• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NDP says Canadian military wrote Afghan president's speech

Jaydub said:
Jack Layton really doesn't have a clue what's actually happening in Afghanistan.

True, but he DOES have a firm grasp on what sways Canadian public opinion:  showing collusion between the newly militaristic CF (which has abandoned it's peacekeeping heritage) and the Bush-installed Karzai "regime".

Canada's war in Afghanistan will not be won or lost in Pashmul or Panjwaii.    It will be won or lost on the battleground of public opinion.

It would seem to me the NDP got spurred on by this recent documentary run on CBC; some question why the military even has a communication plan. Would they rather we say nothing and be accused of being secretive again?

http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/video/militaryafghanistan/selling_the_forces_1.html

heh.... so we came out of hiding and started to be "in your face"... who woulda thought we'd end up with the public supporting us more than they support politicians.

We should done this years ago!

Petard said:
It would seem to me the NDP got spurred on by this recent documentary run on CBC;
I saw that documentary.  I really liked Lew MacKenzie's view that the military should not be lambasted for communicating what it is doing.  We should be making noise against the failure of foreign affairs & CIDA to communicate their work.

. It will be won or lost on the battleground of public opinion.

Either you've been reading my mind or this is getting obvious.

I think a few notions need to get out to the Canadian public about
what happens if  the NDP gets their wish.
Of course they wouldn't accept responsibility for any disaster that occurs
because of a premature withdrawl. - I think Canadians need a stern warning is all.....

Hmmmm.

Today's NDP ...... the anarchy party.

Peace through capitulation ..... Vote NDP.

Democracy doesn't matter ..... with the NDP

Back to the bronze age ..... with the Taliban and the NDP

The NDP..... defeater of Afghan womens's rights.  

Never mind...... ;D

P.S. How hard would it be to get some Afghan civilians to chant "Down with NDP" on video?

Flip said:
P.S. How hard would it be to get some Afghan civilians to chant "Down with NDP" on video?

Don't know, you'd have to find a non-military scriptwriter.

The NDP has only one line of  thought. Attack the Conservatives, screw the Afghans, link everything to the Evil Bush, and may the devil take the hindmost.  Not too different from the Liberals (see Denis the Thug).

Yet at last Canada has entered the big leagues with our own satellite (Quisling?).  The awful power of the CF would make Donald Rumsfeld proud.  And make Ms. Black very, very afraid.

But then she probably already is.  Right.

Mark
Ottawa

Petard said:
It would seem to me the NDP got spurred on by this recent documentary run on CBC; some question why the military even has a communication plan.

Lets see, why would the CF have a communication plan.... 

Because its what every major organization in the world does?
Because its a requirement to have a plan before those controlling the money let you spend any?
Because its a good way to let everyone involved know whats going on?

Like, duuh!  That is one of the dumbest accusations I have heard...

Don't know, you'd have to find a non-military scriptwriter.

Oh! of course!

But, answer this because I don't know......

Don't you really mean a non-CF script writer?

BTW - I saw this episode of "Talking To Americans" last week

Funny.....

Wesley  Down Under said:
The NDP must be on drugs!

Wes

Worse, anyone who votes for them must smoke crack.

What a non-story.  The government commonly vetts the speeches of visiting dignitaries.  As well, President Karzai has been making very similar speeches around the world.

What a bunch of putzes.

RangerRay said:
Worse, anyone who votes for them must smoke crack.

What a non-story.  The government commonly vetts the speeches of visiting dignitaries.  As well, President Karzai has been making very similar speeches around the world.

I've tried to not post on this topic,  but I have to agree that it is common practice for the Canadian government to give rough outlines and suggested talking points to visiting dignitaries.  It allows them to understand how to make the best impression possible while visiting here. (We even do this for American presidents who come to visit - we really do.) 

Now as for all NDP supporters smoking crack... I was an NDP supporter, but I've never done crack (in fact I've not even tried pot)  If the NDP didn't take such a nonsensical view of the mission in Afghanistan, I'd likely still be a supporter. 

Karzai:  "Gee Brain, what do you wanna do today?"

CF:  " Same thing we do everyday Pinky, try to take over the world one speech at a time!"

I think the NDP have been hangin' out with the Marijuana Party too much. It's puff, puff pass Jack!

Zell_Dietrich said:
.... it is common practice for the Canadian government to give rough outlines and suggested talking points to visiting dignitaries.  It allows them to understand how to make the best impression possible while visiting here. (We even do this for American presidents who come to visit - we really do.)

As a matter of fact..... (shared with the usual disclaimer - highlights mine)

(BTWI, here's the speech if you want to see how "tainted" it is.  ::)  )

Afghan officials deny DND wrote speech
NDP allegations about Karzai's address 'insulting'

Mike Blanchfield, CanWest News Service, 26 Sept 07
Article link

OTTAWA - The Afghanistan government says the federal NDP is being "ludicrous and insulting" for suggesting that Canadian military officials wrote President Hamid Karzai's speech to Parliament last year.

The Afghan embassy in Ottawa issued the blunt denial after the New Democrats released documents obtained through Access to Information indicating the Department of National Defence provided "messages" and "themes" that were adopted by Mr. Karzai in his address to Parliament.

An internal military report, provided to the federal party under Access to Information, says members of the Canadian Forces strategic advisory team accompanied Mr. Karzai and his Afghan delegation to New York before his arrival in Ottawa last September for a historic address to a joint session of the House of Commons and the Senate.

It says that "at the request of president's office" the Canadian military team "prepared initial draft of president's address to Parliament Sept. 22."

The note goes on to say that: "It was noted that key statistics, messages and themes, as well as overall structure, were adopted by the president in his remarks to joint session."

NDP defence critic Dawn Black said the report is an example of how the Conservative government is trying to manipulate public opinion for the country's military involvement in Afghanistan.

"President Karzai's address to Parliament was an elaborately staged political stunt by this government to sell Canadians on the combat mission in Kandahar," said Ms. Black, who called Mr. Karzai a "front man" for the Conservative government.

The NDP has called for the immediate withdrawal of Canadian troops from Afghanistan.

Afghanistan's ambassador to Canada, Omar Samad, lashed out at the NDP, and said top Afghan officials, including Mr. Karzai himself, crafted drafts of the speech.

Mr. Samad said government officials from both countries shared information over several weeks as Mr. Karzai's trip was being planned.

"As is customary in diplomatic arrangements and co-ordination, they shared information about protocol, agenda, discussion items and other relevant bilateral issues," he said in a statement.

"To suggest otherwise is not only ludicrous and insulting, it is also sadly diverting attention away from the real issues we face as two nations."

A spokesman for Peter Mac-Kay, the Minister of National Defence, said there is nothing nefarious in a host government providing input for a speech by a foreign visitor.

"The NDP's attempt to undermine President Karzai's integrity shows once again its willingness to say anything as it opposes Canada's commitment to the United Nations and NATO to help Afghanistan," Dan Dugas said.

Mr. Karzai's speech before Canadian MPs and senators did not differ significantly in substance

from the usual theme of other international speeches he has given in recent years.

As he has done in most of his public appearances in the past five years, Mr. Karzai spoke of the need for foreign troops to remain in his country until it can protect itself from radicals and terrorists.

He cited both progress in reconstruction -- a doubling of per capita income to $355, six million children in school including more than two million girls, and 28% of the seats in parliament occupied by women -- but did not shy away from the problems that his country still faced.

He told Parliament that the Taliban insurgency in Kandahar had burned down 150 schools, denying 200,000 children access to education, while the illegal opium trade was threatening to destroy his country.

He thanked Canadians for the sacrifices of their "sons and daughters" who have laid down their lives fighting to secure his country's freedom.

Ms. Black questioned Mr. Karzai for failing to repeat controversial subject matter he used a day earlier in a speech in New York, when he criticized the accidental killing of Afghan citizens by NATO bombers.

Canada has not deployed fighter jets to Afghanistan and has so far not been implicated in any of the accidental killing of civilians there.

Ms. Black said the memo raises questions about whether a recent news conference in Kabul Mr. Karzai gave to Canadian journalists based in Kandahar was also a stage-managed event designed to disseminate "propaganda."

The embedded journalists were flown on a military aircraft to the Afghan capital especially for the press conference, where Mr. Karzai warned that if troops were withdrawn from his country, it would descend into anarchy.

Ms. Black called for an inquiry by the Commons defence committee on the military's communications strategy as well as an emergency debate in the House of Commons on that matter.

Yes, but you see, never having been elected as the national governing party, the NDP is blissfully ignorant (or can claim to be so) of any governing national party of Canada's interactions with visiting dignitaries and protocol.

Hopefully, too, they will remain so for eternity. I just can't imagine the themes they'd manage to suggest as talking points to some visitors. Gawd forbid Korea ever visit while they were in power ...  ::)

Now, Vern, don't you want to thee the Conservatives have a chance to attack the NDP for writing speeches for Mr Chavez, Kim Jong-Il, Mr Ahmadinejad, or any other of their peaceful worker-loving friends?????

Just think of how many downtrodden unfairly maligned world leaders could come to visit Canada?? I've been waiting most impatiently to hear from Hasan Nasrallah!

Now we wait and see which headline gets the most exposure:

Afghan officials deny DND wrote speech

or

NDP says Canadian military wrote Afghan president's speech

This will be a fair indicator of which "set of facts" is going to lead public opinion.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/09/25/ndp-karzai.html

I read this article this morning and I have had enough.

Its amazing what the opposition is willing to do in order to clamour their way toward more seats in the next election. Its like they have no plan, no vision. It seems like all their strategy surrounds making the government look bad and hoping that they’ll get more seats by looking like the least incompetent party.

But more than that, its disturbing to me, as a member employed in the service of this great nation, that members of those trying to form the government are actively trying to demonize people in uniform. This NDP “defence critic”, out right accused DND of manipulation. We have been accused in the past of abuse. We are constantly accused of “not doing enough”.

I’d like to know when we are going to be accused of making the lives of Afghans and Canadians better and safer. When are we going to be accused by members of parliament and some portions of the public of being professional, dedicated and some of the best Canada has to offer?

Reading the article I linked to above, makes me nervous that someone is trying to take over the company I work for just to drive it into the ground only out of spite that someone else is doing a better job than they can.

For some people the goal of our presence in Afg. is only to spread US imperialism. Proofs (according to them) that president Karzai is only an american and canadian muppet strongly reinforces that belief in their minds.

We all know that the speach-writer doesn't count for anything, it's the one that gives the speech that counts because he is fully responsible of what he says, not only for himself but also for the official function he occupies, and because in politics speeches are actions.

Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mr. McGregor's garden.

I am finding it a hard time to understand why the Department of National Defence did not immediately fire back with all their ability into fighting this...quite frankly, disgusting and degrading commentary by Dawn Black. To have her insinuate these things about the Canadian Forces is insulting at best, downright slander at worst. Peter McKay should hold a public lambasting of the NDP personnel who supported this idea. To have the military provide certain stats or talking points that the President would not have of the Canadian presence, is one thing, especially on this "first draft." But suggesting that this is some kind of monstrous machination of the military to push our own secret 'agenda' on Afghanistan is astonishing.

I somehow doubt that Hamid Karzai was relying on Canadian officials to write his entire speech for him. Just a thought.

Back