39 is a long enough bullet for big game in Alberta, not sure about Nova Scotia.  After India converted to the FN-FAL they kept producing Lee Enfields but in 7.62 x 51 until they had sufficient FALs.  Not many years ago, Indian Police still had Lee Enfields, they still might.  Over the years there has been debate over whether it is wise to chamber Lee Enfields in 7.62 x 51 because the bolt does not lock in the barrel.

Dennis,

My understanding of the concern with the Indian 2A1 Enfield rifles was the metallurgy of the receivers.  They're based on the #1 Mk III action, rather than the stronger #4 Action.

My experience has been that when there's a problem with a #4 action, and the cartridge case blows up, it will result in explosive removal of the extractor, and a chunk of brass that had to be surgically removed from my friend's shoulder.

I don't know what a #1 action would do in the same situation. 

I do, however, also have a 1A1 FN from India, and honestly, it's worth the $99 I paid for it.

As for the x39 being enough for local game, well, I don't hunt much, but when I do, it's generally at distances of less than 100 meters.  It's got the oomph for that.

NS

NavyShooter said:
Tar,

I've owned one of the M-14S's, and helped organize an M-14 Clinic (flew in the recognized Canadian expert on M-14's, Barney G from Collingwood.)  I've been hands on with over a dozen of them over the past few years, and not one was perfect, but all were good shooters, and one was even modified to Target standards with a big honking Stainless match barrel. 

They are a fine rifle, and the quality has improved significantly over the early '90's products that you hear about in the US the so called "Poly-Tech" M-14's.  I have Brinnell hardness testing results that someone e-mailed me showing them to be comparable to USGI M-14's in both receiver hardness, and bolt hardness.

Some of them have had issues with minor fitting and adjustment, and I've got the technology/tools to be able to shim the M-14's gas system, and check a few other things too.  If you buy one, drop me a line and I can help you look it over and see what may need doing with it.  Cost you a Large Timmies with Milk.

As for the Jungle-carbine, this is a new build, in 7.62x39, as opposed to the original .303 British. 

I own several #4's in various configs, from a .223 Target conversion to a 1950 Longbranch, to a 1944 #4 Mk.1 (T) Sniper.  I like my Enfields :)

NS

Sounds good Shooter! I will take you up on that offer once I get the M14s for sure! Do you know of a local supplier in the HRM of is it easiest just to buy it online ?

My #4 is sadly one of the man that were sportized after the war and sold (probably through sears my grandfather says lol ) for hunting. I have always wanted to get a true unsportized version and the jungle carbine.

Tar,

Locals...um....try the Army Navy....they may have them, or just order direct from Marstar. 

I have dealt with both, and I will recommend going direct to Marstar.

NS

Hniatuk's (sp??) out past the airport may have them too.  Call first.

NS

Did not the UK use the SMLE in 7.62x51 mm for their sniper rifle for many years?

Interestingly, when they did the L-42 conversion, they also refurbed the #32 Telescopes to the L1A1 Standard, calibrating the drum to meters, and following the 7.62 round's ballistic path rather than the .303's.

NS

It's good to see a job fully done. Although I'm quite sure most of the non-paper targets would have wished differently. ;)

Canadian Arsenals Limited converted a number of Long Branch LE Mk 4's, to 7.62x51 in the 60's, consisting of new barrels, extractor and box mag.  Fired one on a pretty regular basis in  the late 70's, they functioned flawlessly. If you keep your eye open you'll see one every once in a while for sale. Very nice rifles.

Tango,

Here's a pic of my #4(T)....

Oct%2008%20132%20%28Small%29.jpg

Link for more and detail photos:

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/coffee/pics/4T/

:shooter:

:soldier:

NS

T18,

I've had her out a couple of times.  It's a fair-weather rifle for sure.  If there's more than a few clouds up, I don't haul her out.  I know she was made to take worse, but I'd rather not put a $4200 rifle that's 66 years old out in weather....

I haven't adjusted the scope at all, except for centering up the windage (some numpty spun it hard over to one side)

Her 2nd shot rung the gong at 265 meters....(4x6" target)

With the scope setting put on it 60+ years ago.

Now THAT is repeatability.

NS

Nice NS. I too had been looking at one of those for awhile.

I just finished rebuilding one of my grandfathers old No 4s. Excuse the PH P5C on this build, tried to stay old scholl and placate the old man :p

Best place for her, out on the line. Thanks for sharing NS. I have to get my crap together and get my license renewed. Then I can go get an enfield again.

I seriously considered getting one, the 5 rd mag put me a bit though, not to mention reloading yet another caliber. My friend has the 7.62x51 version, very nice rifle.

Back