• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy Sword Belt Confusion

30 for 30

Inactive
Reaction score
Looking at the various photos covering Prince Charles' visit brought up a pet peeve of mine- Canadian naval officers wearing their sword belts on the outside of their tunics; witness the latest photos showing an east coast officer wearing the belt outside and west coast officers wearing them inside. I've seen a few other units wear the belt on the outside, and I've seen it done at NDHQ.
If I'm not mistaken the regs say wear inside, at the recent presentation of the new Colour (the biggest parade of the year) they were worn inside, and everywhere else in the Commonwealth they are worn inside. Not to mention that it looks retarded on the outside. Time to standardize and sort ourselves out. 

Actually; it is time that some people read the Regs.  That would do away with all this.

Senor Mono said:
Looking at the various photos covering Prince Charles' visit brought up a pet peeve of mine- Canadian naval officers wearing their sword belts on the outside of their tunics; witness the latest photos showing an east coast officer wearing the belt outside and west coast officers wearing them inside. I've seen a few other units wear the belt on the outside, and I've seen it done at NDHQ.
If I'm not mistaken the regs say wear inside, at the recent presentation of the new Colour (the biggest parade of the year) they were worn inside, and everywhere else in the Commonwealth they are worn inside. Not to mention that it looks retarded on the outside. Time to standardize and sort ourselves out.

Inside is correct.  It's unfortunate that this mistake is still being made.  (The parade commander at the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo was a conspicuous example a few years ago.  The SLt guard commander twenty feet behind him had it right, though.)

It would help if sword drill classes were always taught with the candidates wearing #1s.

The regs states that the sword belt  is worn under the naval jacket AT ALL TIMES (CF Dress Instruction, chap 3, sect 7, art 26. The air force wears hers on top and the army as a choice based on regimental customs.

I hate is when ppl presume what the dress policies are. If in doubt, read the damn thing. It'll take all of 15 minutes and may potentially save you a lifetime of embarassment.

Back